[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best Superman origin story?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: SuperOrigin.png (960 KB, 489x767) Image search: [Google]
SuperOrigin.png
960 KB, 489x767
What's the best Superman origin story?
>>
>inb4 first page of All-Star
>>
>>81564353
American Alien
>>
>>81564353
Find ways to fuse all of them, using the best parts of each. That's the perfect origin story.
>>
File: all-star_superman_origin.jpg (527 KB, 1280x1977) Image search: [Google]
all-star_superman_origin.jpg
527 KB, 1280x1977
>/thread
>>
>>81564395
>>81564412
No

That's a recap not an origin.
>>
>>81564412
/thread
>>
The one where his parents send him in a rocket ship to earth from a doomed planet, he crashes to Kansas, grows up to develop powers and uses them to become Superman.
>>
Action Comics #1
>>
>>81564402
Yeah, secret origin then
>>
>>81564397
Don't you got movies to write Max?
>>
>>81564353
Morrison's Action Comics, it's the definitive Superman origin
>>
>>81564353
JMS's Superman Earth One
>>
>>81565260
Considering every Superman origin story since has used major elements of Man of Steel, I'm pretty sure that's the definitive one

Maybe not the best, but that's what this thread is about
>>
Birthright.
>>
>>81565185
Birthright > Secret Origin
>>
Secret Origin isn't really an origin story. It was just a nice way to clean up some retcons that had been seeded in Johns's main run already
>>
NOT SECRET ORIGIN REEEEEE
>>
>>81564353

The one that's your least favorite.
>>
Birthright
>>
Secret Origin for the main universe. Action would be great as an All Star origin. I just like the Kents to be alive in the main universe.
>>
Action Comics Morrison easily.
>>
>>81565434
Nigger that was just an expanded version of Action Comics #1 making THAT the definitive version of the origin.
>>
File: 1443628935424.jpg (114 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1443628935424.jpg
114 KB, 720x960
>>81565470
>>81565474
>>81569647

>Waidshit
>>
>>81573030
Aside from the stuff with Lex which was just made up.
>>
Man of Steel is objectively the best one, all personal shit against Byrne aside.
>>
>>81573030
Aside from Superman himself, what the fuck does Man of Steel have to do with Action Comics #1?
>>
>>81564353
Birthright = Morrison Action > Secret Origin > MoS

However the Smallville stuff in Secret Origin is better than the Smallville stuff in anything else.
>>
>>81573539
Why don't you like Man of Steel?
>>
>>81565434
I think they're actually using elements from Superman The Movie's origins. Most of the actual additions by Man of Steel have been phased out in later origins.
>>
>>81564353

Secret Origin and Morrison Action are tied for first

Birthright is poopy styles
>>
>>81573594
It's not terrible but I just don't find it all that interesting.

It felt like it was prioritizing the establishment of the Post-Crisis DC universe and it's rules and character relationships over telling a solid story. Like the end where Superman just declares out loud that he's Clark Kent at heart, instead of letting that become evident through storytelling.

Everything MoS tried to do, the other origin stories did way better.
>>
>>81573030
I don't think you read Man of Steel or Action Comics #1
>>
File: Krypton_Chronicles_1.jpg (85 KB, 400x608) Image search: [Google]
Krypton_Chronicles_1.jpg
85 KB, 400x608
>>81564353
>>
How can anyone unironically like Secret Origin

It's a shitty version of the donner movies that has less heart and depth than all the previous origins
>>
File: smbr-07-17.jpg (234 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
smbr-07-17.jpg
234 KB, 900x1367
Birthright. Secret Origins was extremely vanilla and one of Johns's weakest works; it's pretty amazing how heavily he ended up improving with his Lex from there to his extraordinary depiction in Forever Evil+ Justice League, because he was terribly written and exceedingly one dimensional here, seemingly born an ingrate who asks why he'd ever want to be friends with Clark in elementary school. In contrast to Birthright, which supplied him with a character arc, zero explanation was given as to why he is the way he is (even Superman felt strangely like a cardboard cutout. No hobbies or interests; his most notable moment of characterization was the speech he made at the end). Parasite and Metallo didn't make up for this; Johns is usually an unsurpassed master at villains, so its impressive how all of them ended up sucking here. Brainiac and Last Son are what made Johns's run on Action Comics as great as it was; Secret Origins is the only arc, other than the Bizarro one, that generally doesn't make rec lists. I didn't understand why until I read it.

Man of Steel basically created Post-Crisis Superman, introducing the concepts of both the sterile, dystopia represented in the MoS movie, as well as the humanized, depowered Superman those who grew up with the DCAU are familiar with. I don't have very strong opinions about the story itself, but I have to give it mad props for the above. If I was factoring in influence, rather than necessarily writing quality, this would be at the top. Like the Pong or Super Mario Bros of Post-Crisis Superman.

I've mentioned Lex, but Clark himself was brilliantly developed and humanized throughout Birthright, as well. It was the only one that got into Clark's head and gave us an actual reason or thought process behind why he became Superman. It has no major flaws.

Morrison's Action Comics could've been great if it had just stuck around with Golden Age Superman. It really does become to weird for me to easily recommend, however.
>>
Morrison tried too hard to make Superman "hip". Maybe it was an editorial mandate but still
>>
>>81574687
Read some Golden Age comics.
>>
My only gripe with Morrison's Superman Origin, is that it didn't last long enough. It left me wanting more of that early T-Shirt superman, and I never got it. I mean, I like everything after it, but Not nearly as much.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.