[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i wanna have an X-thread, what are the good X Kid runs between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 22
File: meet the new xmen.jpg (928 KB, 903x683) Image search: [Google]
meet the new xmen.jpg
928 KB, 903x683
i wanna have an X-thread, what are the good X Kid runs between New Mutants and present?
>>
Who?
I don't recognize any of these characters.
Are they Inhumans?
>>
File: team.jpg (1 MB, 1172x1041) Image search: [Google]
team.jpg
1 MB, 1172x1041
>>81721971

New Mutants v2
New X-men
>>
>>81721971
How did they explain swapping out everyone but jean and scott?
>>
>>81722239

They got pissed and formed their own X-team
>>
>>81721971
I read the first x men today, magneto was featured but he just seemed like a run of the mill villain. No different than plant man or melting man
>>
>>81722239
Beast was on the Avengers and Angel and Iceman were on some other team, I think it was called The Champions

Also John Bynre just hated drawing Iceman which is why Angel and Beast show up in Dark Phoenix Saga, but not Bobby
>>
>>81722239
Beast was already an Avenger, Iceman and Angel moved to LA and started the Champions. (All three of them eventually ended up as New Defenders.)
>>
>>81722726
he has a based design, though
>>
File: Magneto_by_Yardin.png (181 KB, 250x353) Image search: [Google]
Magneto_by_Yardin.png
181 KB, 250x353
>>81722726
Crazy thing was, back when they first made Magneto the science on magnetism wasn't fully understood because of all the quantium mechanics involved, so his whole powerset was painfully weak until the writers got more of that book-learnin'.
Funfacts: Magnetism and electricity are the same function and all matter has an electromagnetic field.
So unlike most powercreeps, Magneto actually was underpowered from the start for no real reason and should have always been portrayed as powerful as his godly powered high-point.
>>
>>81728139
Well he did use his "magnetic personality" to sort of mind control Angel's parents
>>
the FIRST mindwipe
>>
>>81728333
Fun fact Xavier wasn't old, he was just bald as a side effect of his mutation. Part of his backstory about being in the Korean War would imply that he was only in his late 20's to early 30's

He seemed to really age up over time
>>
File: DC13698lgiantsized.jpg (74 KB, 330x394) Image search: [Google]
DC13698lgiantsized.jpg
74 KB, 330x394
>>81722239
There's also this weird thing where the original comic concept was "superhero-school"...
The original five were kids with superpowers. Basically it was The New Mutants before The New Mutants.
Amazingly this failed mega-hard. The book was almost cancelled before that GIANT-SIZED relaunch.
But when Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Sunfire, and Thunderbird joined up the concept was changed to "superhero United Nations".
Given that bigotry was already established as the common mutant issue, this made the coexistence themes all that much more poingant.
The U.N. doesn't have half it's roster full of 'Mericans, no matter what some on /co/ might post, so losing half the USAteam made metaphor sense.
>>
>>81728222
Don't quote the gag comic as canon again.
We all know that troll by now.
>>
>>81722039
My mutie... Goddamn I miss that team. Though all things considered it's probably a good thing that the majority of them are not being used at the moment.
>>
File: x-men 18.png (1 MB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
x-men 18.png
1 MB, 768x1024
>>81728515
No it's a real silver age issue. Here from Uncanny X-Men #18
>>
>>81728577
oof that art is really offputting
>>
Marvel Graphic Novel #4
New Mutants v1
X-Force #44-100
Maybe Lobdell's Generation X
New Mutants v2
New X-Men: Academy X
Nation X
X-Men: Divided We Stand
Wolverine & Jubliee
New Mutants v3 (originals as adults)
Spider-Man & the X-Men
X-Men: First Class (original team, but not shit)
Maybe Spurrier's X-Men Legacy? Legion's an adult but he's Xavier's son and Blindfold is the second-biggest character.

Definitely forgetting some minis at least.
>>
File: 220px-Profxy.png (122 KB, 220x205) Image search: [Google]
220px-Profxy.png
122 KB, 220x205
>>81728426
Truthy.
Those early issues had lots of bizarre flashbacks of Xavier's childhood when he only had a receding hairline.
>>
>>81728641
combover in 5th grade
>>
>>81728600
Yeah looked it up and it a guy named Werner Roth, seems like the old school kind of comics guy from the Golden Age that would take on multiple projects at once for the page rate without putting much care into quality. Another of the romance comics crowd that had to suddenly do superhero action
>>
>>81728577
I love Silver Age Magneto, he always looks and sounds like he's two seconds away from breaking everything in the room for absolutely no reason

Like there is literally nothing you can say to Silver Age Magneto that won't be met with "YOU WORTHLESS FOOL!" You can't even praise the guy without find snapping at you.
>>
>>81728612
How did we go from this quality of story telling to what we have today? Aaron and Bendis have nearly buried all the X-Men in a pile of shit so big now and their successors keep adding to it.

Can someone please tell me?
>>
>>81728724
That's how Stan Lee wrote his villains. Loki and Doom share a lot of traits with Magneto. Especially the "you fool" part
>>
>>81728732
>Aaron and Bendis have nearly buried all the X-Men in a pile of shit so big now and their successors keep adding to it.
I feel like you answered your own question.

It's all been downhill since Schism.
Marvel trying to make the Inhumans "a thing" before their movie gets close (while basically turning them into mutants) sure ain't helping.
>>
>>81728732
I don't think Marvel and DC are the big talent draw they used to be. So you end up with just the hardcore fanboys, people desperate to break into the industry, and the company men.
>>
>>81728732
>>81728798
Please stop shitposting in X-Men threads.
This crap has been repeated many times before and it's not contributing anything at all.
If you actually do want to sing the praises of issues and stories of the past, DO THAT.
If you just want to pick fights by badmouthing everything talked about, don't.
>>
>>81728922
Who are they picking fights with? Bendis an aaron personally? I don't see anybody disagreeing with them. I know I certainly agree.
>>
>>81728798
>Marvel trying to make the Inhumans "a thing" before their movie gets close (while basically turning them into mutants) sure ain't helping.

I don't get that. Why make Inhumans muties. Yeah, I understand the entire synergy crap, but come the hell on. You cannot write the Inhumans as muties. Because, let's face it, the Inhumans are foreign, both in their placing and how they should be written while Mutants are domestic, in the same way.

Inhumans have completely different values to humans and have their own culture. Sure, you make them persecuted and feared, but they would have to be feared as the world didn't know what the fuck to expect from this strange new race.

Why can't Marvel do that and not fuck with what other writers have done?
>>
>>81728724
>>81728760
He does sound exactly like classic Dr Doom.
>>
>>81728922
Okay, let's explain to you why we are all so goddamn mad about Aaron and Bendis. Unlike other writers like Austen who fucked up the X-Men, their works have not been retconned. In fact, other writers are using the same broken premises that those two pieces of shit made rather than fixing it and it's killing a once beloved franchise.

See, every X-Writer, who came before, Bendis and Aaron, even Austen understood the basic characteristics of what made each character in the franchise memorable and unique. They also understood that the X-Men were a team who were dedicated to bringing equality and loyal to each other and the world, even if it hated or feared them.

Yet when Bendis and Aaron come in, they shit all over what these writers have done. The work, the time and the effort that went into that writing is instead flushed down the drain as each of those hacks pushed their own pets forward, regardless of how badly it fucked over canon.Then Marvel rewarded that behavior and as a result, the writers who came after them did the same thing.

So no, I don't want to start a fight by badmouthing something. I want to understand how and why a franchise which people grew up with and loved is being given writers who clearly don't respect their audiences or the people who came before them.
>>
>>81728577
but that makes sense if he can manipulate the elcric signals and magnetic field in the brain.
>>
>>81728962
Telling X-fans on an X-thread that their X-comics are all "shit" is literally shitposting.
There's not many better examples of it.
You didn't have to go out of your way and come to post in this thread just to do that.
So stop doing that before you end up banned for it.
>>
>>81721971
The next New Mutants. The art is atrocious half the time, but it's a steady high school romp all the way until Kyle and Yost come along. Their run is much darker but arguably some characters benefited from it.
Gen-X is trash and so is most of what came out of it, but there are a few gems here and there that make everything worth it. Most are from Lobdell's run and Vaughan's take on Chamber.
>>81729485
So what? OP asks about the good X-runs and your first instinct is to complain about the bad ones? Fuck off.
>>
>>81729485
It sounds like you want people to agree with you, and everybody does and has for a long time.
>>
>>81728922
And fapping to Silver Age contributes? Fuck off.
>>
>>81729540
There were plenty of good modern comics posted in this thread. Suck a dick.
>>
>>81729528
Well I didn't go out of my way, you can even go over to javascript:quote('81729237') and see that I am in fact an X-fan.
>>
>>81729540
you aren't that bright
>>
>>81729559
obviously that didin't work. lets try this >>81729259
>>
>>81722239
They quit now that Xavier had new team to help protect the world.
Beast got a job, grew fur, and joined the Avengers
Angel and Iceman went to the west coast, the latter for college. They became founding members of the Champions.
All three eventually became the part of the "new" Defenders before forming X-Factor when Jean came out of her healing coma.
>>
>>81729588
Can anybody track down the specific issues of avengers/champions/defenders?
>>
>>81728577
It would be interesting to see that being pulled up again in a latter story, where Magneto is being held captive in a room without anything metal. The villain goes in to taunt him as most villains do and Magneto uses that ability, when the villain asks what Magneto could possibly do to hurt them.
>>
>>81729603
Avengers #137
The Champions #1
Defenders #125

Took like 3 minutes.
>>
Looking to get into the ANAD X-Books. Are these all of them?

Uncanny X-Men
Extraordinary X-Men
All New X-Men
All New Wolverine
Old Man Logan
>>
>>81729517
He's got some pretty good mind shielding, too, an can project an astral form. So he's at least a bit of a telepath.

"Theoretically" being able to do all that because MAGNETS is one thing, but mastering all that stuff is what makes him formidable.
>>
>>81729664
dang, thanks for saving me 3 minutes.
>>
>>81729721
Yes, although Uncanny Avengers does have Cable, Deadpool, and Rogue in it.
>>
>>81729721
You forgot Uncanny Inhumans and Uncanny Avengers, because technically Beast and Rogue are in them.
>>
File: 1458982767143.jpg (348 KB, 990x1506) Image search: [Google]
1458982767143.jpg
348 KB, 990x1506
>>81729603
I can't, but they were really early Avengers issues, like #70 had Beast on the team.
I think they were founding members of the Champions and Defenders so again, early issues.
>>
>>81729824
OH jeez I didn't realize they were in defenders for that long. I probably won't be adding that to my collection.
>>
>>81729814
>>81729779
>Inhumans
No thanks. Will check out Uncanny Avengers
>>
>>81729824
>>81729836
They weren't founding members of the Defenders, Beast just reformed the team when Hulk, Strange, Namor, and Norrin dissolved the team because of a prophecy.
>>
>>81729846
It's been good, you might want to pick up the two issues of all new all different Standoff Issues. it's been a pretty entertaining event.
>>
>>81729824
Avengers #70 was a Squadron Sinister issue and came out in 1969, Beast didn't even have fur back then.
>>
>>81729860
I thought Namor,Strange,Hulk, and 'Surfer were just the latest lineup in that "all new" Defenders drawn by Cho?
>>
>>81729824
I need a Defenders rec list.
>>
>>81728461
>Amazingly this failed mega-hard
it's something of a meme, as the comic had a relative cult status. Do you know what failed mega-hard? Hulk that was cancelled after 6 issues
>>
>>81728612
I miss Spider-man & the X-men
>>
>>81729664
So these are...when these characters first appear...when do they stop appearing?
>>
>>81728673
he was popular back then.
nowadays, no one even has a photo of him
>>
>>81729952
I read all six issues, the writers were having a tough time coming up with villains. One of them was a Carny who hypnotized people in a town so he could take their stuff. However it was better issue to issue than Ant-Man or Thor was.
>>
>>81729932
Nope, they were the originals.
>>
>>81730022
The thing is, X-Men had their own mag, and still has, while Doctor Strange, iron man, Ant-Man, Thor debuted in different magazines, and they didn't have their own ongoing in the early days.

X-Men wasn't a hit, but it wasn't a fail either. Back then marvel was doing a lot of reprints, but X-Men are notorious for the longest streak of reprint issues (27) in a row.
>>
As much as I liked X-Men I really can only enjoy it when I imagine it taking place in a different universe than the actual Marvel universe. Since it makes so little sense why people like Fantastic Four and other heroes are so beloved but some reason mutants are hated.
>>
>>81729957
>So these are...when these characters first appear
No, those are the teams they joined after Giant-Size X-Men #1, they had appearances between leaving the X-Men and joining them though.
>>
>>81729957
addendum: the last "Cover" of avengers I can find that has beast on it is, 239
>>
File: 1455526704162.jpg (88 KB, 419x625) Image search: [Google]
1455526704162.jpg
88 KB, 419x625
>>81729956
They had the perfect setup all lined up for him to be a full-time X-teacher. They even brought back Firestar. <3
>>
>>81730071
Sorry I worded that poorly, but I meant that's when they start to appear in those titles. It wasn't meant to be a unique statement but to just re-affirm what I was reading.
>>
>>81730100
Yes.
>>
>>81730097
there was an amazing friends story in amazing x-men. the less said, though...
>>
I would make you folks a chart, but
1) I'm at work
2) I'm lazy
3) I'd rather fap than bother with making the charts
>>
>>81730070
Regular people probably view the Fantastic Four as a group of scientists and astronauts.
Before Marvel decided to turn Reed into a 24/7 dick, he could probably be seen as a sort of Bill Nye. Think about that.
>>
File: 1455420711860.jpg (161 KB, 582x666) Image search: [Google]
1455420711860.jpg
161 KB, 582x666
>>81729952
Hulk gave us Wolverine.
There is no greater contribution to X-comics than that.
And from Wolverine came the Weapon X stories.
And then Laura.<3
Puny Banner could never have done that! Rrraargh!
>>
>>81730206
to be honest, i hate wolverine so much
that i wouldn't mind if he didn't exist.
if not for wolverine, some other x-man would be a breakthrough;
either nightcrawler or colossus
maybe not as successful, but still
>>
>>81730164
I was just pointing out one group of heroes but the same thing can be said about all super heroes that are beloved in some fashion. Most people don't really know heroes origin so for all they know they are all mutants. So if everything is true in the X-Men all super heroes should be as hated as any other mutants.
>>
>>81730164
Regular people at least in early silver age viewed FF as national heroes. One of the earlier issues involved them receiving a presidential award.
>>
>>81730222
If Wolverine didn't exist we wouldn't have Laura and to be honest, when he is done right, Wolverine is a good character, if not a good person.
>>
File: 1455858961100-2.jpg (231 KB, 640x918) Image search: [Google]
1455858961100-2.jpg
231 KB, 640x918
>>81730070
Bigotry doesn't make sense by nature.
Take for example sports franchises, there's plenty of teams that are reviled as evil incarnate by their competitors to the point where violence occurs when two different sets of fans are in too close company. It's a fucking game. But people will swear up and down that other people even loosely associated with that team are somehow inherently corrupt.

Is it so unbelievable that an origin of super-abilities would create just as much alienation?
Then add in the element of tribalism with the distinction that separate species identification brings.
>>
>>81730065
>X-Men are notorious for the longest streak of reprint issues (27) in a row.
Within its own title, sure. But to my knowledge, having read every Marvel title up through 1973 so far, Marvel has at no other time reprinted long stretches like that - it was a DC technique to do all-reprints within that reprint's own parent title (ie X-Men in X-Men).

There are many reprints from that era that were longer though - Marvel Super/Triple Action, for instance, were both what, 40+ issues? 70s Conan got reprints through a near-100 issue run in Conan Saga too, and Classic X-Men had a 100+ issue run of reprints that collected nearly a decade of Claremont, with only two omissions.
>>
>>81730383
I get that I'm just saying it's weird reading X-Men about how everyone hates them and laws are trying to be past just for them. While in every other book it doesn't really effect anyone else. I just felt it much more easier to read if X-Men take place in a universe outside of the normal Marvel universe.
>>
>>81730228
>national heroes
And let's not even get started on the team headed by Captain America.

>>81730254
>when he is done right, Wolverine is a good character, if not a good person.
>if not a good person
Nah, proper Claremont Wolverine turned out a major bro.
...With the occasional INCREDIBLY shitty slips because go figure, now that I think about it.
>>
>>81730422
In all fairness, laws IRL are stupid as well.
That's one of the reasons the X-Men told Tony to go screw himself right away in civil war. They knew firsthand EXACTLY where that kind of law would take things.
>>
>>81730228
The Avengers and FF are still seen as human, fundamentally.
Hell, I remember when I first heard of Thor, I asked myself;
"How can he be a superhero? He's not even human. Why would you trust him to save you?"

>>81730254
Bastards of the highest order make the best characters.
Don't believe me? Just think about Dr.DOOM... or half of Shakespeare's most memorable characters for that matter.
>>
>>81730513
Funny since Beast was part of the Avengers
>>
File: 4be92733b4ccb.jpg (348 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
4be92733b4ccb.jpg
348 KB, 1280x960
>>81728565

I know this get's said a lot but, it's really sad that what I hope for my favorite characters the most these days is for them to fade into limbo.
>>
>>81730422
do you know that spider-man is called a menace?
some folks even think that he might be a mutie

how many times FF was thrown out of baxter building.

do you know what happened when citizens learned about SW / Vision romance? they burned their house.

read more comics anon
>>
>>81730206
>And then Laura.<3

>>81730254

>If Wolverine didn't exist we wouldn't have Laura

FUCK OFF, WINGBAT!
>>
>>81730529
and he got regular shit by humans as well
google the Avengers issue written by Steven Gerber
it basically starts with some drunk rich dude coming to Beast at some party and calling him a disgusting ape
>>
>>81730254
nothing of value would be lost.
do you know how many waifus x-men have?
>>
File: APR150762.jpg (121 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
APR150762.jpg
121 KB, 659x1000
>>81730422
I've heard that X-Only Universe idea posted before and it's pure stupidity.
The most insidious aspect of bigotry is the casual dismissing of another's suffering.
The Weapon X program, the Sentinels, the Friends of Humanity, the Purifiers, the constant genocidal threats against the mutant race...
The biggest example of bigotry against the mutants was the Avengers ignoring all their suffering until Magneto, or Onslaught, or The Phoenix was a threat to someone who wasn't a mutant.
And then come the villifications, it's "yet another" problem that mutants created, that they deserved ... not the rest of US...
>>
>>81730677
here's the deal. it was never a problem before.
EVERY franchise had their own corner of the universe. That's also what made the occasional interacton cool

Nowadays everyone is an avenger. It sucks.

Then quesada came. then events started, then mcu took off. Nowadays, anything not mcu is considered passe
>>
>>81730677
>two wolves
got a chuckle
>>
>>81730677
But what do we do when the bigotry stems from from the people who create and manage them? If we were to free them from their universe that imprisons them in their own continuous torture land.
>>
>>81730751
You mean the victim-blaming justification of persecution?
Is that what you think FORCES people to hate those who are different from them?
>>
>>81730697
>Nowadays everyone is an avenger.
>Then quesada came
Reverse the order in these and I think you found your problem.
>>
>>81730834
I don't think his comments were meant to chronological.
>>
>>81730834
I hope you get the point, though
>>
>>81730921
Oh yeah, I'm not the guy you were answering to.
I usually have no problem with the X-Men stories being set in regular Marvel universe.

Though in some occasions, like Thor's part in Mutant Massacre, it feels weird.
>>
File: AUG120680.jpg (28 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
AUG120680.jpg
28 KB, 400x600
>>81730834
Teams need core membership.
Like how Cap, Thor, and IronMan are the Avengers.
Sure, you can add others to the lineup but without at least one of those three the team doesn't feel right.
The Fantastic Four went too far, their lineup was too rigid and too exclusive.
But the X-Men have gone too far in the other direction, everyone mutant is an X-Man since "Decimation".
Who's the core team?
OG Cyke and OG Logan are dead(ish), Jeanie ain't coming back, Professor X is ghosted a la plot-twist, these guys just aren't in the lineup anymore.
The X-Men have lost their identity.
>>
>>81730957
Thor being part of MM was due to Simonson being husband of X-Men editor. why do you think Power Pack was so connected to New Mutants / X-Factor and to some extent, X-Men?
>>
>>81730973
I dunno man, haven't read newer X-Men in a while. Since a computer crash in... early 2012?
Might catch up with Yost's run, heard he brought back one of my favorite line-ups back then.
I guess they're still using Mohawk!Storm somewhere and... I dunno, Psylocke? I'm mostly waiting to see if the "All-new, all-different" trend fucks off already to even bother again.
Also, screw Jean being dead, it was one of the few things they didn't fixafer that crappy run. It's been WAY too long.

>>81730982
Daaamn. That does explain a lot, wtf.
Still not remotely as bad as Kitty x Starlord shipping
>>
>>81731126
Jean isn't really interesting
>>
File: Jean1455779207828shrunk.jpg (181 KB, 700x576) Image search: [Google]
Jean1455779207828shrunk.jpg
181 KB, 700x576
>>81731166

Why is this a thing?
Dangerously crazy redheads are many things, but boring isn't one of them.
Just those rare little "Is Jean losing it again?" dialogs were superfun.
And any scene where Scott had to talk her down from the DarkPhoenix ledge was manna.
This generation has missed out.
>>
>>81731166
Jean, Scott and any of their kids interacting always gets interesting.

The fact Jean got Madelyne's memories at one point, plus stuff from Phoenix, gives potential for even more fun.
>>
>>81731317
because name me one good Jean story that is not about Phoenix. She is like Uncle Ben
>>
>>81731414
>Uncle Ben
cmon now
>>
>>81731360
Yeah, if you're into that kind of thing.
But no one really knows how to advance Jeannie
Even Scott, who used to be considered dull and boring got phenomenal character development.
>>
>>81731428
Yeah. She is an insipration for X-Men, and to make them feel angsty.

You already have teen jean in EXM, and she basically sucks. I mean, what would you do with her, if you were a writer?
>>
>>81731429
>Even Scott, who used to be considered dull and boring by casuals
FTFY
>>
>>81731429
I hate to give HIM praise , but Morrison had a good thing going with her before he killed her off.
She was becoming all alien weirdo chick because her powers were going so far beyond where everyone else was.
It worked for her, you got the sense that she was finally being the ultra-creepy psi-mutant archtype she resisted becoming for so long.
Sort of a humanizing by stripping her of her humanity.
>>
File: AUG150754.jpg (18 KB, 388x600) Image search: [Google]
AUG150754.jpg
18 KB, 388x600
>>81731466
Me?
I like Iceman finally being outed...
BUT...
I LOVE the idea of Jean casually abusing her powers to change the core of who people are.
She should go on a "change-the-world" spree, one mind at a time.
And let's see how long it takes her before she notices how evil she had become!
That's how I would write her.
>>
>>81731126
2012 was a good time to stop. Read Uncanny Vol. 2 I guess, but don't read anything post AvsX
>>
>>81731596
Kindof like how she changed bobby because she's a fag hag?
>>
>>81731522
maybe they were casuals, but nowadays Rightclops is hot.

>>81731528
>Morrison
People shouldn't overpraise GM. He had some nice ideas and concepts, but both execution as well as the final two arcs left me soured
>>
>>81731596
As in, a villain?
>>
>>81731602
Not even PAD's-Factor and Spurrier's Legacy / X-Force? Sure, the art sucks, but the writing makes up for it.
>>
>>81731610
Go read those way-back issues of the Champions and the Defenders.
You'll find Jean's gay-ray was retroactive.
>>
>>81731631
It worked for Scott.
>>
>>81731643
Spurriors legacy and x-force were pretty good, those were the comics that made me check out his new boom run "The Spire" (it's pretty garbage).

I just think it's easier to quit cold turkey.

>>81731655
I would be nobody would answer me when I asked for the specific issue #'s they were in for those comics.
>>
>>81731667
Hm. Good point. She needs a better cause (maybe start sect of Phoenix), and who knows?
>>
>>81731684
How is that not a great cause?
You have the power to change bad people into good people...
What would you do with that power?

>>81731673
I don't think you need specific issue #s, the best way to grab up those old stories is in the softcover collections, and they backcover what's expected to be in the book.
>>
>>81731726
I was thinking about spicing it up.
You know, a little s&m...
Some abuse there..
Add some religious aspect...
And we might be onto something
>>
File: DirtyThoughts_1458774450169.jpg (70 KB, 356x281) Image search: [Google]
DirtyThoughts_1458774450169.jpg
70 KB, 356x281
>>81731743
You've got a sick, sick mind... Jean will have to do something about that...
>>
>>81731726
>I don't think you need specific issue #s
then you are mistaken.
>>
>>81731790
Hopefully. I'm all wet.

Anyway, another idea would be Jean's Psi Store
-brain wipe $50
-erasing trauma $500
-changing sexuality $100
-fixing memory $200
-consultation $10
also, if you get 3 mind wipes in a week, you get a plushie cat for free
>>
>>81731847
>also, if you get 3 mind wipes in a week, you get a plushie cat for free
How'd you remember though?
>>
>>81731880
that's the point.

Also, I request Jean Grey doing shekelberg gesture
>>
>>81730606
Agreed. Personally, against my better judgement, I'm hoping that Julian will get a few good stories with the Inhumans. I also think that he would have a really good dynamic with Ahura, due to their similarities and how they could help each other.

I can see Julian mockingly referring to Ahura as 'Hamlet' and Ahura being confused about where the origin of the name comes from.
>>
File: -Chi-Sweet-.jpg (38 KB, 429x443) Image search: [Google]
-Chi-Sweet-.jpg
38 KB, 429x443
>>81731847
... - plushie cat fetish $500

- not realizing that you have a plushie cat fetish after your mindwipe ... PRICELESS.
>>
>>81731880
Not him, but you DON'T. That's the evil part!

>>81731643
>PAD's Factor
Well reminded, I don't think I finished reading the run from back then, even. I was enjoying it a lot.

>>81731619
>People shouldn't overpraise
I don't see reason for praise, period. Can't remember an interesting idea or concept from his run.

>maybe they were casuals, but nowadays Rightclops is hot
Wasn't thinking of current Rightclops, but as far as Utopia Rightclops? It was still in accord with classic Cyclops.
>>
>>81731822
They'll mention new team members being added in the summary of a collection volume.
>>
>>81732026
>I don't see reason for praise, period. Can't remember an interesting idea or concept from his run.
Oh, but I agree. People praise GM like he was a second coming while he destroyed an interesting status quo (Magneto as the President of Genosha), and rehashed Evil Xavier, Phoenix, Magneto revealing himself, DOFP, Sentinels, Weapon X crap.

He did add U-Men, Sublime and made X-Men actual school. But otherwise not much going on. And let's not forget the art...

It was either quite frankly a potatoheads, or Kordey rushing his work like a maniac, because he thought that he had deadlines
>>
File: 1460114909175.jpg (174 KB, 806x960) Image search: [Google]
1460114909175.jpg
174 KB, 806x960
>>81732026
Rightclops always had a little bit of the Right' in him even way back when.
Issue #1 had him blast through Magneto's forcefield with the lowest visor setting of optic blast.
The trick to the character is that he's always repressing his full potential, even as Phoenixclops.
We the readers have never seen him for who he could be, only who he allows himself to be.
That leaves us wanting more.
>>
>>81732083
>rehashed Sentinels
That's one of the initial offenses. Nothing wrong with bringing them back, it's an X-Men comic, they're expected.

But you know what else is expected? That, if there are Sentinels, YOU GET TO SEE AN ACTUAL FIGHT AGAINST THEM. A COOL ONE. But no, guess we're all in this for some acid trippy psychedelic crap, right?

>Weapon X rehash
That whole thing stank SO HARD. But hey, he got to introduce his totally awesome OCDNs which seduces Jean and is an advanced Weapon X and did I mention is so awesome and... frankly sucks. Also got to kill Darkstar while at it because just screw it.

>U-Men
Is it those humans using mutant body parts? Ehhhh not a lot of future in that concept, too much for shock value. Probably overlaps with a bunch of stories from the same timeframe featuring Mr Sinister or whatever.

>evil Xavier clone
Don't even get me started...

I don't really recall what is "Sublime".

Notable mentions of secondary mutations (personally I found it downright stupid and it didn't even get much use, fortunately), Genosha getting wiped out (that sorta happened a couple years earlier, when the mutants were depowered some humans revolted and killed a lot over there), and that whole mutant baby boom (wasn't it easier to just leave a lot of Genosha intact and use those characters?! Maybe even set the stories there?!).

>And let's not forget the art...
Won't criticize, a lot of people like it, it seems? Subjective, etc etc
Personally, didn't like it either
>>
File: star18508.jpg (21 KB, 393x600) Image search: [Google]
star18508.jpg
21 KB, 393x600
>>81732083
I still contend that Sublime is a rehash rip-off of the Shadow King concept.
And the U-Men were never viable. The idiotic imagery was enough to tank that idea. Plus, just another Purifier cult, but with a gimmick.
And The New Mutants, Gen X, fuck... The Hellions were the school concept first.
His work is slight-of-hand, it's never as original as his presentation.
>>
>>81732211
That's why I said, casuals considered him dull and boring.
Dude literally told sentinels to go take a dive in the sun, and they went for it.
>>
>>81732343
He probably thought it was original, I recall reading he hadn't read X-Men before being invited to write the book.
What kind of retard of an editor even considers that viable?!
>>
>>81732317
I agree with your criticism.
What made U-Men interesting imo, was that they were a new fraction, hipsters, and wannabe muties.
Now, I agree that the execution was edgy (hi, No-Girl), but toned down, it could be refreshing to see humans, who AREN'T afraid of mutants, but JEALOUS. So I have to give this one to that bald scot.

I hate the meme, where Sublime is used as an excuse for humans hating mutants. Instead I am pushing Shadow King as the ultimate evil responsible.

Secondary mutations made X-Men even more convoluted, which should be rather avoided.

>>81732343
Believe it or not, but Byrne was the one, who created a living mutant virus in his West Coast Avengers. No one knows if GM did it on purpose, or was it coincidence
>>
>>81732369
Well, it gave us X-Statix and Ultimate X-Men.
The thing is not, whether someone is well versed with the X-Men, but whether someone respects the source material and has good intentions.

Otherwise you get writers who have a hard on for deconstruction of the X-Men and who won't rest, until they ruin and burn every thing to the ground
>>
>>81732518
>Well, it gave us X-Statix
Not a fan at all, here, though. Kinda surprised they occasionally reference in regular continuity.

>and Ultimate X-Men
I think I enjoyed the first arc, back then, if only because I thought it was better than the movie at least.

>>81732502
>it could be refreshing to see humans, who AREN'T afraid of mutants, but JEALOUS
...I'll give it that.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.