[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 726763-hewitt_family.jpg (53 KB, 423x640) Image search: [Google]
726763-hewitt_family.jpg
53 KB, 423x640
Does /co/ care about horror comic books?
What have y'all been reading lately?

I haven't read any horror-related comics since 2010ish; Have I missed anything cool?
>>
File: 941093.jpg (91 KB, 600x929) Image search: [Google]
941093.jpg
91 KB, 600x929
Damn, really?
Nobody?

I'll just bump this every hour or so I guess.
>>
>>82004876
>Have I missed anything cool?
Rat God by Richard Corben and Harrow County by Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook
>>
EC Comics' really deserves to be better known. Some of their stories are still genuinely shocking today.
>>
>>82006994
I'll definitely check those out, thanks man.

I noticed a mega link for downloads in the star wars thread. I assume I'll have to hunt horror stuff down on old mostly dead torrent sites? I'll poke around I guess.
>>
I only really like horror anthologies, like the old EC comics. Are there any recent ones like that? I'm just not a fan of continuing plots.
>>
>>82009593
Dark Horse has been doing Eerie comics.
>>
File: Two Fisted Corpse 1.jpg (615 KB, 1173x1600) Image search: [Google]
Two Fisted Corpse 1.jpg
615 KB, 1173x1600
>>82008982
The Harvey Kurtzman war comics are some serious shit. Corpse on the Imjin is nothing, but a body floating down a river as the narrator talks about life and death
>>
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xx9effqx1szsm/Horror_Film_Comics
>>
>>82004876
Awhile back somebody posted an ongoing over at Vertigo called The Survivors Club that was pretty cool. Basically each of the characters is a "survivor" of a classic horror movie scenario Cursed video game, invisible friend that kills, vengeful japanese ghost, evil twin, etc and they're all trying to figure how they're pasts connect/murder each other. It's pretty cool, though some of the characters are kind of annoying mainly the video game chick, because she speaks in outdated vidya jargon
>>
I don't know if it really counts as horror but the publisher seems to think so. Hellblazer it's pretty good.
>>
>>82012529
I think Hellblazer counts.
Wytches is pretty cool too, though we'll have to see if Snyder sticks the landing. That said, I love the creepy body-horror look of the Wytches themselves.
And on that note, The Crooked Man is still one of the creepiest Hellboy arcs I've ever read, and a lot of that is Corben's weird, lumpy art. I know a lot of people give Corben crap for it, but it's perfectly suited to stuff like that.
>>
File: ninja shit.jpg (203 KB, 813x692) Image search: [Google]
ninja shit.jpg
203 KB, 813x692
>>82012529
>>82012610
I disagree about it being horror, but agree that it's very good.
>>
>>82012761
I think some arcs are horror, especially Delano's first arc. It varies a lot, but there's some spooky stuff in there if you look for it.
Also, The Strain is a pretty cool vampire comic. I haven't read the books or watched the TV show, but the comic manages to be pretty scary while still having cool action scenes and some over-the-top characters.
Also, if you're into aquatic horror, the first arc of Snyder's The Wake is great the stuff that came after was less good and Marvels Sub-Mariner - The Depths is really creepy.
>>
File: providence07-pantheon.jpg (474 KB, 1164x1800) Image search: [Google]
providence07-pantheon.jpg
474 KB, 1164x1800
Providence is fucking great
>>
>>82012999
Was 8 the last issue, or are we getting more?
>>
>>82013111
12 issues consisting of 3 arcs.
Act III starts in June
>>
>>82013127
Awesome. I missed the storytime, which is too bad because I always miss some of the cooler metaphors that crop up in it. What did you make of HP actually showing up in it?
>>
>>82013149
The threads are still up in the catalog haha.

And I thought that was great.
If we don't get a Sweet Ermengarde reference then him making a joke about stars was enough.

What did you think about the MC of Neonomicon showing up in the journal?
>>
File: horror.jpg (3 MB, 2962x4584) Image search: [Google]
horror.jpg
3 MB, 2962x4584
>>82013206
Name drop cameos are classic mythos style.
>>
>>82013358
It wasn't even name drop, it was very esoteric.
Robert's reaction to her showing up was so goddamn good.

It still astounds how Providence is making Neonomicon retroactively palatable.
>>
>>82013206
I'll be honest, I tend to leave the journal alone most of the time. I have this problem where I tend to gloss over stuff when I'm reading digitally, so I'm hoping to pick this stuff up in hard copy and really sit down and decipher it.
I did hear about that though, and I remember how Carver mentioned that if the "Redeemer" did come to be, they'd still have to meet and "equally unlikely Messenger" which makes me wonder if our Protag is the Messenger.
Also, the whole bit with the Klu Klux Klan showing up in the dream realm. Carver mentioned it's likely symbolic. It's probably related to the Swastica that was drawn on the street in Innsmouth, right?
>>
>>82013436
The journal entries make everything incredibly clear.

Because Robert's dreams tell the future.
And he's written about 2-3 down in the journals and it's just...yeah. You're right. It's sort of expected to be known by the time Robert left Arkham.
>>
>>82013510
I probably missed a lot of it because by the end of Neonomicon I was still laughing too hard about the fishman handjob to pick up on the rhetoric.
It's actually amazing how Providence is able to retroactively make Neonomicon a better book, just by showing that the Lovecraft junkies were just lunatics, and that the actual mythos tribes were just ordinary folks with some weird and occasionally dangerous beliefs.
>>
>>82012489

Oh, I was trying to remember what that one was called.
>>
>>82016301
I really need to look and see if they first trade is out, it's a pretty well done comic, occasional annoying protags aside.
Mr. Empty or bug-guy are my favourites, though I'm really interested to see just what happened to Exorcism Kid.
>>
I don't find it particularly frightening, but Harrow County is pretty good
>>
>>82016277
Only really the brushstrokes of Neonomicon are necessary to really add to Providence...but man was it just a mess.
Exactly, it shows that everything was all distillation.

But what works the best I think is how over the top Neonomicon and The Courtyard were with namedropping Lovecraftian stuff.
It was incredibly awkward, blunt, and annoying.

Yet now that Lovecraft's writings are supposed to be this new gospel, this messianiac text, it makes more sense. It's like quoting and referencing scripture.
>>
>>82016624
Yeah, the thing with Neonomicon was that you could see the good ideas, but it's execution was lacking. Courtyard was a lot better, though that's possibly because it was shorter. Neonomicon was just too much of an Avatar book, thematics aside.
Although you're right, Providence really shines because of how Neonomicon and Courtyard were written. The slow burn up to when actual horrible shit starts happening in Arkham was fantastic. And I was surprised how much I liked the Dream Realm portion.
>>
>>82016938
It had some okay ideas, but it's only good one had to be Johnny Carcosa.
Which is probably why he's the most "Providence-esque".
A happy, genial, friendly, twenty-something Nyarlathotep.
He just wants everything to go smoothly haha.

I think that Courtyard more worked because, yeah, it was shorter. It didn't have enough room to indulge itself in the really bad aspects that Neonomicon reveled in, viscera aside.

Providence shines not only in the buildup, but because it understands on a more basic level why Lovecraft's works are effective.
The protagonist has to be a nominal everyman who rebels against the nature of the situation and pays the price.
The other two had protags that were much less interesting because they weren't as clear cut.
>>
>>82017467
The Courtyard mainly worked because it was the first and I had no expectations. That said, it still had cool ideas and some of them were really well-implemented, like the MC's detective work, the "drug" that's been causing all this insanity being an actual language, stuff like that.
The photograph he has of the Innsmouth raid and the hooded Deep One is still such a great shot
>>
>>82018289
Yeah, I can't deny that they were done well.
But it, as a Lovecraft story, really felt surface level. Basic.
In a way that works for it, Moore admits that he's done more research into Lovecraft since that and Neonomicon and so it's like those two work as dipping a toe...while Providence is the ocean.

The mural was great I know that.
>>
It's not a scary book at all, but the only horror related book I've read in recent times is Gotham By Midnight and I really enjoyed it. Volume 2 of the trades is currently in transit
>>
Dunno if this qualifies, but I love the '68 series.

Always thought its be a cool cross over if Frank Castle took up the mantle of Jungle Jim seeing as how he's a Man vet, and '68 takes place there.

Tl;dr - 68
>>
File: 1015403.jpg (96 KB, 600x920) Image search: [Google]
1015403.jpg
96 KB, 600x920
>>82021660
Forgot the pic.

Also, I enjoy Harrow County
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.