[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
asm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
I have ragequit the Spiderman and Marvel more or less in general after the events of the One More Day and the Brand New Day.

I was enjoying the pre-OMD storyline very much and it just made me crazy. I know that they made the ASM go 4 times a month from 1 etc.. afterwards lot of good stuff but I was an angry nerd who ragequit.

So now after all these years I want to ask is it worth it to read the whole thing from the start to today? How are the runs?
>>
Get ready for some pain.
>>
>>81909053
>How are the runs?

Hit or miss. Not really worth doing OMD, honestly.
>>
>>81909111
>>81909227
damn this is really not encouraging
>>
It's crazy but there's actually a lot of good things in Slott's run up to Spider-Island (which was kinda bad). Then we have Superior Spider-Man which is a painful change in the status quo but the series itself was good. Haven't read anything after that but heard bad things about it.

the thing is. even though they're decent stories, they're still a step backwards. I enjoyed mature Peter from JMS's run (ya know, before it went to shit after JRJR left) because it felt like 'real' Spider-Man; like the same Spider-Man we had in the 70s and 80s and let's not speak of the 90s. This was teenage superhero Spider-Man, all grown up, in his early 30s, married, teaching science. It was great.

then it's like *that* Spider-Man died and we got young prodigy Peter Parker, in his mid 20s, working as a super scientist and becoming a billionaire and living the dream

it just doesn't feel like the same character. it's not bad if you look at it like Ultimate Spider-Man or what not but it's still really painful that the 'original' Spider-Man storyline ended with him making a deal with Satan
>>
Pretty much the only main book worth reading is Superior, and even that has rough spots. There's been plenty of great spin offs though, although most focusing on a different spider character.
>>
>>81909374
how are the sales number compared to now and preOMD?
>>
Superior Spider-Man is some fucking edgelord garbage. It's typical shit Slott no matter what any anon here says. Read Scarlet Spider by Yost and call it a day.
>>
Wait people hate ANAD Spider-man? It's pretty fucking good, especially compared to superior and spider-verse
>>
>>81910296
Lmfao
>>
>>81909374
Superior is such a good storyline in theory. Doc Ock should've been portrayed better.
Him started to love Mary Jane should've been instead about him getting really weirded out because he's like two times her age.
>>
>>81910296
I'll give you Spider-verse, but it doesn't hold a candle to Superior.
>>
>>81910414
Slott's ideas in general aren't bad. Its his execution of those ideas that fall apart.

-What if Doc-Ok took over Peter's body and tried to prove he could be a better Spider-Man.
-What if Felecia became a crime lord.
-What if all of the Spider characters in every continuity and some new unique ones all came together to take on a massive threat.
-What is Parker was no longer a poor fuck-up and actually took advantage of that technical genius of his.
-What if Parker and MJ had a kid and they lived in a world where a villain killed all of the other super powered people in the world who wouldn't work for him.

These are all pretty good ideas (granted some of them aren't unique). He just needs to learn how to develop those ideas to be good from start to finish. Its actually kind of frustrating. Its like watching a kid in grade-school be very quick to learn things but then eat paste.
>>
It goes up and down. I was kind of young so I embraced change, but I don't know if I would now. Overall I liked pretty much all the new and revamped characters, even though they kind of disappeared.

New ways to die is really good though, I'd recommend reading up to 599 or so to get most of the Harry Osborn story and then stopping whenever you get bored after that.
>>
Brand New Day started off a little rocky, but was actually the era churned out a lot of great "back to the basics" Spidey stories of street crime and friendly neighborhood.

Slott's run as been okay, it started with him taking Peter off the streets and embroiled in more personal grudges rather than sticking to a beat. The high point for Slott was Spider-Island, and it's been downhill since then. Some people liked Superior as a nice change of pace, but I think it's where Slotts flaws as a writer really started shining through -- namely his inability to properly build tension as well as leaning heavy on exposition to explain character motivation rather than show us character motivation.

I'd say real the Brand New Day era and then if you're digging it keep going through Slott. I'm almost positive it's all on Marvel Unlimited if you already have that or I'm sure there's a torrent floating around if you prefer pirating.
>>
>>81909374
It's weird, I loved superior in everything but his own series. It seemed like making the character work required all of Spidey's side characters to shut their brains off, and I feel like Slott never really moved past his own love for the character. Throw him in someone else's book however, and the writers absolutely wouldn't hesitate to call Spock out on being such a prat, and his characterization comes off as a lot more arrogant and stuck up because of it.
That and Slott's incessant need to repeatedly shit on Peter sort of soured the main run also taking over someone else's body and putting their dick in a midget seems like a questionable thing to do in a comicbook aimed at 12 year olds.
>>
I think Dan Slott is a great idea maker, just holy fuck. he can't write Peter Parker for shit.

I pray for the day that Marvel gives Spidey a GOOD writer, and gives Spidey a non-shitty team-up, like Old-Man Logan/Wolverine/Spider-Man kinda thing. Oh, and an actual avengers team, not that shit ANAD stuff. I mean like Hulk/Wolverine/Steve Rogers/Captain Marvel/Spider-Woman/Hawkeye/Iron Man. The good ol' days, you feel, senpai?

Just get Slott off my Spidey. As soon as that happens, Spidey will be more free.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.