[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rank Disney Renaissance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: disney renaissance.jpg (55 KB, 472x700) Image search: [Google]
disney renaissance.jpg
55 KB, 472x700
ITT: We rank the movies of the Disney renaissance. Bonus if you state why you ranked them the way you did. Ignore the direct to video sequels. I shall start.

1. Lion King. Best animation and music, great story. I used to have the Spanish Script memorized since we watched it in Spanish class back in highschool every Friday.
2. Aladdin. Almost as good as Lion King, but the songs weren't quite as fun. Still god-tier, however.
3. Beauty and The Beast. Amazing movie. I sympathized ore with The Beast when I was a kid, but now I think Gaston wasn't really all that evil. Nice to see something like this where you see it in a different light when you get older.
4. Mulan. Underrated in my opinion, this one was pretty good and had some very interesting themes. The music was surprisingly upbeat for a plot about lying about your gender so you can get killed in battle instead of your dad. Also, Mushu wasn't as annoying as everybody says, I didn't mind him.

Continued in next post
>>
>>81832292
5. Little Mermaid. Some of the best songs, but the plot lags after she gets on land. Honestly, I can't even remember the prince's name or, anyone on land, really. First half is god-tier, but second half is pretty weak.
6. Tarzan. Music wasn't great, wish it had some better songs, but had one of the better plots. Tarzan was a pretty cool guy and clayton was an interesting villain who was actually somewhat relatable, much like Gaston.
7. Pocahontas. Like Little Mermaid, it had some awesome musical numbers, but the plot wasn't really all that great.
8. Hunchback of Notre Dame. Would be in the top 3 if not for those obnoxious gargoyle constantly killing the mood.
9. Hercules. I know a lot of people really liked this one, but it just didn't do anything for me. Even when I was a kid I was more familiar with the mythology it was based on and thought it was weird for Zeus and Hera to love each other, and even weirder that Hades was evil when I was used to thinking of him as one of Zeus' bros. Once I got past that, I still wasn't really blown away by anything in it.

So /co/, what do you think? I want to know how you feel about these movies.
>>
>>81832292
Pocahontas is easily the worst.

The others are harder to rank, but I'd put The Little Mermaid, BATB, and Aladdin below Tarzan, Hercules, and Hunchback. Mulan is somewhere in the middle.
>>
File: image.png (211 KB, 331x352) Image search: [Google]
image.png
211 KB, 331x352
>>81832301
>Putting Pocahontas over anything
>Putting the two best at the bottom
>>
>>81832292
I don't think I can rate these fairly; half of them I was exposed to constantly throughout my childhood - so I'll inevitably feel that they're less original - and the others I didn't see until I was an adult.
Pocahontas is easily the worst, though. The others all range from decent to fantastic.
I honestly never properly processed the fact that Beauty and the Beast was a renaissance movie
>>
Hercules>*

Bye gorl
>>
Yeah that's a good hard question, urgh. I'd put Hercules and Pocahontas at some nebulous 'bottom' but all the rest I loved and don't really want to think about their flaws. Keepin' my rose-tinted glasses firmly on for this one.

Special note though will always be the incredible songs in Hunchback, or at least the opening sequence and Hellfire. Even if it was offset by that intolerable comic relief.
>>
File: leo.jpg (5 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
leo.jpg
5 KB, 240x180
>>81832292
>1. Lion King. Best animation and music, great story.
No.
>>
>>81833125
>Not liking Hamlet but with giant cats and a happy ending
>Caring that some Japanese cartoon did something similar earlier
What the hell is wrong with you? Just like stuff for what it is. Nothing is truly original.

And what's with everyone hating on Pocahontas? I liked it.
>>
>Aladdin
>The Little Mermaid
>Tarzan
>Beauty and the Beast
>Hercules
>Pocahontas
>Mulan
>Hunchback
>>
>>81832292
>1. Aladdin
Friend like me and Prince Ali are the best songs ever
>2. Hercules
It's basically Superman
>3. Beauty and the Beast
Fucking stellar animation and pretty spooky parts
>4.Tarzan
>5. Mulan
>6. Lion King
>7. Hunchback
>8. Little Mermaid
>9. pocahontas
>>
>>81832292
Aladdin
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Little Mermaid
Pocahontas
>>
>>81835540
>Fucking stellar animation
BATB has the worst animation of the Renaissance by far. It's way below Disney's usual standards.
>>
>>81832292
1. Hunchback of Notre Dame; Great drawings and animation, fucking brilliant music. One of the best cartoon villains ever. Love the medieval setting. Comic relief characters takes a backseat. One of the most "mature" Disney films, even if it takes a few liberties with the source material.
2. Beauty and the Beast; Fantastic animation and drawings, along with some really great designs. Again, phenomenal music. Subverts the prince charming dynamic, with a fantastic villain, who you can't help but love, just like the townspeople do. Comic relief characters feel like actual characters.
3. Aladdin; Great art and animation, along with some really memorable songs. Fantastic casting, with Robin Williams as Genie, being the main attraction. Knows when to do funny/silly and when to do serious and dark.
4. Hercules; A big deviation from other Disney movies, but manages to pull it off. A good mix of funny/serious, and has the best Disney villain yet. Most comic relief characters feel like real characters.
5. Tarzan; Gorgeous animation and art. Soundtrack is okay, even though I'm not a big fan of Phil Collins. Great adaptation of the adventure series, and shows the fascination that the two sexes can have for each other in a good way. Charismatic villain that you love to hate. Comic relief characters are subdued and feel as a part of the story due to their long established relationship with the main character.
>>
>>81835829
6. Mulan; Good animation and art, with some fitting music. Great retelling of the legend of Mulan, and a good instance of the moral "girls are just as good as boys" without being annoying or preachy. Comic relief characters was surprisingly good.
7. The Little Mermaid; Good art and great animation, especially shown in the hair in water effect. Good story but didn't feel like anything special, and took many liberties withe source material. Villain is good, but comic relief characters are pretty bland.
8. The Lion King; Has great art and animation. Pretty good music too. Story is just a retelling of Amled/Hamlet, but with talking animals. Would have been better if it had been a traditional African story told this way. Villain is well acted, but rather generic. Comic relief characters are okay, but feels disjointed from the story. Adored this movie as a child, but the magic has dwindled over the years.
9. Pocahontas; Has good animation and great use of colors, but flat backgrounds. Story is an okay telling about xenophobia, plus a bland love story. “Savages” was a pretty good song I guess. Villain was okay, but really nothing special. Comic relief characters where never funny, and could have been completely cut from the movie without it changing.
>>
Mulan
Pochontas
Beauty and the Beast
The Last Mermaid
Notre Dame
Tarzan
Hercules

Stolen: The Lion King
>>
File: disney-and-pinnochio-110106.jpg (514 KB, 1593x1489) Image search: [Google]
disney-and-pinnochio-110106.jpg
514 KB, 1593x1489
In my opinion:

Mulan > Little Mermaid > Lion King > Beauty and the Beast > Hercules > Aladdin

I haven't seen Pocahontas or Hunchback, and I haven't seen Tarzan since it came out. I won't judge those.

I still prefer the classic movies and shorts over renaissance movies and TV anyway.
>>
>>81832292
Hercules and Mulan are the best

Hunchback is great but really only because of Frollo, Quasi's singing voice was a little thready and the gargoyles can be grating but I'm biased because the stage production was jaw-droppingly good

Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and BATB are all about the same level since they all follow the same sort of formula, but still good

Pocahontas follows the above formula, but doesn't execute it as well as the others

Tarzan is the start of the Decline Era and not part of the Renaissance
>>
Lion King > Tarzan >>> The rest since I never watched them
>>
>>81836613
What made Tarzan part of the decline era? Did something internal happen in 1999?
>>
>>81832292
My list would be:

1) Aladdin - Great characters, great music, one of the most unambiguously "fun" Disney movies.
2) Lion King - The characters weren't as likeable as Aladdin's IMO but otherwise it's a very close second.
3) Mulan - Great story, great characters, but apart from a few gems the music is just not as good as the above two.
4) Hercules - Fun, fun, fun. As a highlight reel it beats everything else (except Aladdin), but as a whole it doesn't quite compare to the top three.
5) Tarzan - Not enough truly good songs, characters and plot are good but not top-tier.
6) Little Mermaid - Definitely top-tier music, but plot and characters fall off a bit.
7) Beauty and the Beast - Just very average overall, IMO. Nothing about it is bad, but nothing about it is especially good either.
8) Hunchback of Notre Dame - A few excellent songs and characters, but those are just highlights that can't save an otherwise mediocre movie.
9) Pocahontas - Some memorable songs, but apart from that it's severaly lacking in Disney magic.
>>
>>81836875
no, it's just that it's the first to not be a full musical

while Hercules and Mulan got that ball rolling a bit by breaking with the Broadway style of the other movies, Tarzan solidified it. The Decline Era isn't because of anything internal, it's just a delineation to separate the two styles of movies of the Renaissance and post-Renaissance

it's called the Decline Era because the movies were less and less successful and it ended with the traditional animation department shutting down
>>
1. Beauty and the Beast: the most complicated and human characters Disney has ever written. Probably the one time Disney has ever surpassed its source rather than watered it down.
2. Mulan: interesting characters who were very easy to root for and were given a great and momentous setting for them to shine in with organic plot arcs. Kind of goes off the deep end in the end, but it's probably the closest Disney comes to a traditionally good story.
3. Lion King: truly compelling and romantic imagery and set pieces, but overly ambitious, causing it to be rather shallow despite the acting quality
4. Aladdin: Aladdin's story was great with a lot of fun bro times with Robin Williams. Story held together, romance plot was a little flat. Nothing stand-out but solid and enjoyable.
5: Hunchback: such artistic whiplash in this movie. Absolutely gorgeous scenery and musicals, but the greatest mistake in comic reliefery until Jar Jar Binks. But even without them, overly ambitious and not even as fun characters as Lion King.
6: Tarzan: perhaps not a fair assessment but I'm going to say it was forgettable on account of I forgot everything about it.
7: The Little Mermaid: once she goes on land it just becomes so bland, safe, and boring. Who even remembers what happens up there? Should have listened to that crab.
8: Pocahontas: wonderfully bold color choices wasted on an artless, unsubtle soap box stripped of all humanity.

Haven't actually seen Hercules. I know everything that Disney does is sacrilege to their sources and Hunchback is probably a far worse offender, but the moment I saw the intro stole the reigns from "stuffy old historically-minded mythology" by a gospel music group singing about "the gospel truth" as if gospels had anything ANYTHING to do with the Greek Muses, it kind of soured me to the whole concept of a Classics-themed Disney movie. Not saying it's bad, just saying where it's going I cannot follow.
>>
>>81838299
anon it's just a turn of phrase, no need to get so flustered
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.