[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she a Mary Sue?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: 2434899-m-monet-st-croix-9.jpg (261 KB, 900x1276) Image search: [Google]
2434899-m-monet-st-croix-9.jpg
261 KB, 900x1276
Is she?
>>
>>81926454
How do you figure? Isn't she an irrelevant bitch?
>>
>>81926454
I always disliked how most of muggas have one power and she's on Superman's super-knitting level.
>>
>>81926454
Powers wise, absolutely. But all the way back to Gen X I think her personality/ the way she gets along with others is really flawed.
>>
>>81926696
She's an arrogant diva bitch

Wouldn't mind being her fucboi though, she can peg me, kick my balls, step on my dick, spit on my face and pee in my mouth as much as she wants
>>
>>81926454
Not particularly because he great powerset is offset by the fact she's pretty much a completely unlikable turbo-cunt in-universe. She's haughty and egotistical and as a result is pretty much unable to work effectively with anyone.
>>
>>81926785
>She's haughty and egotistical and as a result is pretty much unable to work effectively with anyone.
Just like Emma?
>>
She's the better version of America Chavez.
>>
>>81926454

She's pretty top tier waifu material.
>>
>>81926660
Yeah, this rubbed me wrong about her, too.

Mutants are supposed to be somewhat hyper-specialized. Then we got secondary mutations, which I'm still not much of a fan of.

Meanwhile, M kind of fucked it up by having way too many powers. She just never felt like a mutant to me.
>>
>>81928307
Don't mention that to Marvel editorial or they will go all Squirrel Girl on us.
>>
File: 2203590-prv11508_pg2.jpg (519 KB, 900x1178) Image search: [Google]
2203590-prv11508_pg2.jpg
519 KB, 900x1178
>>81928307
She's a flying brick with telepathy same as Exodus
>>
>>81926454

Before we continue, why don't you explain to us what you believe a mary sue to be, OP?
>>
>>81928426
Exodus sucked too.
>>
>>81926454
I kind of hate everything about the way PAD utilized her in X-Factor. But it's not that big of a deal, she's been ruined since Hama's Gen X run anyway.
>>
>>81928307
Well, you've gotta remember Lobdell's original intention with M. There was never supposed to even be a Monet. She was always supposed to be a gestalt of Claudette and Nicole. Which is why she was given to weird, inexplicable behavior in early Generation X.

Then Hama decided that Penance was the real Monet and then the twins were Penance and and then the twins were the twins and Penance was Hollow...
>>
>>81926454

Not really. She's got flying bricks powers, that rival Iron Man at best, and is just functional enough at telepathy to count as having it.

She's like, a good carol Danvers.
>>
>>81926454
I'm not sure you know what Mary Sue means
>>
>>81926660
>>81928307
Supposedly she's what mutation is actually supposed to turn most of mankind into. All-round superhumans. She's the step before everyone turns into Franklin Richards tier mega psychics.
>>
>>81928646

Mutant family trees. Not even once.
>>
>>81929672
Superspeed and telekinesis too. She can cross a far distance and catch a bullet after it's been fired.
>>
>>81929746
>super hot, super smart, super strong, super fast, super agile, super resilient, super senses, super rich, telepathy, flight, psionic blast, etc etc etc
>>
>>81929785
Yah, I know. I still don't like it. I like my muggas with one power.
>>
>>81929832

So she's a proper posthuman mutant then

DC has the same thing with Captain Comet
>>
>>81929839
Superman has triple her powerset at way higher levels and I don't see you calling him a Mary Sue.

Dream of the Endless could wink out every superhero ever without effort. Is he a Mary Sue? What about the other Endless? Or Lucifer?
>>
>>81929956

Well no, Supes is only moderately hot and has a middle of the road income
>>
>>81929785
That super sueish
>>
>>81929982
Supes is gloriously attractive. He's the ideal man incarnate.

And he has no need for income, as he is the most powerful person on his planet - functionally, in his universe, since his legend demands that he defeats most foes more powerful than him. And everyone loves him.
>>
>>81929956
Superman doesn't have telepathy, neither he's super smart nor super agile.

He also doesn't have super attractive as a power, and Monet has it. Moner is so hot even tumblr fatterinas think she's beautiful and will never bully her.
>>
>>81930018
Why?

Can you describe in detail what makes that Sueish? Are mutants in general Mary Sues because they're the next step up from normal humans in Mahvel's wacky space magic version of evolution?
>>
>>81930048
>he has no need for income

THEN HOW IS HE GOING TO PAY FOR PRETZELS.

Without income, there's no way he can go to Mahmoud's pretzel stand in Metropolis Central Park and enjoy the crips taste of a fresh pretzel.

Sure, as Superman he could just TAKE them, but that would be wrong.
>>
>>81929839
And despite all that she's still a Z-lister and gets defeated in fights more often than not. Come on, I love PAD's X-Factor, but they were literally a bunch of in-world losers in it.
>>
>>81930080
>Superman
>not super smart or super agile

You high bro

You're talking about an earth-cracking scientist who shoots nuclear lasers from his eyes and moves faster than light
>>
>>81930170
They make her, for no reason, job everytime, but her power set is more than enough to make her a A-lister. She's also super smart, like smarter than Pym, Beast, Tony, etc
>>
>>81930182
>moves faster than light
That's super fast, not super agile.
>>
>>81930080
>superman doesn't have telepathy

Oh no. What a nightmare for him.

Superman does have:

Superhuman Strength.
Superhuman Speed.
Invulnerability.
Multispectral Vision.
Superhuman Senses.
Super Breath
Genius Level Intellect (yeah, look it up)
Superhuman Memory
Super Ventriloquism
Super Hypnotism
Superhuman Stamina
Regeneration
The Ability to Explode Like a Nuke

He has all these powers at levels so far above Monet's it's ridiculous.

And he is functionally superhumanly attractive. Women drool over him like he's Mr. Darcy made of diamond rings. There have been comics where female characters actually state he is probably the most attractive man in the universe.
>>
>>81926454
the power to be a nigger in half her appearance and white in the other half? pass.
>>
>>81930145
Mahmoud would likely give him those pretzels on the house, because everyone in the world loves Superman. He'd never actually have to pay for anything ever.

Note, still not saying he's a Mary Sue.
>>
>>81930343
Pretty sure some of those are Golden Age stuff
>>
>>81930343
Except exploding like a Nuke, Monet has all of those.

Monet also has telepathy (part of hypnotism is due that and being super attractive) and psionic blasts.

The only thing Monet doesn't have is thermal (understand as "firing lazers through eyes") vision and freezing breath.
>>
>>81930399
Uh, no.

Superman was at his weakest in the Golden Age. You're thinking Silver Age.

All those are powers he has in his Bronze Age incarnation, though. Except for the nuke one, that's recent. Note that he ALSO has the power to LOOK INTO PEOPLE'S SOULS AND SEE IF THEY'RE GOOD OR NOT.
>>
>>81926454
No. Even without her constantly jobbing in fights, Mary Sues are supposed to be universally loved in-world. When M acts like a bitch, she gets called out on it.
>>
>>81930343
>The Ability to Explode Like a Nuke

This sounds positively hilarious. Tell me more.
>>
>>81930511
This, she's a bitch plus she jobs more than Gohan and Piccolo fused
>>
>>81926454
Psychically/power wise, she's perfection.

Mentally/emotionally/socially? Oh man. Far from perfect. She is arrogant, entitled, and after that whole dying/coming back, she's a mess.

The term "Mary Sue" is more for self inserts and characters who are socially perfect and all who oppose them are villains.

Monet IS the adversary most of the time -- the Ultimate "Mean Girl"

She knows she's good, and there's very little in the way of saying she isn't.

Except that she's a bitch, which is something she just accepts.
>>
File: bujam9yj8ejw84vdzmhh.png (995 KB, 800x616) Image search: [Google]
bujam9yj8ejw84vdzmhh.png
995 KB, 800x616
>>81930525
He probably think of solar flare.
>>
>>81930437
1. You're bullshitting about Monet literally having superhuman attractiveness. She doesn't. She's just very good looking, it doesn't have some magical effect. She's functionally the same as Superman - a human in the absolute peak of physical well-being.

2. All of Superman's abilities are at a level so far beyond Monet it's laughable. Monet can hear a conversation a few miles away. Superman can hear a conversation on the other side of a planet.

3. Monet lacks Super Exploding, Thermal Vision (thermal vision to powerful it can melt planets, mind you), Super Breath, Freeze Breath, Super Ventriloquism, and Soul Perception (yeah).

>>81930525
It's a recent ability tacked on to him. He expends all his solar radiation and goes up like a supernova. That's it.
>>
>>81930678
>It's a recent ability tacked on to him. He expends all his solar radiation and goes up like a supernova. That's it.

Damn, they could've really gone someplace else with that.

>>81930599
thanks
>>
>>81930599
Huh, pretty sure that was initially one of Apollo's powers. Guess him and Supes are even more alike now.
>>
>>81926918
Not exactly. Despite their similar upbringing (old money, borne out with silver spoon). They have entirely different path and personality.

- Emma Frost grown out of his wealthy family. Cut off from her trust fund because she sided with her gay brother from their abusive father. Lived off on her formative years as homeless before gain entrance to Hellfire Club.
>M (Monet St. Croix)borne out of royal/blue blood and wealthy family, still living off her old money trust fund kid lifestyle to this day.

- Emma despite seemingly aloof, arrogant and egoistical personalities, is quite a caring and sociable person. She simply having this dry sense of humor and sarcastic wit.
>M is a very private, distance and simply arrogant personality.
>>
>>81930100
Because she's a special snowflake in the writer claiming she's somehow what all mutants are meant to be, she's beyond the beyond of 'the next evolution of mankind' like the train of hack writers that introduce new characters or power up old ones and then claim they are "beyond Omega" when the omega classification already stands for infinite potential.

It was hilarious with that shitty character in the Spiderman comics, they had reed richards shit his pants and go on about "He's beyond Omega class, he is... Alpha Class!!" when Alpha class was already a thing... it's the step BELOW an omega classification and thus 'inferior'.
>>
>>81931207
Emma is a bitch and should never have been pushed as a hero, and as a telepathic mutant her and her clones are already disgusting monsters who give the normies a legit reason to be worried.
>>
>>81931410
Jean pls.
>>
>>81926454
Nobody likes her and everyone's aware that she's a cunt. That's literally the opposite of what a Mary Sue is.
>>
>>81931544
Its true, Emma, her teenage triplet clones, teen jean from the past brought to the future. All of them are monsters who threaten and manipulate people on a whim, violating peoples brains even outside of times where its justifiable.
>>
>>81931344
Really? Which writer?

In PADs x-factot run she was pretty formidable, but most of the time she couldn't win solo. And it never felt like bullshit.
>>
>>81926454
Yes. But intentionally so, because she was originally two 8 year olds in a trench coat pretending to be a totally super awesone teenager.
>>
>>81930455
>he ALSO has the power to LOOK INTO PEOPLE'S SOULS AND SEE IF THEY'RE GOOD OR NOT.
Lex plz everyone knows you're full of shit, that's not a superpower
>>
>>81931344
She's not beyond the next evolution of mankind, you dumbass.

She's just an all-round superhuman that natural selection will probably turn homo superior into a race of. Telekinesis, telepathy, and various physical enhancements adapt them best to their surroundings. Stuff like OPTIC BLAAAAAST and and such, while cool, will probably end up being shed by natural selection because it's not really super advantageous.

Monet is explicitly not an omega powered mutant. Nor is she more powerful than an omega mutant. She just has a powerset that is very versatile and probably what homo superior will look like on the whole down the line, though they're likely to have superior telekinesis, telepathy, etc in the future.
>>
>>81929839
And most people she knows hate her.

Contrast with Arrow's Felicity: doesn't matter what her real capabilities are, everyone loves her, thinks she's perfect, etc.
>>
>>81932379
Seriously. Even Monet's friends don't like her.
>>
>>81932379
Well, Felicity is above Superman though, she's stronger than everyone
>>
File: New Avengers v3 017-009.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
New Avengers v3 017-009.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>81930994
Even better, Marvel's Superman beat him to the ability by two years.
>>
>>81932729
Man, Sun God was a great Superman.

Genuinely choked up about his horrible death.
>>
>>81929672
Iron-man is within the 100 ton range though. Monet is 75 tons at best.
>>
>>81932073
Since mutant powers are completely random and activate in wildly varying forms without rhyme nor reason that's total nonsense.
>>
>>81930048
>he is the most powerful person on his planet
Are we going to start calling aliens a person now? The most powerful person on the planet is Lex Luthor, not Superman.
>>
>>81932729
I'm pretty sick of how many explicit superman knockoffs Marvel has.
>>
File: retro reed richards laugh.jpg (39 KB, 268x303) Image search: [Google]
retro reed richards laugh.jpg
39 KB, 268x303
>>81930234
>She's also super smart, like smarter than Pym, Beast, Tony, etc
Smarter than Beast? I can understand that since Beast is a fucking dumbass. But Pym and Stark? No fucking way is she smarter than Pym and Stark.
>>
>>81933087
She's, but with that power comes flaws like super arrogance, like double the amount of Reed's and Pym's together.
>>
>>81933087
She actually is, and has the potential to be way smarter than them, but she's an arrogant diva bitch who'll never do anything for anyone.

But writers make her job 100% of the time so you'll never notice her powers.
>>
File: tony smirk.jpg (16 KB, 249x389) Image search: [Google]
tony smirk.jpg
16 KB, 249x389
>>81933431
>She actually is, and has the potential to be way smarter than them,
That is like saying Parker is smarter than Pym because some hack claimed he is. This is not even taking into consideration that the best thing Parker ever invented with funding is a slightly better mini-refrigerator.
>>
>>81933017
it's all in good sport. DC has plenty of Marvel knock-offs to balance the books
>>
>>81933880
Super intelligence is among her powerset, Tony, meanwhile you and Pym don't have it among yours.
>>
File: full richards.png (244 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
full richards.png
244 KB, 500x499
>>81934064
Super-intelligence does not mean that you are automatically smarter than those that are naturally super-intelligent. Leader isn't smarter than Doom despite his gamma-enhanced intellect. Superman isn't smarter than Lex despite his solar-enhanced intellect. Monet isn't smarter than Pym and Stark despite her x-gene enhanced intellect.
>>
>>81933984
They have the entire 90's female xmen line as call-girls/strippers

They have showed up a couple times
>>
>>81934258
Yeah, this.

Super-Intelligence just means that you're smarter with it than you would have been without it.

But expecting comic writers to grasp how intelligence, particularly 'genius', works is like expecting a chimp to understand how to build a microchip.
>>
>>81931671
I wish Xavier would come back and lobotomize the lot. Even if he was an ass, he was quiet about it.
>>
>>81934258
They should be smarter than those without that power, the problem is that they aren't as popular as Doom, Reed, Tony or even Pym.

And to be honest, 90% of the time writers forget Superman is actually smart.
>>
>>81934372
What?
>>
>>81934692
There was an issue with a bachelor party and the hired strippers looked like Jean/Storm/Rogue/Psyloke down to faces/hair/color themes
>>
>>81932979
They're not random in second generation mutants, though. Pay attention to actual comics.

Jean's kids are all telekinetics/telepaths. Emma and Scott's future kid has a mixture of their powers. Basically ALL future mutants have a power that is similar to or a mixture of their parents' powers.

So natural selection is still in play.
>>
>>81928449
Like "cuck", most people on 4chan have no idea what Mary Sue actually means any more. These days it is almost universally used to mean "A character I don't like."
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.