[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Comic Book Buisness Model is insane
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: n986za9buwu68hcu89lk.jpg (156 KB, 760x1173) Image search: [Google]
n986za9buwu68hcu89lk.jpg
156 KB, 760x1173
>Go to this speciality store, pay 3 bucks for something that lasts 15 minutes to read, then wait A MONTH and do it all over again
>Repeat for half a year until you have one story.

Jesus christ, I love comics so much I dedicated half my career to them, but almost everything about them is like they are actively trying to get people not to buy them.

You have the time ,effort and funds put in VASTLY overwhelming the level of congent you get out. There is a reason trades wer the biggest industry bump after the 90s.

This shit is stupid.
>>
>>81661477
>3 bucks

>whatalternaterealityareyoulivingin.jpg
>>
>>81661477
Im surprised theu never updated their business model. Go the way of webcomics. All online. Faster production. I mean hell the technology exists and all the drawing mostly occurs on a computer now. Either use a paid subscription model to access all the newest issues or use ad money. I know theres a marvel comic app but i heard it doest carry the newest issues.
>>
>>81661477
>>81662168
Blame Diamond

Also this >>81661729
>>
more like 5 bucks at this point
>>
>>81662380
>>81661729
Dc is all 3 bucks now
>>
Well, yeah.

I've said this before, but comic book readers -- particularly capefags -- aren't really much better than delusional Felicityfans on Arrow.

The current model fucking sucks, but no one is willing to accept any change if their favorite characters aren't given all the attention they "deserve." Sure, you can blame Diamond, but at many points in time, there would have been genuine "rebirths" of the industry (and deaths of stalwarts like Diamond) if people weren't such characterfags.

When you cater to obsessives who will (in general) go above and beyond for their favorite things, you will eventually limit your audience. At that point, you have two options: 1) listen to the people who used to be your audience or who could potentially be your audience, 2) or listen to the people who are currently giving you money/attention.

Catering to the later group will, almost without fail, neglect the former. And overall, it's just not sustainable.
>>
File: latest.jpg (63 KB, 400x575) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
63 KB, 400x575
It was 10 cents once and they had several hundred pages with several stories.
>>
>>81662380
>Black Panther #1 was closer to be 20 pages long than 30 pages
>it was 4.99

So fucking horrible
>>
>>81663443
it's a nice initiative but I don't see it lasting
>>
Adapt the phonebook format like the japanese, group shit like mutants into one book, make it black and white, make it cheaper, problem solved.
Trades would remain as they are, with color.
>>
>>81663766
And they were disposabl crap made by pimps and ganster to sell to children after ripping off pulp rags.

Quality in american comics bled in over time. Like fish gaining legs.

Almost all golden age books are fucking unreadable and most 50s dc stuff was bland charcaters with crazy stories, Marvel really pushed the envelope in the 60s and the wider exposure and rise of fans getting in combined to see comics made by people who actually gave a crap.

You can count good golden age comics on one hand
>>
>>81664223
Anthologies only work when the book is so cheap, no one cares about playing extra for a bunch if bools they dont want, to do that, you need slave labor crews and shitty materials.

So many people who keep saying to do Shoen Jump forget the massive socio economic differences between the us and japan that lets manga do what it does there
>>
>>81664223
they'll never print on toilet paper like shonen
>>
>>81664641
>>81664685
The market is shifting towards trades anyways, so I don't see why they couldn't.
Collectorfaggotry is dead anyways, none of the floppy shit printed today will be worth anything ever.
>>
>>81664749
Is it? Last I heard they kinda peaked.

My best guess is due to boomstores going out. Amazon tends to just give you wbat you want so you dont get folks discovering the joys of morrison via tpbs in borders like I did
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.