[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about "prey" characters like Jerry,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
How do you feel about "prey" characters like Jerry, Tweety, or the Road Runner?

Do you tend to root for them? Do you hate them? Do you find one in particular less likeable than the others?
>>
>>82386990
I hate em
>Sylvester, Tom, and coyote were worlds more relatable and after decades of working and scheming they deserved SOMETHING.
>they were the underdogs no doubt and put more work and heart into their parts than their prey counterparts. To me they were something like young hungry and poor men desperately clawing after the one thing that could satiate them.
They never had it easy.
They never were rewarded
They had brains and muscles and tenacity and all they ever got back was a smack in the face.
>I would parallel them to the poor and working class, and the prey characters to the silver spoon elite.
>>
>>82387148
But maybe I just had a rough time growing up.
>>
File: Chilly_Willy_logo.png (19 KB, 300x175) Image search: [Google]
Chilly_Willy_logo.png
19 KB, 300x175
This guy right here is one of the biggest assholes ever to exist in cartoons.
A lot of other characters were at least somewhat justified in their behavior, but this guy was just a straight up dick.
>>
>>82386990
Love Jerry, always rooted for him.
Never really wanted Sylvester and Coyote to actually catch Tweety or the Road Runner.
Funny how roadrunners are actually carnivorous.
>>
File: ....png (196 KB, 342x359) Image search: [Google]
....png
196 KB, 342x359
>>82386990
I hate them because most of them are smug, unlikeable assholes. I hate the setup more though.
>they are portrayed as the "good guys" with only a few examples of the opposite
>the predators chasing them are almost always portrayed as "the bad guys" with only a few examples of the opposite
This is a 5 year old's understanding of the world, and yeah I get it, a lot of 5 year olds watch these cartoons. But while you may think that is entirely harmless, go on youtube right now to see what those people grow up into.
>>
>>82386990
Tweety and the Road Runner were mostly reacting to their foil's actions, and rarely started the altercations themselves.

Jerry was just a straight up fucking asshole in a good amount of the cartoons, and Tom's mission was about ridding his residence of vermin than actually eating him in most episodes. This makes Tom more of the underdog than Sylvester or Wile E.
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 225x225
>>82387861
This, I never really liked Tom & Jerry for this reason.

I only ever watched the episodes where he came out on top, like the one where he had his mouse-phobia cousin pretend to be him just to screw with Jerry.

>the "boo" segment at the end
>>
I think I find Jerry more obnoxious than the rest because most of the time it is Tom's own damn house, and he also seems to be the one that starts shit more than the other characters.

Tweety can be annoying, but since they're both pets it'd be kind of fucked up if Sylvester actually ate him and so him defending himself/not getting killed makes sense.

Road Runner doesn't bother me at all because a lot of the time he barely seems aware of what's going on and usually isn't the cause of the Coyote's plans backfiring. Past a certain point the shorts also seemed to present catching the Road Runner as more of an obsession than something brought about by hunger.
>>
>>82386990
Prey characters are basically the first mary sues. Every problem is thrust upon them, but most of the time they aren't even aware of the problem and they solve it simply by acts of God. They are smug beyond belief, and never lose. I know Jerry sometimes gets his comeuppance, but Tweety and Road Runner never have.
>>
>>82387957

>the "boo" segment at the end
the absolute best
>>
>>82388114
I liked to think that after a certain point the Road Runner went by that section of desert on purpose as he enjoyed watching Wile E. self-destruct in his futile attempts to catch him.

If only the coyote spent his Acme money on food instead.
>>
>>82388552

Acme devices blow up on his face enough as is. Acme food would blow up in far more sensitive places.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.