[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>From Far Japan Comes A Desperate Plea For Help! All new,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 98
>From Far Japan Comes A Desperate Plea For Help!

All new, all revamped, all deluxe!
The classic tale of science gone mad
And the iconic beat-em-up monster mash!
A title bout for control of fate of this very planet!

This is-
King-Size Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot: Deluxe Edition!
>>
>>82394456
Is this a story time or...?
>>
Featuring remastered colors from Dave Stewart.

I prefer them

>>82394478
Just a sec
>>
>>82394478
It would be very entertaining.
>>
>>
>>82394499
For you
>>
>>
>>
Man these new colors are just so...definitive.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
That is just horrifying
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>82394536
good ol' talkin' monkey in the control room
>>
>>
>>82394719
Nothing says classic than demonic dinos
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>82395676
>MOONPIG!
Most unexpected!
>>
>>
>>
>>82395942
Dr. Spider-Head was the best thing they could have cribbed into the cartoon.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
And that's all for now!

THE END,
As always I hope someone out there enjoyed this.
I always do, and even more now due to the swanky new special edition.
See you around.
>>
Is that all there is? Its great, but I want more.
>>
>>82396168
The 4th of July story came out 2 years ago.
Darrow is free to create more without Miller, but that's only if he feels like it.

There was a 2 season cartoon...check that out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_ljMDJ4uk
>>
>>82396239
I believe Darrow does movie work in between comic projects. Probably to rest
>>
>>82396294
I'm not giving up hope, a larger compendium of Big Guy and Rusty stories would be worth the double dipping.
>>
>>82395844
Well, there was an episode close to this.
Man, that one gave me the creeps as a kid.
>>
>>82397152
There was, yeah.
Fucking GOAT villain
>>
>>82397194
Yeah, but that society of 10 robots or whatever were better in my opinion.
That final assault on their base had so much hype.
>>
>>82397260
I think they were called the Legion Ex Machina.
The time travel episode was also a load of fun.
>>
>>82394622

damn...
>>
>>82397299
>Legion Ex Machina.
I need to rewatch that show.
Remember the one with those monsters under the ocean that were kidnapping people to make weird fish people clones?
>>
Damn. The art for this book is top notch.
>>
Cool.
>>
>>82396294
He only did the Matrix movies plus a little work on Speed Racer. Rumor I've heard is that he's rich from the Matrix sequels. There's that old story going around that Keanu gave 99% of his salary on the Matrix sequels to staff on the film, right? The word I've heard around Chicago's comic scene is that Darrow got like a solid million of it, because he was personally close with Keanu. He paid off his mortgage and just has the rest in the bank to live off, supplemented with what he makes at conventions, plus the occasional cover/poster/etc. which'll net him a few thousand bucks for a couple days work.
>>
thanks dave
>>
>>82396168
>>82396239

Theres also a Madman/Big Guy crossover.
>>
>>82399643
And a Martha Washington crossover too
>>
>>82396239
Oh yeah I remember the cartoon its where I first saw Big Guy and Rusty. The comic kicks ass I just would love to see more of it, but given the art I think its just a huge project.
>>
File: why does he wear the mask.jpg (43 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
why does he wear the mask.jpg
43 KB, 600x800
>>
>>82399664
>>
>>82399978
OH YOU
>>
>>82398016
He is also a raving asshole in person.
>>
File: recolor comparison.jpg (280 KB, 968x666) Image search: [Google]
recolor comparison.jpg
280 KB, 968x666
>>82396079
Thanks for the storytime! Books still as good as ever.

I don't know how I feel about Stewart's recolor. Like on one hand it's close enough to the original that it's not offensive, but on the other hand he makes some kind of boring color choices with a few background details.

Here's a comparison I found online
>>
>>82401799
I think his coloring is better balanced and makes Darrows art shine more.
>>
File: compare 2.jpg (279 KB, 900x666) Image search: [Google]
compare 2.jpg
279 KB, 900x666
>>82401799
Here's another with clearer differences. I'm debating which version I should buy
>>
>>82401892
I think the main reason for the recolor is that the hardcover has the new stories from Dark Horse Presents. So they went ahead and recolored the old stuff to make it more uniform
>>
>>82395136
>>82395150
Er... why does he think his bullets are nonlethal?
>>
>>82395407
>OOOGA CHAAKA
Are they seriously shoving a Guardians of the Galaxy movie reference in this? How creatively bankrupt can Frank Miller be?
>>
>>82401799
>>82401892
>le serious business color update
This shit needs to stop. Accept that you're a man-child and you're reading children's books as an adult. All the dark colors in the world aren't going to change that.
>>
>only one bane reference in this entire thread
What, too easy?
>>
>>82402804
>new version is actually more colorful and vibrant than the original

Life must suck to be an idiot.
>>
>>82403260
>more colorful and vibrant than the original
Nope, sorry. One look at the machinery/apparatus in the second comparison is enough to refute that.

I agree though, "Life must suck to be an idiot."(sic)
>>
>>82401568
I don't know if I'd use the term "raving" but yeah he's a grumpy old ass, and much like Jhonen Vasquez and numerous other assholes in comics, he seems resentful of the fact that people actually expect him to make new art.

The Shaolin Cowboy: Shemp Buffet GN he did last year is one of the biggest "Fuck you" gestures I've ever seen a creator send to their fans.
>>
>>82403415
>left
>mush of desaturated colors

>right
>carefully selected color-palette to support the narrative (cold machinery vs. otherworldly green).
>>
>>82403653
>The Shaolin Cowboy: Shemp Buffet GN he did last year is one of the biggest "Fuck you" gestures I've ever seen a creator send to their fans.

Explain? I didn't get that before it went OOP
>>
Is Big Guy supposed to be AI in the comics or is he still a mecha like in the cartoon?
>>
>>82403654
Sorry, no. Enjoy my last reply though.
>>
>>82403853
Maybe if you read the thread, you would have seen the panels where it is stated that he is just a guy in the suit.
>>
>>82403760
So it takes him like four years to release seven issues of Shaolin Cowboy, and then he goes totally silent with no new comics for like six years. He finally releases this four-issue miniseries/graphic novel, right?

It's basically a single 100 page fight scene. That sounds cool, right? It's really fucking not. The angle literally doesn't move for 45 consecutive pages. It's a static shot of the Shaolin Cowboy fighting off undifferentiated waves of generic zombies.

The entire comic, start to finish, takes about five minutes to read because you realize after about ten pages that it's an endless, monotonous jerkoff.

And worst of all at the end of the comic, when the Shaolin Cowboy finally defeats all the zombies, he abruptly gets his brains blown out by a random sniper. Zero foreshadowing. The sniper was a random college fratboy character introduced in an earlier issue, but nothing about him being a sniper or even having a gun. The "joke" is that the frat boy is literally just a dumb frat boy and he killed SC for fun. Six years of no new comics, ten plus years wanting to see the story develop, and Darrow abruptly and pointlessly kills his main character with zero story payoff.
>>
>>82404081
Darrow is a true auteur.
>>
>>82404081
Oh wow fuck that. So would you say the hardcover isn't even worth it?
>>
>>82394456
>Big Guy
>>
>>82394456
Obligatory banepost
>>
>>82404437

If you're a Darrow fanatic it's kind of cool to own as an art book, but it isn't an interesting comic.

>>82404408

That's one word for it.
>>
>>82394456
Tell me about designated dave, why does he makes such good storytimes.
Lots of loyalty for a hired anon
>>
>>82404568
Not a fanatic, but I do really like him. Maybe I'll stick with Hard Boiled and Big Guy and Rusty
>>
>>82403911
Huh. I missed that.
>>
>>82405229
There's a bunch of dialogue about the dinosaur thing having psychic powers and being able to read his mind and tell that there's a human under all the machinery.
>>
Darrow REALLY likes to draw dogs, don't he?
>>
>>82395622
"The Lunch That Came To Dinner"...best title.
>>
>>82407384
>>
>>82405262
Yeah I reread the comic and realized that. I think I just expected him to actually leave the suit, but he didn't so I wasn't entirely sure.
>>
>>82404408
>>82404081
>>82404437
>>82404568
Darrow is one of those guys who's an artist, but not a writer.

Hasn't stopped him from trying though.

He's a master of his craft, but he needs to know his limits. Honestly, even the "good" parts of Shaolin Cowboy are lacking in writing quality and only worth it for the art.
>>
File: for the love of god please stop.png (542 KB, 551x572) Image search: [Google]
for the love of god please stop.png
542 KB, 551x572
>>82395407
>>
Another bump
>>
>>82410592
You know, I never understood why Darrow doesn't collaborate with other writers, seeing as Miller doesn't seem to want to anymore.

I mean an Ennis/Darrow collab on War Stories, or a sci-fi collab with Jodorowsky where he could just go crazy would be awesome.
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 98

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.