[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: Adrian.jpg (98 KB, 799x499) Image search: [Google]
Adrian.jpg
98 KB, 799x499
Was he right?
>>
>>81608910

A few million people to prevent the complete and utter extinction of humanity?

Yeah, Id say so.

>>INB4 bleeding hearts decrying him.
>>
>>81609279
It won't prevent a thing, Anon. Either the truth will get out and the world will comes for Ozzy's balls OR people will slowly forget New York City and go right back at eachother's throats.

Nothing Ozy did will amount to anything aside from a mountain of corpses.
>>
>>81609279
That rests on the assumption that he did save humanity, when it's far from certain and strongly implied that it won't last.
>>
Aren't people gunna ask where the rest of the aliens are?
>>
I think he could have been wrong about his predictions but being in his position, yeah, he made the right call.
>>
>>81609437
>>81609447
Yeah, you're right it's better to do nothing
>>
File: InTheEnd.jpg (194 KB, 905x483) Image search: [Google]
InTheEnd.jpg
194 KB, 905x483
>>81609279
>implying Adrian's plan will change a damn thing
>>
>>81609517
Maybe or maybe not. The ending is open-ended.

I mean, long-term, humanity will die out inevitably. Is killing a bunch now and the rest dying later really better than everyone dying sometime in-between?
>>
>>81609517
Depends on the probabilities involved. If he had a 95% chance of being successful then it's fine. But if he killed millions for a 5% chance at saving billions then I don't know.
>>
>>81609621
But in the second scenario if he does nothing there's a 100% chance everyone dies, no?
>>
>>81608910
nope. he didn't finish the job.
>>
>>81608910
In the short term, yes. There's a couple of generations that are going to live in very real fear of what happened and the possibility of it happening again.

In the long term after those two generations? Unknown. People grow complacent over time, so the fear would eventually start to fade. But that doesn't necessarily mean tensions would rise again. People would get used to peace and be more invested in maintaining it.
>>
>>81609670
No, I don't think that's necessary. We survived the cold war. I know they're in an alternate universe, but I don't see why they can't survive without Veidt too.
>>
>>81609738

>I don't see why they can't survive without Veidt too.

Manhattan changes everything, basically. Everyone is more on the edge.
>>
>>81609828
True. But I think the likelihood of nuclear war is higher, but not 100%. I could be wrong though.
>>
whats with all these watchmen related threads today
>>
File: Batgirl002.png (722 KB, 655x569) Image search: [Google]
Batgirl002.png
722 KB, 655x569
>>81609937
Honestly I just wanted an excuse to post the OP pic
>>
Why would muslims give a shit about what happened? They'd go right back to killing each other. And when no doc swoops in the world will know it's a sham.
>>
>>81608910
Just the same way the other main characters
> deconstructed
the super hero by being assholes or ineffectual or both, Ozy
>deconstructed
the evil master plan by pulling it off, having the consequence he expected and it mattering fuck all in the long run.
>>
>>81609437
>people will slowly forget New York City
didn't they say in the comic that there where multiple squids launched all over the world?
>>
>>81608910

>delaying the destruction of humanity even if only for a few years

Sounds pretty good to me.
>>
>>81609738

>We survived the cold war.

There were so many times where we were close to wiping each other out. We got lucky.
>>
>>81608910
Isnt the point of Starship Troopers that humanity only geta along when they have a common unknown enemy. Ozy was right, rather the whole world be in a cold war with an alien threat that doesnt exist than continue on yo what we have today.
>>
>>81608910
This thread? Is it already that time of the month?
>>
>>81609670
No.
>>
>>81609621
I don't think the % value matters.

Do nothing, humanity dies out, do something, there is always a chance of success that wasn't there from doing nothing.

The "But everything dies out in the end" card, kind of wears itself out when all that matters is that humanity gets to keep living and will do no matter what to do so.
>>
>>81613289
>Do nothing, humanity dies out, do something, there is always a chance of success that wasn't there from doing nothing.
Neither are certain at all.

It just raises the question of:
>>81609597
>>
>>81609588
It literally did. Did you finish the book?
>>
>>81609517
It worked out fine in our reality and we didn't even have a being of near godlike power to help us.
>>
>>81612630

You're thinking of the movie, which had Manhattan bombs in multiple cities.

The squid's psychic attack was felt around the world though, which us how the international community recognized the (false) impending invasion to unite against.

Whuch is part of why the movie ending with bombs is so bad. You can't team up to kill God unless you're in a JRPG.
>>
>>81610156
it is a great pic
>>
>>81609447
Then all he has to do is repeat it every few years. With the speeds at which population is growing it's nothing when compared to casualties during a war. I just wish he'd stick to shit overpopulated countries in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
>>
File: 1318472445198.jpg (97 KB, 483x409) Image search: [Google]
1318472445198.jpg
97 KB, 483x409
>was he right?
Doesn't matter. His planned worked and the world was at peace. The man gave up the respect of his friends and possibly his own humanity to save the world while you would have sat there like a woman and let the whole world burn just to preserve your own selfish ideals of honor.

There is literally nothing you can do or say that will change that. You can scream about what was right or good/evil until you're blue in the face but you'll just have to sit there and look at his smug face until the day you die.
>>
>>81614713
Situation was different exactly because we didn't have that godlike being
>>
>>81609279
we know from 9/11 that a big event like that doesn't work, and it actually makes things worse
>>
>>81618600
Maybe it's because I'm a cynic who hasn't read the series in a while, but now that Manhattan isn't protecting America (at least as far as the international stage is concerned) is there any reason for the Soviets to NOT take advantage of America getting fucked up and try to finish the job? "Maybe we'll stand a better chance against the aliens if everyone answers to the Reds," and such.
THAT is why this is a discussion.
>>
>>81618649

>we know from 9/11

A tragedy that affects one country is not comparable to the world being convinced that aliens are going to invade the planet.
>>
>>81618722

>is there any reason for the Soviets to NOT take advantage of America getting fucked up and try to finish the job?

Because there would be huge losses on both sides.

>"Maybe we'll stand a better chance against the aliens if everyone answers to the Reds,"

That doesn't make sense, fucking up one of the most powerful countries on earth right before you need their power to protect the earth is counterproductive.
>>
>>81618649
>>81618840
A better comparison would be any nation in wartime facing actual invasion through history. Its just as likley that if facing a real alien invasion threat, elements from both sides of the cold war would attempt a secret back room deal with the aliens to get rid of the otherside in exchange for somthing.
>>
>>81608910

>Make a monster that will be scitifically proven to be terrestrial
>Will have to do a larger scale "Attack" in the future so the first doesn't look like a freak accident

No. Manhattan practically laughing in Veidts dumbass face should have clued you in
>>
>>81618908
>>Make a monster that will be scitifically proven to be terrestrial
Huh? The idea is that the alien weapon would be transported to earth, how would they be able to prove it came from earth? Obviously it ended up there but that doesn't do anything.
>Will have to do a larger scale "Attack" in the future so the first doesn't look like a freak accident
Even if it does look like a freak accident later, the relations between the capitalist and communist countries would have still improved, it's not like there is any reason for them to necessarily always get worse without the threat of alien invasion or something, they've gotten better naturally before.
>Manhattan practically laughing in Veidts dumbass face should have clued you in
Manhattan is legitimately retarded, the fact that he thinks that humanities sperm is what differentiates them from rocks should have clued you in.
>>
>>81614104
You mean the open end where it is left ambigious if the peace will last?
The peace created by a guy named Ozymandias?

Yeah.
>>
Nothing ever ends.

You can't save the day in real life.

THATS THE POINT
>>
>>81618649
>3 thousand equals 3 million
>>
>>81609279
Nothing ever ends Adrian
>>
>>81614104
You are a moron
>>
>>81618600
>His planned worked
There's no way to tell that yet because his plan was for long-term results.
>>
>>81612867
And Babylon5 says that even in bigger groups, small factions are running for their goals or hate others.
Besides the elders, every empire had different factions with different motivations or goals.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.