[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when Disney ruined the most iconic moment in the original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: STWARS2015002-int2-2-fe876.jpg (243 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
STWARS2015002-int2-2-fe876.jpg
243 KB, 900x1366
Remember when Disney ruined the most iconic moment in the original trilogy (Luke fighting Vader for the first time in Empire) with a shitty comic?

Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't insist on making this canon.
>>
>>81758645
Only the movies really matter in terms of canon.

But if you insist on getting butthurt over the EU, Luke fighting Vader is something the new EU has been relatively tame on. This wasn't even a fight. Luke got lucky and escaped.

The old EU had Luke fighting Vader everyday like some kind of Saturday morning cartoon villian.
>>
>>81758645
>Remember when Disney ruined the most iconic moment in the original trilogy (Luke fighting Vader for the first time in Empire) with a shitty comic?

No. Because that comic doesn't ruin the scene in the film one bit. It explains why Vader even knew Luke even existed and who he needed to go after in the first place. It gives context to TESB. The comic makes it better.
>>
>>81758805
>This wasn't even a fight.

Their sabers still touched. It was still a saber duel.

And yes, Disney is insistent on making this canon, so I will insistently complain. That's how this works. They should've been prepared for that.
>>
>>81758877
But Disney doesnt come to Oxford Cheese Grating sites, go complain on the official forums
>>
>>81758852
While the comic wasn't that great, along with the rest of the EU, I do like how between the comics, Lords of the Sith, and surprisingly even Rebels, Vader is a badass again rather than "the guy the new character makes look like a bitch so they look badass" character he was for a while.
>>
>>81758852
why the fuck would the Emperor's #2 not know the guy who blew up the Death Star existed when he personally failed to stop him
>>
>What is Splinter of the Mind's Eye

Calm your tits
>>
>>81758967
Even Star Wars fans don't care. The new canon hasn't really fucked anything up yet. (Someone will post Han using a saber, but if you read the comic, all he did was blindly hack and slash.)

The only thing the new canon has done wrong so far is be 65% boring.
>>
File: fail.jpg (570 KB, 1280x1976) Image search: [Google]
fail.jpg
570 KB, 1280x1976
>>81758645
Remember when George Lucas ruined the most iconic moment in the original trilogy (Luke fighting Vader for the first time in Empire) with a shitty comic?

Wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't insisted on making this canon.
>>
>>81758805
>Only the movies really matter in terms of canon.

This isn't the MCU.
>>
>>81758645
1. It happened in EU as well.
2. It's not a proper duel.
3. It throws out of the window one of George's shitty special edition fuck ups
>>
The battle in Empire was still never stated to be their first encounter. Simply their most iconic, and the one that ended in Luke being told that Vader is his father.

Even in the old EU it wasn't their first battle, but I don't see you whining about that.
>>
>>81759132
>It throws out of the window one of George's shitty special edition fuck ups

Curious, which one? I never noticed that.

Which is odd, since the Special Editions are supposed to be the "canon versions".

I guess the story group is just waiting for Disney to release the theatricals?
>>
>>81759116
Kevin is really fucking over an entire television studio by playing the "you can't borrow my toys" game.
>>
>>81759195
He doesn't know jack shit about Star Wars. It's cool to like Star Wars now. Back in my day only us nerds liked it.
>>
File: 69.jpg (42 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
69.jpg
42 KB, 480x320
>>81758645
>Disney ruins everything
In other breaking news, water is wet.
>>
>>81759098
Did this nigga trip on his own arm ?
>>
>>81759201
ESB special edition makes it so that Emperor first informs Vader of Luke's existence, while in original version he already knew.
FFS the openin crawl flat out says that Vader is looking for Luke Skywalker.
>>
File: Splinter_of_the_Minds_Eye.png (2 MB, 700x1048) Image search: [Google]
Splinter_of_the_Minds_Eye.png
2 MB, 700x1048
>>81758805
Yeah, do people not know about this crap?
>>
>>81758877
Why do you let other people decide canon for you?
>>
>>81759827
the Emperor tells him in the original version too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKtciRCVpFE
>>
>>81758645
I actually like this battle because it showed Luke how fucking useless he is against him and it has a cool dynamic because it's before Vader knew he was his son so you have him basically mocking Luke.
>>
>>81760068
Because it's literally official designation.

Not that it effects story quality. But canon is literally dictated by a group of people at Lucasfilm.
>>
>>81760072
>Sheev: We have a new enemy - Luke Skywalker
>Vader: He's just a boy
Vader already knows about him.
>>
>>81760072
Really? All I got from that is the Sheevy emphasizing that "This shit is your fault, deal with it" and that killing Luke should be his top priority.
>>
>>81760072
There are a few special edition things I like, and plugging Ian McDiarmid in here is one of them. I don't like the changing of the lines, though.

I don't get what I want.
>>
>>81759025

Because he can't see the fucker's face and learn his name from looking at him in through the fucking cockpit. In the comics, he gets Luke's face and and learns his name. Thus why he is pretty much focused on Luke through the entirety of TESB.
>>
>>81759098
Technically George had another man write a novel that was later adapted into a comic.
>>
>>81759098
>fucking implying lucas gave a fuck about EU

He hated the Force Awakens. FOR GOOD REASON DISNEY SHILL
>>
>>81760181
They only have that power if you let them.
>>
>>81760863
Because it showed that Star Wars was better off in someone else's hands?
>>
>>81760935
Abrams is cancer. He ruins everything. If anything Finn should of been the Jedi since he had fucking stormtrooper training. Since Disney in charge it had to be Rey who mastered the Force because SHE STRONK WOMAN. Fuck off.
>>
>>81759098
>>81760863

He loved Dark Empire though.

>mfw it will come to pass that Force Storms will be a canon power again

>>81760927
Pretty much. It's like Marvel still being called 616.
And regardless it's not like it matters that the storylines aren't getting updated. Luke only had a few years left till he died, and it was pretty obvious that Ben was gonna use his dick to redeem that one sith girl.
>>
>>81761084
What the fuck does Stormtooper training have to do with Force sensitivity?
>>
>>81758645
Remember when anon made this same exact thread 5 fucking times?

No one gives a shit about Vader being barely in OOC some comic no one read.
>>
File: uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.png (130 KB, 450x358) Image search: [Google]
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.png
130 KB, 450x358
>Not selectively considering only the movies you like to be canon and then ignoring everything else
>>
>>81761219
Oh I have. I love all 4 movies.
>>
It's funny that TFA has put /pol/ shills into the awkward corner between defending a black man and defending a woman.
>>
Is it just me or is Darth Vader a bit of a snarker in the comics?
>>
>>81758645
Splinter of the Mind's Eye was their first meeting in old canon

Besides, Kylo Ren and Snoke ruined the OT retroactively and are ruining the ST actively
>>
>>81761180
Man I guess you missed the part where he beat the trooper who was wielding a blade? Rey sucks. There is no fucking reason to believe that the reason she can use the Force is going to make sense. Even Luke was the son of a Jedi from Episode IV. George Lucas should of make these movies. Abrams ruined Star Trek and now he's thrown Star Wars off the rails.
>>
>>81761402
>implying EU didn't have legions of Sith after ROTJ
>implying Kylo Ren isn't the best thing about ST
>>
>>81761453
>George Lucas should of make these movies
JarJar, Digital Backlots, Morriban.
>>
>>81761453
>Man I guess you missed the part where he beat the trooper who was wielding a blade?
Pretty sure he lost their little duel and Solo had to save his ass.
>>
>>81761475
>wanting emo faggots as villains
>>
>>81761371
>everyone who hates TFA is from /pol/
>>
>>81761453
>Man I guess you missed the part where he beat the trooper who was wielding a blade?

How's a blade going to stand against a lightsaber? You can't defend yourself against that. It doesn't even take combat training to use a lightsaber kill a guy with some other weapon that isn't a firearm.
>>
>>81761603
>not wanting complex villains
>wanting more of the same
>wanting another cold scarred generic bad guy
>>
>>81761672
Did you even watch the movie? It was an lightsaber resistant energy weapon that TR-8R was trained to use vs Finn who used lightsaber for the first time.
>>
>>81761556
And all of those still made more sense the shit that's happened under Abrams. "The Resistance" exists? Fuck off. There is no reason why the new Galactic Republic wasn't fighting this off full force. "Starkiller". Definitely not a re-hash of EIV
>>
File: Delta Squad.jpg (38 KB, 928x424) Image search: [Google]
Delta Squad.jpg
38 KB, 928x424
>You will never save Sev.
>>
>>81760019
OP confirmed of being a kid who never read EU before Disney bought SW.

Mind's Eye was the first EU before even Empire was released. It had a Vader fight and everything.
>>
>>81761691
He literally threw bitch fits. Get bent. He wasn't complex. They even said in the movie he wants to be Anakin 2.0
>>
>>81761453
He lost that duel you idiot.
>>
>>81761799
It was a stun baton, and Finn was likely trained in melee combat. Even still, he nearly got killed until Han and Chewie saved him as >>81761569
said.
>>
File: X-Wing.jpg (676 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
X-Wing.jpg
676 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>81761935
He wants to, but he is pretty much polar opposite of Vader. ANd his bitch fis are really no different from Vader choking imperials on a whim.
>>
>>81761799

You said a blade. That wasn't a blade. It was a ray shielded night stick similar to Zygerrian whips and Grievous' Mangna-guard staffs. And "TR-8R', as most call him, was kicking Finn's ass the entire time. Finn came out of it because Han one-shot the guy with Chewie's bowcaster.

I think you need to rewatch it, lad.
>>
>Watch the Star Wars Rogue One trailer
Looks cool but I admit, I'm gonna miss Kyle Katarn.
>>
>>81761813
TFA was a better movie than any of the prequels. I certain enjoyed it more than any of them, at least, having just seen all the prequels shortly beforehand.

But as a long time fan of Star Wars, the setting was disappointingly rote. The only really fun "new" thing was Finn. Kylo was a nice twist on the shittiness of the PT Anakin character, for me. But everything else was a retread or a mishmash of OT characters and plot points. The entire movie just sets up the same damn plot from the originals: underpowered, undermanned resistance against the big bad nazi empire with one trainee jedi helping them. There's no reason to have no jedi. No reason to have no New Republic.
>>
>>81761849
Fuck man, that hurts.
>>
>>81762131
How much does Disney pay you?
>>
>>81762173
>You said a blade.
wasn't me. This is me >>81761799. You said nothing can stand up to a lightsaber, which is clearly not the case.
>>
File: ATAT.jpg (185 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
ATAT.jpg
185 KB, 900x1200
The Imperials had the best equipment.
>>
>>81762311
>no arguments left
>gotta think quick!
>s-shill!
Nice.
>>
>>81761385
He's about Empire levels. He was strangely snarky in Empire and then never again.
>>
>>81762296
I disagree about it being better than the prequels, but I agree Finn was the best developed character and should of been the main focus. The lack of NR Government or Jedi make the whole point of the OT moot. At least we had Obi-wan and Yoda. Luke didnt even fucking say one word
>>
>>81761935
Kylo wants to be Vader, but his main conflict is that he feels he doesn't live up to him. He feels his ties to his family hold him back, which is why he kills Han.

And his tantrums are perfectly in line for Vader's evil grandson who's trying to follow in his footsteps. He's basically prequel Anakin but under a skilled writer and with a more talented actor in his place, and with Vader's tendency to kill his subordinates and break shit when angry, just turned up to 11.
>>
>>81762371
Yea, comparing Vader ensuring his Empire had the strongest leaders and Kylo Ren slashing shit in a bitch rage are the same thing. Hope the mouse is treating you well faggot
>>
>>81762296
My big problem with TFA is that its boring. Like, the first act is great, but the moment they get off not-tatooine, the whole thing just becomes a mess of unimportant scenes that do nothing, boring action, and rushed, hurriedly delivered plot dumps.

The Turbodeath star shows up for the first time and 20 minutes later we're taking it out. Theres no tension, no build. It all just happens.

Only good moment was Kylo killing Han but even that was sullied by him taking off his helmet earlier for Rey.
>>
>>81762455
>skilled writer

Under a skilled writer Luke would have killed Ren a long time ago.
>>
>>81762325
>You said nothing can stand up to a lightsaber

Nope. I said a blade, a singular physical object cannot stand up to a lightsaber. A lightsaber, or any energy shielded weapon are the only weapons that can. The only other object/substance that can resist a lightsaber is a Zillo-beast hide.
>>
>>81759689
this image upsets me greatly
>>
>>81762455
>he's a fanfiction character

got it
>>
>>81762430
Finn and Poe were the best characters in the movie not named Han Solo.
>>
>>81762650
Again, I agree. I just wish we had an actual Star Wars movie and not "EPISODE IV 3D XL"
>>
>>81762430
The character and dialog writing, as rote as the plot was, just felt less awkward to me. Even in ROTS, some lines are just bizarre and utterly cringe worthy.

But yes. As much as people bitched about the old EU undercutting the triumph of the end of ROTJ. In the old EU, although the Empire didn't immediately keel over and there continued to be shit to deal with, there was a sense of progression. There was a new government. A new status quo. The Jedi were returning. There were some dumbass stories, no doubt, but in terms of the actual accomplishments of the characters? They built something.

TFA is literally just "didn't matter, we're back to ANH all over again."
>>
>>81762818
"FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL"

Nothing will ever save us from that. But that duel had meaning. As stupid as it was it was part of the story. TFA is just "Lets do it again, but not try!"
>>
>>81758645
>Remember when Disney ruined the most iconic moment in the original trilogy
No, but I remember when OP ruined this thread.
>>
>>81763024
Oh, there were other lines I had mind.
>"My power has doubled since the last time we met."
>"He... killed younglings."
>Ewan McGregor visibly has to cover up his smile at the line, playing it off as Obi-wan covering his mouth in horror.

I don't think the finale to TFA has to be a big culminating fight, it is the opener to a trilogy. But it is also lacking in plot or character importance. Finn has already overcome his fear. Rey is already using the force. Neither of their roles in the final fight are major character moments.

I did like that beating Kylo Ren was a team effort. Shot in the stomach by Chewbacca, Finn slashes him good one or twice, Rey gets the last cut.
>>
>>81763540
>Neither of their roles in the final fight are major character moments.

Rey's big acceptance of the force happened then though.
>>
>>81764874
It was certainly dramatic, but when she's causally slinging around mind tricks as a joke, it loses a bit of its punch.

It's actually the only "mary sue" thing she does that I have a problem with. I'm nowhere near as agitated by the rest of her accomplishments as others are.
>>
>>81765021
I agree with the spoiler. I think they should have her use a more subtle force technique as build-up to the big "I concentrate and then let the force guide me to fuck up Kylo" moment. Something like straining to telekinetically push a button that frees her or something.
>>
>>81759288
It's a blessing in disguise.

If Fiege was involved in Marvel TV in any way, Daredevil would be nothing but quips, Foggy would probably have a way larger role than he already has, and Jessica Jones wouldn't even exist.
>>
>>81765299
>Foggy would probably have a way larger role than he already has
Foggy's consistently one of the best parts of Daredevil
>>
>>81761475
The many new Sith didn't manage to fuck up Luke's life's work, he was long dead when they won out again.

Krayt and One Sith > Snoke and Knights of Ren, infinitely

And Kylo is the very worst part of the ST
>>
>>81765905

I actually like Kylo a lot. I agree with you about Krayt though. I didn't hate TFA, but deep down I think Legacy is still the sequel trilogy I wanted.
>>
>the manchildren of /co/ are so despicable that they will continue to defend shitty lowquality comics as official canon
You guys are disgusting
>>
>>81766767
It makes more sense that manchildren are the ones bitching about it.
>>
>>81766874
I bet you like Rebels too, faggot
>>
>>81766767
>>81766874

It doesn't matter which side you take. If you're arguing about Star Wars on the internet, you have manchild tendencies at the very least.
>>
>>81766374
>>81765905
I'm still holding out hope that they'll say that the order wasn't slaughtered and several masters are still alive, but Luke ordered them into hiding because reasons.

>yfw they appear for the final battle of Ep8
>yfw it's like seeing an OR battle on large scale
>>
>>81761282
>I love all 4 movies.
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Ewoks: Battle for Endor?
>>
File: 1459266821322.jpg (84 KB, 604x311) Image search: [Google]
1459266821322.jpg
84 KB, 604x311
>>81765299
>Daredevil would be nothing but quips
>>
>>81759090
>but if you read the comic, all he did was blindly hack and slash

That just makes it worse
>>
>>81760555
Ok genius, how did he not recognize his own lightsaber in Luke's hand in the comic?
>>
>>81774132
He actually did. Not to defend the comics in any way because fuck they're bad, but Vader's comments imply he recognises the sabre.
>>
>>81758645
>ive killed very many fathers, you'll have to be more specific

Vader doesn't make these fucking quip's
Fuck off Disney
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.