[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can he be fixed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 17
File: Savage_Hawkman_Vol_1_9_Textless.jpg (665 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
Savage_Hawkman_Vol_1_9_Textless.jpg
665 KB, 900x1350
Every writer had a totally different take on Hawkman. Sometimes he's an alien, sometimes he a reincarnated Egyptian, sometimes he's both, sometimes they actually let Carter and Katar be separate people. People think he is seriously underpowered.

What can be done with the guy? Is it possible to use him any more?
>>
>>81456983
just do for him what they did with aquaman.. and moreso. he's a badass warrior, so make him the GREATEST warrior of SPACE. space hercules. a reborn egyptian-alien demigod. have him be part of egyptian AND thanagarian myth, seeming equally special to both worlds.
>>
>>81456983
>Is it possible to use him any more?

Yes? Hawkman isn't even hard to write, you don't need to bring retarded continuity issues up every time he appears

Just ignore the Liefelding and stick with the space cop background
>>
We just need writers with actual talent and actual love for the character. Most comic writers today are fucking casuals, plebs or hispters.
>>
A guy that flies with bird wings and uses a made, used as a space cop?

explain co
>>
>>81456983
I feel like Byrne wanted to make him into DCs Wolverine. A scrappy hairy underdog that likes using pointy sharp things and heals real good so he doesn't mind getting brutalized in a fight But he usually ends up winning somehow because he loves fighting things.
>>
>Unarmored squishy guy that flies a few dozen miles an hour as his only superpower
>Only uses a plain old mace
>Tries to hang with the JLA

And Aquaman keeps getting shit for being the underpowered guy hanging with Superman, Wonderwoman and Green Lantern.
>>
>>81457831
Still better than the guy who dresses as an animal and throws boomerangs at people as his thing.
>>
>>81457831
>>81457898
I honestly never understood why Batman gets shit for being the non powered guy while Green Arrow gets a pass.

He has a lot less utility than Batman, has none of his gadgets or vehicles, or knowhow like stored objects of power or plans to take people down no matter their strength level.
>>
>fix Hawkman

Hawkman doesn't "NEED" to be fixed.

He's either a Space Cop with fancy sci-fi tech wings who bashes criminals' faces in with a mace, or he's an adventurer archaeologist who bashes in criminals' faces with antique weaponry, like maces.

It's not that hard.
>>
He was all fixed before the New 52. Now half the god damned comics make no sense. Again. Wonderful. The only story DC can tell is fixing their own pointless changes and it's utterly tiring.
>>
>>81457831
>Unarmored squishy guy
the nth metal makes them really durable
>>
>>81458005
Too damn hard for most DC writers of the last 20 years apparently.
>>
Well first you gotta wipe out Themyscira
>>
>>81458137
Nah it just makes him heal real fast.

He got his shit fucked by manhawks not too long ago. They were a speedbump to Atom Smasher.

Also did not stop Kendra from getting shot
>>
>>81457465
Aren't you forgetting more than half of the hawksnarl
>>
>>81458165
You mean Thanagar?
>>
File: images (7).jpg (26 KB, 322x456) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
26 KB, 322x456
>>81456983
Am I the only one who find hella strange and hilarious, rht one of his single constants is that he is related to this guy in this pic?
>>
File: xdei3bneko1lberscghi.png (827 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
xdei3bneko1lberscghi.png
827 KB, 800x450
Who cares, what really matters is when are we going to get Hawkgirl back on the JLA?
>>
File: Hawk Family is Fucked Up 01.jpg (2 MB, 1896x2282) Image search: [Google]
Hawk Family is Fucked Up 01.jpg
2 MB, 1896x2282
>>81458621
You mean this?
>>
File: Hawk Family is Fucked Up 02.png (3 MB, 1900x2188) Image search: [Google]
Hawk Family is Fucked Up 02.png
3 MB, 1900x2188
>>81460711
>>
>>81460711
>>81460759
Question, is the term "Sandman" used in Gaiman's Sandman to refer to either Morpheus or Daniel? Because I always just think of them as "Dream of the Endless" to simplify things a little bit.
>>
>>81462510
He has a lot of names nigga. He is refered as Sandman just one time.
>>
>>81456983
Yes? He's not that complicated a character since you don't have to bring up his background every time he appears.

Anyway he's like Donna Troy at this point. His convoluted backstory is half his character now by writers' standards.
>>
>>81456983
He got fixed years ago.
It was awesome. You just never read it.
Go familiarize yourself with comics by reading them instead of reading ABOUT them.
>>
>>81458143
You know how most writers are garbage? Well that's because most writers are fucking garbage, seriously.

They already fixed him JSA and Hawkman v4, and he was a major character in both AND a total fucking badass in both. It provided only a minor bit of challenge for the writers and then they moved on and just used him instead.
>>
>>81456983
1) You don't need to fix his origin to use him. His origin has been unified at points in the past before. He's worth using, because he's a great character with a great co-star who is tied really strongly to him. Hawkman is good because he can realistically be challenged by a lot of things (he is basically just a somewhat-above-human guy who is an amazing fighter, but nth metal is bullshit so you can do a lot of fun stuff too) and because you can do so many stories that work with his history: space cop, yes, sword and planet, yes, historical adventure, yes, romance, yes, weird fantasy thing with a kingdom of birds, yes, weird supernatural thing with an evil god and dreamworld, yes.

2) His origin has already been unified, but it's unraveled since then. My dream shot at unifying/retconning it again would be some kind of Immortal Iron Fist thing where Hawkman and Hawkwoman (let's drop the -girl) have been reincarnating since the early times of Thanagar and have split between Earth and Thanagar since the original crashed ship. You'd get an onrunning story involving the current Hawkman and Hawkwoman, with a change of perspective from one to the other every issue, intermixed with histories of previous Hawkman and Hawkwomen which feed into the main plot.
>>
>>81463636
Uh, Hawkmen and Hawkwomen sorry. I'm not proposing some kind of time-traveling harem thing.
>>
>>81463636
>>81463727
Someone did that already.
And did it; Hawkman v4 had "flashback arcs" where you'd follow one of Hawkman's past incarnations, and in the next arc quite frequently what happened in the flashback arc would come up in the following arc, which was always a modern day one.
>>
>>81457729
>spoonfeed me, I'm a worthless casual
Nah.
>>
>>81463831
Aren't those all earth-based though? Also I'm totally against the whole 'I'll be your partner but not your partner' start there. But you're right, it broadly has been done.
>>
>>81456983

I love how his convoluted writing has even become part of his character. He's just crazy and no one really knows who/what he is, not even him.

>>81457201

Legends of Tomorrow is doing something interesting. The Hawks got their power from a meteor that crashed in their ancient city and destroyed it. The meteor was the nth metal. However, experimenting with the same meteors made hawk people/monsters.

I'm thinking the meteor was actually the remains of Thanagar the planet? Because that could be a really workable/cool way to tie them into together.
>>
>>81463870
This isn't /a/
>>
>>81464064
Oh, so we just let people who can't be bothered to read even a fucking wiki post here? No, fuck off.
>>
Shouldn't Carter be a better fighter than Batman at this point?
>>
>>81464792
better how? he has an adventage for using weapons? he's physically stronger? has moves that batman dosn't?
>>
>>81464792
>>81465705
Depends on what you mean by "better". Certainly he'd have more pure combat experience with his past lives, but combat isn't a thing where you constantly "level up" and your stats increase forever.
A lot of really effective fighting all looks identical because there's only so many ways a human body can hit a person based on how our muscles and joints function and only so many ways you can effectively hit another human being due to the exact same thing.
Combat experience and training actually has diminishing returns in real life, and special forces training and the like isn't about improving your "elite" physical skills like shooting (which are probably already as good as you need them to ever be) but diversifying your skill set with training that a regular soldier wouldn't otherwise get because their duties don't require it.

I would say Hawkman's a better fighter then Batman not because he his combat experience puts him at a higher "level" but because he has in a more diverse array of skills from his past lives and there's basically NO weapon on Earth he isn't highly experienced with at this point.

Also he's superhumanly strong and heals faster with the flight harness on. That's kind of a huge advantage.
>>
>>81466033
Also, most of the time, like when he's not Frank Miller Batman, Batman tends not to kill people and takes some caution in how he fights.

Hawkman rolls fucking HARD.
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (1).jpg (2 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (1).jpg
2 MB, 2711x3873
>CBR: Assuming you could have picked any hero in the DC sandbox, what made you lay claim to Hawkman?

>KYLE BAKER: I thought that a story that featured flying might make good use of the large size format. I imagined that large aerial panoramas would be impressive. Superman was already assigned to another artist, so I chose Hawkman because he flies.
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (2).jpg (2 MB, 3000x4345) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (2).jpg
2 MB, 3000x4345
If you don't really like this page we can't be friends it is perfect.

>In terms of telling the story, how quickly did you come up with the story once you knew you were telling a Hawkman tale?

I try to give superheroes problems that their unique powers would be best equipped to solve. It’s important that a character that can fly be given an opportunity to do so. He also has the power to talk to birds. I can only think of one crime that is committed in the sky, and that’s plane hijacking. So I came up with that almost immediately.

Hawkman also tends to fight space aliens a lot, probably because he is a space alien himself. Almost all the Hawkman stories I read in my research featured alien villains. So I figured the hijackers should turn out to be space aliens. When writing superhero stories it’s crucial that the villain be more powerful than the hero. A superpowered flying man from space fighting a bunch of human terrorists isn’t going to be much of a fight. Over the next few weeks, Hawkman’s dilemma will get much worse. He gets injured, and beaten up by a more powerful adversary. Readers should fear that Hawkman may fail, and possibly even die. I don’t want to give too many more surprises away. Suffice it to say that as action-packed as the first few episodes have been, the story has barely begun.
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (3).jpg (2 MB, 3000x4415) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (3).jpg
2 MB, 3000x4415
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (4).jpg (3 MB, 3000x4346) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (4).jpg
3 MB, 3000x4346
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (5).jpg (2 MB, 3000x4314) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (5).jpg
2 MB, 3000x4314
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (6).jpg (3 MB, 3000x4148) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (6).jpg
3 MB, 3000x4148
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (7).jpg (3 MB, 3000x4341) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (7).jpg
3 MB, 3000x4341
>>
>>81464211
>Oh, so we just let people who can't be bothered to read even a fucking wiki post here?
You gonna stop him?
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (8).jpg (3 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (8).jpg
3 MB, 2711x3873
>>
>>81466115

>next issue: Mile High Clubbing!

so beautiful
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (9).jpg (3 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (9).jpg
3 MB, 2711x3873
>Can you share any details about the story you are going to tell? We know we’re going to see Dinosaur Island at some point. If ever there was a hero who should be doing battle on Dinosaur Island, Hawkman certainly comes to mind.

Yes, Dinosaur Island will be showing up eventually. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to think of images that would make the best use of a larger page format. Panoramic aerial vistas came to mind, and of course dinosaurs. Dinosaurs always look better large. Also, the same way I said a character with flight powers requires story dilemmas which necessitate flight, a character that carries a mace and a sword must be given opportunities to use them. The big challenge in writing for a hero who carries a mace and sword is that these are not defensive weapons. There is no ‘stun’ setting on a mace. A mace is designed solely for smashing bones and tearing flesh. As a writer, I can’t give Hawkman a human adversary. It would be cruel. If the plane hijackers had been normal human beings, Hawkman would have bashed their skulls in and stabbed them. Even though the hijackers have shot the pilot, the punishment exceeds the crime. On the other hand, beheading a giant space lobster with a sword seems quite all right, even heroic. A man using a mace to battle a T-Rex seems positively sporting.
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (910).jpg (3 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (910).jpg
3 MB, 2711x3873
>>
>>81456983
not really, just place him in team books or make him a jobber like Red Tornado, or Green Lanterns out of their own books
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (911).jpg (3 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (911).jpg
3 MB, 2711x3873
>>
>>81456983
The problem is that Hawkman brings nothing unique to the Justice League. There is never a threat that can only be beaten with his help. He's not the best nor the worst at anything. He's just another strong guy that helps when they need many strong guys.

Hawkman would be a much cooler character if he existed outside of the DC universe as a standalone hero.
>>
File: WC Hawkman_ (912).jpg (3 MB, 2711x3873) Image search: [Google]
WC Hawkman_ (912).jpg
3 MB, 2711x3873
>>
>>81466242
Back in th silver or brnze age what was his gimmick on the JL? And what is his gimmick now?
>>
>>81466086
With Batman you might end up in the hospital after he takes you down.
If Hawkman fights you you WILL end up in the hospital and the injuries are likely to be permanent.

Carter is very much Conan the Barbarian crossed with Indiana Jones.
>>
>>81466294
>>81466242
Fun fact; powers as roles is something relatively new in comics and also highly redundant since in almost EVERY team there's a lot of overlap; there hasn't even been a single Justice League team without at least TWO people around as strong as Superman or so close to it that it makes no practical difference.

As a character Hawkman's value to the team is partially his fighting skills (there's probably nobody in the DCU that matches him in sheer ferocity), but also his perspective as a person; he's a natural leader (even Batman admits his commanding gravitas is extremely magnetic) with so much long-term tactical experience that it literally outpaces human history and he led the FIRST superhero team on DC's Earth to boot.

Finally, he also has personal views coming from his literal lifetimes of experience that help the Justice League make balanced decisions.

But really, he's a JSA character, not a JLA character.
>>
Yes.
I think the angel they tried to do in the New 52 was decent, but didn't go far enough. They wanted Indiana Jones with Aliens, when it should have been Indiana Jones in Space. You could also do what they did with GLtAS where they just make them space barbarians and rogues. Really, just make it fucking Conan in Space. Forget most of the shit before.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.