[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else have this game just to play around with the character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12
File: 514010-1.jpg (105 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
514010-1.jpg
105 KB, 800x640
Anyone else have this game just to play around with the character creator and make the superheroes we imagine in day dreams? I mean, the game itself isn't bad, and the lore is actually pretty fun once you get into it, but I spend way more time just making characters, all the way to their alter egos and origin stories. I've wanted something like this since I was a kid.
>>
File: radiationriot.jpg (21 KB, 302x576) Image search: [Google]
radiationriot.jpg
21 KB, 302x576
>>82392154
I preferred City of Heroes in every way, shape, and form. Including the character creator.
>>
>>82392353
I played City of Villains back when it first came out, but I never really got too deep into it. I've heard that a lot though, that CoH was the best superhero mmo of all of them. What did it do that Champions doesn't?
>>
File: deuceospades.jpg (39 KB, 403x696) Image search: [Google]
deuceospades.jpg
39 KB, 403x696
>>82392409
It's hard to say. Maybe it had the more interesting world. I preferred CoH's more traditional MMO gameplay too, queuing up actions that had cool downs, compared to Champions "real time" style.

Maybe it's just that CoH was first and everything after just isn't the same.
>>
I did, back when the game first came out. Since it went f2p and gimped free players on the costume pieces, it's hardly got the same appeal. I made a real classic looking Lightning powered member of the spandex brigade back in the day though.
>>
>>82392550
I don't know, I've been able to create a fairly wide variety of characters within the limitations they give you. I've been playing a lot of free to play MMOs lately though, so I'm used to that sort of model. I actually really like the free to play system for the most part.
>>
>>82392486
I don't remember much about it's world. What was it's lore like? I really like Millennium City built on the ruins of Detroit after it was destroyed in Champions
>>
File: Black Ronin.jpg (294 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Black Ronin.jpg
294 KB, 1360x768
>>82392353
>>82392486
;_;7
>>
>>82392680
Alien invasion fucks over the city, new heroes are needed to continue battling the forces of evil

OR

Supervillain founds country exclusively for criminals, runs it with his Hydra-esque organization, villains stage a massive breakout with a deeper purpose
>>
>>82392902
I think the biggest thing CoH had over Champions was the ability to play as a villain, giving you a completely different perspective on the world. Champions kind of make up for it though with letting you create your own arch nemesis in the game.
>>
File: screenshot_121113-06-58-42.jpg (383 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_121113-06-58-42.jpg
383 KB, 1920x1080
>>82392902
It also actually HAD lore, as opposed to champions which relies purely on pop culture references
>>
>>82392154
>>82392550

Yeah I actually bought it and played it but stopped because MMORPGs suck in general and don't appeal to me. When I came back to the free version with a friend, it was so changed up it wasn't fun anymore.

But I love the world and the characters and Dr. Destroyer was a bad ass villain. I love his character design, it's like evil Dr.Fate.
>>
>>82392902
oh shit forgot Praetoria

You are a citizen of parallel universe that has been all but destroyed by eco-terrorists, save for one city. You have a choice of serving the dystopian government as an enforcer, or resisting their tyranny. With both, you can be a cock or a nice guy. You eventually get the choice to enter our Earth as a hero or villain

The situation deteriorates, and at time of shutdown, Praetoria had been completely destroyed and the last refugees had fled to our Earth
>>
File: mementomori.jpg (44 KB, 398x707) Image search: [Google]
mementomori.jpg
44 KB, 398x707
>>82392902
I loved breaking out of jail as a new villain. It was just fun. I even made a hulking villain dressed in chains and prison orange, and roleplayed him as nothing more than hired muscle.
>>
File: clockwork_tragedy_by_drunkfu[1].jpg (176 KB, 900x674) Image search: [Google]
clockwork_tragedy_by_drunkfu[1].jpg
176 KB, 900x674
>be brilliant young inventor
>show off amazing robot
>everyone says robots are shit and can't understand how they work
>turn to crime to finance work
>get beaten to death by asshole, meathead supercop
>robots salvage brain and put it in a jar
>turn out not to be brilliant inventor but insanely powerful psychic powering robots telekinetically
>not just insanely powerful, now powerfully insane
>THE CLOCKWORK KING REIGNS
>meet adorable teenage psychic asian cutie
>redeemed through waifuism
>>
>>82393229
Damn that's awesome.
>>
>>82393103
I didn't play much CoH, but when I did I loved the hidden info markers that gave backstory to the city and the NPCs, like how Atlas Square was named after a Golden Age guy or how this or that park or building was the site of what was clearly the big final showdown in a crossover event.
>>
>>82393229
And hey, you were even able to get him an alternate outfit once you leveled enough. That was definitely a cool feature.
>>
>>82393241
>Blue Steel
>asshole
you watch yourself
>>
>>82393421
Or what? He'll mysteriously escape from me?
>>
>>82392154

Too bad the CO character creator has most of the cool costume pieces behind a paywall.

CoH gave you free access to the vast majority of costume pieces for free (most of the unlockables and for-fee bits were intentionally niche items that only the paying players would want anyways). And now you can download Paragon Chat and play with *all* costume pieces, including pieces that were in beta before the game closed down.

Don't get me wrong, the CO costume creator was technically more polished. It was just castrated by pay-to-play decisions.
>>
>>82393617
Been a while since I got on PC, but doesn't it not have the crafted pieces
>>
>>82392409

Purely subjective but this player found CoH's gameplay simply superior. And thats with a CO lifetime sub.

CoH's archetype limitations actually increase its replay value. Being able to pick any powers in CO makes the powers a one-shot experience, in CoH the powerset of, say, Storm Summoning played quite differently when a primary set on a Defender archetype versus being a secondary set as a Controller. Or as a secondary with a Mastermind's primary pet set.

There was so much content in CoH released over its 8 years, where it seems that CO never grew significantly past its launch when Atari moved most of its developers over to supporting STO.

CO came across as a short-term money grab.
>>
File: 1454305491589.jpg (139 KB, 609x800) Image search: [Google]
1454305491589.jpg
139 KB, 609x800
>>82392154
That's about the only reason I log in anymore. All my friends have quit and the RP haunts are filled with futas, furries, WoD players, and edgelords.
>>82393141
Depends. The one on the left is the real Doctor Destroyer. The one on the right is Defender from Multifaria, the Shadow Destroyer, who prefers magic over science.
>>82393103
Actually, Champions has thirty years worth of lore behind it. The problem is that the owners of the MMO bought the entire thing and decided to ignore a lot of it.

For example, the Drifter is the ghost of a lawyer who was murdered while on his way home from a costume party. He appears wherever disaster is about to strike and tries to warn everyone about it. Champions Online turned him into a cowboy cyborg who acts like a vendor.

Rakasha is an Indian telepath who operates behind the scenes and does his best to avoid having to fight heroes. CO turned him into a telekinetic brawler who's trying to awaken evil gods in Canada.
>>82393617
It's slowly getting better, at least. I mean, at least now you can change the size of your tail and wings. And stack hairstyles to create new ones.
>>
>>82393824

I must've rolled a half-dozen different characters using Super Reflexes. Scrappers, Brutes, and Tankers with different offensive powersets.

Super Strength / Super Reflexes Tanker was a completely different experience than, say, a Dual Blades / Super Reflexes scrapper.

After 8 years of playing CoH I still hadn't ran every powerset to max level (most, but not all) while some I'd ran multiple times. If the game hadn't closed but had froze development I'd had years more builds to explore.
>>
>>82394449
And every combination was viable (for the most part).
>>
>>82392154
It never fails. Try to talk about Champions Online and one of the first responses is always someone who can't get CoX's cock out of their mouth.
>>
>>82394760
Maybe CO could try being more interesting to talk about
>>
File: animal head.png (786 KB, 726x490) Image search: [Google]
animal head.png
786 KB, 726x490
>>82394077
Yeah, that last couple of updates added more furry option that I gladly took advantage of. It's nice they're updating more stuff to the game right now and I can't wait to try out the revamp world boss event and the Shadow Event. Have you try that Teleios Ascendant content, yet?

That Multifaria Adventure Pack was a fun mission, especially when you ride a giant bot. It makes me wonder how the fuck did Doctor Destroyer got capture by Shadow Destroyer in the first place.
>>
>>82393617
>And now you can download Paragon Chat and play with *all* costume pieces, including pieces that were in beta before the game closed down.

Man, I can't figure out how to get that thing to work. And I really want to play around in it.
>>
>>82394863
Maybe CoX players could realize that City of Heroes was shut down four years ago and start getting over it by now.

Not every conversation needs to be derailed by how much you miss that game. You don't see people chatting at a fast food joint only to see someone else at another table butt in about how the last burger they ate was soooooo much better.
>>
>>82394953
Actually, I haven't logged in in six months. Everyone I knew had finally disappeared, with the exception of Thundrax and a few CORPers that have forgotten me entirely, so I haven't had a lot of incentive to do much there.
>>
>>82395178
I ran into Thundrax in those SMASH alerts a bunch of time in the last couple of weeks. Swell guy. If you want to know what happen in the past few months, there was a free freeform giveaway in Black Friday. Teleios Ascendant was the answer to the hardcore fags that wanted a hard endgame raid and they got it. They hired a ponyfag to do the costuming and reorganized the category. They added two more archetype, and two more archetype are coming in the future. They revamp the heavy weapon set into a fire/melee hybrid, and they change Two Gun Mojo to a higher tier skill with an aoe capacity. The price for Heroic Armor was jack up and everyone hated that update.
>>
>>82395435
Thundrax is good people.

Two Gun Mojo was pretty broken, as I recall. Heavy damage for cheap. Adding AoE to it almost feels like cheating.

I just kinda wish they'd come up with more costume pieces that looked good individually. For the past two years, everything I've seen has been, like. Looks great as a whole. Taking only one or two parts looks like garbage.
>>
File: screenshot_150803-22-05-32.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_150803-22-05-32.jpg
413 KB, 1920x1080
>>82395131
Maybe Cryptic should be a good developer instead of being sold to China.
>>
>>82395623
That's a weak argument and you know it.

There's no reason to barge into a CO or a DCUO thread and start complaining about how CoX is gone. Absolutely none. The game's time came and went. You're the MMO equivalent of that irritating aunt on Facebook who thinks that kids should get off the cell phone more because she enjoyed life more before they were a thing.
>>
>>82392154
Just play Mutants and Masterminds. With a good GM you can make any powers work
>>
File: screenshot_120831-17-24-47.jpg (474 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_120831-17-24-47.jpg
474 KB, 1366x768
>>82395710
There's no reason to talk about CO or DCUO because they're shit.
>>
>>82394701

There were some powersets that weren't particularly solo-friendly. The vast majority of the utility in the Empathy and Force Field powersets were geared towards buffing teammates, for example - a FF defender soloing was a slow, slow process. I think the powerset's descriptions did a good enough description to discourage the team-oriented sets from being picked by soloers for the most part.

>>82394760

Most players of one or the other game likely played both, and a large number of CO supporters still consider CoH a superior product. Don't forget that CO was made by CoH's development team, the CoH players were actively following CO's development expecting it to be CoH2 in all but name. Unlike many competitor's products, CoH and CO had a huge overlap in playerbase.

Don't get butthurt. Hell, if you're a CO-only supporter you *won*. CoH is closed, CO is still online. IMO it never fails how thin-skinned purely CO fans are.

>>82395059

What bit here are you encountering trouble with?

www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11843.0.html
>>
File: flamingo.jpg (40 KB, 416x680) Image search: [Google]
flamingo.jpg
40 KB, 416x680
>>82395958
Nah. As the first guy in this thread that started talking (very civilly, I might add) about CoH, there's plenty of good things about CO and DCUO to have a thread about. I tried them all and preferred the original, that's all.

However, the saltier that >>82395710 gets, the more I want to shitpost too.
>>
>>82396021
>What bit here are you encountering trouble with?

The bit about having to have City of Heroes installed already. But then I figured out how to use the Tequila installer. I don't REALLY need the whole chat part, just the costume creator. Piggs are downloading now. We'll see how it goes!
>>
>>82395710

Personally I view CO threads as "superhero MMO" thread. There really isn't enough CO-only material to justify its own thread. If people want to discuss CO, CoH, and/or DCOU I don't see the need for this much butthurt over it.

And the simple fact of the matter is that CoH/CO have a special relationship that makes it hard to completely separate the two.

>>82395875

I've mucked around with converting a few CoH/CO characters into M&M. I'm not hugely familiar with the ruleset, there seems to be so many ways to accomplish some power effects I spend way too much time contemplating optimal choices.
>>
>>82396207
M&M is not munchining. I mean it is easy to do and make your character more powerful. But that is why the GM is given much more power than say D&D. If you over power your character you will get screwed.

As much fun as the character creation is in M&M, it is tedting them out that makes the most enjoyment
>>
>>82396207
You might have a better shot with the HERO system, which is what the original Champions game was built for.

M&M is good and flexible, /tg/ can walk you through a lot of shit with it. Most basic powers in M&M can cover most basic CO abilities. You've just got to sit back and go "Okay, this power can count as this, or this, or this." HERO is just a bit more versatile and open, and allows you to add stats to your flaws.

It can be confusing as fuck to work through at first, though.
>>
>>82396207
>there seems to be so many ways to accomplish some power effects I spend way too much time contemplating optimal choices.

M&M is most enjoyable if you don't optimize, honestly. "Would I read a comic about this character?" is really the only guideline you need.
>>
>>82396458
My only big problem with M&M is that the Complications section is a bit weak. I prefer systems like GURPS or HERO where you have rules on how to make weaknesses.
>>
>>82397791
The point with M&M is not about making owers and drawing up a whole diagram. The point, like in comics, is to make litterily everything work. So you can have a hawkeye next to superman.

You just need a fair minded GM and a group of people wanting to have fun
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.