[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest, /co/. Do comics still appeal to you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: Frank.png (294 KB, 676x711) Image search: [Google]
Frank.png
294 KB, 676x711
Be honest, /co/. Do comics still appeal to you?
>>
Not Marvel an DC comics, but Indie and Manga are great for me.
>>
>>81741199
Yes, the problem is you.
>>
yeah but only self contained stuff
don't have the drive to keep up with continuity and events anymore
>>
I just started recently getting into them a lot. So yes, I would say they do.
>>
>>81741199
I'm kinda new to comics (I started reading them regularly a year or two age), but I'm finding new and exciting stuff to read what seems like everyday. Maybe I haven't been at it long enough to become cynical or jaded, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic currently. Granted, I don't read a lot of Big Two (aside from Vertigo) so maybe that explains my cheerful demeanor.

I'm reading The Boys, Hellblazer and Sandman atm.
>>
Yes, more than other mediums. I should start reading books too, though.
>>
I think I've finally converted myself to being a trade-only reader (except for Bronze Age and older comics).

Comics are still appealing to me. You just have to be willing to put your interest -- and money -- where things are good. Old comics, good trades, and the extremely rare (but always welcome) good floppy.
>>
>>81741199
For the cost of a trade I can get double or triple the amount of hours of entertainment through other means of media.

Comics still appeal to me, but there price point has achieved a level that I just can't justify at 38 years of age where time = money.
>>
Yeah, I love comics and am on a huge buying spree to kickstart my collection since I was too obsessed with vidya to buy them when I was younger.

Though to be honest I feel like I'm avoiding a lot of the modern continuity stuff in favor of more classic and standout works - that and any coherent run I can find in an Omnibus.
>>
File: resume.jpg (136 KB, 569x422) Image search: [Google]
resume.jpg
136 KB, 569x422
>>81741373
>spending money on entertainment
>>
>>81741199
I've started reading books more than comics. And the comics I do read are rarely big 2. And I stay away from events and such like the plague.
>>
DC does when they're not shitting the bed (Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, i want to say JL but i've read so much better runs before).
Marvel used to, now i just want it to end, im reading Earth X and i kind of understand what people mean when they say that Marvel sort of lost its feel.
Im also reading Ennis' Hitman for the first time and its one of the greatest comics i've ever read.
Also, i'll probably get back into manga, most likely Akira.
>>
>>81741199
Yup.
>>
>>81741444
This is why your generation is fucked.
>>
>>81741562
No, leftists and jews are ruining our generation.
>>
>>81741199
>Be honest, /co/. Do comics still appeal to you?

Manga is comics, so yes.
>>
The Mignolaverse still exists, so yes
>>
>>81741585
Oh and here I thought it was people who think everything should be free and refuse to spend money on things that others are trying to make a living on.
>>
>>81741641
Yeah, you're an idiot. Comic book piracy does not harm the producers of it.
>>
>>81741199
Older stuff and non-cape stuff.
Newer cape stuff is just far too riddled with the many problems in the modern comics industry to appeal to me anymore.

I read older comics I've already read all the time though and it's still great fun.
>>
>>81741767
that is why they are having to shill out to the movie industry to make money
>>
>>81741600
Recommend me Mignola books, I have the first 6 Hellboy volumes and B.P.R.D. on my collection list, what else is good?
>>
>>81742313
baltimore
amazing screw on head
all the other mignolaverse stuff
>>
>>81741199

Only DC comics and Spider-Man.
>>
>>81742313
Lobster Johnson Capuut Mortum
Frankenstein Underground
Sledgehammer 44
>>
>>81741817
This
>>
>>81742313
Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest
>>
File: Doomternity.jpg (583 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Doomternity.jpg
583 KB, 1988x3056
>>81741199
Not after Secret Wars.
>>
>>81741199
Only DC comics now and even they're starting to slip. I mostly just read old trades from times when there was more going on than just power levels and fight scenes.
>>
File: image.jpg (564 KB, 553x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
564 KB, 553x850
Yeah, I'm reading through the book editon of Bodyworld right now
>>
most of it still does
but marvel has taught me that me existing is pure evil, and that I can only cause pain and suffering due to me being a straight white christian male
>>
>>81741199
Yep. In all ways. I still read Marvel and am now getting into more DC. I love indie shit, stand alone shit, cape shit, none cape shit, Image stuff, Valiant stuff, dynamite stuff.

I consistently check out new things ive been meaning to read or just heard about in back issues while reading issues which come out each week.

I love the characters, the tropes, the silliness and the pathos, the canon, and when writers say fuck canon and make interesting stories all their own. I love things harkening back to classic times early in a books life as well as new experimental shit.

So comics still very much appeal to me. I leave the cynical anger and complaint culture to other folks around here.
>>
>>81741767
Dude I personally pirate the shit out of comics but if you think what we do isn't a big part of the continual drop in comic sales you are simply being deluded.
>>
>>81741767
Do you know how shit the pay for comics is because nobody is making money?
>>
>>81741562
If you are 38, I am only 3 years younger than you, get fucked and keep paying for my entertainment kek
>>
>>81741276
this
Cape comics are really not for me any more. I think ruining Venom after such a great run nailed the coffin shut for me
But I don't post in cape comic threads so I'm trying not to spread my ignorance around
>>
>>81743822
Not that guy, but it's pretty proven that piracy can't be linked to significant lost profits in other areas (movies, music, games)

Comics are probably too niche an industry for their to be much data on, but I'd expect it's a similar case. A lot of folks that pirate are people who wouldn't be buying the physical product, so instead of lost profit it's basically free marketing. The people who pirate INSTEAD of buying are small enough in number that they don't make much of a difference.
>>
>>81743734
>Being a white male terrorist in current year
>>
>>81741479
>Ennis' Hitman

A wise choice Sir
>>
>>81743586
this, i like to think i needed shit to "end" for me to be like 'ok here's the jump off point'

though im gonna be reading image for a while at least while my usual stories are still running
>>
>>81741199
Young Animal seems like my jam. I mostly read Image and other creator-owned stuff these days, if not re-reading past stuff.
>>
>>81741199
Yes, but it's been at least a dozen years since I've been interested in anything "The Big Two" have published in their main lines. They're just not my thing anymore, and I'd been gravitating away from them since at least the mid-1990s.

I've been reading mostly self-contained miniseries and OGNs since about 2004 (note that I started regularly reading comics in the early 1980s)—mostly crime, sci-fi, war, historical fiction, with some non-fiction, fantasy, and slice-of-life/humor here and there. Also, I'm assuming that when you say "comics," you include manga and European comics, because manga and European comics make up anywhere between a third to half of what I'm reading, comics-wise, in any given month.
>>
>>81741373
Same here. 4 dollars + is too much for what...28 pages?
I don't buy single floppies much anymore. Getting back into hunting down old issues. If I buy new I try to get trades on good deals. I check out digital copies if there are good deals.
I love the fact there are people posting storytimes of comics I'd never check out otherwise.
I'm getting more into comic history too.
The appeal is definitely still there OP. The method of reading, time investment, and tastes have changed.
>>
>>81750582
>...28 pages?

20 pages, if you're referring to floppies.
>>
>>81745663
Not the guy you responded to, I do pirate. Mostly to get very old or very hard to find stuff, when I have the time, like what minifig posts. Other times it's to check out new stuff that looks interesting. If it's good enough I try to buy and support whose-ever work it is.
I look at it like this, if you enjoy their work, support them. Even a little bit helps. There isn't a whole lot of money to be made for most of the creators.
I came out of the hardcore music scene so I see it differently. And treat it the same way.
>>
>>81750853
20 pages story + 8 pages ads right?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.