[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This an interesting topic I saw in the other thread that I wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14
This an interesting topic I saw in the other thread that I wouldn't mind /co/ to talk about.

Has there been a female/minority super hero or character that has been introduced in the past 10 years that people really like or adore?

Because it seems people are back lashing against forced diversity which is understandable but are there ones that were done so well that people enjoy the characters for who they are without thinking about their race or gender and as an example of great characterization?

Kamala Khan is one okay example, she's still being hated but she has gotten a decent fanbase for liking her as a character nowadays. Are there more?
>>
>>81998696
Sam Nova.
>>
Jaime Reyes.
The Giffen Rogers run was amazing. Best thing to come from DC in years.
>>
>>81998732
A lot of Richfags hate him
>>
>>81998696
Silk
>>
>>81999409
All five of them.
>>
>>81998779
This is the only one I can think it. Ted had been dead for a long enough time and Jaime was different enough. Also and most importantly it was well written.
>>
It's sad isn't it?

After 10 years of forced diversity and the only memorable heroes can be counted on one hand.
>>
>>81999987
It's hard to make any character popular in this market. People just keep on buying Spider-Man and Batman.
>>
>>82000076
Popularity doesn't mean well liked though.
>>
>>81998696
Jessica Jones?
>>
>>82000209
Alias was 2001-2004.
>>
New characters being successful at all are anomalous as fuck, retard. Even without bringing race into the mix do you know how hard it is to even give 40 year old character with a moderate following and high recognizability a solo book that's successful?

That being said, Miles and Kamala have a decent following.
>>
>>82000265
Miles is just riding the spider wave though.
I guarantee you that if Miles wasn't Spider-Man he'd have very few people give even a little bit of a shit about him.
>>
Haven't watched but is this French show good?
>>
>>81998696
/co/ is not representative of the public at large.
>>82000131
that is literally exactly what it means.
>>
I was gonna add Damian to the list, but he surpassed the 10 year limit, right?
>>
>>82000319
The notPeter Spider-Man spin-off books have been a thing for going on 30 years now, and those books die all the time.
It's not as clean cut as that.
>>
>>82000486
Yeah he counts.

So it's
DC:
Damien wayne
Jamie Reyes

Marvel:
Kamala Khan
Miles Morale

Unsure:
Sam Nova
Silk
>>
>>81999987

The sad part is that comics in general aren't doing what they could be doing in terms of overall sales.

The good thing is that if they hadn't made some effort to expand goals beyond selling cape comics to white males ages 11 through 40, then they'd be in an even worse situation.

Also, you're comparing characters that have only been around for 10 years and have to compete with all kinds of media to characters that have been around for 4 or 5 times as long that existed with much less competition.
>>
>>82000131

What does it mean? People are buying Spiderman and Batman stuff cause they dislike them?
>>
>>81998696
>in the past 10 years that people really like or adore?

chars from runaways and avengers academy who then got misused or killed for no reason
>>
>>81998696
Jamie Reyes/Blue Beetle.

And of course Kamila.
>>
>>82000614
Kamala Khan i like her it is my first marvel book.
and you all know I love Damian :)
and it's cool that they are arabic.
i think maya and maps counts too.
>>
>>82000614
Seems good. I'd like to see the sales for Silk and Nova and if they are above 25k we should count them
>>
>>82000778
The OP asked there were any characters that were introduced recently that were well liked that were female or minority, not if their books are so popular that they can carry their own runs.

It can be a side character in a story or something.
>>
>>81998696
Damian Wayne .
>>
>>81998696
I'm a big fan of Nigger Lad and Bitch-Cunt
>>
>>82000951
They're not mutually exclusive, one is actually indicative of the other.

Jesus Christ, do people tell you you're intelligent?
>>
>>81998696
Damian Wayne is in the Top 50 Comic Book Sales.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 535x762) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 535x762
>>81998696
> back lashing against forced diversity
What makes you think the diversity is forced? Is out of the realm of possibility that these people actually want diverse characters?
>>
>>81999409
The hate was viable when Loeb was writing him. After that he actually became a likeable character worth reading about.
>>
>>82000076
The blame for that goes to the companies not the consumer. DC and Marvel played a game of narrative chicken they would naturally lose.

If you keep old favorites around in ANY market, they will naturally dominate the scene and prevent fans from circulating in to new areas. Doesn't matter if it's books, TV, movies, manga, or comics. This is a short term gain with hideous long term consequences. The fanbase eventually gets worn out and floats away,but the existence of a 'titan' removes the space needed for new ideas to circulate in. At best new ideas get funneled in to the stagnating cesspit only to die fruitlessly. Without new titles and new spaces, the consumer base can't be kept fresh. Nor does it have any hope to grow. It's destined to slowly lose consumers one at a time till there's nothing left.

Failures in fancy suits can't see that, of course. In their mind, they see a huge lump of money that's still there. They tell themselves it may be less than before, but it's still sizable. They will keep telling themselves this as the profitability drains one dollar at a time. They don't see what they could be making, should be making, or what they were making more than five seconds before. Thus it always looks like its "not so bad" as compared to only a moment ago.
>>
>>82001084
I'm all for diversity, if it comes at the price of good writing and character development. But some minority superheroes just dont have that

So some say its forced because its like "hey I got a black superhero"

"What else is cool about him?"

"................he's black?"

That kinda thing I guess
>>
>>82001183
Black Robin .
>>
>>81999409
>>81999754
Richard Ryder was realy popular back when Annihilation was running, and his ongoing sold pretty well. Add in the fatc that his death was some corporate-mandated bullshit, and Sam had a LOOONG hill to climb ( as >>82001103 pointed out, not being written by Loeb helped).
>>
>>82001084
Diversity can be forced even if it's wanted. It's forced when it's introduced in a hamfisted, badly written way (e.g. FemThor)
>>
>>82001084
It's also not out of the realm of possibility that this time the boy crying wolf is being serious.

Anything to do with "diversity" is immediately suspect these days even if there's no funny business going on.
>>
>>81998696
Jaime Reyes.
>>
>>82001084
'Forced diversity' is just a meme word to describe anything with minorities in it that also happens to be bad. It doesn't actually mean anything. See >>82001371
>>
>>82001460
The actual Thor comic is a filled with MRA strawmen and girl power nonsense. If it was well written and not an obvious play for diversity it wouldn't be a problem, but it's neither of those things. That's what makes it forced.
>>
>>82001084
>Is out of the realm of possibility that these people actually want diverse characters?

You're being disingenuous.
>>
>>82001460
>>82001523
Oh, and for the record, I also don't like the current Captain Falcon run, but I don't think it's forced diversity because the transition from Steve to Falcon was well done. For what it's worth.
>>
>>81998696
kamala is only liked by waifufags for being cute.
Once she's hit with a less flattering artstyle, even one that makes her hot instead of cute, it will fade.
>>
>>82001523
Sounds like you just agreed with what I said, although I wouldn't consider a white woman any kind of underrepresented minority outside of Marvel solo books.
>>
>>82001596
>kamala is only liked by waifufags for being cute.

This. Every time she's brought up it's nothing but cutefags going X3 all over the fucking place
>>
>>82001654
see
>>82001563
It's the "obvious ploy for diversity" thing that's the issue. And white woman aren't an underrepresented minority, but they're perceived as such by the people Marvel is pandering to.
>>
File: quite.jpg (114 KB, 286x378) Image search: [Google]
quite.jpg
114 KB, 286x378
>>81998696
tike alicar and Venus dee Milo

is what I would like to say
>>
>>82001596
That's bullshit. You may not like it, but it's actually a well written book.
>>
>>82001654
White women are the most important minority.
>>
>>81998732

Sam's a minority? They just draw him looking like a white guy.
>>
>>82001723
He's part Hispanic.
>>
>>82000614

Does Spider-Gwen count?
>>
>>82001084
forced =/= not wanted. Forced is when they make it that way for no other reason than that's what people want on the surface, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea or well implemented.

A lot of people do want more diverse super heroes, yes. So Marvel and DC try to diversify their cast by any means necesary. This means adding a lot of poorly written characters, with no real qualities aside from being diverse, or giving a lot more attention and screen time to established characters who don't have that much going for them, aside from filling diversity quotas.

Kamala's a really good example of a non-forced minority character. She's a solid, likable character, who feels like someone who was organically added to the marvel universe, because the writers thought she would be entertaining. She's not there because she's a minority.
>>
>>82001749

I don't think we should count people like Damien or Sam. If the average person picking up one of their books for the first time can't tell that they're not white, they might as well be white.
>>
>>82001084
It's a buzzword, nothing more.
People can't even tell you convincingly who forces what on whom since when.
Because the efforts to diversify reach back to the beginnings of X-Men and nobody questions Storm, but new characters have to be white guys, or they must be tumblr plants.
Even though you can still count Marvel's black women capes on one hand.
Because these comics still drag around WW2 baggage. We are still fighting Nazi scientists with Steve Rogers, so it's incredibly hard to get anyone new established.
Ergo there are tons of additions of characters who are not like these ancient white guys in an effort to modernise, but little sticks and people complain about the number of ethnic minorities pushed in at all times while the core is made up of old white guys who died so often they should get a discount.
An unsatisfying state of affairs for everyone involved.

But manga fans have it as bad with stories beginning and ending so fast you are not feeling like you are done with a character, or dragging out forever, then petering out with a fart and still being gone. Just to be replaced by the next, completely unrelated thing that has the same archetypes rehashed everytime and still being so strangely white you have to ask yourself if Japanese just hate how they look. With the amount of stuff outright set in Not-Europe during an ill-defined medieval, the number of blatantly American or European characters looking just like the nominally Asian ones, you have to wonder.
>>
>>82001872
>new characters
Really? Because the rage is mostly focused on established characters being changed out for other characters.
>>
>>82001859

It's still a dumb meme. Don't forget that there's been a long history of comics introducing "forced" characters designed basically by editorial edict to cash in on a fad or idea. That doesn't stop the character from developing into something interesting though.

Dazzler was basically invented because editors thought disco was a hip thing kids are into back in the day so they'll have a disco character.

Replace the word disco with diversity and this basically is the same situation as any of the so-called "force diversity" new character. It still doesn't mean the right writer can't do good things with the char.
>>
>>82001872
>but new characters have to be white guys, or they must be tumblr plants.

Generally because if you voice a negative opinion towards the character, or still have a preference towards a white character, people pull out the racism/sexism card. Fuck, there are people saying fans of classic JSA are racist dudebros, which is nonsensical as fuck. Especially when you factor in that modern day, pre-52 JSA expanded the team to be fairly diverse, and Robinson's Earth 2 was diverse itself. But no, if you enjoy regular old non-gay Alan Scott, you're dirty and problematic.

They even tried to pull this with Laura becoming the new Wolverine, with her commenting that people on the Internet don't like her being in the role, and all I could think of was "where is this actual complaining coming from?".
>>
>>82001288
>and his ongoing sold pretty well
>53 Nova 1 $2.99 Marvel 42,873
>60 Nova 6 $2.99 Marvel 36,967
>79 Nova 12 $2.99 Marvel 28,179
>91 Nova 24 $2.99 Marvel 26,238
>86 Nova 36 $2.99 Marvel 22,365
He sold "okay".

Stick to storytiming comics, not discussing them.
>>
>>82001371
>>82001563
so badly written comics with a straight white male are patriarchy propaganda?
a badly written comic is just a badly written comic.
I mean, when some guy was writing the x-men and he had havok be in a coma and fall in love for the nurse that was nursing him was that a forced straight relationship? Or was that just shitty writing?
>>
>>82001859
The problem isn't minorities, though.
The problem is shit writing.
And the only reason there are many characters checking both those marks is because Marvel hires hacks and ideologues, or allows people to phone it in.
The skin color or sex is never the problem, really. They just give the unimportant stuff to people on trial.
Which means the minority additions.
>>
>>82002057
>so badly written comics with a straight white male are patriarchy propaganda?

According to some people, ironically.
>>
>>82002057
see
>>82001702
>>
>>82002009
>36 issues
That's still the longest ongoing Richard ever got. And I definitely remember Richard being the new hotness, post-Annihilation. Out of curiosity, how well is Sam's ongoing doing?
>>
>>82001998
I chalk the batching on the page up to social media creating immediate response and a lack of distance between author and audience.
They just really, really, want to give an answer to critics.
Not saying it's a good idea. I just feel it's an expression of the times more than the outcome of an agenda.
>>
>>82002097
that post is saying something differnt from the ones I was replying to.
he's saying that it's "the obvious ploy for diversity" that's the problem, whatever that might mean.
I was replying to posts that were saying that when comics are badly written that is forced diversity.
>>
>>82001702
Everything in business is an 'obvious ploy' for something, son. The closest you will get to wanton creativity is self-published works, not a multi-billion dollar intellectual property conglomerate.
>>
>>82001719
You may like it, but it's a piece of shit.

I've read all of the original run, and I see nothing that would make me want to reread it. Even Carol has had more interesting stories (after being raped) than Ms. Buffy.
>>
>>82002257
Read the post chain, it's the same person.

>>82002270
That doesn't stop it from being a problem. No one is saying that "forced diversity" is the first and only problem that has ever occurred in the comics medium ever, just that it's an issue that's popping up now.
>>
>>82002301
The fuck does she have to do with Buffs, outside the lesbian bestie?
>>
>>82002215
>And I definitely remember Richard being the new hotness, post-Annihilation.
You remember your gut feelings, not the facts.

>Out of curiosity, how well is Sam's ongoing doing?
Pretty badly, but that's non-Star Wars Marvel as a whole now.
>118 Nova 5 $3.99 Marvel 16,886

But on the other hand, looking at the previous volume:
>75 Nova (Sam) 28 $3.99 Marvel 29,175
sold better than
>83 Nova (Richard) 28 $2.99 Marvel 27,010
>>
>>82002301
And that's fine you don't like it. Different strokes for different folks. But implying only waifu fags are reading Ms Marvel is bullshit.
>>
>>82002310
That, and it's the first issue in a long time directly related to political interests.
>>
>>82002412
Where's everyone getting these sales stats from?
>>
>>82002461
Comichron
>>
>>82002419
It's not just waifufags. It's also progressives with a diversity fetish.
>>
>>82002232
I generally agree with you. It's a pretty hackneyed thing to do. Marvel needs to let characters and stories stand on their own instead of constantly trying to address meta-criticism. One of the reasons Jaime is beloved is because, even being Hispanic, it simply informed the character, rather than being a shield against criticism. And he also had to prove he was worthy of being a hero, which is something a lot of recent diversity legacies seem to forget. Marvel tries to have their cake and eat it too. Whor is a prime example of this.
>>
>>82002310
But it's not a problem, unless you make it one.
It's like saying Micheal B Jordan was the reason that Fant4stic was bad-- saying diversity is the reason for a drop of quality is to say that the removal of diversity would make it better. If Johnny Storm were white that movie still would have been awkward hot garbage. Same logic applies for Thor, or Squirrel Girl or Hellcat.
>>
File: 1451795621328.jpg (432 KB, 901x1352) Image search: [Google]
1451795621328.jpg
432 KB, 901x1352
>>82002419
This. While nobody would dispute the fact that Kamala is cute, not everyone is therefore a waifufag. Especially the female readership.
>>
>>82002310
>it's the same person.
which just means that that person ws giving contradictory statements and constantly changing argument.
>>
>>82002597
I would interject that SG and Hellcat would be a lot worse with male characters.
>>
>>82002419
>But implying only waifu fags are reading Ms Marvel is bullshit.
It's a fact, all you ever see in her storytimes is "OMG Kamala is totes cute! What a nerd XD" because she has no depth to her outside of that. Oh wait she feels "icky" about punching people sometimes, that makes a full character.

>>82002625
>Especially the female readership
Women are the same as waifufags except they don't want to fuck her.
>>
>>82002597
>Same logic applies for Thor
No it doesn't, because the shittiest stuff in that comic is the strawmanning, which couldn't happen if she wasn't a woman.

>It's like saying Micheal B Jordan was the reason that Fant4stic was bad-- saying diversity is the reason for a drop of quality is to say that the removal of diversity would make it better
This is a slightly different issue. I think that the problem with MBJ in Fant4stic is that they used him being black to create buzz and make people watch the movie despite it's quality. This is also a problem, but not one directly related to the character, and I think that that problem also shows up in comics (Alan Scott is gay! Read our comics!)
>>
>>82002762
I'm not sure you read the same threads I have, but there is usually a lot of discussion about the characters and the visual gags.
And women are the same as waifufag so how? You are not making sense, man.
>>
>>82002871
I'm a huge Kamala fan, and even I have to admit there are a lot of waifu fags gushing about her cuteness in storytimes.
>>
>>82002978
Not disputing that.Just saying that's not the only thing, as was claimed.
>>
File: 1424278735267.jpg (156 KB, 544x666) Image search: [Google]
1424278735267.jpg
156 KB, 544x666
Everybody loves Kamala
>>
>>81998696
I only like her because I want to do some really haram things with her, like like having casual contact while not escorted by a male relative, holding hands, enjoying pork/alcohol together, and fucking her senseless.
>>
>she has gotten a decent fanbase

people that don't read comics shouldn't count as a fanbase. seems like everyone on board for this forced diversity at marvel haven't picked a comic in at least a decade and are "marvel fans" because of the movies, where none of this shit matters.
>>
We excluding European comics?
>>
>>82002771
>male Thor
>SJW characters mocking him for being hyper masculine blonde blue eyed
>Odin gets on a soapbox about how 'PC' Midgard is
Bad writing is bad writing

The F4stic/MBJ is the very same 'issue' thematically as what people are complaining about because it was something done for marketing (according to some people anyway, I think it was because he was friends with Trank after Chronicle) and failed to deliver anything with quality writing or good story.
>>
>>82003372
You're close to convincing me, but I'm still not there. I think that its apparent that the reason for the bad writing is connected to the diversity trend because the male Thor situation that you posited never happens with white male characters.

Also with regards the MBJ, if it wasn't a marketing move they could have made him Reed Richards. Making Johnny black and Sue white was a decision that I can only imagine being made for marketing reasons (unless someone on staff was truly racist and didn't want to see an interracial relationship/a really smart black man).
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 350x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 350x291
>>82003291
If the forced diversity wasn't selling, they wouldn't do it. They'd drop it like DC dropped Simon Baz.

Companies are not out to participate in social agendas, they are out to make money. If an agenda is profitable, or being against it is unprofitable, they're on board.

You think Pay Pal gives a shit about trans people using one washroom or the other? They're using their refusal to deal in states with laws against it as easy advertising with the next generation that according to market research seems to care.

This is a capitalistic world fueled by spite and pleasure. If you want something to succeed it has to make money, if you want it to fail it has to be unprofitable, and if you want something to run against the grain you have to appeal to people's base urges of hate or desire.

If making a random person brown or a female didn't add a zero, nobody would do it. If a movie added a zero to turn everyone brown and female, it would happen and continue as long as there's money in it.
>>
>>82003539
Its well known Hollywood has trouble getting funding for movies with black women.

Hell, the reason Moses was a movie set in Egypt about Arab peoples and still had a 100% white cast was outright confirmed by the director because it was the only way to get enough capital to get the movie made.

You can make Johnny black but you can't make a woman black in a starring role and you can't have a 50% black cast unless its a comedy or historical movie about racial inequality. Anything else to Hollywood is a bomb in action.

Not that it explains why Motoko Kusinagi is white though. The two biggest markets, 'murrica and China, love Asian leads.
>>
File: CAStripSquirrelGirlSite.jpg (339 KB, 630x1394) Image search: [Google]
CAStripSquirrelGirlSite.jpg
339 KB, 630x1394
>>82003134
Except people with taste.

>>82002871
>I'm not sure you read the same threads I have, but there is usually a lot of discussion about the characters and the visual gags.
>OMG look at how cute angry Kamala looks XD
Same shit.

>And women are the same as waifufag so how?
They like her for superficial reasons, eg. her "quirkyness" and "nerdiness" and "cuteness".

Which are all traits that describe all of those other awful recent female-driven comics like Silk, Batgirl, Squirrel Girl, Hellcat etc.
>>
>>82003691
That doesn't explain why it couldn't be Reed.
>>
>>82003701
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH
>>
>>81998696
I like Kamala because it doesn't feel like her ethnicity is forced in to storylines. No one really gives her shit about being middle eastern or anything. The only thing is really her parents getting culture shocked, and there's a bit of a comparison between the Inhumans and Muslims with the "only the extremist Inhumans don't want peace" but it doesn't really come off as preachy. This is how race should be done in comics.

Alex Wilder is another perfect example.
>>
>>82003701
Hellcat was just mediocre, She Hulk was a great story with shit art and Silk was the opposite.
>>
>>82003734
Starring character is black=black movie.

Black movie that isn't a comedy or a tearjerking historical piece=flop as far as Hollywood is concerned.
>>
>>82003701
>females gonna female
Yeah, duh.
And you act like describing why you like a person was easy to do.
Say, why do you like Batman? What in his personality is appealing to you?
>>
>>82003822
That's fucking wrong, see Django unchained or any Denzel Washington or modern Will Smith movie. Also Fant4stic is a team movie.
>>
>>82003879
Tell that to the producers.
>>
>>82003561
pretty sure it's making money because it's a new comic book with decent writing and only people who already bought comics are buying it. it's a popular book among comic book fans.

the "fanbase" that is very vocal about having more diversity and complain about shit all the time don't buy it, never will.
>>
>>82003879
You mean Hitch isn't a black movie? I thought it was right there with Soul Plane.
>>
>>82001931

Yeah, but that's been happening in comics long ago. Even when it was just white guys replacing white guys people who were fans of the old guys would bitch. Just look at how many times The Flash or Green Lantern got switched by some new guy.
>>
>>82003879
Django got made because of the director, people like Spielberg or Tarentino will get funding no matter what.

Denzel doesn't star in movies, he's the draw but not the main character.

Modern Will Smith movies all bomb and contribute to the sentiment.

The audiance knows its a team movie, but producers see a protagonist and supporting characters. Reed is the Katness.
>>
>>82004079
>Denzel doesn't star in movies, he's the draw but not the main character.
Yeah. You're an idiot.
>>
>>82004079
>Denzel doesn't star in movies
Are you fucking shitting me?

>Django got made because of the director, people like Spielberg or Tarentino will get funding no matter what.
Who cares how it's funded, it makes tons of money
>>
>>81998696
Hey i'm the guy from that other thread (i think it was about that skrillex hair batman girl) who posed this question. One thing thats funny that isn't included here that i added on as a caveat was females or minority heroes....but not legacy characters or new versions.

Its just kinda funny cos scrolling through here man, almost every popular cape in those last ten years is just a rehash of an old one.

And the reason i asked the question in the other thread was because whenever people swap a race or gender on a character people go 'argh fuck why not just make a new character'. But I also notice whenever a new minority or lady character hits the response is mostly 'argh fuck i hate this character. why does the writer keep pushing them?' (see black robin and skrillex hair girl).

So it kinda seems like a lose/lose with the old school comic crowd. They hate it when you change something they know, and they hate it when you introduce someone they dont know and try to make em a hit.
>>
>>81999754
Fuck you tom
>>
File: 1447756122870.jpg (1 MB, 2307x1910) Image search: [Google]
1447756122870.jpg
1 MB, 2307x1910
>tfw you will ever have a cute, brown, nerdy daughteru
>>
>>82004079
>Denzel doesn't star in movies, he's the draw but not the main character.
Denzel washington is essentially the main character of almost every single movie hes been in for the last ten years at least.
>>
>>82004152
>Who cares how it's funded, it makes tons of money

Because that is what the conversation is about.

You can't make a movie without funding, and even big names like Cameron have to get funding by sucking producer dick.
>>
>>82004185
I don't hate Duke or Skrillix hair, but I'm afraid that they're being set up to take over for existing characters (which is about to happen with Duke). Also holy shit why do we need 50 robins.
>>
>>82002412
>You remember your gut feelings, not the facts.
No, he was definitely popular. Not "Guardians of the Galaxy" popular, but his ongoing definitely had a fair amount of positive buzz. Interesting to see the sales figures (2k difference for #28? Interesting, but hardly proof positive...)
>>
>>82004079
>Modern Will Smith movies all bomb and contribute to the sentiment.
In the last ten years Smith has had a prominent role in 8 films. In almost every one of those he has been the star.
One of those has bombed.
>>
>>82003879
>Denzel and Will Smith
You literally named the only two exceptions as far as major movie stuidios are concerned. If they weren't the exceptions they wouldn't be castes in movies that have mass appeal.
Congrats.
>>
>>82004448
>>82004279
By the way, this shit is all supporting the idea that putting MBJ in as Johnny was a marketing move.
>>
>>82004498
Yeah i doubt the director who worked with the guy on the film that helped them both make it in the business had anything to do with that.
>>
File: MsMarvelLipbite.png (194 KB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
MsMarvelLipbite.png
194 KB, 292x278
>>82001596
>Once she's hit with a less flattering artstyle, even one that makes her hot instead of cute, it will fade.

This has arguably already happened, since Kamala has gone though a handful of artists, with varying differences of opinion in her fanbase about how attractive she was (or wasn't) in the hands of certain artists. Alphonsa was the original artist, and some people would say his Kamala was plain at best.
>>
>>82004545
Yeah, killing two birds with one stone is fucking impossible.
>>
>>82004498
Everything is a marketing move, do you think studios spend millions of dollars on projects that they've never given any thought to the marketability of?

The fact is that a black man in the lead role of a movie is a calculated risk as far as Hollywood is concerned, black woman even moreso.
>>
File: Blue_Beetle_Reyes.png (286 KB, 300x452) Image search: [Google]
Blue_Beetle_Reyes.png
286 KB, 300x452
>>81998696
he's one of my favorite heroes
>>
>>82004668
Do you even know how this argument started?
>>
>>82004366
A comic can be popular on /co/ while not popular at all in any other measurable or meaningful manner.
>>
>>82003350
Marvel and DC are the only comics that exist. Any other comics are just an illusionary figment of your imagination. Welcome to /co/.

But also this is a thread for superhero comics, so Eurocomics are off-topic and don't belong here anyways.
>>
>>82003837
>Say, why do you like Batman?
I don't like Batman. I just tolerate him since he's in every major DC story.

>>82003774
>I like Kamala because it doesn't feel like her ethnicity is forced in to storylines.
And then you go on to show evidence that ethnicity is forced into her book....

Even ignoring that one muslim Inhuman that she had a brief love triangle with, due to her race and religion. And then they pulled a Buffy and made him evil.
>>
>>82004903
Its funny when you take into account alt/underground comix, how they're basically a haven for what a lot of current "progressives" want. If anything, Marvel and DC tend to be the outliers of the industry.
>>
>>82004753
I'm the poster that first brought up MBJ in the first place, so I sure hope so.

You'd like to scroll up you can also see a post where I mention that wanton creativity without a concern for marketability is not going to be found in the big 2 and that's doubly true for
movie stuidios.
>>
>>82004565
it's how she's written that makes her cute. some people will never understand that
>>
>>82006398
This. Anon should have said that once someone else starts writing her all shitty, then maybe her fanbase will start to wane.

>inb4 "she's already written all shitty"
>>
>>82004565
Alphona's Plain Jane Kamala is best Kamala. Miyazawa sucks.
>>
File: cool guy.png (76 KB, 900x773) Image search: [Google]
cool guy.png
76 KB, 900x773
>>82005023
What part is it forced in to her book? The culture shock can happen with any conservative parent in the US, it's not a stricly middle eastern thing.

I was noting that there is a similarity between the current state of Muslims and the Inhumans in the comic, but that's a storyline that's been used many time before i.e., mutatnts, so it's not really forced in just because of her ethnicity.

Go back to /pol/ kid before I school you in front of all your middle school friends again
>>
File: smugmala.jpg (132 KB, 317x599) Image search: [Google]
smugmala.jpg
132 KB, 317x599
>>
>>82004786
I doubt it was just /co/ buying all the issues of Nova v4...
>>
>>82006575
>What part is it forced in to her book?
All of it. In the first fucking issue she has a stock bully character that makes her drink beer and says she smells like curry. Or that one where Ms. Meme complains about feeling left out during the holiday season in america. How can you say race and religion isn't a factor in her comics?

>The culture shock can happen with any conservative parent in the US, it's not a stricly middle eastern thing.
Her parents aren't exactly "conservative", just moderate. And it's not a cultural shock when you had your kid and lived in New Jersey for at least 2 decades.

>I was noting that there is a similarity between the current state of Muslims and the Inhumans in the comic, but that's a storyline that's been used many time before i.e., mutatnts, so it's not really forced in just because of her ethnicity.
Once again you're proving that it is.

The struggle of mutants can be compared to civil rights but they're not a metaphor for it.

>Go back to /pol/ kid before I school you in front of all your middle school friends again
>>>/reddit/

>>82006443
>inb4 "she's already written all shitty"
This is true.

I mean look at fucking Silk and the hatred she got until her own book came out and she was QUTE XD.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.