[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Webcomic Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 21
File: 001.png (480 KB, 800x595) Image search: [Google]
001.png
480 KB, 800x595
Hey /co/ I just caught up on pic related after hearing about it in a thread on here not too long ago.

I decided I'd ask /co/ what they thought some of the better webcomics are out there. I'm mostly looking for something with more of a continuing storyline, but post anything you enjoy!
>>
>>81951720
There's only one comic you need to read, and its name is Endtown
>>
>>81951834
That's one I've only heard mentioned by name, but know nothing about. I'll look into it.
>>
Oh shit nigga, I was thinking about this the other day but forgot the name.
>>
>>81951899
It's called "Awful Hospital" and I had a lot of fun reading it actually, even if it's not a masterpiece.
>>
Bodyworld
Cochlea and Eustachia
Rice Boy
>>
>>81951720
There's always the super obvious Cyanide and Happiness, Hark a Vagrant, XKCD and OGLAF
>>
Here are a few I enjoy:

Kill 6 Billion Demons
Homestuck (it's okay)
Problem Sleuth (it's great)
Ava's Demon
Prequel (a little furry, but fun, especially if you like the Awful Hospital and Problem Sleuth format)
>>
File: Jack20090515.jpg (143 KB, 660x862) Image search: [Google]
Jack20090515.jpg
143 KB, 660x862
>>81951720
Like brutal rape?
Like gore?
Then I recommend Jack
>>
>>81952139
What if I'm not a fan of these things, but willing to view them if the rest of the content is good? Something tells me it's not, but I thought I would ask.
>>
what's the name of this comic?
>>
>>81952291
See >>81951972
>>
>>81951720
Give "Demon" a read
hard to google, look up shigabooks
it's fucking weirdly engaging and it turns into something a lot more deep and complicated the longer you go
>>
>>81952224
No, it's really not. I don't know if it's still running, but the only real reason Jack is admired is that it is literally the edgiest webcomic on the internet, which is admittedly pretty impressive.

For things that are good,
Erfworld - if you're into /tg/ stuff, or even if you aren't. It's really good.
Gunnerkrigg Court - famous enough that you're probably already reading it. If you aren't, you should. Famously recommended by Neil Gaiman.
Two Guys and Guy - consistently funny gag-a-day comic.
Awkward Zombie - The last good video game comic.
>>
>>81953900
I should mention that two guys and guy is on a hiatus at the moment, and "consistently funny" probably won't apply to whatever guest strips are on the front page for a week or so.
>>
>>81953900
>Gunnerkrigg Court - famous enough that you're probably already reading it. If you aren't, you should. Famously recommended by Neil Gaiman.
Oh shit! I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman, looks like I found something promising! Thanks man.
>>
>>81951720
Poppy O possum's a good one
>>
>>81951720
Rice Boy/Vattu/Order of Tales. Vattu isn't done yet, but the other two are amazing.
Drugs & Wires is a good cyberpunk comic set in 1995 alternative Russia. Very easy-going story, isn't annoying slang stuff.
The Sisters is a pretty good urban fantasy comic about three girls contending with a shapeshifting murderer. Got good recently.
Stand Still. Stay Silent is nice to look at, but I feel like a lot of its ideas don't execute perfectly.
>>
>>81951720

Erfworld I enjoy, thought a lot of the updates are more like 'written with a few images' than comic.

Still, if you want an interesting story it's pretty good.
>>
Terminal Lance.
>>
File: bloodycardinal.jpg (976 KB, 932x1184) Image search: [Google]
bloodycardinal.jpg
976 KB, 932x1184
>>81951976
Didn't Shaw take it down when the book came out?
>>81951720
If you're not reading this there's no hope for you...Sala is a true master. It's probably so good 'cause he was published before webcomics were a thing and honed his craft over many years (dude was in RAW, Zero Zero and lots of other anthologies, as well as putting out his own books).
>>
I like lackadaisy. Simple plot and great art.
>>
Girl genius is pretty good.
>>
Achewood. GOF is the single greatest storyline ever done in the webcomic medium.
>>
File: xoxoxoxo.png (427 KB, 900x638) Image search: [Google]
xoxoxoxo.png
427 KB, 900x638
>>81951720
Floraverse.
I don't get half of the story, but I like colors.
>>
>>81956427
Ah look at those cute fangs!
>>
>>81951720
1. Paranatural, a shonen anime parody about ghosts, trying its hardest not to turn into a shonen anime about ghosts. It's slow to update (claims to update on Tuesday and Friday, but usually ends up being Tuesday OR Friday) and story arcs tend to overstay their welcome, but the interesting story and unique character/creature designs keep me as hooked as a damn junkie.
2. Dr. McNinja, the adventures of a doctor who's also a ninja. The humor can be considered "so random" at times, but is still pretty great. It's wrapping up its final chapter, so you'll be able to read the whole thing pretty soon.
3. If you enjoy some horror elements, Last Halloween is a comic I'd recommend. The monster designs are 10/10 and the story and world-building are top notch.
4. It Hurts!! is big on /co/, and for a good reason. The less you know going into it, the better. It's wordy, but the dialogue is worth the wordiness, nine times out of ten.
5. People on /co/ seem to have a vendetta against the author (possibly with good reason), but Cucmber Quest is a cute little story with great art. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of story, but it's a cute read with comfy art. I rate it cute/cute.
6. Gastrophobia is a comic about a badass Amazon warrior who tries her best to raise her dork of a son.
>>
>>81951720
String theory: a weekly downward spiral- a cyberpunky Web comic about a scientist set in an alt-earth where the cold war didn't end
Dead winter- zombie apoc with a waitress as the lead with a nurse, a hitman, and a plumber as the side cast
>>
>>81953540
http://www.shigabooks.com/index.php looks like it ends this week, great fucking read
>>
>>81951720
>>81956996
1. http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-1
2. http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/0p1/
3. http://www.last-halloween.com/posts/1
4. http://gobolatula.com/ithurts/?comic=chapter-1-pasqualo-falls-in-love
5. http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-1/
6. http://www.gastrophobia.com/index.php?date=2008-07-30

There are all the links for the first page of each comic, in case you're interested. Some of them make it a bit annoying to find the first page, and I went ahead and threw in the other first pages for consistency.
>>
File: jim fucking loses it.jpg (442 KB, 900x1800) Image search: [Google]
jim fucking loses it.jpg
442 KB, 900x1800
>>81951834
>>81951854
OP no! You're a young man! Don't do it!
>>
>>81957126
string theory is a fave but calling it weekly is like calling BvS:DoJ a quiet little indy film
>>
>>81957228
That's the title
>>
File: image.gif (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
27 KB, 200x200
>>81951834
>>81951854
OP don't do it if you want to stay happy
>>
>>81955405
>Stand Still. Stay Silent
Tried getting into it but was completely thrown for a loop like one chapter in when all of a sudden we completely abandon all of the characters we've met up to this point and skip like 200 years into the future... like seriously, what the fuck?
>>
>>81951720
You should read The Wotch, I'm sure you'd love it
>>
File: sequenz.001.5.gif (50 KB, 1910x213) Image search: [Google]
sequenz.001.5.gif
50 KB, 1910x213
>>81951720
>webcomics
Image gallery for some recommendations part-categorised by type: 4chan-co.wikia.com/wiki/Webcomics
>>81957304
Broodhollow by Kris Straub is found on chainsawsuit website, but it's more long story/light horrow than gag-a-day

Octopus Pie has just finished the current storyline on a blast from the past, so will require reading from the start. Only if you don't mind Slice of Life stoner hipster lifestyles in Manhattan.

John Allison's Bad Machinery has ended but he's continuing the new Bobbins prequel story - both are long form character based, but only if you don't mind British quirkiness

Derelict is well written post apocaplytic sci-fi, Book 1 is finished, Book 2 is updating regulalrly

Finished online comics worth reading are: Copper, Digger (it won the Hugo award in 2012), and When I Am King (a wordless infinite canvas masterpiece from 2001) pic related.
>>
so i know already the only thing you really need to get right in a webcomic is update schedule

but is there any way to try and make up for having a hellish one regardless?

prequel guy seems to do it, unless that had a good schedule at first to bait people in.
>>
>>81956427
Didn't the author of this comic get a dude to start dating her
And then told him to castrate himself
And then broke up with him after he did
>>
File: IRememberFeelingAlive.png (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
IRememberFeelingAlive.png
1 B, 486x500
>>81957882
I love the shit out of John Allison's work but goddamn is it hard to understand what fits with what timeline.

Is Bad Machinery actually over and it's just Bobbins.horse now? I thought the Scary Go Round site was still updating, just the next BM case wouldn't come out for a while.
>>
File: 1426953617707.jpg (30 KB, 493x276) Image search: [Google]
1426953617707.jpg
30 KB, 493x276
>>81958300
Holy fuck, losing dick for a chick and then losing chick because of lack of dick.
>>
File: 20160418.png (101 KB, 600x1619) Image search: [Google]
20160418.png
101 KB, 600x1619
>>81957882
>Bad Machinery has ended
... or has it?
>>81958319
>Is Bad Machinery actually over

You know, with all the updates and reorganisation, I got confused, and I think you're right. The last BM appears to be The Case Of The Missing Piece about Blossom Cooper and on the last page Allison writes "MORDAWWA starts next week, Lottie returns for BABYSITTER OF THE YEAR in early summer, and a new case should begin just after that.".
>>
Sluggy Freelance.
It will take a couple of months.
>>
File: bones.jpg (119 KB, 427x450) Image search: [Google]
bones.jpg
119 KB, 427x450
Creepy Casefiles of Margo Maloo is my current favorite
>>
File: bastard.jpg (271 KB, 684x805) Image search: [Google]
bastard.jpg
271 KB, 684x805
Bastard if you want some Thriller.
>>
>>81951834
>first post

OP

Be warned

You will start reading it and you may not be able to stop.
>>
>>81951834
This.

But it's not an easy ride. Prepare to binge 8 years of content in less than two days with short brakes only for occasional empty stares at the nearest wall.
>>
>>81951834
>>81951854
>>81957338
>>81962090
>>81962278

I've started reading it a few days ago. I'm maybe three years into it. Four, maybe?

I've just arrived at the part with the airship

I've known about it for longer, but I never got around to reading it. I looked at a few pages, but it didn't do it for me. But, like with other things, when someone actually said something more than "just read it", the penny dropped. It sounded like something actually worth reading, because of a brief description of the central concept.

It starts out a little weird. The setting is immediately post-apocalyptic, but the first few pages are pretty much loosely strung together gag jokes about the town of cute animal people, and Albert's fat girlfriend. Though I did immediately notice that Gustine was well-drawn, in regards to her bodytype. Despite being an anthropomorphic rhino, she looks the way you'd expect a fat person to look. That's the sort of thing I look out for in a comic.

But boy, does that comic get dark. You don't see it coming, with the cartoony animal people. I mean, I used to watch Mad Max as a kid, we've all played the various Fallouts. We know the post-apocalypse, right? But Endtown does a very good post-apocalypse.

There are a few things that make Endtown a worthy read, in so far as I'm along. There's a good amount of internal consistency, especially regarding the apocalypse. The characters and their development are good. Endtown is very character-driven, and that's exactly what I like. The author has a real talent for making characters seem real, distinct people, even when they've only been around for a few panels. And the comic keeps moving. There's a bit of slack in the beginning (and I didn't read all of the text, there), but it picks up quickly, with another mystery around every corner, another problem to be solved. It's a real pageturner.
>>
File: endtown-2014-06-23.gif (129 KB, 900x364) Image search: [Google]
endtown-2014-06-23.gif
129 KB, 900x364
>>81963156
I like how it takes basically Sunday newspaper strip characters and progressively throws worse and worse shit at all of them.

The best part is that is how they all started, too

Here's the rhino girl you are talking about, before WWIII and mutationDon't ask what happened to the kid.
>>
>>81963156
Continued:

Endtown almost seems like a paradox. It looks cute, but it's bleak. Its cutesiness is also its source of body horror and existentialism you usually don't see in comics. It uses its black and white colour scheme to great effect, to the point where I'm not sure if colour would be an improvement.

And the morality of the new world it takes place in is at the constant forefront of Endtown's narrative. Its villains can be insanely villanous, yet I still care about them as characters. I even identify with them, maybe even a little too much.

It's a good comic. I never expected it to be this good when I started reading. I shrugged, and said "I'll give it a go, now that I know that there's a point to its setting". Well, there's a point. I think I'm officially a fan.
>>
>>81963317
It does pull a Shindlers List at one point: the only color used is blood red

because of the blood

so much blood
>>
File: ch01_01.jpg (271 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch01_01.jpg
271 KB, 600x900
Unsounded. Beautiful art, updates three days a week. Very interesting worldbuilding, great characters.
>>
Rice Boy, and all stories on that site.

You want really original world-building fantasy while maintaining an awesome story? Look no further. The archives aren't even that big, you can scarf these down in a few hours tops.
>>
File: HFD1[1].jpg (162 KB, 503x801) Image search: [Google]
HFD1[1].jpg
162 KB, 503x801
I recently read Hitmen for Destiny and oh boy, was it a ride.
Yes, the art is ugly as hell, but at the same time the comic somehow manages to benefit from the minimalistic paint art and naive delivery. I loved all the crazy creatures and logic puzzle-like dilemmas the author put his characters through.
It is honestly astonishing and I feel like the author should be a scriptwriter or something, not a comic artist. Only on the last 100 pages it feels as if he got a bit bored of it, compared to the beginning.

That being said I am also just reading his other comics and Transdimensional Brain Chip got an intersting concept too.
>>
>>81964459
>Yes, the art is ugly as hell

Christ, that's not an understatement.
>>
>>81964549
The strange thing is that the author/artist has never gotten much better over the years. If anything I would say his art got stiffer.
Which means that either he is genuinely incompetent or he deliberately draws like that.
>>
>>81964591
no he's clearly gotten much better in terms of how his humans look, but it's a bit subtle. obviously art isn't his focus but at the same time this couldn't work as just a book due to how weird and colorful the creatures are.
>>
>>81964666
Maybe he should just team up with another artist. I would love to see his monsters redrawn by somebody else.
>>
>>81964680
his art's charming in a way, honestly. i've seen much worse.
>>
File: endtown-2015-05-29.gif (305 KB, 900x920) Image search: [Google]
endtown-2015-05-29.gif
305 KB, 900x920
>>81951834
NOT for the faint of heart.
>>
>>81964696
This is the internet. You don't have to look far to find worse, even when the art looks like the artist shoved his mouse up his ass and twerked to Milkshake with a Paint window open.

"I've seen worse" doesn't really cut it, I'm afraid. It does kind of remind me of a webcomic I used to read that also had atrocious art, but decent writing. I don't remember what it was called, but it was this setting where there's a Mad Scientist Disease, and the main character is reformed/cured mad scientist who teams up with a representative of a high-tech hive mind in order to stop a guy going through a particularly dangerous manifestation. The entire thing is in this faux-manga style with flat colours, but the writing was decent. Good character development, and an interesting look into a hivemind that isn't bugs or the Borg.
>>
>>81955738
>It's probably so good 'cause he was published before webcomics were a thing and honed his craft over many years (dude was in RAW, Zero Zero and lots of other anthologies, as well as putting out his own books).

He started out in the Mini Comics scene in the 80's
>>
>>81964867
This may be a weird question, but could people please spoiler these panels? I'm not even halfway through the comic, and I already spoiled way too much for myself by casually browsing /co/ when I thought I'd never be interested in the comic.

Kind of weird how I never picked up on how bleak the comic is, given that this is the only thing people have mentioned thusfar. Or maybe I just didn't think people were telling the truth, or that it was simple fanboyism.
>>
-Stark Reality
Aussie 80's cyberpunk anthology, (nearly) all set in an Australia covered by 80's cyberpunk urban sprawl. Raw, funny, and goodlooking. Stopped abruptly when the author decided to make post-apocalyptic comic Kranburn, also set in Australia. I'm not a fan.

-Crossed: Wish You Were Here
Yeah, yeah, it's Crossed. But it's free Crossed, it's finished, and it's the best of all the Crossed stuff I've ever read. Yes, better than the one with Prince Harry. The story follows Shakey, a weak and shifty survivor who attributes his survival mostly to luck. He's part of a group sitting on an island, where they're trying to not draw attention to themselves. Slowly it becomes apparent that there's more than just "normal" Crossed shit going on, and Shakey starts getting restless. Good interpersonal stuff, and the plot keeps moving. Probably the least edgy of the Crossed comics, too.
>>
>>81957195
Cuco Quest is harmless, but has horrible, awful pacing.
>>
File: bogpreach.png (13 KB, 520x213) Image search: [Google]
bogpreach.png
13 KB, 520x213
>>81951720
The creator of that comic is a real trip
>>
>>81968210
I always thought his pieces about weird critters were funny.
>>
>>81968210
That isn't a good counter point.

>it's 2016, I'm allowed to take things way too seriously and make a moron out of myself!
>>
>>81951720
http://lackadaisycats.com/comic.php?comicid=1

Here; no need to thank me, have fun.
>>
Unsounded
Harpy Gee
Ava's deons
>>
File: CYBKDH4UwAAV-Zu.jpg (60 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
CYBKDH4UwAAV-Zu.jpg
60 KB, 600x850
If you want children crying and cool aliens, go read NEOKOSMOS.
>>
>>81969720
Sounds like a Steven Universe ripoff
>>
>>81969805

It's super not. It primarily deals with heavy isolationism and how it affects kids.
>>
>>81951720

Electric Retard
>>
>>81969720
>>81969923
Don't listen to this guy, it's complete shit. Ugly wannabe SU art plus a ripoff of the Homestuck format, but with static panels so it defeats the fucking purpose
>>
>>81970586
Relax, buddy.
>>
>>81968210
>>81969012
Ya I haven't looked into him at all, but I hear he's a huge piece of work who can't handle being wrong over the Internet.
>>
>>81971473
Sounds like the average person on the internet.
>>
>>81951720
Blindsprings. Well drawn and written.
http://www.blindsprings.com/comic/blindsprings-cover-book-one
>>
>>81958300
Gonna need some kind of evidence, holy shit.
>>
File: image10.png (58 KB, 237x293) Image search: [Google]
image10.png
58 KB, 237x293
>>81959491

Okay yeah, that's what I figured. In the meantime I've been trying to go through his reader guide and read all the little interstitial stuff I missed or never knew about
>>
File: boxerhockey.png (724 KB, 738x566) Image search: [Google]
boxerhockey.png
724 KB, 738x566
Boxer Hockey by Tyson Hesse

If you liked Scott Pilgrim, then you'll probably like this. It's a fantasy sport comic that follows a team of complete idiots as they compete for fame, fortune, and frogs.

The art is clean and incredible. I think it's the best looking webcomic on the internet.
>>
>>81951720
Sabrina Online is really good if you like consistent slice of life type stuff.
>>
File: 194.jpg (483 KB, 1040x520) Image search: [Google]
194.jpg
483 KB, 1040x520
>>81951720
I've got a webcomic called Ennui GO! It updates every day, and general reaction to it has been pretty positive so far.

ennuigo.smackjeeves.com
>>
>>81954389
Agree!
>>
It's all but completely dead last I checked, but there's years worth of achewood out there and it's all hilarious. It takes a little bit to get into it, with a slow start, but achewood's best years are an amazing read.
>>
>>81975942
Achewood is updating again, fairly regularly!
>>
>>81975603
Except it died ages ago without going anywhere.
>>
>>81971473
You just described everyone on this website.
>>
To echo things people have posted here, you should try reading:
Poppy O'Possum
Endtown
Bastard
Rice Boy
Akward Zombie
Kill 6 Billion Demons
Prequel
Pandemonium Wizard Village
Existential Comics
Dr. McNinja
What Nonsense

There are more funny slice-of-life or joke-a-day comics:
Cyanide and Happiness
Hark a Vagrant
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
Two Guys and Guy

Additionally, there are a number that I would recommend, except they aren't finished nor are they receiving updates:
Cheap Thrills - (At this point might not ever finish)
Jack - (On a long-term hiatus)
Boxer Hockey - (Also may not ever finish)
Ava's Demon - (Has long breaks when making animations)

And then of course there are some more obscure webcomics like Daily Grind (http://pandora.xepher.net/daily/index.html) which while looks pretty awful, has an interesting setting/story and updates consistently (for many years now even!)
>>
>>81957384
that's pretty much the prologue man

I understand what you mean if you started reading since the biginning, but for me I just took it as a nice cool prologue
>>
ZebraGirl
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.