[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it ever explained how modern Marvel continuity links up with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: Cable 0.png (619 KB, 598x688) Image search: [Google]
Cable 0.png
619 KB, 598x688
Ignoring the occasional reboot or retcon of the timelines, like the recent Convergence event (which to be honest I still don't understand, much less the fallout of it), I've always assumed stuff like Marvel 2099 as the canon future.

Aside from plot points like Alchemax in Superior Spiderman and new religions like the Church of Thor in 2099, is there anything that explain how Marvel canon gets from point A to B? Or what happens during the time gap to bridge the two?

Closest thing I can think of is pics related, from the Civil War storyline.
>>
File: Cable 1.png (782 KB, 833x687) Image search: [Google]
Cable 1.png
782 KB, 833x687
>>81651987
>>
>>81651987
Idk
>>
>>81651987
no
>>
>>81651987
>>81652017

I just realized 2099 would mean the stuff with Cable and Apoc doesn't even happen.
>>
>>81651987
It's alternate Earth, they don't have to explain shit
>>
Its akin to the what ifs and published around the same time
>>
Check out Barry Windsor-Smith's Machine Man. Also the Iron Man 2020 OGN. Those are totally the missing link between 'now' and the future of 2099.
>>
>>81651987
It just works.
>>
>>81654758

Well, Secret Wars 3 eradicated the multiverse, so only ONE future is viable
>>
>>81651987
It doesn't. 2099 is a separate universe.
>>
>>81657804
Franklin Richards is seen seeding new universes at the end. Multiverse is back to normal for all intents and purposes.
>>
Spider-Man started introducing Alchemax and stuff
>>
>>81654758
Cable is from further beyond 2099, or at least I think he is. Bishop on the other hand is from before 2099.
>>
>>81657854
Didn't Alchemax appear in All-New X-Factor and recently in X-23verine's book?
>>
File: 250px-Star_trek_xmen_1.jpg (39 KB, 250x381) Image search: [Google]
250px-Star_trek_xmen_1.jpg
39 KB, 250x381
>>81651987
this is the canon marvel future
>>
>>81657915
>Enterprise see Gladiator
>how the fuck can he breathe in space, that's impossible!
>>
File: Star-Trek-X-Men-1996-3.jpg (811 KB, 1278x1122) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-X-Men-1996-3.jpg
811 KB, 1278x1122
>>81657928
X-Men have visited Star Trek quite a few times, you should read it, it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>81657992
I read it, actually. It's first crossover I read when I discovered what torrents are.
>>
>>81651987
Marvel 2099 is when Event A, Event B, and Event C happen to create Timeline ABC. Current Marvel Future, i.e. Hulkland, is when Event A, Event B, and Event D happen to create Timeline ABD.

Spidey-2099 is able to exist and has to worry about his grandfather in Timeline ABD because the common pieces AB from Timeline ABC are what make Spidey-2099.

Effectively, Marvel 2099 is a separate Timeline, that is radically different, but characters can exist because of aforementioned common parts between the two Timeline's past. Spidey-2099's story is all about changing Event D back into Event C to make Timeline ABC happen instead of ABD.

Which it never will because Marvel will keep rehashing the Heroic Age until the year 2099 arrives in Earth Prime.
>>
>>81657915
So if Marvel is doing Star Wars comics and Star Trek is the future of the Marvel Universe, then is it possible that all three could potentially be the same universe? If at least in the inevitable Marvel/Star Wars crossover?
>>
>>81658102
>If at least in the inevitable Marvel/Star Wars crossover?
How else could Bendis write Kitty as Chosen One and powerful in ways of Force?
>>
>>81658102
Star Wars = Long time ago
Marvel = Current
Star Trek = Future
>>
>>81658053
That's...confusing. I'm sure your logic is sound but it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Why doesn't Marvel (or DC for this matter) move along their timeline as the years ago by? I mean, you can easily explain away stuff like Steve and even Bucky, but isn't it a little weird that 616 Spidey has experienced 40~ years worth of conflict within the span of 10 years?

I guess I've always wanted to see how writers would (gradually) transition out of the Heroic Age and into scenarios like Earth X/Old Man Logan/2099/etc. Especially when there are multiple points where the writers refer to the passage of time in-universe, but the characters nor the world never seem to reflect it.
>>
>>81657992
why didn't he go snikt on spock
>>
>>81659145

Because then the heroes would age too much. Some series outside the Big Two do this, notably Judge Dredd where the strip progresses in real time. But for a company publishing stories of teen to 30something superheroes that need to be marketed to lil kids and families, aging your characters to 60 somethings would be commercial suicide.
>>
>>81654758
Marvel has ALWAYS had a multiple choice future, genius - contrary to what X-Men TAS may have made you believe; Cable, Bishop and DoFP's futures are all three separate, unrelated Bad End futures.
>>
File: Retcon THIS, you nerds.jpg (62 KB, 781x615) Image search: [Google]
Retcon THIS, you nerds.jpg
62 KB, 781x615
>>81657928
Personal force field, obvsl.
>>
>>81651987
originally 2099 was the future of the 616 universe all the heroes died because of roxxan corp and an illegal experiment. when spiderman 2099 changed places with spiderman he stopped the experiment before it killed all the heroes thereby making 2099 an alternate future. all this shit went down in spiderman 2099 meets spiderman
>>
File: iron-man-2020.jpg (87 KB, 287x329) Image search: [Google]
iron-man-2020.jpg
87 KB, 287x329
>>81651987
Never take any Marvel future story seriously.
There's dozens if not hundreds of different futures in the MU, and they ALL contradict each other.
You'll occasionally get guys like Bendis who try to insist that Daredevil: End of Days is the canon future of the MU, but in the end, none of these futures will ever be canon because other writers will want to write different futures and don't want to be limited.
Iron Man 2020 is NEVER gonna happen for instance.
>>
>>81659145
>isn't it a little weird that 616 Spidey has experienced 40~ years worth of conflict within the span of 10 years?

Time doesn't stop for a month between issues. A multi-issue arc may be as short as a few hours in "real time". So, 40-50 years of continuity being 10 years of 616 time isn't far-fetched. The only timeskips are the ones that are explicitly stated.

Even in Infinity Gauntlet, the reference of Thanos and Warlock being "dead for years" doesn't mean the 16-ish years of publication, but maybe 4-5 years of in-universe time. Honestly, there aren't many comics I've seen where real time passage is accepted practice. Witchblade and some Vertigo stuff is about it.
>>
>>81659145
Welcome to superhero comics. If you don't like it, well then, there's a REASON why nerds love to write those possible-future/end-of-a-hero's-life stories. Just focus on them, then read their other adventures if you're interested. Decide on your own cut-off point for when you stop caring.

Like, in mine and Tom DeFalco's head, Peter Parker retired in the early 90s after stopping the Goblin one last time, to raise his daughter with Mary Jane.
>>
>>81659145
>Why doesn't Marvel (or DC for this matter) move along their timeline as the years ago by?
Marvel literally does
>>
>>81657804
>only ONE future is viable
Go to bed Victor.
>>
This thread should have been about predicting what whacky event Marvel will do in the actual year 2099
>>
>>81661612
Won't most of their characters be in the public domain by then?
>>
>>81661660
>disney owned characters
>ever going public domain
Good joke mate
>>
>>81661475
4 more years....
>>
>>81651987
>Convergence
>>
what will happen when 2099 actually comes do yall think?
>>
>>81661660
Can't they renew?
>>
>>81661538
That was such a neat bit of author editorial.
>>
>>81661528
I was going to do this, but with all the Marvel Universe. I've collected every marvel comic from 1961-1999 and was going to stop at '93 before the shit hit the fan with spidey. But I would rather have something to read every month and just take the good with the (mostly) bad.
>>
>>81662450
My personal cutoff is 1986, with a few titles stretching a bit farther.

As far as sliding timescale is concerned, there's an interesting fan-hypothesis about real-time under silver age/Kirby, and the bronze age with slowed down time as a result of Franklin Richard's reality warping. It isn't editorially mandated, but >>81661538 is very similar. You can't think of time as a linear concept the same way it is in the real world - they're just comics after all, and comics will break your heart.
>>
File: A-Next.png (2 MB, 1077x874) Image search: [Google]
A-Next.png
2 MB, 1077x874
I hope that the MCU keeps going for a while and it will finally show us a version of the MU where time progresses normally. Maybe in the future they can includes some of the better elements of some of Marvel's alternate futures.

>>81658053
This. Many things that happen in alternate futures will still happen, albeit a little bit differently.
>>
>>81662619
Oh yeah, I forgot about that - the notion that Franklin Richards keeps his parents' origins and consequently, the rest of the Marvel U permanently "ten years ago" so that he can stay a little boy forever. That's actually a pretty cuttingly accurate analogy for why we fanboys keep the characters around and more-or-less-the-same too.
>>
>>81661475
OMG it's only 4 years from now.
>>
>>81662647
Ant-man after sex change will make your penis look gigantic by shrinking herself. A true superpower.
>>
>>81662619
>>81662749
I'd never heard of this theory until now. It makes the time sliding a little more bearable, at least until some major crossover destroys the theory.
>>
>>81651987
"something happened" that ended the golden age of super heros, nobody knows because then they'd have to talk about it and the whole thing would break down.
>>
>>81651987
>Is it ever explained how modern Marvel continuity links up with Marvel 2099 continuity?

Alternate timeline.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.