[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it hold up? I want to know more about the new gods.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (367 KB, 618x921) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
367 KB, 618x921
Does it hold up?

I want to know more about the new gods.
>>
>>81854925
Jack Kirby's art is way too cartoony for me, so it was really hard to get into.
>>
>>81854939
This, art in general is hard to enjoy when its exaggerated.
>>
>Does it hold up?
It's one of the best things Kirby ever did. It's a little odd and dated at times (looking at you, Jimmy Olsen) but overall it's something you should definitely read.
>>
>>81854962
I would suggest just reading it though. The art is atrocious.
>>
>>81854962
If I enjoy Final Crisis, will this be veryrelevant? Or just tangential?
>>
>>81854939
>>81854961
>>81854978
Why are you trying to derail the thread?
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>81854939
>>81854961
>>81854978
>>
>>81854925

If you already kind of read older comics from that era, then yes.

I bought the first volume of the Fourth World Omnibus and I was pleasantly surprised by how readable it was. Kirby was interested in unusual storytelling techniques (unusual for mainstream comics of that era, that is) and it shows.

Story is top-notch and captures the qualities of myth very well. On the other hand, you have thought balloons spelling a few too many things out for you. And you'd have to decide if the cornyness is something you like.

tl;dr it's good if you're able to get yourself in the mood for it
>>
>>81855002
>If I enjoy Final Crisis
There is no hope for you. Final Crisis is all about fellating Darkseid while shitting on every other New God. Just stick to Wikipedia instead.
>>
>>81855002

The feeling you get from Darkseid in Final Crisis is the same menacing feeling you have when you read the Fourth World stuff.

Athmospherically, it's does the same shit to me. There's probably more filler in the old stuff though.
>>
I loved it
>>
>>81855064
>Kirby was interested in unusual storytelling techniques
u wot m8

Kirby wrote the book for how to properly tell a story using sequential images

everyone was coping him

>On the other hand, you have thought balloons spelling a few too many things out for you.
comics were actually for kids back then they had to spell things out for the reader
>>
>>81854962
It's been a while since I read it (plus I still need to finish it) but I seem to recall the Jimmy Olsen stuff picking up after the first volume.

The Orion and Forever People stuff is consistently very compelling. The Mr Miracle stuff is very formulaic but still fun.
>>
>>81854962
how/where?
>>
>>81855020
>>81855021
>giving an opinion is shitposting
>>
>>81854925

I'm reading thru it right now, on #4

It's great. The language is very dramatic, but the pace is slow. I can see why they've lasted in the dcu
>>
>>81855002
Not very. Morrison pretty much takes a shit all over Kirby's Fourth World stuff for his own bullshittery and fudges everything from the concepts to the characterizations.
>>
>>81855074
wow, so wrong
>>
>>81857519
when its a shitty opinion yeah it is
>>
>>81857661
true but morrison hasn't been the worst writer to screw up kirby's ideas
>>
>>81854925
the mister miracle stuff is great. the rest I had a hard time getting through
>>
>>81856967
Wally Wood and the EC game were far more influential in that regard, especially since entire scope surpassed just superhero/sci-if comics
>>
>>81857661
Him having Darksied as a giant hunk of pure evil without honor sort of works if you put Hunger Dogs into continuity with it. He sold out his honor to use Micro Mike to kill New Genesis. It also explains why New Genesis is "dead" during Final Crisis.

I liked what he did with Shiloh as the new Miracle Man. The Seven Soldiers bit was my favorite Scott Free Story and it doesn't even involve him, but instead his legacy. Remember that Scott Free himself wasn't the first "Miracle Man". If I remember my comics right he got

So no, I don't think Morrison shits on the Fourth World. I think he did the best thing for it by placing it "outside" the multiverse in a perpetual dream-time. Now writers can use the characters and themes without worrying over steeping on anyones continuity toes.

I fucking hated the new Forever People though. I'm never going to get the actual Forever People and Infinity Man, am I?
>>
>>81857179
Mr. Miracle really peters out after Scott gets back from Apocalips with the Female Furies. I was surprised they jumped ship with him, I'm so used to seeing them always as bad guys.

Anyone else miss Scott living with a unit of deadly warrior women?

Orion was based. I loved how he kept having to struggle with his heritage. That scene where he lets that enemy Mother Box die was awesomely brutal.

>>81855064
>>81854925
How much do you like William Blake and Beat Poetry honestly measures how much you're going to get out of Kirby's work in general.
>>
The stories aren't bad, but I was expecting science fantasy space shit that takes place on New Genesis and Apokalips. It's mostly these New Gods hanging out on Earth with dumb humans. Like, Orion has a gang of normal people he rescued from Apokalips and they go after fucking mobsters. MOBSTERS. Normal fucking mobsters. On top of that's it's mostly villain-of-the-week stuff with a different Darkseid henchman (the green bug guy or Dr. Bedlam or whoever) coming to Earth to fuck with the heroes.

Still enjoyable overall, tho.
>>
If you're too much of a pleb to appreciate classic comic storytelling then don't bother reading it
>>
>>81854925
orion is underrated
>>
>>81859392
EC comics were like the HBO of its day in the comic industry

but they all still owe a huge debt of gratitude to Kirby, while never as huge as Superman his Captain America book was admired by all even the industry for its craft employed by Simon and Kirby then of course the Fantastic Four was a milestone

while Kirby loved all other artists and was influenced by their works (he never hated on anyone's product) he seems to be influenced the most by Ditko, those two were trading around ideas (both had a hand in drawing Spider-Man's first costume and Kirby made Thor blonde after a Ditko story and there's much more)

Kirby perfected the comic page, he's the King after all

no artist could build a story the way Kirby did, the guy could sit in front of a blank page and start from the left corner and finish at the bottom corner without erasing or even know what he'll draw… no joke that guy was on another plane of existence a true storyteller of myth and fantasy

the King was there in the Golden Age, the Silver Age and the Bronze Age putting out a high volume of work

if disagree, he'll punch you right in the mouth… true story the guy never backed down from a fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t7TnnMFl5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYyBanHFUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPsg9Kz6LQ
>>
Like many old comics the prose is pretty bad
>>
>>81854939
>>81854961
> this shit taste
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.