[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Shows that aged terribly.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: 1460102383424.jpg (48 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
1460102383424.jpg
48 KB, 640x430
ITT: Shows that aged terribly.
>>
>>81581803
You shut your whore mouth.
>>
>>81581803
oh man this. and Rugrats too
>>
>>81581803
Most WB cartoons aged horribly due to their pop culture references.
>>
>>81581874
TTA was so self-aware it wasn't even funny.
>>
>>81581874
Pop culture references only age badly if they're bad ones. Some pop culture references will be relevant forever to anybody who knows pop culture.

I've never watched Tiny Toons and thought "ok that wasn't funny, nobody knows about that anymore".
>>
>>81581958
even as a kid I liked "One Beer" solely for taking the piss out of anti-drug "very special episodes" that every fucking sitcom/kid's show does
>>
AH MANGO LIQUID REFRESHMENT
>>
>>81582224
Best joke in the series
>>
>>
File: header.jpg (135 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
135 KB, 460x215
>>
>>81582665
No, OP means stuff that was good at the time but the jokes, themes, or references are no longer relevant. No shows that we're shit to begin with.
>>
File: Intro-00096.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Intro-00096.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
Even the early seasons
>>
>>81582171
I love "One Beer" even more today. It is so fucking snarky you can see it rolling its eyes at the whole retarded war in drugs. I loved the part where one sip immediately made them drive drunk and Plucky said the bigger problem was being children who didn't know how to drive.
>>
>>81582171
Wait, One Beer was supposed to be satire?
>>
>>81581803
As much as I loved this show growing up, I gotta agree with you, OP. I watched the show a few years back when it was rerunning on Nickelodeon (I think it was Nickelodeon), and it was a chore to sit through. There are some timeless episodes, though ('Kon Ducki' will always be one of my favorites) and How I Spent My Summer Vacation will always be GOAT. But the series as a whole just didn't hold up very well, imo.

>>81581874
Animaniacs kinda suffers from this in places, but that show still manages to hold up to today (same with Pinky and the Brain, pre-Elmyra being shoehorned in). Freakazoid is debatable: some spots it aged like milk, others it's still pretty hilarious (and is arguably a precursor to the whole 'lol so randumb' cartoons that would later become prevalent decades later). No comment on Histeria, I never got around to watching it because I'd hit my shameful pre-teen weeaboo stage and refused to watch western animation.
>>
Animaniacs' references are more "spot the celebrity", which doesn't seem as bad groan-inducing as TTA.

Rescue Rangers holds up better than TTA, but the show that holds up the best from that era is TaleSpin. Plots that are not insulting to grown-ups, and practically no pop-culture references. Disney was never as gimmicky as WB, and tried to make shows that parents could sit through with their kids, which makes them easier to watch now that we're adults.
>>
>>81582990
Kids these days will never know about early seasons.
>>
>>81583701

Yes.

Apparently they wanted the show the show to do an anti-drug PSA and the creators were really pissed off by it so the episode was as tongue in cheek, over the top as possible. Having the kids become utterly smashed after a single sip, etc. because the writers thought the whole thing was so stupid.

The network wasn't happy and as a result the episode was subsequently banned. Or I should say removed from rotation.
>>
HAHA BUTTS
HAHA BOOGERS
HAHA ADULT JOKES THAT SHOULDN'T BE DONE IN A KID'S SHOW
Its shit
>>
>>81582074
>I've never watched Tiny Toons and thought "ok that wasn't funny, nobody knows about that anymore".
The only time I've watched teh show in the past several years was How I Spent My Summer Vacation (or was it the Spring Break one?), and there's a scene where Hamton and Plucky get lost in some kind of celebrity wrap party. The entire sequence is nothing but dated jokes about random 80s celebrities.
>>
>>81581803
>remember watching this after school and liking it
>download it, watch the first few episodes
>they feel sloggy and slow-paced

It probably gets better later, but huh.
>>
>>81582990
I haven't watched it for awhile so I can't judge if the older episodes are shit now, but it really feels attached to the early 2000's zeitgeist and I can't quite explain why, aside from "internet" jokes.
>>
>>81589952
>watched it as a kid, albeit on Nicktoons Network like a decade after the initial airing
>never really got into it, just watched it because it felt cool discovering a third Nickelodeon channel
>dad asks me why I'm watching it, curious if I actually enjoyed it or just had it on
>later learn it's considered a classic, wonder why because I liked it less than both contemporary and 90's Nicktoons

Kablam, on the other hand, my entire family loved, especially Action League Now.
>>
>>81581803
Fucking hated that show as a kid.
No idea why.
it just made me angry
>>
>>81591200
I remember enjoying it when I was young enought to get entertained just by noises so it was a goldmine of comedy for me.
Re-watched it recently and some of the episodes are legit funny while some fall flat on their faces.
Also I have no idea how they managed to air that on TV some of those things were not for a child's eye to see
>>
File: Animaniacs.jpg (38 KB, 500x479) Image search: [Google]
Animaniacs.jpg
38 KB, 500x479
>>81581803
This can't be topped.
>>
>>81591386
The OP already topped it.
>>
>>81581803
If you only watch the good episodes, it aged okay.
>>
File: Eds.gif (32 KB, 400x210) Image search: [Google]
Eds.gif
32 KB, 400x210
For me it's this. A very rare example. I liked it as a kid but rewatching it now is impossible.
>>
Is it not the viewer who aged? Since we no longer view these works with a child's eyes?
>>
I tried watching Rugrats again a couple of years ago and I had to shut it off. Kind of made me afraid to revisit too many things.
>>
>>81592276
That's me with any Klasky Csupo show to be honest. Animation and jokes are just way too awful.
>>
>>81582990
I realise, the reason people get mad about modern references in thier cartoons (like the viral video episode last season) is because it always had references that were modern for the time, and people get mad when the modern times being referenced arent ones they identify with anymore.

Same with the Simpsons
>>
>>81589952
>how to spot an "animation writer"
>>
This show is so 90s it's painful.
>>
>>81592050
The pacing and animation is terrible, but the wacky comedy is still there though
>>
>>81591386
Nah, Tiny Toons definitely had it worse than Animaniacs, which in a way, makes sense given that they were imitating the original Looney Tunes, which also have pop culture references that haven't aged well.
>>
>>81591200
how YOUNG are you?

like fucking 5?

because if you were around for R&S, EVERYONE FUCKING LOVED IT.
>>
>>81593552
That might be true, but John K. said mean things about Filmation, so we were always at war with Eurasia.
>>
>>81593394
Yeah, but Looney Tunes is still enjoyable despite the dated references.
>>
>>81593690
It's almost like the dated references in Looney Tunes were a comparatively small part of their humor, and pointing them out is a disingenuous attempt by Tiny Toons/Animaniacs fans to defend the indefensible.
>>
>>81593870
I usually forgive Animaniacs more than Tiny Toons purely based on context

The show itself takes place on the Warner Bros studio lot, so having a lot of those walk-by cameos and celebrity caricatures that show up at parties was actually sort-of appropriate.
>>
>>81589952
>HAHA ADULT JOKES THAT SHOULDN'T BE DONE IN A KID'S SHOW

But that's the best kind of adult joke.
>>
>>81594839
And R&S wasn't a kid's show.
>>
>>81591280
Same
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.