[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm depressed /co/. i don't wan't want to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9
File: frustration.jpg (252 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
frustration.jpg
252 KB, 849x565
i'm depressed /co/.
i don't wan't want to make this long, but seriously, what do i need to do to get better at drawing.
because i just want to make comics and yet i can't find anything in how to improve.
it's like i buy a book on how to draw and yet it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
>>
File: Asami beating Korra vol 2.jpg (84 KB, 396x612) Image search: [Google]
Asami beating Korra vol 2.jpg
84 KB, 396x612
http://murrlogic1.deviantart.com/gallery/ <----

This is what happens to people like you OP
>>
>>81497336
oh so that's how you think of people like me?
i don't even know the meaning of the picture, but fuck you.
>>
Go to >>>/ic/ and git gud!
Draw from life! make master studies!
>>
File: art tutorial.gif (547 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
art tutorial.gif
547 KB, 500x375
>>81497244
Drawing is just like any other skill: Either you have it, or not.
>>
File: 1232421160636.jpg (33 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
1232421160636.jpg
33 KB, 680x453
>>81497244
>because i just want to make comics and yet i can't find anything in how to improve.
>it's like i buy a book on how to draw and yet it doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

Oh lordy.
>>
>>81497551
i don't even know where to fucking begin
>>
>>81497630
no seriously, i take a look at the book, or the pdf or whatever the fuck else i got, and i'm always fucking lost.
it's like i throw the book in the gabage, make a semi decent drawing and i'm like, why do i need the book?
>>
File: unnamed.gif (45 KB, 615x426) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
45 KB, 615x426
>>81497244
practice everyday, focus on what you want your style to be like, dont buy books unless you skim through them and actually analyze whats in it. Use these books as references not as textbooks, anon.
Try out different mediums, and different styles.
And one last thing anon, you cant force yourself to draw perfectly its gotta come from the heart. Passion is what makes art great, not being deprived of life.
>>
File: 1454778251042.gif (1 MB, 240x150) Image search: [Google]
1454778251042.gif
1 MB, 240x150
>>81497244
How To Draw books aren't going to do anything for you until you develop the basic ability to draw observationally and reproduce shapes on paper. And once you have that, how to draw books will be below your level.

Your best bet is to take a class on drawing or, failing that, hit /ic/ or similar places. If you're going to work from a book, do lessons based off Edwards' "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain".
>>
File: The Unreadable Squirrel Girl.jpg (115 KB, 906x872) Image search: [Google]
The Unreadable Squirrel Girl.jpg
115 KB, 906x872
Just develop a style and get comfortable with it. It's a myth that you have to be a good artist to draw comics.
>>
just draw
draw what you see
then draw what you can't see
>>
>>81497627

How about you shut the fuck up with your blatantly false opinions.

Da Vinci didn't pop out of the womb doing detailed anatomy sketches of his mothers vaginal canal. He filled journal after journal after journal with notes and anatomy studies and sketches -there's literally thousands of pages of his practice, and there could be thousands more that weren't preserved.

Any talent is earned. So fuck off.
>>
>>81497244
Draw. Just draw. Do it for fun, teach yourself to enjoy it first.

If you're serious about it after a few years, do some anatomy study, figure drawing, and maybe take a course on pen&ink or a similar art course at your local college (1 individual course is usually inexpensive, and will only take an hour or two out of your day).

Finally, you need to be very critical of your own work. Don't bash it, or yourself, that's not what I mean, and never give up on something half-finished, but when you're done,examine it carefully, identify what you like or dislike, what iits obvious faults are, and work hard to tackle those problems and eliminate them. Can't draw hands? Draw a shit-ton of hands until they start to look good.

Don't be afraid of getting yourself out there, and don't be upset by criticism. You've gotta let it go, but sift through it for problems you yourself may have missed.
>>
>>81497336
You're a faggot.
>>81497627
You're a retard.
>>81499330
You're not technically wrong, but lowering the bar is horrible advice.

Hey, OP, the following people AREN'T full of shit:
>>81497551
>>81499198
>>81499242
>>81499374
>>81499386
>>81499492

And don't be afraid of being a loser. That's just a part of the process, and the only people who aren't losers never fucking tried.
>>
>>81497627
Don't worry anon, I'M smart enough to see that you're joking.
>>
File: Image Progress.png (3 MB, 1530x6000) Image search: [Google]
Image Progress.png
3 MB, 1530x6000
I've been drawing for most of my life, and you know what? My artwork still sucks, but as pic related shows, it's definitely improved over time. My biggest issue is getting myself to keep drawing and evolve outside of the standard 3/4th pose, and you know what's helping me with that? Drawing.

You can learn some nice techniques in a tutorial book, I've read plenty when I was young, but it never helped unless I implemented it, and even then, some of it just didn't work for me; and still doesn't. The only way your art is going to improve is if you keep trying, because you will notice a difference.

But you also have to ask yourself why are you drawing? I draw because it's what I love to do and want to do it professionally as a cartoonist. And I have in the past; I've done an internal concept promo for coke and I've done some misc. commission work for people online, and you know where I am? Working as an overnight fry cook and register clerk. Art is weird, I've seen shitty artists being praised and getting position after position because they know the right people, and I've seen amazing artists torn to shreds or just getting no where.

If you love drawing keep drawing, if you want to make comics, make comics, and eventually you'll get somewhere if that's what you want. That's not to say, you'll get anywhere career wise, but at least your art will be in a better place.
>>
File: circles-compact[1].png (12 KB, 281x364) Image search: [Google]
circles-compact[1].png
12 KB, 281x364
>>81497244
Circle patterns, like stacking sticks. Draw page after page of circles, starting from the bottom. Try not to draw inside each circle while making a circle. Try to get each circle as close to each circle to make a stack. Even stacks look like pic related. First challenge is to get the circles to touch. Next challenge is to give them each equal space between each circle. The primary part is consistent circle sizes so they all fit. A pro will be able to alternate stack circle sizes in each column. Then each row. (Row is vertical, column is horizontal)

It's just a LOT of constant drawing and how you hold your drawing implement/devices. If you end up with a bruise on your arm/wrist/fingers anywhere, you're doing it wrong. Like a runner that runs in a way that hurts the legs, you need to pay attention.
>>
>>81497244
Practice is more important than anything else, OP. Take some time everyday to draw with and without references (references can really inspire you to follow better techniques) and you will naturally improve. That's how everybody does it.
Also, if you don't feel like you've improved over time, look back on your old stuff after a lot of practice. You'll notice a serious difference.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.