[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People on Twitter are giving DC shit for having the gall to combine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15
File: Wacky-Raceland.png (1 MB, 630x957) Image search: [Google]
Wacky-Raceland.png
1 MB, 630x957
People on Twitter are giving DC shit for having the gall to combine the aesthetics of "Mad Max" with the world of "Wacky Races", claiming that it is just another in a long line of gritty reboots and that DC should kill themselves.

Thoughts, /co/? Personally, I feel like this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>81823217
DC or the writers should really make it more clear that it's satire

It's like JL3000 all over again when people were expecting something like Batman Beyond for the Justice League but got satire of of the JL instead and so their response was to drop it and shit all over it.
>>
The book is called Wacky Races. The over-the-top grimdark reinventions are part of the joke.
>>
>>81823450
They did replace Maguire with Porter for some reason, which was widely reported as trying to move the title in a darker direction
>>
I believe that the hypocrisy from the "explosion" of the so called "fans" is rather evident in this case. Bet that the 99% don't even care or know about these characters, and they wouldn't read the comic either way.
>>
>>81823831
It's even more evident with the Scooby Doo one since DC already has two normal, kid friendly Scooby Doo books that sell like garbage.
>>
>>81823893
Which look exactly like the cartoon, no less.
>>
>>81823893
Indeed. So why bother about their reaction. The book is not even out yet, and they shitposting, about something they haven't read.
>>
>>81824052
>So why bother about their reaction. The book is not even out yet, and they shitposting, about something they haven't read.

because complaining and faking caring about things is the main social media minigame

see how many people are all of a sudden dr strange fans just to complain about the trailer
>>
>mad max comic
>over the tops tematic rides
I'm want this
>>
>>81823893
I love the Tweet from Darick Robinson to people complaining about the new Scooby-Doo book about those titles.
>There are still other Scooby-Doo books that look exactly like the cartoon that you're also not buying.
>>
>>81823217
Because people think that once you do something new the old stuff ceases to exist.
>>
>>81823893
>Scooby Doo Where Are You
>Scooby Doo Team Up
>Scooby Doo Apocalypse

>Scooby Doo has as many comics as Batman does at Rebirth
>>
>>81823217
I love it
>>
i didn't know people old enough to care about Wacky Racers could use twitter
>>
>>81824243
not everybody was born after y2k, kid
>>
>>81824243
They saw the South Park parody episode of Wacky Races and now are huge fans of the show they never watched.
>>
>>81824194
Sauce?
>>
>>81824427
elwinne-173418-Alexstrasza_for_Blueberrydrae
>>
>>81824482
And I knew I find those horns familiar, just couldn't point finger.
>>
>>81824532
Forgetting dragon milf is a sin
>>
>>81823217
Who cares what these faggots think? If it's good it's good, gritty reboot doesn't automatically equal shit. The problem is that the art looks like shit.
>>
>>81824147
I wish creators, companies and the like would take that stance more often. They're not buying the books anyway so what does it matter?
>>
Fuck DC.

I used to see the cartoons the characters in the races came from.

Why can't DC feel good about any proper they have?

Why do they seem so embarrassed by what they own that they must change the tone of every property, and in the same direction, more violent, dark and serious?
>>
>>81824832
Yeah, fuck them for playing with properties that haven't been around in decades.

Even though the Flintstones and Future Quest comics look super faithful and there are two regular Scooby comics in addition to the new sci-fi one with an excellent creative team.

These guys can go eat a bag of dicks for not doing a straight adaptation of a cartoon that got one season half a century ago.
>>
>>81823217
Who gives a fuck? These are the same people who likely wouldn't spend a dime or a second reading the comics anyway. They're just people who want to be offended full-time
>>
>>81824972

See, going to the other extreme isn't making DC's trend seem like a good idea either.

The other properties you mentioned have been represented in one way or other consistently so they dare not fuck with it.

It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation, but the show depended on the previously established characters coming together with new ones in a certain tone. Not that DC ever understood what that entails when adapting something. Let's film everyone with dim lights while they scowl and yell wearing dark tones.
>>
Boo hoo, they ruined muh childhood. Boo hoo, tears of hypocrisy.
>>
>>81825251
Again, Future Quest.
It's shaping up to be a faithful and loving adaptation of not just Johnny Quest, but also the original versions of Space Ghost and Birdman plus a bunch of characters nobody really remembers.

The only title that supports your viewpoint is Wacky Raceland, and even that is an obvious joke.
>>
>>81825048
Anger makes dc lose sales, unlike at marvel, where anger causes sales to skyrocket
>>
>>81823217
do we have a release date for this?
>>
>>81824243
I used to watch the reruns on cartoon network.
>>
>>81824147
>>81824819
>Eh, I'll do what I like. The book is gonna sell like crap anyway because all you idiots care about is your hundred Batman books. So fuck it.
I would honestly respect that kind of attitude.

Nerds are annoying jackholes who more often than not are the root cause of the decline of their hobbies.
>>
>>81823217
>People
>on Twitter

Select a maximum of one
>>
>>81823217
The idea that there's too much dark and gritty shit these days is retarded. If anything there's too much of the opposite.
>>
>>81824243
They don't care about the WR, it's just something to complain about
>>
>>81823217
But that's the point. This is publicity, people are talking about this shit, angry people want justification for their anger and they will buy this shit to have it.
The alternative is >>81823893
No one cares, no one talks, no one buys.

DC is a fucking diabolical mastermind.
>>
>>81823217
To quote an anon from another thread
>Is that my nigga Dick Dastardly rocking dreads? Picked the fuck up
>>
>>81825389
It's part of Disney's propaganda and mass brainwashing. "Anything that DC does is bad, anything that Marvel does is good". They can' t stand a healthy competition. They have to crash the competitors.
>>
>>81823217
>People on Twitter are giving DC shit for having the gall to combine the aesthetics of "Mad Max" with the world of "Wacky Races", claiming that it is just another in a long line of gritty reboots and that DC should kill themselves.

Sounds more like something /co/ would say.
>>
>>81824166
This is why I don't get people who get genuinely emotionally upset about BvS being sort of grim.
There is more fun, fluffy Batman and Superman media out there than you could consume in a lifetime. Why get upset that someone made one movie that's different?
>>
>>81825630
>implying anger rises sales for DC
Only for Marvel, friend.
>>
File: hipster shaggy.jpg (125 KB, 600x655) Image search: [Google]
hipster shaggy.jpg
125 KB, 600x655
I love Scooby Doo, so definitely checking out Apocalypse. Comic is the perfect format to do something like this as it's not replacing anything.

Despite not knowing anything about Future Quest the retro-art style is tempting me.

>tfw Hipster Shaggy is pushed in more titles more than Deadpool, Harley Quinn and Wolverine combined
>>
>>81825771
Even then, it only applies to already popular characters.

>>81825918
>Despite not knowing anything about Future Quest the retro-art style is tempting me.
The same creative team did the Convergence: Shazam! mini and an eight-issue Flash Gordon series for Dynamite.
They'll give you a good idea of whether you'll like FQ or not.
>>
>>81825655
It's ironic because that's what DC was accused of/guilty for many decades.
>>
>>81825630
>DC is a fucking diabolical mastermind.

Bwahahaha, no they're not, DC is HORRIBLE at marketing. If anything good comes out of this "protest", and I hope with all of my heart it does, it's 99% dumb luck.
>>
Is there a place to download the Scooby-Doo comics? I'd like to read them all
>>
>>81826117
Most successes are dumb luck anon.
>>
>>81826242

You are such a loser.
>>
>>81826307
I'm posting on /co/, tell me something new.
>>
Wait, this is supposed to be Wacky Races? Jesus that's awful.
>>
>>81824972
>with an excellent creative team.
Jim Lee almost negates this.
>>
>>81826444
Why?
What's wrong with "let's parody last year's best action movie with an old cartoon people sorta remember"?
>>
>>81826500
dc sucks
>>
>>81826484
Oh yeah, I'm sure his "co-plotter" credit means he's super involved.
It's Giffen/DeMatties, dude.

He's there to boost sales.
>>
File: 1455805054344.jpg (752 KB, 1551x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455805054344.jpg
752 KB, 1551x1200
>>81825918
>>81826014
If Future Quest is ANYTHING like the team's past two collaborations, it's going to be amazing. I was just saying that I'd love a poster or print of this last night.
>>
>>81826564
Go then and read Bendis.
>>
>>81826500
Nothing, I suppose. As someone who liked Wacky Races though this is... unappealing to say the least.
>>
>>81823623
>which was widely reported as trying to move the title in a darker direction
Because comic """"""""Journalists"""""""" don't know shit
>>
>>81825554
They should be way more patronizing about it
>Well unfortunately, the version of the book you wanted existed, but *gasp* you didn't buy it! Again! So we're doing it our way this time
>>
File: DC Previews (2016)-022.jpg (2 MB, 2438x3263) Image search: [Google]
DC Previews (2016)-022.jpg
2 MB, 2438x3263
I'm just glad to see Wacky Races ANYTHING these days but I still think it's a dumb idea.
>>
>>81825251
>talking about the films as a reflection of the DC comics company when they literally have no control over them, and don't even have a studio at Warner
>>>/tv/
>>>/thegaragewithyourcarrunningandyourwindowsdown/
>>
Is it just me or are people a lot more willing to try and tear down DC than Marvel? Am I imagining it, or does DC take more risks or something?
I'm a Marvel/Indyfag by the way, very rarely buy DC.
>>
>>81826564
OK, drone.
>>
>>81826781
Redline.
>>
>>81826852
Not just you and you're not just imagining things
>>
Do we know how they're going to fuck up Space Ghost yet?
>>
>>81826852
Ya DC is in the bad graces of the public for some strange reason. They tend to take more risks but have shit publicity, they need new marketing.
>>
>>81826852
>Marvel/Indyfag by the way
Get. The fuck. Out.
>>
>>81826869
It's true
They do very little diverse titles and the ones they do get rid of are diverse ones or by writers they hate like Nick Spencer, nor do they have writers like Bendis who are good at writing nuanced women
>>
>>81826781
You kmow in comics there is a concept called Multiverse. There are parallel universes with different interpretations of the same characters. So let's keep an open mind and read the comics first, and then we will judge them if they are bad or good.
>>
File: Future-Quest-promo04.jpg (164 KB, 612x929) Image search: [Google]
Future-Quest-promo04.jpg
164 KB, 612x929
>>81826900
No, because they're not going to fuck him up, Marveldrone. Go shill your shitty subhumans or something, no one cares.
>>
>>81826900
>I hate it before it's even out!
Just end your life. You must hate yourself and everything you do so goddamn much to have this attitude and the fact that you focus it on something so trivial as children's media while you're a full grown adult means you're likely beyond help. There are many painless ways to do it, but someone like you, I bet you'd wanna do a shooting and a suicide by cop. That sounds like your alley. Just end the hatred and the pain man. It'll make it all better for everyone.
>>
File: f4a.png (150 KB, 626x626) Image search: [Google]
f4a.png
150 KB, 626x626
>>81826935
Shitposting used to be an art.
>>
>>81826900
>Parker/Shaner
>fucking up anything
Maybe read some comics.

Or is not doing it based on Coast to Coast a "fuck up"?
>>
>>81826935
Go fuck yourself
>>
>>81827039
I bet you like them double shipping their titles for quick cash grabs too
They should be more like marvel who never double ship books except to occasionally subsidize niche books like Squirrel Girl
>>
>>81827039
>actually giving that an angry response
You gotta be kidding me, man.
>>
>>81827200
Well they probably haven't read Spencer's twitter or themarysue, so.
>>
>>81826935
Then go and read the next Bendis's characterization butchering event.
>>
>>81827245
Missile to the tits!
>>
>>81824147
they are still putting out stuff in the mystery incorporated universe?!?! fucking where?
>>
Sounds like fun. I'm sure people said the same thing about Afterlife With Archie and that turned out to be the best horror comic in the last decade so I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>81823217

I think this isn't going to last eight issues.
>>
>>81828060
Didio usually keeps his pet projects running longer
>>
Well shit howdy, I didn't know an excessively grim'n'gritty Wacky Racers was even part of that line up. I'm definitely going to read that. Sincere or not, it sounds hilarious.
>>
>>81823217
It's fucking dumb as hell but that's what makes me like it. By comparison that Scooby Doo thing looks like shit that's clearly being made to pander to the current generation of kids but this looks more interesting. Seems like these people were tasked with making a "modern" Wacky Races and just went fuck it and had fun with it. Whether or not it ends up actually being good remains to be seen but I like that took a chance on a weird idea.
>>
>>81828108

Tell that to OMAC.
>>
>>81828222
>usually
>>
>>81828240

Yeah, I'm sure Wacky Races: Mad Max Edition is going to be the one Didio throws his weight around for.

This entire imprint looks dead on arrival.
>>
>>81823217
the thing is a Mad Max movie came out last year, it's does not look like tribute or satire, it looks like a fucking rip-off. Also the characters are barely recognizable, myself I can only identify Penelope because she's waering Pink.

Don't get me started on hipster Shaggy and post apoc Scoob Doo.

Whoever is making the one with Space ghost and Jhonny Quest is the only guy who got it right.
>>
>>81823217
My onlu issue is that the designs are kind of boring. If there's anything I'd like to see be a tad more wacky it'd be their costumes.

>>81824243
I'm 24 and it was one of my favorite cartoons when I was young and they played the reruns. That being said, I was so young that I can't remember enough to properly bitch and whine about redesigns.
>>
File: nerds.png (251 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
nerds.png
251 KB, 500x280
>>81826958
>You kmow in comics there is a concept called Multiverse

you sound like such a fucking faggot ass nerd, damn I seriously want to bully you right now.
>>
>>81828060
They said the same about He-Man, and it lasted almost 4 years, with more than 55 issues. So better not play the prophet, about something that it's not even out yet.
>>
File: redline-desert-race.jpg (238 KB, 1860x1044) Image search: [Google]
redline-desert-race.jpg
238 KB, 1860x1044
>>81823217
I was hoping Wacky Races would end up like Speed Racer or Redline or F-Zero, something crazy, over the top scifi setting.
>>
>>81828675
What's your problem seriously?
>>
File: Kim Reaction.png (31 KB, 369x391) Image search: [Google]
Kim Reaction.png
31 KB, 369x391
>>81828769

Oh no, I might be proven wrong on an anonymous image board. How absolutely terrifying.

The difference is He-Man is just a straight-up adaptation of the source material. I feel like the novelty here is going to wear thin pretty quickly.
>>
>>81828324
The designs are by the same person who designed Mad Max Fury Road.

That's not a rip off
>>
For those of you who hate the concept, you do know there will be a new iteration of the series on Cartoon Network soon, right?
>>
>>81823893
>Scooby Doo books that sell like garbage

They do great for the "Kids Only" imprints.
>>
>>81823217
>People on Twitter
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>81829444
Trips of truth.
>>
>>81823450
I think this is the problem really. If they made it more obvious it was parody to begin with people wouldn't be as mad.

>>81825413
Not sure on the exact date but it was in the June solicits
>>
>>81828997
Excuse me dude, but the designs of this comic were NOT made by Brendan McCarthy.
>>
>>81830215
That's right, however
>vehicle designs by Mark Sexton (MAD MAX: FURY ROAD).
>>
>>81825918
Shaggy looks like the POS waiter from my local cafe. I fuckking hate this look for any man.
>>
File: MMFR-Buzzard-in-storm.jpg (576 KB, 940x622) Image search: [Google]
MMFR-Buzzard-in-storm.jpg
576 KB, 940x622
>>81830298
I never mentioned the vehicles though. I meant the characters, I actually mentioned Penelope by name in my post, so I don't know what you're talking about.

But by the way, the vehicles were also originally designed by McCarthy.

I know some of those were re-designed to some degree, but thinking that bringing some production designer somehow makes this comic have credibility is ridiculous.

It borrows to directly, in a too straight forward manner from Mad Max. As I said, it borrows so much from a movie that just came out (and that it's own by the same parent company by the way) that non of the characters are recognizable in the slightest.

Maybe they were going for this, but I don't dig it at all.
>>
>>81830298
>Mark Sexton

He was a story border in Mad Max, not a designer.
>>
>>81828324
>Don't get me started on hipster Shaggy and post apoc Scoob Doo.
Again, there are TWO straightforward Scooby books that nobody reads.
>>
Well they are right.

You know this shit will be fucking canned in like 10 issues.

Why bother making this useless bullshit?
>>
>>81833178
I fail to see how that justifies a shitty concept.
>>
>>81835225
How is a satirical take a shitty concept? Especially when we know it will probably be done well given the creative team?
>>
>>81835308
That remains to be seen. The only thing we have to judge is the cover, for me it doesn't look satirical in the slightest.

It looks like they couldn't come up with anything else but blatantly do Mad Max. If it's satirical it certainly doesn't look like they are advertising that with the cover.
>>
I don't know about the rest of ya'll niggas, but I'm fucking pumped for Future Quest
>>
>>81835584
Considering who the writer is for Wacky Races, it's going to be very tongue in cheek.
>>
>>81823217
Literally judging a book by it's cover.
>>
>>81836236
You have more hope than me in mankind, that's for sure.
>>
>>81836311
No, I just happen to know that the writer is only really writes comedy. He wrote Happy Tree Friends and MadWorld for fuck's sake, there's no way this is going ot be serious
>>
this is the book that divides /co/mics, not Civil War 2, not DC Rebirth. It's the fucking Hanna Barbera Books.
>>
File: 1460335283680.gif (197 KB, 838x450) Image search: [Google]
1460335283680.gif
197 KB, 838x450
>>81823450
>make it more clear that it's satire

No. That would kill the joke. There needs to be more satire where it's difficult to determine whether or not the writer was serious. Like Tails got Trolled or Indigo Prophecy.
>>
>>81836451
comics /co/ is united against Civil War 2 and in favor on HB
>>
>>81838361
Except David Cage WAS serious about more of Indigo Prophecy than anyone should be.
>>
>>81838452
huh, are they? I've been actively avoiding the threads.
>>
>>81839513
It's Bendis

Who the fuck likes Bendis
>>
>>81839559
It's Bendis?
>>
>>81839617
It's Bendis
>>
>>81839559
>>81839617
>>81839648
please no
>>
>>81839704
Brian Michael Bendis?
>>
>>81824350
Which episode?
>>
>>81826781
Wasn't pitstop a good guy in the original? And what about peter perfect?
>>
File: '.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
'.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>81828675
>says the likely out of shape likely faggot on a comics and cartoons board
>>
>>81826601
if Inch High Private Eye isn't in this I'm going to fucking die
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.