[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /co/'s opinion on Larry Hama's Wolverine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 182x277
What's /co/'s opinion on Larry Hama's Wolverine comics?
Been picking up these issues and have been enjoying them a lot.
I started at #66 and have been meaning to pick up as much as I can.
Have # 62, 63, 66-68 and am lookin to pick up other issues written by him, like #31-43, 45-53, 55-57, 61, & 64.
Any other issues I should look into?
>>
It is surprisingly good. I mean if you think '90s Wolverine series' it had just about everything to go wrong but it's one of the best Marvel runs of the entire decade (granted, competition is a bit low). It's like if Maximum Carnage somehow managed to not be a hilarious 90s macho shitfest
>>
>>81609524
Sorry for that shit OP image, here's that cover art at a higher resolution
>>
>>81609524
>Any other issues I should look into?
Check out the Sabretooth mini he did with Mark Texeira
>>
File: wolverine_by_kracov.jpg (501 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
wolverine_by_kracov.jpg
501 KB, 1280x1024
>>81610227
>Mark Texeira
Will fucking do.
I love his art. The whole reason I got into Wolverine.
>>
>>81609524
>Any other issues I should look into?
Well if you're just looking for Wolverine comics look for the Marvel Comics Presents issues with Barry Windsor Smith's Weapon X. ##72-84
>>
>>81610602
Thanks, any recs are appreciated.
>>
>>81610624
The only other solo Wolverine thing I can think of is the obvious one, Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine.
>>
>>81610655
I'm aware of the Claremont run, will also be picking up the omnibus along side God loves, man kills, as well as days of future past.
>>
>>81610715
>days of future past

I was going to start hunting down the singles for Classic X-Men since it reprints Claremont's run, but for whatever reason the reprints skip that story arc
>>
>>81609524
I liked the first 30 issues or so of his run (issues #31 to around #61 or #62), but it really goes down in quality after that. Mind you, it was during the mid-60ish issues that Hama pretty much became little more than a glorified scripter on the title. By that point, all the plots for the mutant books were being generated by committee during the X-office's annual retreats led by editor Bob Harras (there's an interview with Hama floating out there where he talks about this). It was so bad that Peter David quit X-Factor... he basically had no control over the story in the comic, he was just there to put words in the characters' mouths. Hama had a higher tolerance for that kind of bullshit, though (after all, he had to deal with Hasbro dictating all sorts of nonsense when he was writing GI Joe), so he stuck with the title until 1997.
>>
>>81614540
Here's the interview where he talks about not having any control of the storylines in Wolverine after a while:

http://thegeeksverse.com/2012/08/19/larry-hama-the-comixverse-interview-part-1/

Here's the relevant bit:

>CV: It’s been mentioned many times in interviews that you don’t plan far ahead when writing and this has led some issues on other titles, notably Wolverine. Your run on that title (with artists Marc Silvestri and Adam Kubert) is an all-time fan-favorite and many readers were disappointed when you left the title. Because of the way the run ended, were there any storylines that you didn’t get to finish up or explore?

>Larry Hama: After a while, I really didn’t have any control of the storyline in Wolverine since it was dependent on the overall overlapping arcs of all the X-Men titles. All the writers of the X-books would have to go on a retreat every year and spend three days in some secluded hotel or spa, hammering out the continuity for the coming year so that everything meshed together. It was akin to what I suspect it’s like putting together a bill in Congress.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.