[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wonder, in older comics, what was the significance of coloring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot_2016-04-14-21-41-03.png (2 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-14-21-41-03.png
2 MB, 1536x2048
I wonder, in older comics, what was the significance of coloring the whole, clothes included, of one color?
>>
There's probably not a lot of "significance" involved. Odds are it was either a printing error or something the artist thought would look good.
>>
>>81827340
Easier
>>
It was cheaper and easier.
>>
>>81827387
>a printing error
man, that was usual.
>>
>>81827387
>Bob, you ordered 5 shipments of blue ink instead of 2 blue, 2 red, and 1 yellow.
>Just print the whole book blue, idgaf...
>>
They had a pallette of only 64 colors
the only way to get comtrast in a composition was with solid colors.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-14-21-51-07.png (2 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-14-21-51-07.png
2 MB, 1536x2048
>>81827538
How is this panel "a composition"?
>>
these are digital touchups of original panels, ya dummies!
>>
>>81827649
still, the figures are small and more colors on each character would look so good
>>
Money. Color is expensive.
>>
>>81827858
>more colors on each character would look so good
that's my point. why using only one colour then?
>>
mood/lighting differences
>>
>>81828049
It's much faster and cheaper.
>>
>>81827340
Making things stand out in an appealing and readable way. In the image you posted, it's used to make each character stand out as separate AND stand out against the background, with the dark colored ones in front of the cloud and the light-colored one in front of the sky.

If that doesn't make sense, just imagine how shitty that panel would be if colored "right". Torch would be wearing blue against a blue backdrop and the first thing that would pop out to the reader would be the Thing's skin.
>>
>>81828101
>mood
I never got coloured all red because my mood changed
>>
>>81827340
It was the best lighting effect they could come up with.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.