[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've really liked what I've read of Shazam over the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I've really liked what I've read of Shazam over the past few years. What are the chances of them ever doing a proper Shazam solo book?

Also are there any recommend runs of the old Captain Marvel/Shazam comics? I know he originally wasn't part of DC until they bought the publisher, any of those Golden Age stories worth reading?
>>
This is what I get for posting on /tv2/ around a trailer release.
>>
I liked the Power of Shazam mini and ongoing in the 90s

Supposedly they're holding off on giving him a new book until Johns is free, but I guess we'll see. Nothing was announced in the Rebirth lineup for him.
>>
>>81704860
Thunderworld, Convergence power of shazam.

The golden age stuff is fine. Brighter and more imaginative than anything contemporary with that period. But Ordway POS was good. So was Bone's mini. DC knows what it needs to make Cap work, they just don't like HOW Cap works.

Winnick, Didio, Johns all have MASSIVE hate boners for the original concept.
>>
>>81704860
>Shazam
Sorry, you spelled Captain Marvel wrong. Shazam is the person who gave Captain Marvel his powers but there are no solo comics about him unless I'm mistaken.
>>
The Golden Age stuff is supposed to be great and probably pretty easy to find online free cause public domain.

Anyone know if the Ordway run is good?
>>
>>81705661
Wasn't Freddie the wizard for a while post-IC?
>>
>>81704860

>Solid crossbar on top of the net

REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 5693dc3aba0f9.jpg (94 KB, 553x850) Image search: [Google]
5693dc3aba0f9.jpg
94 KB, 553x850
>>81705661
Oh no, there's a Captain Marvel ongoing.
>>
>>81705752
No. Billy was Lord Marvel.
Then he got back to being Captain marvel when the gods left during Final Crisis. And then he went back to the rock of eternity.
>>
>>81705667
just above you the poster said it was. It was.
>>
>>81705638
>Another person completely hateboners Johns
We get it, it's not your shazam
>>
>>81704860
>>81705638
Thunderworld is really good and the Shazam Convergence is excellent. Power of Shazam, YMMV but then again, I though the trade of the JL back ups that they released as Shazam v1 was poorly written but >>81705638 is probably right, it might because DC, Didio and Johns all hate the original concept. I especially didn't like how ordinary and sullen/distasteful Johns made Billy in the trade. If a magical wizard is going to be shown picking and rejecting every other schmoe, why end up selecting Billy, versus rejecting him? There was no reason for him to become Shazam. I also think he's been poorly used in say WAR, Throne, and especially Trinity War and Forever Evil.

I do like him with Victor and think they should have made Cyborg a team up/buddy book.

I highly recommend the JEFF SMITH mini, which is The Monster Society of Evil, which is what >>81705638 probably meant by the Bone mini since Smith is responsible for the BONE books.
>>
>>81706797
Oh, did the johnsfag get triggered.
>>
>>81707739
definitely what I meant
>>
>>81705661
Different universe, different name, faggot. It's not like they retconned his name, they still call him Captain Marvel when it's his older incarnation, but in the post-Flashpoint universe, he's Shazam. Deal with it gramps. I'll get off your lawn now.
>>
>>81707739
>I though the trade of the JL back ups that they released as Shazam v1 was poorly written
It most certainly was not. I understand I'm in the minority of people who are willing to entertain an entirely new take on a character, but be a little more subjective. Don't say it was poorly written, because it wasn't. You just don't like new concept, that's all.

Quite honestly, I found it refreshing, and really, the message is still the same. New Billy is a brat on the outside, but that's only realistic. I mean, how many orphans would be as fucking saccharine-sweet as original Billy? No home, no parents, but still the PERFECT little boy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the original character and love most of the older stuff that I've read, but god damn, it's antiquated. The point of new Billy is that on the inside, he's still the same kid. He stands up for what's right and doesn't like to see people take advantage of others. I really loved the take, and I think people should give it a read before dismissing it just because of "not muh".

>>81704860
>What are the chances of them ever doing a proper Shazam solo book?
I dunno. There certainly is an audience for it. I've enjoyed him a lot, too, but he keeps getting the shaft. I'm pretty much reading Justice League just for the one or two pages where he makes an appearance each month. I was considering picking up the Cyborg ongoing if he was going to make regular appearances, but it seems like he doesn't. I really thought they should have gotten a team-up book.

I know the ideal team for his ongoing is Johns/Frank, but I really liked the Darkseid War one-shot he got, written by Steve Orlando. What's he doing since Midnighter got canned?
>>
>>81710526

The ideal team is Parker/Shane.

As for Billy, it's plausible for him to be bitter about a lot of things, but the difference betwen classic and new version is that he didn't use to take it out on others, especially when it wasn't their damn fault. He was still a resourceful kid who managed to bargain himself into a job, which was a cunning way to use some street smarts a hard life would have armed him with.

Also, I love this take on young Batson, these guys get it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIuK_r0kcQg
>>
>>81714062
Yeah, but Parker/Shaner are doing Future Quest
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.