[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommend a comic to a guy that has only read Stray Bullets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: stray_bullets_41_cover.jpg (178 KB, 1047x1572) Image search: [Google]
stray_bullets_41_cover.jpg
178 KB, 1047x1572
Recommend a comic to a guy that has only read Stray Bullets
>>
File: we_re_still_dead.jpg (612 KB, 1024x1622) Image search: [Google]
we_re_still_dead.jpg
612 KB, 1024x1622
Punisher MAX
>>
>>81841048
context?
>>
>>81841075
Frank is haunted by his dead family. Not like ghosts, but their memories. He can kill as many criminals as he wants, it still won't bring them back
>>
Recommend stray bullets to me, I like that art style
Mostly I'm just asking what the plot is because I've never heard of it
>>
100 Bullets
Scalped
Criminal
Stumptown
>>
File: Juice Squeezers vol 1.jpg (251 KB, 600x902) Image search: [Google]
Juice Squeezers vol 1.jpg
251 KB, 600x902
>>81840958
Awesome taste, man. Some recs:

- Juice Squeezers (it's David Lapham trying his hand at an all-ages comic. If I had to describe it, it would be "Heinlein's Starship Troopers-meets-The Goonies)
- Criminal (by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips)
- Ms. Tree (by Max Allan Collins and Terry Beatty)
- Black Lagoon by Rei Hiroe
- 100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
- The Fade Out (by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips)
- Luna Park (by Kevin Baker and Danijel Zezelj)
- Torpedo (by Enrique Sanchez Abuli and Jordi Bernet)
- Kinski by Gabriel Hardman
- Richard Stark's Parker (by Darwyn Cooke)
- Damned (by Steven Grant and Mike Zeck)
- Old Boy (by Garon Tsuchiya and Nobuaki Minegishi)
- Blacksad (by Juan Díaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido)
- Gunsmith Cats (by Kenichi Sonoda)
- Road to Perdition by Max Allan Collins and Richard Piers Rayner
- Blue Estate (by Viktor Kalvachev and friends)
- Whiteout by Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber
>>
>>81841695
>Recommend stray bullets to me, I like that art style
>Mostly I'm just asking what the plot is because I've never heard of it

From

http://thegeeksverse.com/2014/03/13/leaving-proof-216-one-and-donemerits-of-standalone-issues/

>Here’s the concept of Stray Bullets‘ format in a nutshell: It’s an ongoing crime comic, designed to be the ultimate new reader-friendly title. Each 32-page issue is a standalone story with a discrete beginning, climax, and conclusion, but it’s also designed to fit in as part of a larger narrative that stretches from the 1970s all the way to the 1990s. On top of that, the stories aren’t told sequentially—the events portrayed in issue #1 occurred some twenty years after the events portrayed in issue #2, for example—although Lapham starts each issue with the date indicating when the particular issue’s events happened. A reader so inclined can read all the stories in the linear chronological order based on those dates. The genius of how Lapham has constructed the series is that a new reader can jump into Stray Bullets with a random issue and he or she won’t need to be familiar with any prior issues to extract enjoyment from it as a standalone story. Another consequence of this approach is that the drawbacks of having gaps in any Stray Bullets collection are minimized, since the stories are intended to be self-contained and coherent even when the individual issues are read out of order based on the issue numbering.
>>
>>81842448
How it ends up working out is that reading Stray Bullets is like putting together the pieces of a large jigsaw puzzle. Like a jigsaw puzzle, it doesn't really matter where you start putting pieces together... you can start from the middle and work your way to the corners, you can start from the left and work your way to the right, you can complete disparate sections and link them together later, etc. Eventually, you'll get a sense of "the big picture" when you've read enough issues, even if you read them out of order or there are gaps in your reading.

As to what the big picture is, at the risk of pretentious, I'd describe Stray Bullets as a portrait of late 20th century America, as filtered through the lens of crime and the collapse of the family.
>>
>>81841048
Fury MAX and Fury: My War Gone By are similar and are also written by Ennis
>>
>>81840958
Hell of a comic to start with.
Might as well stop there since you won't read anything as good. If you want more crime comics though try The Fade Out and Scalped.
>>
young liars is one of my all time fav comics but i never got into stray bullets
>>
100 Bullets
Transmetropolitan

Have you read Amy Racecar? It's practically a companion series to Stray Bullets.
>>
What can you people tell me about Preacher?
>>
Stray Bullets is really awesome and hard to top in terms of originality.

You might like Love & Rockets, which I'm sure was a HUGE influence for David Lapham.

The comic adaptation of the Parker books are very cool gritty 60's crime stuff.

Chew is awesome crazy fun in a supernatural food/eating based setting.

Jar of Fools by Jason Lutes is a good down to earth drama with a cute little girl and feels.
>>
Dreaming of Utopia

http://www.dreamingofutopia.com/comic/dreaming-of-utopia/
>>
So, what are people's opinions on Sunshine & Roses?
Is an Orson and Beth story really worth being 18 issues, or is it a wonderful exercise in returning to form?

>>81842821
I'd describe Stray Bullets in one sentence as "A Coen Bros. movie without the law enforcement elements", like if they tried to make Blood Simple but in their modern style.
>>
>>81849845
You'll either love it or hate it, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground here.

Grab the recent-ish scans by DCP instead of buying it since DC fucked up the color saturation.
>>
>>81842448
That sounds great. I'm going to pick it up.
>>
>>81840958
Well did you like stray bullets
>>
>>81851797
A less intricate reading is that it is dual coming of age stories placed alongside the rise of a crime lord.
>>
File: WallyWoods.jpg (348 KB, 1052x800) Image search: [Google]
WallyWoods.jpg
348 KB, 1052x800
Basically an indie comics good taste thread, mostly crime edition.

Patrician tier
Just kidding, the /mu/ and /tv/ "obscure = good" wanker attitude is retarded

Brian Michael Bendis and Drew Hayes used to have a smack talking contest in their reader columns back when Brian was still doing crime comics and Drew was still alive.

Drew put Bendis down by calling his early stuff a bad Stray Bullets knockoff.

On that note, "Torso" by Bendis is a pretty decent crime comic, Jinx and Goldfish aren't bad either.
Powers, if you like meta cape crime stuff (but Alan Moores Top Ten does that better).
His decompressed dialogue works best in talky crime settings.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.