[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Peter never gets shit for legitimately being every definition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
How come Peter never gets shit for legitimately being every definition of a mary sue?

>most important character of civil war
>both writer and reader self-insert
>despite having been a nerd, scores a girlfriend who is a supermodel
>has a power that basically amounts to "cant die" unless he purposefully ignores it
>infallible morals
>considered by Cable to be the "greatest hero" of all time
>>
>>81870509
>still salty
>>
Because he's a man.
>>
nobody hates him
>>
>>81870509
He can't be a gary stu because he is constantly shit on.
>>
>>81870509
That's not how his spider-sense works. Also he's not a mary-sue because he's deeply flawed. His personal sense of guilt routinely destroys his life again and again. Because of that he's incapable of maintaining long-term relationships or careers.
>>
>>81870509
but that really happens, all the time
>>
>>81870758
at least most of those nerds are rich
>>
Spider-Man's life is suffering. Everything he does bites him in the ass one way or another, specially after all the attention he got in Civil War.

But okay, since he fucks a hot chick every once in awhile he's a mary sue.
>>
>"most important character of civil war"
So any character that is the most important in any run counts as a Mary sue?

Because he used to be one, bitches like intelligence, and Pete is a charming, jacked dude.

>has a power that basically amounts to "cant die" unless he purposefully ignores it
Spider-sense isn't that strong, and you'd know it if you read even one comic anon.

>infallible morals
Sold his marriage to the devil.

Is this bait? Did I just get baited?
>>
>>81870509
Because you're too dumb to know what a mary sue actually is
>>
>>81870713
So is Batman.
>>
>>81870509
Because he is part of the foundation of the Marvel Universe. One of the trademarks of a Mary Sue is that she isn't part of the "original" story. This is also why Luke and Anakin aren't Gary Stus but Rey is Mary Sue
>>
>>81870509
>infallible morals
This is so easy to refute and you all need to do is know his origin.
>>
>>81870952
Not in-universe, unless Johns is writing it.
>>
>>81871065
Has there ever been a point after his origin when this was the case though? Deal with the devil notwithstanding, of course.
>>
File: tldrusahistory.jpg (635 KB, 1241x629) Image search: [Google]
tldrusahistory.jpg
635 KB, 1241x629
>>81870509
>>most important character of civil war
That would be Tony. Peter was the most interesting

>both writer and reader self-insert
There's a difference between being a self-insert and a marketable everyman

You got me there. Bitches of all stripes love pete.

>infallible morals
He fucks up all the time. Cap has "infallible" morals. Even during pic related

sauce? I want to rub in my cable-fanboy-friend's stupid face
>>
>>81870777

Women find nerds attractive enough these days in particular.

Women find passion about something - just about anything- attractive if you have the charisma and hygiene to back it up.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
If I may quote a film -

"Look, you're probably going to be a very successful computer person.
but you're gonna go through life thinking that girls don't like you, because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that, that won't be true. It would be because you're an asshole.
>>
>>81870509
Spidey's has been an extremely popular character for nearly 60 years. I think Civil War comics was before the Ironman movie gave him a tremendous bump in popularity
Web-slinging and crime-fighting give Peter an amazing body. He's good looking and smart, why should he be saddled with a landwhale?
Spider-sense is wildly inconsistent. Plot armour, now that's what keeps him alive against his insane rogue's gallery
>infallible morals
Pete's not a hero because he's a paragon, he's a hero despite his many flaws
So? Doctor Doom considers Doctor Doom to be the greatest hero of all time
>>
>>81871171
Charisma is far more important than passion.
>>
>>81870997
>Luke
not to mention the girl he had a thing for got with another dude, and she turned out to be his sister, anyway
>>
>>81871140
Peter has rage and depression issues
He also dumped the Venom Symbiote for no reason other than he found it icky
>>
>>81870509

Parker luck!
>>
>>81871147
>>considered by Cable to be the "greatest hero" of all time
>sauce? I want to rub in my cable-fanboy-friend's stupid face

It was in the lead-in to Avengers Vs. X-Men, although it was in the future tense.
Funny thing about being from the future, you know this shit.
>>
>>81871078
His allies constantly give him shit for never telling them anything, doing stuff they don't have the stomach to do, and generally being a paranoid asshole. A few stories end with him saving the day but hated by others for some reason or another. People who consider him a friend tolerate the actions he takes but the average person would tell him to fuck off after they've been with him for more than a day and are no longer starstruck.
>>
>>81871237

Well yeah.
But liking things and enjoying things instead of bitching and moaning about how much everything sucks is certainly more attractive wouldn't you say?

I used to be an overweight NEET libertarian MRA. Ive been in that mindset.

I got out of it when I realized that my life amounted to a tempertantrum that the world didn't work exactly as I expected it to.

I wasn't a wise nobel crusader straining against the darkness. I was an angry self centered manchild.
>>
>>81871267
>eter has rage and depression issues
I'll admit I misread OP, thought he wrote infallible morales, not just plain infallible in all parts of life.
>>
>>81871225
>The greatest hero of all time considers Doctor Doom to be the greatest hero of all time
I see nothing wrong here
>>
>>81870509
>I have not read Civil War and my post is not worth reading
>>
>>81871434
How moral is "I won't punch your face through your skull because I would feel guilty about it later"?
>>
spidey was the big traitor of the civil war, that's not glowing halo morality, He hides behind his mask to let out all the nerd rage and passive aggressive shit he's too awkward to pull off as peter. he even thinks about letting the punisher loose on some of his villains before he goes back to his mantra. spider sense only gives him a heads up to danger to find a way out if there is one, not to magically escape anything.
>>
>>81871147
Peter hasn't been an everyman for a long time. He isn't poor anymore, which is one of the main aspects that got readers' attention, because it's a problem many people suffer from. Peter is at least above average in terms of looks, has a genius IQ that's complete nonsense, having inventions to his name that real-life mega corporations couldn't replicate, and is athletic, while having a hot girlfriend and tons of other women wanting him.
>>
>>81871596
>while having a hot girlfriend
nuh uh
>>
>>81871596
Most of the things you listened have been true for 40+ years
Arguably the only recent development is that hes rich now
>>
File: nerdy.jpg (112 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
nerdy.jpg
112 KB, 500x441
>>81871171
>Women find nerds attractive enough these days in particular.
>>
>>81870509
He's what TV Tropes calls "Hollywood Dateless," i.e. someone who is supposed to be a loser but, because he's in a long running fantasy story, has actually had more good luck than most people.

It's like how on sitcoms, a character like George Costanza is supposed to be an everyman loser but if you add up all the beautiful women he's dated and all the great jobs he's had, he's actually had a great life.
>>
File: 1312269308574.jpg (50 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
1312269308574.jpg
50 KB, 600x392
>>81870509
Because bitches love Spiderman.
>>
>>81870670
He stinks and I don't like him.
>>
>>81870509
WHAT
>>
>>81872748
that's sort of their point. nobody cares if you like nerd shit. anymore if they ever did. they just don't like ugly spergs. people liking attractive people that also fulfill a niche fetish isn't new. when people like nerd chick's they usually means some hot chick in glasses not 30 pound overweight fujoshi who can't do her own make up and wears anime shirts
>>
>>81870509
Because he constantly fails.
>>
>>81872748
>>81874746
There's a huge difference between having "nerdy" interests and being a nerd.
A lot of black people love Naruto and Dragon Ball Z, but they don't act pretentious and socially awkward.
>>
>>81870509

>im a woman:the post
>>
>>81871324
Funny thing about AvX: it, and all its tie-ins, were shit. Cable considers Cap the greatest hero of all time. Hell, he's Cap in the future at one point.
>>
File: AmazingSpider-Man527-11.jpg (344 KB, 1020x1600) Image search: [Google]
AmazingSpider-Man527-11.jpg
344 KB, 1020x1600
>>81874530
in the JMS Spider-Man run, Morlun kills Peter.

While dead, Peter gets visited by his spirit animal (named The Other) that tells him to stop being such a little bitch, and that if he stop keeping his spider-ness at arms length, it'll revive him. Zombie Peter crawled out of his corpse, killed Morlun, then spun a cocoon from which he emerged fully reformed and his his powers enhanced.

This happened again post-OMD, which gave him organic webs and a 'stinger' on each wrist.
These got ignored by most writers.

Later, in the Scarlet Spider solo book, it got revealed that at some vague point after his second revival, Peter rejected The Other, so it found and revived Kaine to be its avatar instead. Meaning now Kaine can just die and come back from the dead like Captain Scarlet and Peter can't.
>>
>>81875625
not canon
>>
>>81871596
Wait what Spiderman has money now when did this happen
Admitidly I don't read a whole lot of marvel but I remember in avengers world he's poor enough he agrees to join the team because they have money
>>
>>81870509
he gets grills because he shredded as shi and also his ass
>>
>>81875625
Whhhhhhhhy
>>
>>81870509
Of course women find him attractive he fights crime all that constant exercise leaves him fit as fuck
>>
>>81875625

The JMS run begins with Ezekiel's introduction and ends with his death.
>>
File: domhnall-gleeson.jpg (264 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
domhnall-gleeson.jpg
264 KB, 2560x1536
>>81870509
I hadn't noticed he looks a lot like Domhall Gleeson in that panel.
>>
>>81871171
>>81875231
>>>>/r9k/
>>
>>81870509

Say it with me: HIS LIFE IS A WRECK!!!
>>
>>81870509
Or how nobody gives him shit for backhanding the shit out of his pregnant wife.
>>
>>81875915
buy it's true. How is saying women like attractive men /r9k/?
>>
File: 1365430695061.png (75 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1365430695061.png
75 KB, 184x184
>Read one of the latest issues of Spider-Man called Amazing Grace after dropping comics for over 5 years
>Peter is not only sceptical of God, but also miracles and the supernatural in general, even mocking Hank for not agreeing with his non-religious views
>Spider-man was a lapse Protestant in previous issues, and even prayed occasionally.
>Parker has ties to Loki, the brother of Thor, and Loki even owes him one.
>Peter was the avatar of a totemic spider-god
>God, himself, even had a conversation with him at one point.
>Peter is literally a witness to magic and the supernatural. He even died once. Heck, he's alternative universe counter part had glimpse of heaven.
I can't take this. This is literally retarded.
>
>>
>>81870509
Because he's part of his original property, mary sue is a fan fiction term, also everyone thinks he's annoying in universe and he has a shit life
>>
>>81870509
Bad shit happens to Peter all the time, he's unable to protect the ones he cares about himself, and needs to become Spider-man to keep people safe. He has to keep this powerful part of him a secret from the rest of the world, who thinks he's just 'Puny Parker'.
>>
>>81870509

He's a young white male. His fans are self-inserters. You do the math.
>>
File: moneybags.jpg (173 KB, 878x683) Image search: [Google]
moneybags.jpg
173 KB, 878x683
>>81870509
Pete wasn't the most important character in civil war though? He was the audience insert, you were supposed to agree with him which is why he switches sides. At the beginning of the story you're supposed to sorta agree with one side and then slowly come to realise the other side is right, they do this to the reader by leading them through the ideologies and how they affect one specific character the audience is supposed to relate to, which is pete. Since pete is predominantly the most popular and down to earth marvel hero.

It's the fact that pete is so shit upon by life (can't pay rent, is trying to do too many things at once, wants to do the right thing but that usually means sacrificing his own happiness) that makes him so relocatable and the opposite of a mary sue. The story in pic related is a prime example, even when money is literally sticking to pete he gives it to someone who needs it more than he does.Can you say you'd do the same? then he's not a mary sue.

Also no hero can really die we know if they sell they'll be kept around so they just beat the everloving shit out of him.

Also pete and MJ haven't been a couple in a decade, it's time to let the 'supermodel girlfriend' go anon.
>>
>>81876124
She had it coming. Lucky he didn't shoot a web up her snizzatch and yank that little bastard out of her.
Give the interfering hag a thwipbortion.
>>
>>81876280
Spider-man is written by countless writers who rarely, if ever, read the previous issues that addresses certain aspects of his character. This literally happens everywhere in comics.

For example, Reed Richards had a private conversation with his son and admitted that, although he doesn't follow any faith, he believes in God and knows Doom's magic is for real.

He, and the rest of the FF, personally visited heaven and had met God personally. They even know about Doom's afterlife machine and no one questions the validity of it, not even Reed.

Yet, in the Age of Ultron tie-in for Fantastic Four, Mr. Fantastic states: I am a man of science. There is no God. There is no Heaven. There is no Hell.

Marvel should personally head out summary character sheets to writers that outline the specific arcs and profiles so these direct contradictory scenarios do not happen.
>>
>>81871405
>I used to be an overweight NEET libertarian MRA
yea sure you were
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.