[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright boys, so I want to get into reading comics. Where do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Action_Comics_1.jpg (669 KB, 1396x2048) Image search: [Google]
Action_Comics_1.jpg
669 KB, 1396x2048
Alright boys, so I want to get into reading comics. Where do I start? Im fine with either DC or Marvel, and really just want a good entry point into comics in general. Also a place to view them for free.
>>
File: large_JODELLE-44.jpg (40 KB, 358x234) Image search: [Google]
large_JODELLE-44.jpg
40 KB, 358x234
what about non DC or Marvel?
>>
>>81876168
Detective Comics #1
Action Comics #1
Good luck!
>>
So, you're only interested in superheroes?
>>
>Im fine with either DC or Marvel
Tell us that you want to get into "superheroes" and we'll be happy to help you out.

Don't tell us that you want to get into "comics" because, clearly, you don't.
>>
Read Superman first and foremost. A quick google search:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/top-25-superman-stories

http://comicsverse.com/essential-superman-reading-list-for-new-readers/

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/superman/4005-1807/guide/

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Recommended_Reading
>>
>all these meanies

But they're also not entirely wrong. Superheroes are just one aspect to comics -- there's a lot more to them.

Honest to goodness, there isn't a perfect entry to comics. You just have to start somewhere, new or old, and keep reading. If you like it, try to find things similar to it; if you don't go somewhere radically different.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Entertainment-Essentials-Catalog-2016/digital-comic/332255
^ is a great (free) book from DC, about its many OGNs (original graphic novels, or straight-to-print graphic novels) and its many collected trades (trade paperback graphic novels, made up of collected monthly comics, or "floppies").

As some people might say (and as I myself kinda wish), if you REALLY want to enjoy the best stuff, it's best to get yourself used to the utter crap that is Marvel/DC. Read a couple of issues of whatever recent runs seem interesting: you might like them, you might hate them.

Then go to one of the OGNs or miniseries from the above link. The difference in quality will usually be pretty massive.

From then (or before then), you can peruse the stuff here:
http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/
>>
Jump in at new52 for DC
2011 stuff to now

Idk much bout Marvel, possibly around Civil War
Or just Ultimate Universe around the beginnings
>>
>>81876168
Best thing to do is just find a character you like and look up their recommended issues and volumes.

I guess absolute beginner to comics I'd probably recommend something like Batman Year One.
>>
Sandman
>>
>>81876265
Vertigo, Image and Dark Horse all have good stuff. Current series that a lot of people (I'm sure people here consider it tumblr) is Saga.
>>
>>81879728
>Best thing to do is just find a character you like and look up their recommended issues and volumes.
This
There's nothing more to do than looking at characters, whether from threads on here, on the front if an issue available at your local comic shop, fan art, etc.
Once you find the character/characters you like you may want to look into recommended reading from their respective series.
Then you may find interest in the writers involved and what other works they've done, maybe you enjoy the artist of a particular issue and want to look at more of his art by seeing what other series they've done, maybe even see what other comics a publisher that you're familiar with has released.
Just explore really, there's various story time threads on /co/ and finding scans of a particular issue can be as easy as searching "_______ comic scans/read free"
>>
>>81879864
getting warmer
>>
viewcomic.com is great when they haven't run out of money for the month
>>
>>81876168
Check out some recent storytimes and sample some shit.

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely Pt 1
>>81859218
>WE3 (Verigo)
>JLA: Earth 2 (DC)
>Pax Americana (DC)
>>81859218

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely Pt 2
>>81873353
>Flex Mentallo (Vertigo)
>New X-Men #114 - #116, #120 (Marvel)
>>81873353

Stray Bullets (El Capitan / Image)
>>81862011

Garth Ennis' Punisher (Marvel)
>>81878191

Assorted Superman, Action Comcis, Legion of Super Heroes
>>81869884
>>
>>81879071
How is New 52 Aquaman?
>>
You ought to specify. We can help with both getting into comics as a medium or superheroes, Those're two big separate questions.
>>
>>81883186
Pretty good. Johns run is obviously the best part
>>
>New 52
- Aquaman
- Wonder Woman
- Animal Man
- Swamp Thing

Kingdom Come
Red Son
All Star

>Marvel (it's the only ones i read, not a huge Marvel reader)
Marvels by Alan Moore
Supreme #41 - 68

The Watchmen
>>
>>81876168
>Also a place to view them for free
It's called a library. Try anything that looks interesting.
>>
>>81876168
Lol, what a noob
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.