[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 71PithyctZL.jpg (214 KB, 1003x1500) Image search: [Google]
71PithyctZL.jpg
214 KB, 1003x1500
Why does Identity Crisis get such a bad rap?

The only criticism I ever hear is because of the rape, the end, and how all the characters ended up depressed or suspicious of each other.
>>
The rape is considered very triggering, and /co/'s favorite marysue the flash wasn't over powered for once.
>>
>>81906116
the whole mystery that the plot revolves around is completely nonsensical
>>
It didn't earn its ending and most of the main cast was frustratingly out of character. It created a shitty trend of "mature" naturalism in DC comics when it had finally emerged from the shitty trends of the 90s. That trend led to garbage like Cry For Justice.
>>
>>81906116
>Muh Silver Age I wasn't even around for

Forced deepness, resolution of the mystery was out of left field.

The Slade shit...
>>
>>81906116
Is this the one where Spider-Man was four different heroes?
I liked Dusk.
>>
The Deathstroke thing was pretty dumb.
>>
>>81906403
>Muh Silver Age I wasn't even around for

It's a good thing it's a love letter from Meltzer to the Bronze Age, then. For good or ill.

>that roster on the cover
>silver age

christ. Read comics before you bitch about them
>>
>>81906177
There's a big difference between being overpowered for a speedster and being taken down by deathstroke. It literally makes no sense within the story. It's like saying that superman is a mary sue because bullets can't harm him.
>>
>>81907528
Flash wasnt the problem kyle was.
Peopleforget several things about wally.

Deathstroke has been fighting wally for 10 years, he nows him pretty weel
Wally under the speed of sound is affected by momentum or at least was after barry died
Flash doesnt go faster than light or needs to tap into the speed force most of the time.
>>
>>81907146
The back of the book has Meltzer literally saying it's a love letter to the silver age...
>>
>>81906116
I adored this when it came out. I thought the writing was top-notch, the dark feel was awesome, and the examination of heroes as imperfect was insightful. I was 12 at the time.
>>
Well for one, the only way the murders made sense was that if the Atom himself committed them, not his fucking wife who was the one that decided to divorce him in the first place.
>>
>>81907992
I---He....it's not my fault Meltzer is retarded
>>
>>81906116
It was the point where the DCU went grimderp for good.

Infinite Crisis tried to address the problem but the grimderp wouldn't go away. New 52 didn't help, either.
>>
>>81906116
i hate that shitty cover
>>
>>81910418
But it's no longer part of the New 52.
>>
>>81906116
The mystery makes no sense and requires all the characters involved to act like idiots.

The pacing is abysmal. About half the start of it is wasted on a red herring.

Said red herring is a retconned-in rape that barely makes any sense and could have been removed without altering the story at all.

Deathstroke wank. Forget that Flash business; defeating the Atom with a laser pointer is straight-up impossible.

The actual murderer is barely in the story.

The tone is a complete mess - it's incredibly maudlin and miserable, but still tries to feature all the old-school Bronze Age stuff.

Despite being a "love letter," a good chunk of the story is based on misunderstandings, retcons, and ideas that make the Satellite-era League look dumber and grimmer than they ever were.

Multiple characters are killed off for no good reason, kicking off terrible plotlines like Tim Drake going all angsty or that Eclipso business.

The entire story is pretentious. And I don't mean pretentious in the buzzword definition of "smart thing I don't like" - I mean it in the sense that it thinks it's much smarter than it actually is. It's a third-rate murder mystery where there isn't a mystery, existing solely to proclaim that COMICS AINT FOR KIDS ANYMORE.
>>
>>81906403
Actually, though Deathstroke does pull some bullshit stuff there (he actually HAS fought all those characters before but did so more intelligently and didn't just...stand there in the open), he still looses that fight.
>>
>>81906439
FUCKING NEWFAG
>>
>>81913506
>Multiple characters are killed off for no good reason
Boomer deserved better. Okay he was a scumbag with no redeemable qualities, but he deserved to die in a better comic
>>
Deathstroke taking down the JL was completely stupid. Like Kyle trying to punch him instead of you know using the ring.

The actual mystery made no fucking sense.

It killed Tim's dad which started his descent into a bad character.
>>
>>81913893
I think I hate how Meltzer fucked up the villains more than anything else.
>>
File: Spider-Man-Identity_Crisis.jpg (61 KB, 360x560) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man-Identity_Crisis.jpg
61 KB, 360x560
Only Meltzer I've ever read was the first arc of his Justice League ongoing (with Grundy trying to steal Red Tornado's body for reasons), and it was so fucking dumb.

Doesn't this guy write bargain-basement Dan Brown-esque political thrillers for a living?

>>81907146
>Bronze Age

Bronze Age is really more of a subcategory of the Silver Age than its own thing entirely. Its like the latter Bronze Age.

>>81906439
lol
>>
>>81913506
>Multiple characters are killed off for no good reason
>Firestorm just dies
>No one gives a shit afterwards
>>
File: Identity Crisis.jpg (515 KB, 562x1501) Image search: [Google]
Identity Crisis.jpg
515 KB, 562x1501
>>81906116
For all the reasons you mentioned and more.
>>
>>81907992
Batman RIP is a love letter to the Silver Age. I don't think Meltzer knows what he's talking about there. This shits all over those characters.
>>
>>81916242

Forgot Jack Drake also died. Yeah, that was stupid because the Wayne boys were then all coincidentally orphans.
>>
File: Suicide Squad07.jpg (2 MB, 1811x4963) Image search: [Google]
Suicide Squad07.jpg
2 MB, 1811x4963
>>81919311
Fucking Captain Boomerang died. What a shitshow that book was.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.