[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of cyclops ' development starting from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8
File: tumblr_mbv9r51H6t1qiwlodo1_400.jpg (52 KB, 338x583) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbv9r51H6t1qiwlodo1_400.jpg
52 KB, 338x583
What does /co/ think of cyclops ' development starting from new x men from mutant leader to mutant revolutionary?
>>
Where's the revolution, Scott?
>>
Cyclops is literally the only major Marvel character in the last decade who has genuine character development. This is part of why I like him so much.
>>
>>81838148
requesting essential scott reads
>>
>>81838148
Emma Frost was the best thing to happen to the character in years.

Jean Grey is cancer. She steals the spotlight and sets back Logan's and Scott's characters to jealous rivals fighting over her affection. spoiler alert Scott always wins

>>81838486
Morrison's run.
finally drops that ginger albatross.
>>
>>81838557
New X-Men you mean? I have that but never got around to reading it
>>
>>81838619
the ending kinda sucks and got retconned the second Morrison left but that run is the last great watershed moment in X-men.
>>
>>81838486
Bendis' uncanny is good for Scott alone but drops the ball at the end because there is no revolution.

The utopia era is also good because it shows him as the successor to Xavier and magneto as leader of mutant kind

Wheadons astonishing x men is good, you see cyclops as a leader who will kick ass and take names after having to deal with being the timid leader for so long.

Morrisons new x men is fantastic because it has cyclops coming back from being possessed by apocalypse, which causes him to fundamentally change his worldview and attitude, his relationship with Jean dying.
>>
Cyclops I'd the only charachter to not regress in marvels 21st century run of comics
>>
Editorial is trying so hard to get people to not care about Cyclops and it's backfiring so hard

Fuck everything about all-new X-Men
>>
>>81841748
It's funny how they've been trying to crush the x books since AVX but only stirred up interest by making Cyclops such a radical character thanks to unintended character development
>>
I can't wait for the day when we get Rightclops in a fucking movie. it seems like we'll get the start of that with x men apocalypse
>>
File: Cyclops_phoenix.jpg (112 KB, 438x750) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops_phoenix.jpg
112 KB, 438x750
Find a better fucking costume than this in all of comics, I dare you.
Just kidding, YOU CAN'T

even if they stole it from DC
>>
>>81838148
Badass.
>>
>>81838148
The third best X-Man. Nightcrawler is bess~
>>
The single greatest and most genuine character arc in all of marvel
>>
>>81838148
will marvel ever do a comic of him farting really loud?
>>
>>81838148
I think the X-Men and their whole "we are hated and misunderstood" shtick is dated and pointless. they are hated in a world where The Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man are known and beloved by the public. if there didn't insist on only mutants dealing with mutant problems and actually helped by doing the regular super hero thing maybe people wouldn't hate them so much.
>>
>>81846278
Always the shitty problem of MUH SHARED UNIVERSE

x-men should really be their own thing apart from avengers/spiderman/etc, I don't care how many butts this statement flusters, it's the truth
>>
>>81846365
agreed. they work much better in a bubble than in an open universe. if they just tried to work within the system and did the hero thing they wouldn't be as hated. I mean the Inhumans did that shit and it didn't take them 30+ years to do it. well kinda.
>>
>>81838148
I think it was wasted on Bendis. I always wanted to see this arc with Cyke but having Bendis write it was just a waste.
>>
>>81838388
hijacked by inhumemes
>>
>>81838671
NIGGGAAA!
>who is GIllen
>>
>>81845330
>even if they stole it from DC
Which sexy motherfucker has it?
>>
>>81846278
>mandatory disney shill
ah, what would be an X-men thread without at least one fucking casual trying to stir shit?
>>
>>81847083
Dick
>>
>>81847105
I have no idea how I missed that. I'm really dumb as brick.
>>
>>81846278
>The Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man are known and beloved by the public
Let's answer a meme with another meme
Spider-Man is considered a menace, and some folks believe he might be a mutant. He is not beloved

Avengers got shit a lot, and individual mutant members got shit as well. Also, bot Civil War and Dark Reign damaged Avengers' cred

Fantastic Four recently was in court (in the run before Secret Wars), got expelled from Baxter building numerous times.

Also, Doc Strange has to deal with the protesters outside his house, who are religious fanatics and are against the occult shit.

Punisher, Ghost Rider and Daredevil are also feared and respected, but there is not much love for them
>>
I feel mostly indifference towards Cyclops.
>>
>>81847137
that's okay anon, at least you're not one of these >>81846278 memesters

Now, they are dumb as brick, or two bricks

But I guess that they only watch movies, and don't read comics
>>
Bendis really dropped the ball by the end of uncanny, despite what we on /co/ say about him. He was trying to go somewhere and suddenly it just....steered off before secret wars and I pray to Korean jesus that when Scott returns, the revolution we were promised MIGHT kick into gear instead of fizzle.
>>
>>81847227
>Bendis really dropped the ball by the end of uncanny
Wish I saved Bendis-ball-dropped.jpeg.
>>
>>81847227
He had a lot of ideas.
For example, he wanted to make old muties culture vs new muties culture. He seemed to have a lot of plans and excitement, and somewhere in the middle he just... lost the steam?

I don't know if it's because of x-fags, as they weren't really harassing him, or was it because of editorial, or maybe he realized that there is no point in bringing A+ game?
>>
File: 1460517232294.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1460517232294.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
>>81847227
I remembered hearing when he was first announced to take uncanny, I knew he was gonna have his head up his own ass and shit the bed

Lo and behold, I was correct
>>
Checlops wa pretty awful.
>>
>>81847308
It seemed like secret wars put an abrupt end to a lot of plans over at marvel, causing writers to just stop caring until after the event.
>>
>>81847308
Only good thing to come out of his run is that issue with alternate realities. Eva was neat but got butchered so whatever.
>>81847317
I bought into hype. Such foolish act.
>>
>>81847354
there is this infamous axis thing, where bendis ignored it, and just made original sin longer. it's infamous because one issue had cyclops vs havok, with no havok inside, meaning that original plans were radically different.

also, there was no lead to nation x, we don't know what x-men were doing during the time runs out era. Hickman wanted to write a mini, but Brevoort said, to quote "No! Let the x-fags suffer!"
>>
>>81847411
* had cyclops vs havok cover
>>
>>81847411
I've gotten sick of marvel dunking the x- books right into the toilet in favor of the inhumans, which they have been pushing because of the movie but rumors have it that it'll be cut out of MCU future development.

fuck em
>>
>>81847489
Obviously, forcing something will always backfire.

What I hate is Quesada's underlings hypocrisy.
There were too many mutants in his opinion, and too many x-books, yet no one has problems with retconning characters into inhumans (don't ask, there are like 3 characters I know that are already retconned), giving them 3 books, plus giving them 2 fringe books (ms marvel and moon girl).

It's really weird how marvel treats the X-Men as something alien
>>
>>81847582
I want to say it's because Fox has the film rights, but that's a dead horse.

Post-House of M, marvel tried to shake the x men off their foot like toilet paper. Look at everything right after the decimation.
>>
Another thing is that it's all too little and too late.
Inhumans missed their train. The best comic book stories were done in 60s-80, plus some 90s stuff.

Their only decent story is that overrated Jenkins/Lee mini that is a nice read, but nothing on the level of DOFP, Phoenix Saga, AoA, etc. Also, you can't just push X-Men rip-off characters (basically every new inhuman is a rip-off of some X-Men character) and expect it to be a hit. The X-Men had over 50 years of continual lore, world building, and char development.

Trying to make it happen in an era of events and decompressed storytelling, and when comics don't have such an impact it used to have is laughable to say the least. They also don't have any classic games, movies, nor cartoons, and I doubt it will change.
>>
>>81838960
>Bendis' uncanny is good for Scott alone but drops the ball at the end because there is no revolution.

Uncanny 600 fixed that problem.
>>
>>81847640
The thing is, X-Office still handled it very well.
They tried to turn a chop into a win, and partially they made it, because we had Messiah saga, Utopia, and some other nice stuff.

But it's obvious that marvel wanted to make Avengers their pet team at the expense of not only X-Men, but also FF and Spider-Man

Notice that Avengers never produced an interesting character on their own. They always take an estabilished and liked character.

The X-Men was the opposite, you had Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, and while they didn't introduce Wolverine, they did make him insanely popular
>>
>>81847689
Don't forget that a lot of charcuterie development sprung out of the post house of m x men, like rightclops and the implications of an black ops team (x force).

The x- office was doing the best they could despite quesada and his pals trying to shush them out because "too many mutant charachters".
>>
>>81847797
>"too many mutant charachters"
That excuse will always be stupid.
>>
>>81847814
Of course. If you think that you have too many mutant characters, don't create new, or... just don't use them.

>>81847797
Yeah. All in all, everything was fine until AVX. For me, this is a line, after which everything went down the toilet very fast, with Spurrier writing the last pure quality books.
>>
>>81838148
That Bendis spent 3 years with his thumb up his ass.
>>
you are put in charge of fixing the x universe to its former glory
>hard mode
No retcons/reboots

GO!!!
>>
>>81847931
Uncanny X-Men: reconstruction of Utopia as the secret base of mutants
X-Men: Unity Squad (instead of uncanny assvengers)
X-Force: back to basic, child soldiers or black ops
New X-Men: the best of rookies
also, some fringe stuff to expand the universe
X-Men: Savage Land
X-Men: Imperial Guard
Laura as Wolverine is good, but give it to a novelist.
Deadpool is doing right at the moment
Soule's Weapon X was cool and should return, but give it to Remender
>>
>>81847931
At least six team book, good writers and decent editorial. Nothing else.
>>
>>81838148
Nice try, that's not Cyclops, that's Gazerbeam.
>>
File: latest.jpg (17 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
17 KB, 300x230
>>81849151
Fuck, forgot img.
>>
>>81849163
just like you forgot wit
>>
>>81849193
Rude.
>>
File: clops.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
clops.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>81838425
>>81839570
>>81841748
>>81846179
this
>>
>>81851273
what could have been
>>
>>81838148
>>81851273
I want Scott to go full Magneto. Maybe he tries to make genosha part 2, it gets destroyed and lots of ppl die and it pushes him over the edge. They could have done that after asteroid M/Utopia but oh well. I want muh bad guy cyclops. I want my revolution (which doesnt really seem to happen... he just sits in cave somewhere and does... nothing)
>>
>>81853722
He went full Magneto. Now he's dead. Thank God on that, now X-books aren't "Cyclops and his uncanny friends".
>>
>>81853760
He had some of his ideals but not the balls to go out and kill people. Thats what I want. Like I said, his "revolution" involved hanging out with some kids in some caves. Whoo-hoo Scott, way to stick to it to them man!
>>
>>81853787
And the entire fucking series was "to revolution or not to revolution that is the question". Why the fuck would he struggle with it? The revolution wouldn't kill
>>
>>81853888
Im just saying thats what I want. I dont think he has the motivation to do so now, but its not something that couldnt be introduced. He'll, he could even just be convinced to kill a certain group (military or otherwise) and I'd be happy with that. Then he could be labeled as a SUPER terrorist and shield go after him in earnest and fun would ensue.
>>
>>81853787
I was more baiting to spark discussion, I mean, come on, X-thread that is mostly dead. Fuck that.
Indeed, you have same thinking as I am. If you just look at first issue, you see Cyclops and Magneto breaking mutants out of prisons, beat cops and shit. Then we got to words, words, words, words, words and everybody sitting and doing jack shit. Oh, and plenty of shit events.
>>
>>81847931
Okay...Let's give this a shot. I've got five ideas, I would like to share.

New X-Men- They were supposed to be the new generation of X-Men. The ones who would lead the charge for a new generation. Now though, they were forgotten and discarded. At first they presumed it was unintentional. Now, as the former team realize that there is something terribly wrong and try to fix it. The only question is what is it?
(Basically a big fuck you to All-New X-Men and the Bendis and Aaron era as it feels up the holes which they left for other writers to fill)

Cyclops- Cyclops. The first X-Men. The one who fought for the cause longer than anyone. The one who sacrificed everything. The one who was abandoned. Now, alone in a world which friends and foes alike fear him, Scott must ask himself a question. What is an X-Man? What is a hero? And does he want to continue his path?
(Basically, a story where Cyclops considers the development he has just undergone and whether or not he wants to continue on his path).

X-Factor- A new era. With that new age there is now a new series of cases. With his new agency and old friends, Jamie solves cases. Yet, there is something looming in the shadows. And he is not sure that he or his team can stop it.

Uncanny X-Men- Alex Summers and his team. If there is one thing they can agree on. It's that something is wrong in the world. Now, they know they are not the best to fix it. But when the X-Men have been split and want little more than to fight each other, its up to them, regardless of how worthy they think they are.

X-Force- X-Force. The team that operates from the shadows. Destroying threats before they come. And in this strange world, that's needed more than ever. Regardless of who they have to fight, Cable and his team will make sure that the world has a future that they can look forward to.
>>
Is there any way to return the x men to their former glory? Like having all the x men unite again after the bridges were burned down post AVX and schism?
>>
>>81854524
They were Skrulls for the last 20 years.
>>
>>81854638
BENDIIIIIIIIS!!!!!
>>
>>81854638
Bendis made me sick of the skrulls. Secret invasion was a good idea executed poorly
>>
>>81856558
>the reason Spider-Woman became inprtant wa as she was secretly QUEEN OF THE SKRULLS
>oh also she's going to still be imoortant because pet character

Fuck Bendis.
>>
>>81857022
Especially the way he writes dialogue makes me want to fucking punch him. It's goofy and annoying as all hell. No one talks like that
>>
>>81857022
Still, there are many things I'd do to Veranke.
>>
Just give me one good come back. Cyclops brought marvel a ton of money and the fucked him over. Just give me one last run, cyclops comes back, assembles the best ever xtinction team, him and Emma fall in love again, defeat the evil that is, kill him off or send him off into retirement leaving room from the new generation (QQ, Cuckoos, shark girl, x13, hope, magik, Evan, blob Herman) then do what ever.

But just give cyclops one last good run. He deserves better than an off panel death.
>>
>>81851273
You mothafuckers never wanted nothing but your life saved, and thats on a good day!
>>
>>81838486
Start with Morrison's New Xmen, then go to Astonishing, read Messiah Complex where they stablish Scott as our fearless and ruthless leader, go then into the Manifest Destiny or whatever is called and into Utopia... here is where modern scott shines
>>
>>81847308
Bendis usually lose interest after the first arc nowadays. It's always filler until the next event after the first arc.
>>
>>81857902
You hit it on the head
>>
>>81857902
Such good runs end in car crash.
That's our Marvel's superstar writer!
>>
You see, I've always liked Cyclops and X-Men ever since I was 5. My problem with his holier-than-thou sanctimonious attitude is that it flies in the face of non-mutant heroes. X-Writers really love shitting on the rest of the universe.

If X-Men and mutants were in their own universe like the Fox movies, Cyclops is undoubtedly right. But within 616, it makes him and other mutants act like whiny faggots that piss and moan about why the universe doesn't revolve around their special snowflake group.

This is why I loved Ultimate X-Men and the way they handled Cyclops there. Way better than the Rightclops Meme and how the X-Men are ALWAYS better than the FF, Avengers, GOTG, etc.
>>
>>81841748
It's only having the opposite effect on me. Their desperation to kill off his character makes me love him even more.
>>
>>81858242
Why do they hate cyclops so much?
>>
>>81858482
X-Men were supposed to be losers and it hilariously backfired. Now they did Fury v2.0 and just removed Cyclops from board.
>>
>>81858518
It's funny because marvel was a big money maker in the 90s and marvel repaying that by just kicking them down
>>
>>81859030
Yeah. Movies are all rage these days, anyway.
>tfw Marvel survived because they sold Hulk, Namor, F4 and X-Men movie rights
>tfw they repay those characters with dead She-Hulk, dead Namor, half of F4 removed and X-Men get yet another story rehash
>then again, X-fags will buy whatever is given to them so...
>>
Cyclops recommended list?
>>
>>81838148
It's brilliant.

>Recruited by a radical mutant leader as a kid to be the leader of a team of child soldiers.
>Constantly has to deal with his friends and loved ones dying around him while his surrogate father figure and his arch enemy play chess with the lives of those under their care.
>Gets turned evil by a psychic malevolent force from beyond time and wrestles with the grim reality of what he's willing to do.
>Live in an increasingly bleak world that proves time and time again it wants to exterminate his entire race.
>Kills his mentor, watches his oldest ally turn on him in a time of crisis for their race, watches his oldest enemy pal around with his former teammates.
>Eventually becomes the very thing he was raised to fight in the first place.

God damn what an arc.
>>
>>81859219
>>81857902
>>
>>81848001
would you return og Logan? I personally would love to see Daken and Jimmy Hudson team up with Laura just to see some Wolverine bros shenanigans

also here is my take:
Someone comes with a way to to make mutants inmune to terrigen bullshit
-Take them back to Utopia
-Cyclops and Logan (he will come back because reasons) stop with their schism bullshit and make amends, X-men are reunited again
Return the original Xmen to their time, New Xmen becomes a team book about rookies like ten years ago
Remender's Xforce comes back in action
Kill or make Old Man Logan a villian (I know it would be a Romulus rehash maybe but might make for a good story to make normal Logan and Laura go against them)
Team book about Wolvie with Laura Daken and Logan against OML
Uncanny Avengers just becomes the mainstream public counterpart of X-force instead of the mish mash they are right now
Deadpool honorary X-men because of the Uncanny shit
Bring back some baddies like the Marauders or the Purifiers
make a side book with a team of old graduates like Hellion, Armor, Quentin Quire etc...
Magneto is still good but sometimes goes against the X-men because Cyclops gets fed up with his supremacist bullshit
Make Iceman bi instead of a ragin faggot so all his past relationships make sense again
>>
>>81859488
It's one of the most magnificent character arcs in comics
>>
>>81858160
how did ultimate treat him?
>>
>>81854015
I like you anon, you're a good anon.
>>
File: utopia.jpg (346 KB, 800x1136) Image search: [Google]
utopia.jpg
346 KB, 800x1136
>>81861357
Just keeping X-fire burning, that's all.
>>
>>81861026
Bullet to the head
>>
never really liked him desu, always was xavier pet

can we also talk how they make beast's design progressively shittier?
>>
>>81846213
what?
>>
>>81862584
Welcome to /co/, newfag, where autism rules supreme
>>
>>81857705
Yes. If he has to die, at least let him die with dignity. And fucking let us see how and why.

If his death is to be permanent, he should have stayed dead from Secret Wars, remembered as the first to stand up to Doom.
>>
Is Ultimate X Men any good?
>>
>>81859488
You forgot about his tragic childhood, time traveling offspring, reunite with his space fairing fatherSinister's interest in his genetics, watching his first love not only die but resurrect multiple times, all between saving the world on a regular basis.
>>
should have fucked Psylocke when he had the chances
>>
File: RREEEE.gif (1 MB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
RREEEE.gif
1 MB, 680x680
>>81853760
AND YOU FUCKING THINK THE X-BOOKS ARE BETTER NOW? THEY ARE FUCKING WORSE THEN ANY OTHER TIME SANS FUCKING CHUCK AUSTIN AREA YOU FUCKING FAGGOT RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81865546
Ultimate was alright in the beginning with Millar writing. Though like The Ultimates, it feels very dated because everything is very post 9/11-y. After Millar it starts sinking until Vaughn takes over. After Vaughn, it sinks like a rock. Ultimatum had a very awesome Cyclops scene, followed by a tragic one.
>>
>>81866278
>Ultimatum had a very awesome Cyclops scene, followed by a tragic one.

I'm assuming you mean when he disintegrated Magneto's fucking head, and then when Quicksilver literally ran a bullet through his head?
>>
>>81866349
Well I was trying not to ruin it for someone who may not have read, but yes.
>>
>>81866419
Ultimatum is garbage and what you should be doing is warning people away from it, or reading it as a cautionary tale
>>
>>81866466
I agree, but it's the conclusion of Cyclops in that universe.
>>
>>81859136
>then again, X-fags will buy whatever is given to them so...
I hate myself so much.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.