[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys Im writing a dad character but my dad passed away when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14
File: 1457686777280.jpg (96 KB, 615x643) Image search: [Google]
1457686777280.jpg
96 KB, 615x643
Hey guys Im writing a dad character but my dad passed away when I was a baby so I need some of you guys to describe me what a dad character is. Cus I dont Know.

Pic unrelated
>>
File: Sad Batman.jpg (10 KB, 265x192) Image search: [Google]
Sad Batman.jpg
10 KB, 265x192
>describe me what a dad character is
Dead
>>
>>81456637
they usually have sex with their son
>>
>>81456796
Not the good ones
>>
>>81456796
This.
>>
>>81456870
I'm sorry your dad didn't love you. Pretty shitty father desu
>>
>>81456870
Only the best ones.
>>
File: 20140919.png (531 KB, 684x3168) Image search: [Google]
20140919.png
531 KB, 684x3168
>>81456637
>>
He dies when you're a baby
>>
>>81456961
That was wretchedly unfunny.
>>
I didn't have a dad growing up either. You won't really know what a dad is like unless you were friends with someone who had an active dad in their life you knew well growing up or you become one yourself. Dads (and parents in general) in fiction tend to have their roles simplified and you won't realize how much they do if you try to learn everything about them from fictional dads.
>>
File: 20140905.png (246 KB, 684x1447) Image search: [Google]
20140905.png
246 KB, 684x1447
>>81456961
>>
File: 20140905after.gif (13 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
20140905after.gif
13 KB, 360x360
>>81457049
>>
File: sadGabe.jpg (14 KB, 251x224) Image search: [Google]
sadGabe.jpg
14 KB, 251x224
Well, Dad's usually live alone in a month-rate hotel after the Mom's divorce them to live with a much younger man who is about the same age as the oldest Son character. The Dad ekes out a miserable existence at a dead-end job just to pay for the child-support of the remaining teenage characters. And talking to Dad characters is a sole-crushingly miserable experience because you know everything about them is as shitty as it is because they fucking love their kids and won't move somewhere that's cheaper to live at and has better employment because then they'll never be able to spend time with them, but god damn it is still gut-wrenching to know that Dad's only topic of conversation is about being alone.

So, rip off a fucking stupid 90's sports movie instead.
>>
>>81456637
How about you kill yourself you sack of shit raised by a single mom
>>
File: 2001-01-01.jpg (306 KB, 700x1058) Image search: [Google]
2001-01-01.jpg
306 KB, 700x1058
>>81456637
What are you new here?
>>
>>81457166
would it make her feel better about her dad if a stranger fucked her and it felt worse than when her dad did it?
>>
File: 1459400861587.jpg (56 KB, 405x600) Image search: [Google]
1459400861587.jpg
56 KB, 405x600
>>81457084
I know, shits rough man. Dad just came back into the picture cause I'm out on my own finally. We went and got a burger at Whataburger. It was the best patty melt I ever had.
>>
>>81457304
No!
>>
>>81457390
a dog then?
>>
>>81457084
This, but flip mom and dad's roles, and replace the young man with a young woman
>>
A dad character tries to choke the mom character downstairs, whilst the son character and his friend are upstairs scared for their lives.
>>
>>81456637
A dad character is someone constantly dealing with the pressure of showing you how much he loves and holding back the urge to coddle you because he's still trying to make you into a man.
>>
My dad is a sarcastic asshole and a hard working man. Honestly he kind of reminds me of Scott Lang because after he got out of prison he tries to be my role model and will do everything he can to just be a good person. But if you're going with a TV dad just make the character an idiot with a hot wife.
>>
Dads usually pocket your childhood savings and use them to pay for their failing businesses I think.
>>
File: v3cqkWw.jpg (5 KB, 98x117) Image search: [Google]
v3cqkWw.jpg
5 KB, 98x117
>>81456637
Just make the character black, that way you dont have to write him!
>>
>>81457675
Or gambling debts.
>>
>>81456637
>>81457084
>>81457675
>>81456796

Guys you're doing a lot of projecting but not a lot of helping.
>>
My dad has always been the parent that I look up to the most. He's stern and gave me more than one spanking when I was a shithead little kid, but I know he worries about me and cares about me. He was the one who picked me up when I totaled my first car and as I cried sitting in his pickup truck because I knew I fucked up hard, he said to me "any problem that you can buy your way out of isn't a problem". That stuck with me.

He grew up in a large, poor family where their own dad hugely stressed education and hard work ethics, so every one of his siblings managed to get some sort of college degree or certification, and he stressed the same thing with me and my brothers as well. I felt like he was too overbearing during college, wanting to make sure that I had good job prospects, was getting a high GPA, all of that. I had an anxiety breakdown my senior year because I wasn't sure what to do with my degree but didn't want to let him down and not be successful out of college, and I remember admitting that to him and that I WASN'T going to be going to med school after all, and he just hugged me and told me that he had the same issues with anxiety and depression when he was my age too. That's when it really hit me that we're more alike than I realized, and knowing that he's gone through the same problems I have and won't be surprised by that shit really helped me through a lot of things.

Sorry if this sounds a little disjointed, my dad means a lot to me and I hope you get a little bit of an idea from it. I don't want to think of what will happen when he dies. I can't imagine a world where I can't text message him during my lunch break and bitch about newspaper headlines with him
>>
>>81457895
I could be your daddy and have sex with you. Would that help?
>>
A dad is someone who spends the first 10 years of you life in jail then comes home and molest your sisters before dying of an overdose.
>>
>>81457895
What did you honestly expect?
>>
>>81458016
why didn't he molest both children? That's child favoritism and could really mess up your kid.
>>
File: 1349851983368.jpg (63 KB, 539x530) Image search: [Google]
1349851983368.jpg
63 KB, 539x530
>tfw your a disappointment to you father, and you can see it on his face whenever you talk.
>>
>>81456637
You just made me sad
>>
>>81457906
Thanks, btw, one day he will pass away.

And you will have to deal with it.
>>
File: tumblr_lshod73a4Q1qlq6o4o1_500.jpg (64 KB, 320x642) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lshod73a4Q1qlq6o4o1_500.jpg
64 KB, 320x642
>>81456796
>Can confirm
Pic unrelated
>>
>>81458177
Why?
>>
>>81456637
>my dad passed away when I was a baby so I need some of you guys to describe me what a dad character is
anon... are you okay?

do you want to talk about it?
>>
>>81458177
Why?

>>81458085
Well yea, he wouldn't want to mess up his kids
>the irony humor
>>
>>81456637
that depends a lot. You should be thinking "how was his father like" if you really want to make your that father character.

write the story in your head; his father was strict, so he resent him and treat his son more openly, with more love, freedom and attention. If his father was absent, he won't be the best father either. One or two issues, drinking, poor... may or may not love his son. If he was more of a mama's boy, he will be more open with his own feelings, sometimes even relying on his son instead of his son depending on him.
>>
Dad characters blame you and not themselves for their mistakes. They also think the son owes him for raising him, so the son needs to reach the dad character's goals for him. They also commonly think they know what it means to be a good dad, but fail to realize they were never that person. They are ashamed of you if their children's friends do better than you, despite the dad character's lack of paternal guidance. They also refuse to accept that you are an adult.

Mom characters are written the same way, just more materialistic.

Both are vain and evaluate their self-worth based on how others perceive them.
>>
File: 1439875660404.jpg (67 KB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
1439875660404.jpg
67 KB, 659x609
>>81458142
>tfw your dad is a disappointment to himself and has no ground to judge you for your relatively trivial shortcomings
>>
>>81458299
Why wouldn't I be, the only reason why I felt bad about my dad being passing away was becuause when I casually mentioned it people started freaking out and saying their sorry and shit like that like it was a horrible thing.

But im ok, even though I still have memories of him and remember greeving him as a baby and I stoped walking and revertes back to crawling doesn't affect me becuase I got over it.

Its just the the word father is meaningless to me and I fear I might be losing out on an aspect of my life other people could not dream to live without.
But not really becuase I live my life with no problems its just that my dad passed away when I was a baby.

I mean the only annoying thing is when people like you post a dramaticised comment acting like it is some horrible thing. But thats all it is just annoying.

I dont need any guidence in this world because I have myself. I'm a smart individual who has taught himself everything. So no anon Im perfectly ok, I have gotten over everything legitly and Im better than ok

Ok.
>>
File: 1318569254049.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1318569254049.png
16 KB, 200x300
>>81458182

We had a heart attack scare last year. He retired this week but knowing my dad, I don't think he's going to take it easy at all in the meantime.
>>
>>81456637
Anyone can be a dad. The type of dad a person is depends on their own personality as well as their interaction with their own dad as a child.

I will probably be a shitty father
>>
>>81458859

Everyone thinks they're a shitty father. My parents readily apologize to my oldest brother about being their "test trial" when they still didn't know what the fuck they were doing, and he turned out arguably the more normal out of all of us.
>>
> I still have memories of him and remember greeving him as a baby and I stoped walking and revertes back to crawling

Damn, that's sad
>>
>>81458946
I know, the horrible spelling makes me sad too.
>>
>>81458808
>I dont need any guidence in this world because I have myself. I'm a smart individual who has taught himself everything.

Really that's what a dad's supposed to be there for. He's made all those dumb fucking mistakes so you don't have to.

I mean, you're not going to listen to him anyways and still make the same mistakes, but years down the road at least you'll have something to laugh about together over a couple beers.
>>
>>81458934
Not my dad. Everyday he wonders how I went wrong, never thinking that maybe I'm a fuck up because I learned from him.
>>
>>81458946
Yea, but I got over it.
>>
>>81459209
I'm sorry you never got to feel that thick fatherly finger explore your young butthole.
>>
>>81458808
yes, yes.. let it all out.. we're here for you.

we're not a caring and loving father, but.. we will do what we can.

i mean, like your father we weren't there to give you presents, or take you to the playground, or hug you.. but from now on we will do everything to help you.
>>
File: 1315964904240.jpg (16 KB, 282x262) Image search: [Google]
1315964904240.jpg
16 KB, 282x262
>this thread

Am I the only one on this board with a positive relationship with my dad?
>>
>>81458808
>>81459478

i mean, even though it will never be as close as the inate love a father have for his child, we will help you somehow.

well.. and anyway, at least you have your mother right?
>>
>>81459533
I have a decent relationship with my dad. I just wish he'd move on. Mom dropped his ass years ago. It sucked then and it still sucks, but she is not going to take him back. Stop holding a torch and fuck one of the secretaries at your office.
>>
>>81459561
Thank you anon, it means a lot. Thank you. Yes.
>>
>good intentions
>trying to stop you from making their mistakes
>works harder than they tell you so you dont worry
>coming to grips with their status as a father, when not too long ago they were a young and free teen
>trying to relate to you despite your world being almost unrecognizable when they were your age
>the first one who would have your back in a serious crisis
>basically an older version of you trying to make you a better man
>>
>>81456637
I know most of the replies are jokes, but I'll answer seriously.

My dad had trouble expressing emotions towards me and my siblings. I've seen my dad cry once, when our dog died. You could always count on him to provide for us and he worked a job he didn't like for many years because he knew it was best for our family. He was very irritable while working that job and we had to be careful to not upset him or he'd get pretty angry.

He loves sports and coached my baseball teams until I was like 13. He coached at least two teams for all three of my other brothers as well. One of my favorite memories with him is just me and him driving to watch the little league world series when I was like 18 or something. We just camped in a state park and watched 4 or so games a day for 3 or 4 days.

After I went to college, he did a lot of small things that really showed he was thinking about me. When I went to visit him, he would give me a roll of quarters for laundry or a chocolate bar that was my favorite. Just a little over a year ago while visiting me while I was working for a company on an internship, he told me he was proud of me. I think maybe the second or third time he's said that to me and really meant it. It means a lot to hear that from your dad.
>>
Because my dad was apparently abused as a child he coddled me and now I'm a hikkineet with little future prospects. If by some miracle I become normal and have my own children I hope I wouldn't fuck them up as badly. Although part of the coddling is probably due to how fucking lazy he is.
>>
>>81458741
>tfw your dad is also a disappointment to himself but takes out his self-hatred on you
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.