[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grant Morrison's Action Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 309x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 309x476
What was /co/'s opinion on Grant Morrison's Action Comics run? Is it better than All-star Superman?
>>
It's less grandiose than All Star Superman, it's an enjoyable read and a good story but it's pretty forgettable. More of just your typical run.
>>
No because one is drawn by Quitely and one is not.
>>
Art is dogshit. Stiry is pretty good.
>>
I honestly don't know why people didn't like Rags's art, I thought it really fit the story, and it made me like action comics even more.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 328x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 328x320
>Morrison predicted Man of Murder
>>
File: 1458537410123.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458537410123.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>81633536
>Grandiose
>>
>no omnibus or complete collection of this run

What the fuck, DC.
>>
>>81635229
Didn't Grant pitch a Superman movie once upon a time?
>>
File: 1436368508564.jpg (110 KB, 445x720) Image search: [Google]
1436368508564.jpg
110 KB, 445x720
>>81633427
It's great as kind of a compact homage to all of Superman's history, starting from a Superman that gets around with super jumping, and is more interested in solving street level problems and dealing with CEOs, before venturing into brawling with aliens in space, and entities from the 5th dimension, all setting up to craft the Superman for the new universe.

It's obviously at a disadvantage to All-Star despite the pedigree, simply because New 52 Superman has to have a perpetual existence, but I think it's a fine setup for Nu52 Clark that doesn't just retread all the Post-Crisis origins but for the 21st century.

The only thing that disappointed me was that they killed off the Kents.
>>
>>81633427
Considering Morrison's Action Comics was a mess that dumped any characterization past the 1930's I'm going with the wildly overrated All Star Superman. Like choosing between arsenic and russian roulette.
>>
>>81635329
DC only has a small handful of shit like that for New 52

Lemire Green Arrow, ManaBooch Flash, Snyder CoO, and Johns Aquaman off the top of my head got something special.

Maybe they'll announce Azz Wonder Woman stuff closer to her movie.
>>
>>81635229
Why does Morrison have such a massive allergy to subtlety?
>>
>>81636275
Probably why he makes such a good Superhero writer, they are a match in that respect.
>>
>>81636275
because he's all about allegory and metaphor. People in a Morrison book tend to be less human and more literary device.
>>
>>81635930
Dead Kents are great though
>>
My favorite superman ongoing story arc. Everything with the 5th dimension, the anti-superman army, blogging clark, jimmy olson, superman threatening shitty fat cats and cops. Good stuff.
>>
>>81635971
(You)
>>
>>81635930
Kents dying worked in the story, showing off that 5th dimmension imp's power and how he fucked up Clark's life. It sucks they never used him or 5th dimension after the story though
>>
>>81636275
>Things need to be subtle to be good.
>In a universe where concepts like superman, anti-life, the end of time, the bat-cave and apokolips exist.
>>
>>81636008
Dial H and Batman Inc too
>>
>tfw ignored his action comics when it first came out for some reason and only realized it was morrison superman during the ending 5-D imp fight arc
>>
>>81636275
>>81637133

So he's basically Zack Snyder?
>>
>>81635229
>left of the B
>>
>>81641107
yeah, just realized that. scary!
>>
Arguably the best in-canon Superman story of the 21st century
>>
>>81638334
>>81636339
This. Capes are at their core larger than life metaphors. Trying to go against that sets off an uneasy opposition in the narrative.
>>
>>81636008
How is the New52 Flash and Aquaman stuff? I like Johns' run of the flash up to and including Flashpoint
>>
I didn't like it as much as All-Star but there are a lot of neat ideas and moments in there.

I like Black Superman
>>
>>81646261
Flash is very pretty. Story is pretty meh but serviceable. Aquaman stuff is pretty decent.
>>
>>81646522
Obama-metaphor aside I like how he's a Superman that has a position of authority and isn't a dick. I felt like Grant was trying to push back against all the "Emperor Superman" stories where the moral boils down to that authoritative power and Superman don't mix.
>>
>>81635229
That wasn't predicting anything, it was talking about the trends of the last decades.
>>
>>81645313
Up, Up, and Away is a thing
>>
>>81648424
I like it but that's not really the best in continuity story of this century.
>>
What makes Grant's run so great is that it actually does something new

Seriously. Think about all the New 52 titles, hell, think of all the runs where all the writer does is take the same old villains and make them fight the same old heroes in the same old way we've seen done a million times before

At least Grant adds something to the mythos. He throws the character in a legitimately interesting new direction that we haven't really ever seen before and he managed to supply this world with its own unique set of characters without ever feeling too much like the typical "it's Superman, so we need to have (Insert origin story retelling/first time something happened/new villain origin/Evil Super-Men/ Lois being a journalist moment here)in the story" problem most stories face

Let's take Superman Unchained, for example. It does try adding something new to Superman's mythos with stuff like Wraith. But it doesn't get what it's supposed to be. It doesn't know much of what a Superman story should be like, and so despite all of its attempts at throwing a wrench in the machine it all feels dumb. Grant takes what we knows and warps it into something new. He's able to take something so plainly obvious, so mundanely forgotten, and make you realize that it's amazing
>>
>>81641107
So that's why I liked Batman v Superman so much
>>
>>81641107
Except Grant gets capes.
>>
>>81647851
Funny, not only was Fisch's backup story a lot better than Morrison's lead, it also explained exactly why President Superman was a bad idea.
>>
>>81651253
see:
>>81637978
>>
>>81651297
Fuck you, Fisch is an amazing writer, his story was better, Morrison's AC run was alright.
>>
>>81651531
Again, here's your reply.
>>
>>81651531
Go away Fisch
>>
>>81651630
>>81651703
The worst thing about Grant Morrison are his fanboys. You realize he was referring to you guys with the Oblivion Machine?
>>
>>81651871
I'm not a fanboy of Morrison's at all, Mr. Fisch. Nice hasty conclusion you've jumped to though. 5/10 though for baiting an actual reply though.
>>
>>81633427
I really can't say. They're similar in ways and not in others. As much as I like All-Star, I really loved the progression of things in Morrison's Action. Cocky, young Supes is awesome.

>>81648424
I read that a few years ago after a ton of recommendations from /co/. I was entirely unimpressed. It seemed like the most safe, boring, generic, pandering post-Crisis Superman story I've ever read. Which may explain why so many people like it, I guess.

>>81650135
Yeah! That's a good way of putting it. Even if there are people who don't like Morrison's run, you sure as hell can't call it forgettable.
>>
I was pissed that the trades had the back up stories in the back and the issues out of order (zero and annual after the other issues)
I love Morrison's every third issue being a semi side story issue, why would they try to ruin that
>>
>>81633427
It felt like he was really trying to get excited about writing it but just couldn't manage to.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.