[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've only read a handful of Batman comics, but I was wondering,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 3567589-batman_tas_alfred.jpg (37 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
3567589-batman_tas_alfred.jpg
37 KB, 800x600
I've only read a handful of Batman comics, but I was wondering, has there ever been a Batman story that went into why Alfred was so loyal to the Waynes? Like, I get why he would be loyal to Bruce after essentially raising him, but what kept him so attached to the family in the first place?
>>
I always assumed that he was a loyal guy in general and after seeing the Waynes shot, he felt responsible for the poor kid who had just lost his parents and who probably had people trying to get in on his inheritance.
And yeah, after raising him he felt like a dad in a way.
Kind of fucked up that he's his servant I guess.
>>
>>81692062
I always just assumed that all his family had died and he had nothing else to live for.
>>
>>81692088
Did Bruce ever truly treat him like a servant? I'd say he was more of a friend who took care of him.
>>
Alfred wanted a career in theater but apparently he wasn't "pretty enough" so he decided to join the British equivalent of the Marine core as a field doctor. After he got sick of the firefights he took a quiet job as the Wayne Family Butler because every Butler before him quit because Bruce was too much for them to handle.
>>
>>81692110
>ive been shot, fix me up
>go get me some food
>take care of this boy while im fighting crime
>call up that girl i was supposed to see, cancel it
>pick me up in my limo after that party i have to go to
>etc etc
>>
>>81692062
He's actually Babs in disguise.
>>
>>81692127
Was this in a specific comic or show?
>>
>>81692144

This is Alfred's new transgression ala New 52
>>
>tfw no alfred comic
We got Gotham Central, so why not?
>>
>>81692144

It's almost constant in anything that divulges into his history. His past doesn't come up to much really.
>>
>>81692169

The only time we ever know anything about Alfred was in the Nolan movies.
>>
>>81692184
A TANGERINE
>>
>>81692090
OP is asking why Alfred was loyal before Bruce became an orphan

I believe PC Alfred is because of his father's, Jarvis Pennyworth who was the Wayne's butler before, dying wishes that he take his place.

New52 is something similar, but the connection between Jarvis and the Wayne family remains the same
>>
>>81692184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggfpT6tOFaA
>>
>>81692216

Flashpoint Paradox leads us to believe after Martha went insane and Thomas took the role of the bat...there is no Alfred

It's like how if Uncle Ben had lived, Peter would have become an obnoxious douchbag asshole leaving Ben homeless
>>
>>81692062

Alfred lived a pretty eventful and storied life already before he became a butler, and he was pretty close with the Waynes. They trusted him with Bruce, the most important thing in their lives, and treated him with dignity.

Not only is he repaying that trust and friendship, but he wanted to do his best to help Bruce through his grief, and they grew really close as a result. He knew that he was all Bruce had, and while he initially protested to his "mission," he eventually came to believe in it himself.
>>
File: 1417626230286[1].jpg (184 KB, 575x781) Image search: [Google]
1417626230286[1].jpg
184 KB, 575x781
>>
>>81692230
God, imagine a speech like that in a Snyder film. It would feel so out of place.
>>
Born under the name of Alfred Beagle, he grew up in England and joined the army once he became of age. He served in various conflicts all over the world, gaining skill as a field medic. After retiring from the army he became an actor, and later a teacher for the MI5, instructing its agents in subterfuge through the use of stagecraft.[1] During this time Alfred received a special mission, loaning his services to the MI7. After this mission ended, Alfred was forced to retire from service, adopt a new identity and move to the United States of America. Alfred legally changed his last name to Pennyworth and started working as a butler for the Wayne Family.[2]

After several months, Alfred voices the desire to return home to continue acting. However, these plans are forgotten when young Master Wayne returns home from school early after being bullied. Alfred teaches Bruce how to defeat the bully strategically rather than using brute force. Armed with Alfred's tutelage, young Bruce manages to take care of his bully problem. Alfred stays on as the family butler at Bruce's request.

After the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Alfred was named Bruce's legal guardian, however, social services combated the will thinking that Bruce should not be raised by a servant. However, Bruce managed to remain in Alfred's care by, despite his young age, bribing the social service agent into allowing Alfred to raise him.[citation needed]

Alfred raises young Bruce Wayne together with Dr. Leslie Thompkins a close friend and colleague of Thomas Wayne. Later, Bruce decided to travel abroad and Alfred stayed at Wayne Manor and begins a short lived romance with Dr. Leslie Tompkins.
>>
>>81692216
>dying wishes that he take his place.
See, THAT to me sounds more depressing than him being a servant to the person he cares most about. It wasn't even his decision to be a butler.
>>
>>81692243
>that AU where Ben lived and Peter stayed a Randian asshat only in it for money and fame
>>
File: alfredbutler2[1].jpg (82 KB, 620x558) Image search: [Google]
alfredbutler2[1].jpg
82 KB, 620x558
>>81692296
>>
>>81692360
Good to remember that great characters don't always start that way.
>>
>>81692360
Neat.
>>
File: alfredbutler3[1].jpg (79 KB, 619x548) Image search: [Google]
alfredbutler3[1].jpg
79 KB, 619x548
>>81692400
For his early appearances, it's best to imagine anything Alfred does being accompanied by trombones.

>"By Jove, I've deduced Mr Wayne is secretly Batman!"
>WOMP WOOOMP WOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMPPPPP
>>
Not OP, but what was the most impressive feat Alfred ever pulled?
>>
>>81692490

Have a black daughter
>>
>>81692490
This is one of the best Alfred's stories
>>
>>81692490
Kicking Injustice Superman's ass. Literally.
>>
>>81692490
In the main universe I'm pretty sure there was a story in which Alfred uses a shotgun and butlers the fuck out of a bunch of people who broke into Wayne Manor.
>>
>>81692692
And I'm not saying that to hate on Superman. I love the classic big.blue boyscout. But Injustice Superman was headed the wrong way, and Alfred knocking him around was impressive to say the least.
>>
>>81692062
Maybe it's the weed talking but what if the Waynes were the Wayans!!! Like, we had a Keenan Ivory Wayans Batman.
>>
>>81692243
>>81692300
And then there's the AU where Ben dies before Peter was even born and Peter ends up becoming a delinquent and then the Hulk.
>>
>>81692360
>you may remember my father Jarvis
>my father Jarvis
>Jarvis

OOOOOH MYYYYYY GOOOOOOOD
>>
>>81692139
Bruce is a rich spoiled kid.
>>
>>81692062
>why Alfred was so loyal to the Waynes?

Because they're rich as fuck
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.