[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/ if you like Disney films a lot, is KH a good series to get into?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: KH CoM.jpg (402 KB, 1011x1420) Image search: [Google]
KH CoM.jpg
402 KB, 1011x1420
/co/ if you like Disney films a lot, is KH a good series to get into?
>>
>>81622946
If you like Japanese games/JRPGs, and won't judge the series based on the incredibly dated first game, then yeah I'd say it's worth it.
>>
If you want an overly convoluted plot, sure.
>>
>>81622988
Pretty much, although the real-time nature of (most of) the games does mitigate some of the JRPG factor. I, for one, can't get into turn-based JRPGs like Final Fantasy, but I love Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>JRPG
>Video game made for movie IP

It's shit.
>>
>>81622988
>>81622991
>>81623067
These JRPG elements. How bad are they? By that I mean the original story and characters. Are they annoying?
>>
>>81622946
I think it's a good series but don't worry about following the story too much unless it really interests you because it's pretty complicated. You don't have to just start with the first game by the way, I recommend Birth by Sleep for a first one.
>>
>>81622946
Yeah, most of the games are simple and clean fun.
>>
>>81623119
Sora is pretty annoying. He's a typical Shounen protagonist. So he's dumb, forgetful, talks nonsensically about friendship, and yes he's a homosexual.
>>
>>81622946
A lot of people say KH has the most idiotic plot/writing around.

But let me tell you something.

KH1 came out when I was 10 years old. And ever since then, I have closely followed the series, and it has become my favorite game series of all time.

The story is great, it honestly is. It keeps you guessing and engaged, you want to know what happens next. And everything is connected and related. Literally everything.

You get to see Genie use s keyblade and perform magic with you. Simba will do a combo roar attack with you. I mean hell, you get to team up with TRON for crying out loud.

And they try as hard as theycan to get original voice actors. Hades, Aladdin, Jack Skellington, TRON, Hercules, among many others all have their original movie actors.

The actual game though is fantastic. Amazing and varied combat, absolutely gorgeous visuals, and breathtaking music. And each installment is unique in it's own way.

So anon, I highly recommend you play this series ASAP.

BUT make you sure you play the games in release order, not chronological order. Release order is how it is meant to be played.
>>
>>81623233
>The story is great, it honestly is. It keeps you guessing and engaged, you want to know what happens next.

If you're 10, maybe.

They're good games and all, but even the most hardcore KH fans agree that the plot is beyond retarded.
>>
>>81622991
>>81623228
>>81623193
Don't listen to these fools.
>>
>>81623269
Only retards who can't understand anything and people who only played up to KH2 say this shit.
>>
>>81623269
That's because of Nomura following Sakaguchi's advice of "Make it complex or it won't sell."
>>
>>81623301
I've played every game in the series, just like you probably have. Don't go making assumptions.

I hate the story in Kingdom Hearts because everything past the first game is essentially the story arc in Final Fantasy 7 where all you do is chase Sephiroth. Every villain looks the same and is essentially just a single character trait or trope.

KH would have been much better as a one-off game. It definitely did not need all those sequels. I really enjoyed BBS, though.
>>
Anyone who thinks the plot is complicated/hard to understand is either < 12 or retarded. Probably both.

Yeah it gets a bit convoluted/all over the place, but at no point is it difficult to understand.

Chronological order for OP:

Birth By Sleep - KH1 - Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days - KH2 - RE:Coded - KH Dream Drop Distance - KH3

there's also that mobile game that just came out which nobody gives a fuck about.
>>
>>81623371
as a one-off game, we'd be stuck with KH1, which is bad unless you're a nostalgiafag or have low standards.

Personally, I quite like the story. But I accept it has gotten needlessley complex. I'd rather have a simpler story with more fleshed out characters and worlds.
>>
>>81623119
Story, yeah, there's quite a lot of Shonen influence in the original characters and the main plot. I love it, but I won't blame you if you don't like it, and the story being "convoluted" is a rather popular opinion (likely because some people just jump in to whichever is the newest game; starting with KH1 and working your way up through release order will ease you into it).

The Disney worlds, on the other hand, usually pretty much do their own thing separate from the main story (read: re-enact the plot of their movies). The most involvement that most Disney worlds have on the main plot is in KH1, with Maleficent's Legion of Doom consisting of herself, Captain Hook, Jafar, Oogie Boogie, and Ursula.

There's also cameos from Final Fantasy characters, but they're pretty much there to be there. You could honestly replace most of them with OCs and it wouldn't really change much. Not to mention that they're not all that important in the grand scheme of things. Less important than the main characters (Sora, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Riku, Kairi, et al.), but more important than the characters from most Disney worlds.

Gameplay, not much. You've got some Final Fantasy trappings (spells like Firaga, Gravira, Magnet, etc.; summons; different weapons you can equip), but it ditches the Final Fantasy turn-based combat in favor of real-time 3D movement and combat.
>>
WHEN YOU WALK AWAY
>>
>>81623480
You're a fucking gay
>>
>TFW Zootopia is almost certain to get a world due to fursuits of Nick and Judy being in the mobile game.
>>
>>81623425
>I'd rather have a simpler story with more fleshed out characters and worlds

Exactly.

What Kingdom Hearts did wrong was trying way too hard in the games after the first one (and to some degree CoM) to give the series an identity. They fucked themselves over in that regard when they wanted to do a game that was going to be a crossover between Final Fantasy and Disney.

If we'd been stuck with KH1 we would've regarded it as a better game, because while I agree that the gameplay is shit, the story is the best in the series where it's just a few OC characters adventuring in Disney worlds with Final Fantasy characters and ONE OC villain and one Disney villain (Maleficent).

Kingdom Hearts should never have tried to become the DeviantArt Nomura OC-tier-series it is today. That's what made the series stale. Disney and FF is just there because that's the schtick, none of it matters anymore and it's all about Sora fighting some black-robed faggots without character traits.

It's not a "bad" story, because I value those friendship-y stories (like very early Naruto if we're gonna go that far to describe), but it's all the fuck over the place and still just boils down to Sora beating bad guy(s) because he's kind or whatever.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-NoyqzGkY

The whole timeline.
>>
>>81623466
>Maleficent's Legion of Doom consisting of herself, Captain Hook, Jafar, Oogie Boogie, and Ursula

Oh, and Hades. Forgot about him for some reason. Probably because, despite the fact that he's James fucking Woods, fighting him is completely optional (hell, actually seeing him outside of Maleficent's Legion of Doom is completely optional!) and can only be done during the endgame, after most of the bad guys are defeated and Maleficent has had her "main villain" status get yanked out from under her.
>>
Also, you ALWAYS play a game series in RELEASE ORDER if it has a chronological timeline, like this one has (and not like Zelda has for example)

Just like MGS or Silent Hill.
>>
>>
>>81623567
Nah, Zootopia, Moana, and Gigantic are not going to be in KH3. The cut off point is Big Hero 6.
>>
>>81623594
This is dead on how I feel about it. There's no balance between Disney and FF influences, it always leans too far to one or the other. If it had stayed as a crossover, or started as it's own series (possible a FF spinoff) it would likely be much better now. Certain things like the organisation, some of the better characters like Axel and Master Xehanort would work better in their own series I feel.
>>
File: Kingdom Hearts is Rolf.jpg (39 KB, 462x649) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Hearts is Rolf.jpg
39 KB, 462x649
>>
File: 1_kingdom_hearts_unchained_key.jpg (46 KB, 508x286) Image search: [Google]
1_kingdom_hearts_unchained_key.jpg
46 KB, 508x286
>>81623657
He said mobile game in pic related, dumbass.
>>
>>81623545
YOU DON'T HEAR ME SAY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2e7bX2oVlQ

The whole thread.
>>
>>81623657
To be fair, Tron Legacy was in KH3D and that was a difference of two years between the two. We don't know when KH3 will release, so Zootopia hypothetically is still plausible. I'm not saying that it's guaranteed, because it isn't, I'm just saying don't be so quick to dismiss Zootopia's inclusion just yet.
>>
>>81623594
>just boils down to Sora beating bad guy(s) because he's kind or whatever.

KH1's instruction booklet says Sora has a strong sense of justice. And by that it means Sora kills villains repeatedly. Even if revived, I'm surprised how cut throat the kid is.
>>
>>81623641
In fairness, with Metal Gear, you don't really need to play Metal Gear 1 or 2 to understand MGS1. There's text synopses in the game, and the characters pretty much explain everything you really need to know about them. This was mostly because Metal Gear 1 and 2 came from the 8-bit era of the MSX2 and the NES, and MG2 wasn't even released outside of Japan by the time MGS hit. After that, though, you absolutely need to play in release order. Also, the Ac!d games are non-canon, and Portable Ops is likely only partially canon at best.

As for Silent Hill, most of the games are pretty disconnected from each other. SH3 is a sequel to SH1, Origins is a prequel to SH1, and SH4 has a couple of nods to SH2, but they're otherwise pretty disjointed. Shattered Memories takes place in an alternate continuity, but it uses characters from SH1.
>>
>>81623769
>you don't really need to play Metal Gear 1 or 2 to understand MGS1

Metal Gear and MGS are two different series, dude.
>>
>>81623620
To be fair, what else can she do? Her maximum power is.....turn into a dragon. A fat one that can't fly in the original film (BBS making her fly was taking liberties).
>>
>>81623729
If KH3 releases in 2018, it's the same year as Gigantic. Man I want that world in KH3. Such a shame.
>>
It's honestly fucking great.
>>
>>81623791
Metal Gear 1 and 2 take place in the Solid continuity. That's like saying you shouldn't watch other Marvel Cinematic Universe movies because they and The Avengers are different series..
>>
Any series that wants me to take this seriously doesn't deserve attention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4XzlAwWkXQ
>>
>>81623924
Fuck off.
>>
>>81623878
Fuck, I just had a brainfart.

Carry on.
>>
>>81622946
Anyone else think that the older Sora gets the more the series suffers? Nomura seems to want to turn Sora into a literal manchild hanging out with Disney characters and that concept doesn't work.

Keep Sora an underaged kid for the sake of a profitable image. You don't see Pokemon's anime aging Ash into adulthood.
>>
>>81623972
No. That scene is shit and whoever thought of it should feel bad
>>
>>81623801
But she does have all the powers of Hell at her command, according to what she tells Prince Phillip in Sleeping Beauty and BBS. Clearly, DARKNESS trumps Hell.
>>
File: 1460036105626.png (160 KB, 448x408) Image search: [Google]
1460036105626.png
160 KB, 448x408
Post yfw Braig is the final boss
>>
>>81622946
I'm surprised they didn't make some animated short or tv show out of kingdom hearts.
>>
>>81623856
>>81623729
>>81623657
>>81623567
The kingdom hearts team views the movie before they release and while there being developed. They also are allowed to put in any Disney Property except for one that are copyright heavy.
>>
the game is meh, but 10/10 soundtrack though

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY
>>
>>81624524
Apparently, Disney actually did make a pilot episode for a Kingdom Hearts cartoon (albeit they only had storyboards for the characters at this point, and they had the idea to reuse background art from Disney movies where applicable), and IIRC, it tested pretty well. However, they stopped production from going any further because they ultimately decided that they didn't want to step on Square's toes and fuck up their plans for the series.
>>
File: kh pilot.jpg (50 KB, 376x294) Image search: [Google]
kh pilot.jpg
50 KB, 376x294
>>81624759
Never forget.
>>
>>81623994

The whole series should've ended at 2 where the gameplay was at it's peak, most of the good Disney movies were covered, and most of the plot up until that point was resolved.
>>
File: KH28-Screen_03-28-16.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
KH28-Screen_03-28-16.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
>>81625162
>Not waiting for 3 as if the world is going to end
>>
>>81623924
It's a good thing it doesn't.
>>
>>81625670
But it does,
>>
>>81625382

-The guys behind Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are behind it.
-Sora's new outfit looks like shit.
-Pandering to overrated recent films up the ass with very few actually good movies remaining.
-Stuff like Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet are shat over for not being as popular as Frozen n shit.
-Nu-Final Fantasy pandering up the ass with stuff pre-VII getting shat over.
-Xehanort's VAs are dead.
>>
>>81625920
>-The guys behind Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are behind it.
I'm ambivalent about DDD but BBS was good
>-Sora's new outfit looks like shit.
Your opinion. Plus, is going to change with drive forms anyway.
>-Pandering to overrated recent films up the ass with very few actually good movies remaining.
There's like, 3 worlds confirmed so far, that's pure speculation. Plus, they use whatever world the team things is more fun to play according to interviews.
>-Stuff like Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet are shat over for not being as popular as Frozen n shit.
There's a fair chance that Tresure Planet ill be on it.
>-Nu-Final Fantasy pandering up the ass with stuff pre-VII getting shat over.
FF thing where never the focus anyway.
-Xehanort's VAs are dead.
That's pretty shitty. Fuck death.
>>
>>81625920
BBS and DDD were fun though
>>
So is anyone playing khux?
>>
File: ah.jpg (143 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
ah.jpg
143 KB, 520x520
>>81626590
topkek
>>
>>81622988
>incredibly dated first game
the only levels i'd say that don't hold up in KH1 are Tarzan and Atlantis, the rest are fine
>>
>>81622946
You'll probably only enjoy the first one and BBS if you're looking for Disney fan service.
>>
>>81625920
>The guys behind Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are behind it.
Yeah, a big problem. But I don't think Tokyo Team has it in them to do what made KHII Final mix great.
>-Sora's new outfit looks like shit.
All of his outfits look like shit. The new one's probably his most casual/tame yet to be honest.
>-Pandering to overrated recent films up the
ass with very few actually good movies
remaining.
Sure.
>-Stuff like Great Mouse Detective and Treasure Planet are shat over for not being as popular as Frozen n shit.
We don't know that.
>-Nu-Final Fantasy pandering up the ass with stuff pre-VII getting shat over.
Nomura only likes using his characters, it's an honor thing. Although I think Setzer was an exception, so anything can change.
>-Xehanort's VAs are dead.
Absolutely horrible.
>>
File: 1455851325369.png (328 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
1455851325369.png
328 KB, 442x600
>>81623599
DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO
Its so bad and leaves out a LOT of lore and important story bits. Fuck GT for making this.
>>
I'd say yes, but only aim to play the first game.

If you enjoy the first game, then try the others, if not then assume KH1's plot was all there was to it.
>>
>>81622991
This
>>
File: image.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>81623656
>those anons singing
Always makes me Kek.
>>
KH is a nice game in itself, but there's one rule you must take into consideration and everyone will agree to it.

Pay absolutely ZERO mind to the story (if you can call it a story.) Don't try to follow along with it, don't try to make sense of it, don't even Google it. You will get lost, confused, maybe quit the game altogether because of it.

Just enjoy it for the hack and slash JRPG it is.
>>
>>81623274
it's literally a fanfiction
>>
>>81636080
That's retarded. The Kingdom Hearts games are not complicated as long as you actually pay attention to what's happening.
>>
>>81623193
Birth by Sleep is kind of KH's ace in the hole, I would not start with that one. Honestly first game in the series is the best place to start. The control is clunky, and some of the stages are definitely not up to par with others, but it's a great primer to the polish that arrives in the rest of the series.

If you're looking for plot, start there too. Pretty sure Nomura handles the direction, so you can expect a lot of "feelings"-centric bullshit in the plot. However, unlike Final Fantasy which has come to play itself so straight it's sterile KH is pretty lighthearted. The plot is fun, and can even be inspiring. Later releases have a bit more feelings than I bear, and I was already having trouble digesting all of it. But that's me. The plot is superficially complicated like a lot of FF games but listen and you can basically keep track of all the characters.

Console game are all solid. Portable games vary, I think Birth by Sleep is one of the best titles on gameplay alone. Chain of Memories is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Avoid Dream Drop Distance, do not play that game.
>>
>>81636414
Not paying attention is retarded? Perhaps.
But actually following along with every facet of it would indeed be autistic.
>>
SIMPLE AND CLEAN IS THE WAY THAT YOU'RE MAKING ME FEEL TONIGHT
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.