[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney/Pixar's Mid-2000's Slump
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: worstdisneymovie.jpg (286 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
worstdisneymovie.jpg
286 KB, 1000x1500
From about 2004-2006, Disney pretty much completely sucked. Home on the Range and Chicken Little are widely considered some of (if not THE) worst movies Disney's ever made, Even Pixar hit the slump as well with Cars in 2006, though this may be more of an anomaly since the movies before and after it (2004's Incredibles and 2007's Ratatouille) were actually good.

Why do you think this happened? What lead to such a steep drop in quality? And what do you think helped bring them out of this slump? Or did you actually enjoy any of the films made around this time? If so, why?
>>
I think it was because Dreamworks was starting to deal well with its shitty lowest common denominator stuff, and Disney decided they'd try to jump on that train. Chicken Little definitely feels more like a Dreamworks movie than a Disney movie, at least.
>>
Home on the Range I thought was intentionally shitty as an excuse to kill off 2D, but then that doesn't explain Chicken Little being 500 times worse.
>>
I guess they thought that audience tastes at the time were so shit that something like chicken little is what they actually wanted. Did the movie even flop, or was it actually a success?
>>
Financially Mars needs moms was the lowest point of Disneys slump.

Didn't see it so I can't judge if it was a bad animated movie.

Also OP mixes up Disney and Pixar too much. Those "anomalies" were both Pixar while the sucky movies were both Disney.

Seems pretty clear to me.

You could argue that Cars 2/Planes are Pixars deepest dips in quality.

Hard to judge because the Cars target demographic is more little kid oriented and less inclusive to adults than the average Pixar fare.
>>
>>81713545
I don't really know why, but some of my hs classmates back then sounded like this movie was big and highly rated. They even printed it on shirts as a class project thing. I didn't really know it was out at that time, and only heard of the movie through them.

I always thought the duck was fucking ugly, but never told anyone. I guess that was the point of her design (not to be judged by looks?), but I always felt mean thinking she's butt ugly.
>>
>>81714584
She was literally an ugly duckling dude of course that was the point
>>
>>81713735
I still think that Shrek is a genuinely good movie.
>>
>>81714702
Is that supposed to be a rare opinion? Because I thought everyone thought the Shrek movies were good.
>>
>>81714761
definitely not rare. the whole reason shrek became a joke was because it was so well-known having been good, popular, and successful, that po-mo kicked in and folks started deconstructing it and realizing how fucking weird the main character is and how strange and stupid some of the more unimportant aesthetic choices were, like smashmouth
>>
>>81714462
Was Mars Needs Moms even Disney? It's not part of the Canon.
>>
>>81714925
>that po-mo kicked in and folks started deconstructing it and realizing how fucking weird the main character is and how strange and stupid some of the more unimportant aesthetic choices were, like smashmouth
I didn't know this happened
>>
>>81714761
A lot of people seem to like the first two, especially Shrek 2. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention 3 or 4 after they were released.
>>
Shit, forgot because of how shit this movie is.

Stream on as part of a M-W-F Disney/Pixar marathon. Tonight is Chicken Little, Cars, and Enchanted.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>81715249
Yeah I was talking about 1 and 2. I can't remember much about 3, though I remember there was that nephew, and 4 had babies. I wish they did more with the nephew.
>>
>>81715397
I'm there but my internet decided to fuck up this morning
>>
Chicken Little is finally over. Cars coming up.
>>
>>81714462
Planes wasn't Pixar, it was DisneyToon
>>
>>81713545
>Even Pixar hit the slump as well with Cars in 2006
I'll honestly never understand the hatred for this movie, yeah it's not Pixar's best but it's still a pretty good movie, much rather watch it over snoozefest like Wall-E and Up.
>>
File: 1430096515379.gif (58 KB, 752x752) Image search: [Google]
1430096515379.gif
58 KB, 752x752
>>81719249

>wall-e
>bad

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>81719249
Cars is way more boring than Wall-E or Up.
>>
>>81713545
I firmly believe Home on the Range is not that bad.
Five Disney movies worse than Home on the Range:
1. Chicken Little
2. Make Mine Music
3. Dinosaur
4. The Rescuers
5. Brother Bear
I could probably go to ten but the picks would be more controversial.
>>
Enchanted is coming up.
>>
>>81714954
Disney distributed it and they were half-owners of the studio that made it which probably doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>>81721826
>controversial
Rustle me

inb4 Black Cauldron, Basil or Robin Hood.
>>
File: upset dog.gif (2 MB, 400x310) Image search: [Google]
upset dog.gif
2 MB, 400x310
>>81721826
>Dinosaur
>Bad
What.The. Hell. Please explain
>>
>>81721826
>Brother Bear
It didn't look as atrocious as HotR.

I actually like Brother Bear now. I liked the struggle of the antagonist.
>>
>>81722439
6. Rescuers Down Under
7. Saludos Amigos
8. Treasure Planet
9. Dumbo
10. Lady & The Tramp
>>
>>81722904
I 100% disagree with #8 but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
>>
>>81722904
What with #8 do you not like?

That annoying side character? fair.
Entire plot being ripped straight from the book? fair.
Babies ever after ending? fair.
The fact the setting didn't really make sense? fair.

But these things are either pretty much plainly stated or because it's a Disney movie. And anyway, it's more solidly held together than the movie it competed against (which is also an okay movie in it's own right.)
>>
Everything leading up to the 2008 financial crash was shit because of terrible management.
>>
>>81719249
>Wall-E
>bad
That said only the first half was good
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.