[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DARKSEID Kinda confined in a small place CONFLICT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: DSwar.jpg (13 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
DSwar.jpg
13 KB, 179x282
Why was this so shitty?

The Hype was huge. The artist was top tier. It had being building for years. It literally had the 2 top evil guys from DC fighting each other.
Why did it fail so hard?

It was just anothyer johns event designed to sell toys it alternative suits instead of a real story?
>>
Half the cool shit takes place off screen

Johns' strengths in writing are character-focused, not big-ass-cosmic-symbology focused, and this book suffers for it because he's trying to do too much.
>>
>>81456210
>because he's trying to do too much.
And somehow he's doing so little because it feels like nothing has happened and everything will need to happen in the next two or three issues.
>>
>>81456210
I feel like he tried to do the "conflicted and deep but really likble bad guy" with the anti-monitor. But hat wih sinestro or black adam as great ith Anti-monitor it just end up being silly.
>>
>>81456299
Decompressed Storytelling.

we spend 2 issues hyping the CSA, just ultraman dying in 2 panels.
>>
>>81456326

And pointless. When you strip literally everything that made the Anti-Monitor a memorable antagonistic force then you're not left with any reason why we should give a shit about him in the first place.
>>
>>81456151
Why won't people like you show up in the storytimes? Because there was nothing but hype for the issue in the threads with 500 replies.
>>
>>81456441

thats because new issue storytimes are for the poor retarded anons who either can't or won't pick up the issue themselves, or know how to pirate it and read it on their own

aka scrubs.
>>
>>81456441
>Because there was nothing but hype for the issue in the threads with 500 replies.

kek, that as at the start, the hype is dead and most of the post are no complains.
New issues barely make in into the 300 posts.
>>
>>81456441
People usually don't go into the storytime if they're not big on the comic.
>>
>>81456151
>It was just anothyer johns event designed to sell toys it alternative suits instead of a real story?

Somewhere along the way, people began to believe that Geoff Johns was capable of writing something other than this. I don't know why this happened, but it did.
>>
>>81457488
Maybe his JSA run, 52 or his subsequent Booster Gold story?
As the first post in this thread says, he's an excellent character writer.
>>
>>81456151
Is this still going on? Is Superwomans baby Darkseid reborn or some shit?
>>
>>81457705

Shit even right before Darkseid War, Amazo Virus was a terrific little piece that focused on the Trinity + Luthor.
>>
So what the hell happened to Captain Cold during all of this?
>>
>>81456151
New gonna 52
>>
>>81458101

He probably "NOPE"d the fuck out when he realized this shit was way too far above his pay grade.
>>
I've said this before, but Darkseid War is probably the clearest confirmation that the gap between Convergence and Rebirth was not exactly intentional. They probably wanted Rebirth to come out sooner (i.e. be a replacement for DCYou), but they simply didn't come up with the idea soon enough.

So, while they were hammering out all of the details for Rebirth, you got a lot of the shlock of DCYou: very long and decompressed storylines for major characters; creators being asked to write for D-listers to fill in the gaps; A-minus and B-listers quite literally having their editorial be told "wait, don't use that storyline; use a crappier one until Rebirth starts".

Darkseid War is, again, a good example of all this because -- while I wouldn't call it a failure -- it's clear that it's decompressed out of a need to not step on too many toes, rather than a desire to tell the absolute best story.
>>
>>81458034

Amazo virus as pure filler, Luthor in the league as a terrible idea. It as just "it's just another arc where e bench half of the team".
>>
>>81456299
This. Doing too much and yet acomplishing so little because its so slow. Its just a disaster right now. A few good panels here and there but it is totally a disaster.

And no Orion. I'm mad cause I like Orion and he should've been involved, but I'm happy he stayed away from this train wreck.
>>
nigga its not even over yet
>>
>>81459449

Yeah it sucked that a lot of team got benched, but that's why I said that it was good for the Trinity itself and Luthor. They got some great moments in.
>>
darkseid war isn't that bad - parts of it are really good but its always the small moments:
Kanto appreciating wine, mister miracle's general stuff, the justice league at a crime scene, mobius-bats being a dick, ultraman acting like a crack addict, etc.

The overall plot is where it gets not so good. its like three different stories fitted into one. "oh shit here's darkseid vs. anti-monitor, but its only the first 4 issues" "now here's two stories about everyone teaming up to fight the anti-monitor and grail doing some shit with the anti-life equation"

Like the smaller, character-based moments are really good for me. The fact that he read every mister miracle comic for research only have to him appear sporadically shows the amount of dedication to his craft. Unfortunately dude wants to tell three stories in one when it should've just been darkseid vs. anti-monitor for 8 issues
>>
>>81461296

Yeah, its like theyre pushing him and he's going outside what he's good at, which always sucks, it happens all the time across comics/tv/movies/etc
>>
File: miracleandbarda.png (316 KB, 400x409) Image search: [Google]
miracleandbarda.png
316 KB, 400x409
It's not shitty, it's just taking too fucking long, like Forever Evil. In the trade, it will be excellent.
>>
>>81458034
Actually sidelining the rest of the league for the trinity has been what the entire New 52 Justice League has been about and why it's sucked so bad for so long.

The only good arc in the New 52 League was the one that fucking focused on Aquaman.
>>
It's really not that bad tbqh

He probably thought it up while dicking around with his action figures
>>
File: 10-11.jpg (2 MB, 2385x1834) Image search: [Google]
10-11.jpg
2 MB, 2385x1834
>>81461587
like for instance this scene is really good for its little details
>>
File: 12.jpg (664 KB, 1193x1834) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
664 KB, 1193x1834
>>81462279
followed up right by this. it's a bunch of small moments and the league acting somewhat like heroes who can cooperate for once
>>
File: shazampingpong.png (147 KB, 532x200) Image search: [Google]
shazampingpong.png
147 KB, 532x200
I'm waiting for a ping pong tournament issue.
>>
>>81461296
>the justice league at a crime scene

That was shit actually, i mean barry being better at forensics than bruce? Barry is fast at his work, but he as never a big deal in his field. Bruce got the same degree in 6 months.
>>
>>81463108
Yeah, but he's literally FASTER than Bruce. Bruce nudged him around, but Barry can simply do everything ridiculously efficiently.
>>
>>81462336
That is not that good.
>>
>>81461746
Typical shipfag. Kill yourself.
>>
>>81463144
Yes he can, but the "bruce has to swallow his pride" bit as pure retardation. Also, neither Bruce nor Flash would let all those people into the room.
>>
It feels more like a Wonder Woman story than a New Gods/Anti-Monitor story. It's got some fun character moments, but Darkseid and AM have basically done nothing.
>>
>>81463457
>It feels more like a Wonder Woman
How? She has done nothing but narrate.
>>
>>81463614
And the new gods had done jackshit.

It's a non-event.
>>
>>81463614
The story is being told from her perspective and there is some Amazon shit going on, she's sorta related to Grail.
>>
>>81463144
>>81463108
how can you do a dna test im a fraction of a second?
>>
>>81463851
That's not worth much if the apparent protagonist doesn't do shit.
>>
>>81464041
run to the lan
???
Run back
proffit.

Its just really dumb if Bruce had a "instant" dna mini machine in his belt it ould make sense. But i guess Barry traveled to the future and took the exames? I don't know.
>>
>>81464100
it's a "batman had god poers now and does nothin" episode
It's a superman is the god of strenght adn Ultraman IHKO him in one panel episode
>it's a "omegaforce" is a thing episode
>>
Since Rebirth is launching in couple of months, what will happen to Geoff's next story arc. Seven seas some shit.
>>
>>81465227
He's apparently still working on it.
>>
>>81457917
This month we find out. JL got delayed.
>>
>>81465227
He said at the rebirth event he's still working on it and it'll be part of the aquaman book or something
>>
>>81456373
The am was just a big space whale to punch.

Coie isnt legendary for its writing
>>
>>81456151
>It literally had the 2 top evil guys from DC fighting each other.

defeating expectations, you ding dong
>>
>>81465227
>. Seven seas some shit.
>>81465516
>>81465516
>He's apparently still working on it.

Sure, and he still working on the zoom corps, has tons of plans for billy batson, is working on something for wally west, the metal men...
>>
>>81456358

that was dissapointinf as fuck that they killed Ultraman like that, I was expecting for him and the rest of the Crime Syndicate play a huge part on the story
>>
>>81465708
Are you defending this piece of shit?
>>
>>81465922

yes, the point is not about Darkside vs the anti monitor because any retard know that even Darkseid doesn't stand a chance, and what happened????
>>
>>81465664
yeah johns is cowriting it with abnett now because abnett's on aquaman for good it seems
>>
Why does /co/ like being contrarion faggots just for the sake of it?
>>
>>81466263
I know, right? I can't believe how many people claim to like this trash.
>>
>>81466122
>implying Johnseid is not as weak as anti-Johnsnitor

Both are nerfed as fuck, generic tank aliens
>>
>>81466263

Too many people pretending Johns crap doesnt smell.
>>
>>81466263

because it was good!
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.