[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of Planetary? I just got done reading it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (357 KB, 1886x955) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
357 KB, 1886x955
What does /co/ think of Planetary? I just got done reading it and my brain is kind of burnt out.
>>
It's okay.
>>
>>82043985
I love it. One of those comics I reread every one in a while. The last part is a bit too much of an anticlimax, but the rest of it is great.
>>
>>82043985
It's fucking great.
>>
If you don't think about it at all it is fine.

If you try to think about it it falls apart SO INCREDIBLY quickly, and the delay hurt it and 26 is a better finale than 27 is.
>>
>>82043985
good series. very entertaining. but, my god, did it take Ellis forever and a day to complete it.

>>82044486
i think 27 was more of an epilogue. the main story climaxed in 26. nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>82044621
There is when 27 is a terrible issue.
>>
>>82044486
How so? Genuinely wondering
>>
>>82044762
The biggest factor is the delay.

Planetary was making claims about the state of the Comics Industry very early into its run (in the late 90s), that while also untrue then were so unbelievably true when the final issues came out that it makes the whole thing funny.

Outside the meta part of the story. I just didn't like it nearly as much once the plot kicked into high gear, the individual stories as issues could do something cool but once the Four really come into it and it has to devote an issue to Torture Apology and weirdness it starts to fall apart.

Also there is a big thing with Ellis and his Century Babies that is troubling about that concept and putting those people up as heroes that I am never sure if he actually knows what he is doing or not.
>>
>>82044975
Also I remember that back in the early 00's Ellis intended to make Planetary his last superhero comic. Of course the plans changed by the mid-00's and he even ended up writing Ultimate Fantastic Four.
>>
He really does seem to have a problem with actually doing satisfying endings for interesting worlds he creates.

Transmet suffers from the same problems.
>>
>>82044975
Are you saying the book was hypocritical because of its comic meta-analysis? are you talking about the issue where Ellis was complaining about superheroes being too dark and gritty? Planetary isn't really about superheroes per se, and the book is definitely violent, but it doesn't pretend that it's not. I'm not sure if I agree with at your saying.
>>
>>82045238
The entire structure of the early part of the book is saving the other forms of Genre Comics from Superheroes and their proliferation and keeping them safe from the Not-Fantastic-Four

It supposes that the comic industry / market is a Zero Sum Game which is false on a lot of levels.
>>
>>82043985
Chinese Revenge Ghost is by far my favourite comicbook issue.
>>
>>82045397
That is easily my favorite issue of Planetary.
>>
File: image.png (4 MB, 2048x2732) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4 MB, 2048x2732
This almost made me cry.
>>
>>82043985

It's cool if you go in expecting cool art and concepts, not so much in the way of a coherent story

Also the main villains are literally an evil Fantastic Four and that is rad
>>
>>82045397
The Jakita origin story is my personal favorite.
>>
Planetary is some of Ellis's best work but it's also overrated. The Authority and some other random stuff by him that I can't think of right now were better.
>>
>>82046067
Desolations Jones is the thing of his that is best going back to.

Authority has its own stack of problems and Millar and Quitely do it better than he does.
>>
File: 1381368039262.gif (772 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1381368039262.gif
772 KB, 250x200
>>82043985

I really love it, but I understand some of the criticism leveled its way.
>>
>>82046109
I read the trade of Desolation Jones a while back but forgot about it. Just checked and there were a couple more issues then it got cancelled. Maybe I'll check it out again.

I liked Millar's stuff on The Authority too. I think Ellis and Millar put together a blueprint a lot of superhero comics ended up using.
>>
File: 1319215211414.gif (1 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
1319215211414.gif
1 MB, 200x113
>>82045493
>Also the main villains are literally an evil Fantastic Four and that is rad

I don't think I realized that my first time through the series until they got to explaining their origin and then I was kicking myself for not seeing it earlier.

>mfw
>>
>>82046275
>>82046243
>using two Dean gifs within a minute of each other

well fuck I clearly need new reaction images.
>>
>>82046254
Oh yeah Millar has dictated a lot of how Mainstream comics view a bunch of stuff, his DNA is all over it.

Ellis is there too
>>
File: 1428529396590.png (217 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1428529396590.png
217 KB, 680x680
>>82044486
>Honorary
>>82044663
>>82044975
>>82045187
>>82045329
>>82045479
>>82046109
>>82046339
Fuck off, namefagging cunt.
>>
>>82046339
It's kind of a result of Morrison, Ellis, and Millar talking and getting influenced by each other. Morrison's JLA was practically the only superhero comic that Warren Ellis was reading by 2000 so he certainly got influenced by that for Authority. And Millar through working and talking with Morrison and getting inspiration from Ellis went and did his own thing.
>>
>>82046482
I think it is specifically the one two punch of Ultimates and Civil War.

He was also the only one to spin it off into his own thing in a real way.
>>
>>82046529
Also The Ultimates was a template for the MCU. With some obvious changes of course, but still it's pretty clear they used it heavily.
>>
>>82046529
I think Civil War was when that particular style hit its peak.

>He was also the only one to spin it off into his own thing in a real way.

I think it's because Morrison and Ellis kind of ended up having very established styles already. With a lot of Millar's early stuff you could sort of see the Millarisms but the style didn't seem fully formed yet. To me, what we know of as Millar today mainly blossomed during the Authority/Ultimate X-Men/Ultimates period and Civil War was the peak of it. Everything after that doesn't quite hit the highs of his prior stuff.
>>
>>82046339
No just Ellis and Millar though, Bryan Hitch's cinematic approach to comics was a big deal with Authority and Ultimates
>>
>>82043985
Probably my favorite cape comic. I wish I wrote it because it's a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>82046482
>Morrison's JLA was practically the only superhero comic that Warren Ellis was reading by 2000

yeah I remember him saying he tried to make himself like Busiek's Avengers because he loves George Perez, but couldn't deal with how old fashioned it was
>>
I've never read Authroity? Is it anything like Planetary. And apparently Millar's run is worth reading too? I don't usually like his comics.
>>
>>82047374
That's true, Hitch is another important factor. He went from being seen as a Alan Davis clone to doing his own thing by Ultimates. John Cassaday is also sort of important since he worked on Planetary and Astonishing X-Men.
>>
>>82047415
Yeah, I think he liked Kurt Busiek, George Perez, and Walt Simonson but he couldn't get into the Busiek/Perez Avengers or Simonson's Orion.

Which is funny cause I read them both in recent months and thought they held up better than a lot of comics from the 00's.
>>
>>82047643
I don't think Avengers does, but Orion is still great.
>>
>>82043985
Phenomenal series, one of my top five. It helps if you have at least a working knowledge of fictional history, from comics to pulp to movies, but I still think the story is story enough to stand on its own.
>>
>>82047643
Yeah I'd rather go back to them than anything from Ultimate Marvel
>>
>>82047700
>I don't think Avengers does,

It's more of a comparison thing, really; Busiek's written far, far better stuff than his Avengers. Astro City and Superman Secret Identity come to mind. But I'd definitely rather read Busiek's Avengers over Bendis' Avengers.
>>
>>82047502

Yeah it's worth checking out. It's like an edgier more modern JLA I guess? It's more superhero stuff rather than the Sci Fi of planetary, but there's still some Sci Fi elements.

Yeah Millar's run is worth reading if you like Ellis's, you can see some of his mean spirited style but not enough of be grating imo.
>>
>>82047502
In one storyline The Authority kill God.

Or at least some weird alien triangle thing they say is God.
>>
>>82047502
Authority's more like Ellis' take on Morrison's JLA. Superteam take on large-scale threats. First arc dealt with an invading superhuman army that destroyed two cities, second arc dealt with an alien invasion from a parallel Earth (that was partly set up in Ellis' Stormwatch, but you don't have to read it to get what's going on), third arc dealt with like a Lovecraftian god, IIRC.

The problem is that in the past 16 years there's been so many comics with the kind of style in Authority that the effect is lost. If you want to understand why it's important you'd have to read a few superhero team books from the early 90's (any of them will do), then read some of Morrison's JLA, and then read Ellis' Stormwatch and Authority to see the drastic changes.
>>
Amazing. Warren Ellis is one of the best comic book writers ever
>>
the delays killed it
i should probably reread the entire thing at some point but I remember being let down by the ending
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.