[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really liked this show. What happened to it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: Young Justice.jpg (70 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
Young Justice.jpg
70 KB, 728x409
>>
Cartoon Network happened to it.
>>
Too good for this world
>>
>>81885430
It wasn't selling merchandise, so it was canceled.
>>
Too many girls liked it, which the suits didn't want.
>>
>>81885430
It was Didio's first day on the job, cut him some slack.
He's been a pretty good EiC otherwise.
But seriously, the show was gonna make Impulse and Blue Beetle gay lovers so execs pulled the plug.
>>
Hello, Megan.
>>
>>81885430

Weisman Curse.
>>
>>81885430
supposedly made for children but in reality it was made for teenagers/young adults
>>
>>81885445
>>81885449
>>81885712
ITT: We design official Young Justice merchandise that teenage girls would buy.
>>
>>81885430
Teen Titans Go happened.
>>
Cartoons are extremely expensive to make.

So in order to be made you need to sell merchandise to justify its cost.

No merch was being sold (Because the network wasn't even trying to make any)

It got canned.

Its the sad truth behind all cartoons made since 1980. If you don't sell goods outside of the show then you get cancelled
>>
>>81885853
Remember the all female squad from season 2 that got sent to infiltrate Bialya?

Just make stuff themed around them.
>>
>>81885853
So...dildoes?
>>
>>81885979
That fuccboi Impulse was there too
>>
>>81885449
Wait what
>>
>>81885904
>(Because the network wasn't even trying to make any)
Did these people even go to business school this seems like a fucking no brainer
Not even Hasbro is this fucking stupid not even fucking games workshop is this retarded.
>>
>>81885904
>Cartoons are extremely expensive to make.
This. I was shocked when I finally saw most of it on Netflix and remembered how much money was clearly spent on-screen.
>>
>>81885853
Hello Megan! pushup bras.
>>
>>81885430
Did it not just get a movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjg3oNxaJ4
>>
>>81886079
Was a Hello Megan T-shirt ever made? I think that would have sold at the time.
>>
>>81885430
poor direction
>>
>>81886032
Advertisers and corporate douches are usually crusty old men, so they have a very old-fashioned, G.I. Joe vs. Barbie perspective on boys & girls. Advertisers buy commercial time on shows according to what the target demographics of the show is - they bought air time for "boy oriented" products during YJ and DC Nation in general, because they figured "superheroes are for boys". The more the show's figures showed that more girls than boys were watching, the more advertisers went "Well then why the fuck are we spending money to advertise to NOT our target demo?"

Also, even as far back as the '80s incarnation of Superfriends, superhero cartoons and action cartoons in general have relied on toy sales to justify the expensive cost of animating elaborate comic book designs in complex action. And even then, some shows just had less of those profits funneled into animation budget - ToyBiz's X-Men figures were hot shit for a minute in the 90s, then MMPR came out and suddenly KayBee Toys were backed up with Marvel figures they wouldn't be able to sell before they went out of business years later. And X-Men's animation was crappy and got full-on shitty by season 3. Whereas YJ looks gorgeous, and absolutely no one but the most die-hard 0.00001% of Weisman fans bought the few toys they made.
>>
>>81886097
1/10 bait, almost got me to reply
>>
>>81886232
I guess that kind of makes sense it's not overly effective advertising something only half your audience wants
Still pretty sad though
>>
>>81885430
CN canceled it. Netflix picked it up and may make 3rd season.
>>
>>81886232
The other part of that is the overall lack of toys. They had a crappy Aqualad and Robin, and I think Superboy, and that was it. No MM or Artemis at all. And when it came to clothing, it was all boys clothes with the male leads on them.
So while a lot of girls got interested in the show, there was barely anything for them to buy that they wanted, or could even fit properly. Now, the obvious solution would be to make merch for both genders, and have toys that include the full team, but they opted to bury their heads in the sand and pretend it's still the 1960s
>>
>>81886119
Not one I've ever seen at least.
>>
>>81886032
Yes, demographics are a major influence on whether a show is canned or not. Remember that a network makes most of its money off of advertising.

Now, think about it. If you were a company that wanted to advertise something primarily for kids, mostly boys at that, would you buy advertising space next to a show primarily watched by us?
>>
It was a combo of a few things. Other anons have mentioned most of them.

Part of it is just the general decline of action/adventure cartoons.

Korra and Young Justice were the last big dying breaths of the genre.
>>
>>81886119
Surely they must have even focusing on boys merchandise that's such a no brainier they must have done it.right... Right
>>
>>81885430
Another case of stuido executives not knowing how to monetize a show that captures the interest of both genders and all ages.

So they give up, produce and sell basically no merchandise at all, and then cite the show's high production costs and lack of financial payoff as the reason for cancellation.
>>
>>81886319
Although thinking about it further the increased female audience dident decrease the male audience so we are right back round to executives been fucking retarded.
Did they think the female audience was abandoning other shows for them because although it would be stupid it's the only possible explanation I could think of.

Oh wait I just worked it out ads cost more the larger the audience don't they your still paying for those females your not selling to.
>>
>>81886449
That's funny because the exact same happened with Avatar. The made an amazing show that everybody watched but they never bothered making any Katara or Azula toys so not everybody bought. To err once is only human. To err twice is retarded.
>>
>>81886660
>To err once is only human. To err twice is industry standard practice.
>>
>>81886553
Also this. There are a few general reasons why action/adventure cartoons are dying out:

>Animation. Drawing fight scenes is expensive. Meanwhile, comedy series could be animated in Flash and still do well, because the focus is on the jokes.
>Replayability. Action cartoons are steeped in continuity, and as such must be watched in a certain order. A new viewer whose first experience with Young Justice is episode 16 will be completely out of the loop, while a comedy series viewer can start watching at any point.
>Movies. With the Marvel Cinematic Universe making loadsamoney, most companies believe it would be better to focus on films, which generate a lot of hype, than on a weekly TV series that some people will drop. Even Marvel half-asses their cartoon series nowadays.
>>
>>81885430
Cancelled because it didn't sell toys and because Cartoon Network resents DC.
>>
>>81885621
>>81886119
I don't get why Hello, Megan was/is so hated here. It was obvious that this wasn't a serious catchphrase along with her baking cookies and wanting to be a cheerleader.

The reveal that it was stolen from an old sitcom was one of the best written parts of S1 for me. Along with further developments in her story such as being a white martian and thus wanting to fit in at all costs. It even made sense that once she was accepted by her peers, she became someone who started abusing their powers in S2 since she no longer feared isolation.
>>
>>81886683
So what's Japan's secret in pumping them out continually?
>>
>>81886800
paying literally everyone working on them slave wages
>>
>>81886751
Because at the time, we all thought it was some crazy Weisman catchphrase.

Let's be honest. He does have some faults.
>>
>>81886800
In half animation exported to Korea, half terrible working conditions and pay for the artists and animators anywhere under project leads.

The production of any kind of escapism, especially animation is widely looked down upon by Japanese society, so they can get away with treating their employees like garbage because in the eyes of the state, they're employing the dregs of society anyway.
>>
>>81886814
This.

Japanese Animators are paid peanuts, and make the least money out of everyone involved in the production.
>>
>>81886751
That she's an Earth weeb that confuses a catchphrase from the 60's for normal teen behaviour just makes her more adorable.
>>
>>81885904
>No merch was being sold (Because the network wasn't even trying to make any)

You're mixing it up with GL and Beware. YJ had toys but they sold like shit.
>>
>>81886814
>>81886862
>>81886887
So we'll go back to kicking ass once we teach Mexicans how to draw.

Making America great again.
>>
>>81886800
They advertise the manga.
>>
>>81885853
>>81887058
A Young Justice Manga!
>>
>>81886683
Marvel always half-assed their cartoons. X-men is the sole exception.
>>
>>81886751
Early on it was a little grating, but they started teasing that she was ripping it off from a show later. People watching the first episodes didn't know that, though.

>>81886800
They work their animators like slaves.
>>
>>81887538
Even Spectacular? Or that doesn't count?
>>
>>81885439
>>81885445
I want this meme to end. Have you guys ever considered that the reason it got cancelled is because it just didn't get enough viewers due to how garbage it was? The time skip is what killed it. The melodrama is what killed it. The bad writing is what killed it.

You just have shit taste, my friends.
>>
>>81887966
Jeez, I totally forgot about Spectacular. Yeah, it's pretty great. Spiderman was alright too.

>>81888029
>Have you guys ever considered that the reason it got cancelled is because it just didn't get enough viewers due to how garbage it was?

Considering it was the highest rated show on CN at the time... No, we hadn't considered that, mister Marveldrone.
>>
File: theprod.gif (3 MB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
theprod.gif
3 MB, 320x239
>>81888132
>mister Marveldrone
Not that Anon, but knock it off with company wars.
And on top of that, people can not like YJ, because everybody has opinions.
>>
>>81886449
>The other part of that is the overall lack of toys. They had a crappy Aqualad and Robin, and I think Superboy, and that was it. No MM or Artemis at all.
I know for a FACT I saw Ms. Martian and Artemis action figures in YJ multipacks... albeit on Big Lots shelves years after the show ended, but still.
>>
Toys didn't sell.
>>
>>81888229
>Big Lots shelves years after the show ended

Holy shit I just saw some Green Lantern boardgames there too. I'm like hey what the hell who marketed (or didn't) this stuff.
>>
>>81886449

They had toys, but they were massively overpriced and didn't come with accessories. Mattel is the most incompetent toy company on the planet and they're the reason GLTAS, YJ, and Sym-Bionic Titan got cancelled.
>>
>>81886640
>Oh wait I just worked it out ads cost more the larger the audience don't they your still paying for those females your not selling to.
Exactly. It's a game of brinkmanship between advertisers and network people - "Oh, this show brought in so many million viewers, so our rates for advertising on it is X dollars." "Aha, but only a certain percentage of that audience is the demographic we want, so our counter-offer is Y dollars." And so on and so forth, with the show caught in the middle and constantly leaking money, with new episodes moved from month to month in an insane attempt to appease everyone by only rerunning those shows that "they" think will draw in the audience they want.
>>
>>81888364
We had a thread on Mattel a while back, and how they completely mismanaged the DC license and ended up killing Action Cartoons.

Most of it relates to Secret Saturdays being a disaster, and the GL and MoS movies being bad.
>>
>>81888381
>companies still make figures with only 4pts articulation
>expect these to sell
Batman, Superman, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Thundercats, they all got these instant-garbage figures that are still filling out the clearance aisles at some stores. It's sad to watch so much plastic be wasted and know nobody will buy them.
>>
>>81886800
A totally different economy, in a totally different country, with a totally different culture and population density and advertising demographics. You couldn't market moe shit to Amurikans, which is partially why the bottom fell out from the anime importing craze of the oughties, but that shit is guaranteed to move merch like hotcakes to lonely NEETS. Also, EVERYTHING that airs on Japan is weird and different from American TV, except the American adaptations of those Japanese shows, so the focus-testing and executive-boardroom-appealing factors are totally different over there too.
>>
>>81886032
It attracted the tumbler tier demographic of tween romance cancer.

They are known to be very toxic and liberal
>>
>>81888381
They should just start letting Japanese companies handle the toys. I mean now that bandai is actually branching out into America they should take advantage of that.
I mean, who wouldn't want a SRC Megas?
>>
>>81888515

All those are by the same company

>It's sad to watch so much plastic be wasted and know nobody will buy them.

fun fact: most of those toys, if they don't sell, are taken out back and tossed in the dumpster because it's more expensive for stores to try and send them back to the retailer.

Mattel makes literal, actual garbage.
>>
>>81888029
I agree
This show is not aging well unlike Justice league
>>
>>81888580
Mattel's toys are so shitty they manage to make hasbro's shit look good.
>>
>>81888580
I see a lot of those sort of toys show up at dollar stores and Big Lots, which makes me think they're dumped there as a last stop on the way to the bin. Do big stores get a writeoff or something doing it that way, or do the dollar stores just buy that trash by the pound?
>>
>>81888442
I only knew Secret Saturdays existed because the toy line warmed pegs at my local Wal-Mart for over a year. It took up like a fifth of the action figure aisle, too.
>>
>>81888545
>I mean, who wouldn't want a SRC Megas?

It would be nice, but the thing is that homegrown Jap toys for kids tend to be around the same quality as we get here. Stuff like SRCs are expensive collectors toys, like Hot Toys or McFarlane stuff is here.

Hasbro does alright in the US
>>
File: new teen titans animated.jpg (1 MB, 3000x3165) Image search: [Google]
new teen titans animated.jpg
1 MB, 3000x3165
>>81885430
It was waaaaaaaaaay too expensive.

Wait for all the plot points to be hastily resolved in 70-80 minutes via the upcoming Young Justice vs. Teen Titans crossover movie.
>>
>>81888132
>it was the highest rated show on CN at the time
Prove it.
>>
>>81888642
those secret saturdays toys are the reason Sym-Bionic Titan was cancelled. No retailer would buy toys based on it because SS toys sold so poorly.

>>81888622
Closeout stores buy leftover stock from the manufacturer at a discount, so what you see at Big Lots is the stuff that was still in the warehouse when the big stores stopped buying them.
>>
>>81888673
Why must you turn this board into a house of LIES?
>>
>>81888718
>so what you see at Big Lots is the stuff that was still in the warehouse when the big stores stopped buying them.
Makes sense, I swear a big lots near me still has Thundercats, MoS and Halo shit cluttering their shelves. I've been seeing Kreo stuff here and there too which bums me out, I was collecting their transformer minifigs but evidently they shat the bed and are done with those now?
>>
>>81885449
I can see why. The romance drama was IMO the weakest part of the series but I guess it brought girls in?
>>
>>81888381
>Don't even bother to have Artemis teamed up with the proper hero.

Goddamn it Mattel, at least try to show the normies some relative consistency!
>>
File: more fucking bumblefuck.jpg (117 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
more fucking bumblefuck.jpg
117 KB, 1280x849
>>81888884
>toy-collecting adult fans have existed for years
>toy companies still hire uncaring photographers to butcher their promo pics
I've never understood this, they could probably find dedicated people who'd do it for free.
>>
>>81888825
Yeah, the only thing that was selling in the US was the Kre-O blindbags, so stores terminated all orders of ALL Kre-O products.

>>81889000
Hasbro is the absolute fucking worst about this, and they have been for years.

What happens with big companies like this is that they'll have long contracts with photo companies that either bid for the contract and offered to take the least money (meaning that they're probably a cut-rate company) or they're a company that got the contract on nepotism.

The people who hold the purse strings don't give a fuck because they're getting photos even if they aren't TECHNICALLY correct, so those contracts just get renewed because they're getting a good deal.
>>
>>81886232
>tfw imagine YJ dolls
>Mh tier articulation, double jointed maybe even a chest joint for all those action poses
>Rooteded hair since their hair wasn't stupid anime
>All the clothes could have been one piece because super heroes
>Fucking Mattel comes in
>low budget shitty Webtoon
>dumb writing, out of place Characaters
>releases d c super hero dolls and action figures
>sell like godanm hot cakes
>only the black girl is on any shelves and even then it's only like two or three of them left.
>little girls don't like super heroes. Little girls don't buy things.

I am considerably upset.
>>
>>81885430
Maybe the audience was merely whelmed.
>>
>>81888674
The episode that they removed from airing also hit the top ten itunes episode purcahse for that week. Does someone have the screencap for that?
>>
File: Teen_titans.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Teen_titans.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>81885430
>>
>>81888604
>Justice League

Are you joking? I'm rewatching it and two seasons worth of two-parter monster of the week is battering my brain. Yeah, YJ's teenage melodrama could get pretty bad but at least it managed shittons character development in two seasons
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.