[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: Snapchat-2097436705734041318.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2097436705734041318.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
Hey /co/ these are the first comics I've ever bought, how am I doing so far ?
>>
That Venom comic is basically my favorite one ever so good job. Hope you enjoy it.
>>
>capeshit
>>
Not buying obscure indie shit? You fucked up, OP!
>>
Can't speak on the Venom stuff, but the Flash run is great and I think Court of Owls is a good start into modern Batman lore.

What made you wanna pick up some trades?
>>
Meh.
>>
>>81442043
I think those are all okay to good so you're doing alright I guess? By first comics I've ever bought, do you mean ever bought or ever read?
>>
>>81442089
Can you think of a better way to phrase this?

Like maybe
>>81442043
Cool, OP, I hope you enjoy those.

But if you're getting into "comics" as a medium, then you should probably try getting into more than only two publishers and more than only one genre.
>>
>>81442124
You come over as just as much of an asshole as >>81442089 fyi
>>
>>81442161
Why does this offend you?
>>
>>81442089
>>81442124
Mayne OP just likes superheroes. There's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>81442108
I like reading them like books and don't have a huge interest in collecting individual issues rare or otherwise

>>81442121
>>81442124
I've read and own some walking dead/star wars/spawn comics but I never liked any of them near as much as I have these so far
>>
>>81442180
Quit sperging out because a beginner didn't buy your indie shit nobody's ever heard of.
>>
>>81442203
>Star Wars
>indie
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>implying
>>
>>81442219
Anon, I'm trying to be positive and tell the OP that I hope they enjoy Flash, Batman and Venom.

Why are you so insistent on being negative?
>>
>>81442219
>>81442199
>>81442118
>>81442099
>>81442089
You know if you guys have any good recs for good indies I should check out I am all ears
>>
>>81442268
It's hard to recommend comics when we don't know anything about you.

When it comes to other mediums (like books, movies, tv shows, vidya), what sorts of genres and settings and types of stories do you enjoy?
>>
>>81442252
To be fair the posts he replied to didn't mention anything about indies. Just capes vs noncapes.
>>
>>81442268
Les Nombrils
>>
>>81442303
But there are capes in Star Wars.
>>
>>81442043
>Agent Venom

I know Marvel is baiting you with the good Venom on the cover, but you fell for it.
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
OP Read the current Martian Manhunter book.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-martian-manhunter-dc-comics-2015
http://viewcomic.com/?s=martian+manhunter
>>
>>81442371
Nice b8 faggot.
>>
>>81442290
Last thing I read was the game of thrones series and loved that. GotG has been my favourite hero movie so far. As for genres I like mystery/suspense/crime/crimesolving anything involving war and sci fi as long as it's interesting.

I also am really interested in symbiotes hence the venom comics and I plan to finish that series and go on to reading some carnage and toxin
>>
>>81442404
Was looking at that when I was buying these. I'll check it out thanks anon
>>
>>81442268
http://viewcomic.com/wake-01-10-2013/
>>
>>81442043
>Rick Remender's Venom

You're doing great.

Check out American Vampire by Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque, Hellboy, and Chew.
>>
>>81442404
>that Pearl/Arthur moment
I didn't expect that at all.
>>
Also what is your guys take on the new 52? Part of the reason I bought it is because I like to read things that are part of an interconnecting universe.

I've heard mixed things about it though, would it be worth reading more into or did DC fuck it up like marvel with their all new all different comics (which I've read some of the first editions and hated)
>>
>>81442494
If you're new reader, you'll love it. If you read DC for years before New 52, it'll be shit to you because not muh.
>>
File: Prophet.jpg (4 MB, 1200x7700) Image search: [Google]
Prophet.jpg
4 MB, 1200x7700
>>81442407
I'm going to recommend the 2012 revamp of Prophet.

It's a jam comic about an interstellar war 10,000 years in the future, told from multiple points of view, and it has a very "bio-punk" feel, lots of symbiotic and parasitic life-forms for you to enjoy.

It starts from issue #21 (for complicated reasons), or if you buy the collected edition then the story so far is available in four volumes: #1 Remission, #2 Brothers, #3 Empire and #4 Joining.
>>
>>81442494
Its not a millionth the fuck up ANAD was.
Read Aquaman for sure. Thru to Throne of Atlantis at least.
>>
>>81442494
If you want to try the previous interconnected DCU, read a miniseries from 1986 called "Legends", and then simultaneously start two series from 1987 called "Justice League" and "Suicide Squad". Those two series were the backbone of the DC Universe for several years, and they'll introduce you to all sorts of characters and concepts from that universe.
>>
>>81442180
Because it's like 'oh I hope you enjoy this but actually you should be reading this' in the exact same way as
>capeshit
is a 'read something else'.

The way to roll is to find out what the person likes and recommend them stuff in that direction. And to allow them direction in choosing what they want.
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 295x171
>>81442043
You can enjoy comics from different publishers OP

But first you have to pick a side
>>
File: 1445390006380.jpg (166 KB, 1345x864) Image search: [Google]
1445390006380.jpg
166 KB, 1345x864
>>81442407
>GoT
Okay then. My favorite fantasy series of all time is called Cerebus the Aardvark. It starts off at first as mediocre parody of Conan the Barbarian, but after a couple years (and the author overdosing on LSD) it becomes this intricate tale of warring kingdoms, intrigue, politics, religion and social commentary. I highly recommend most (but not all) of it.
>>
>>81442713
>~280-290

every time
>>
>>81442667
Wow, Anon, that is some major projection.

>read something else
I'm saying "Read this AND that", not "Read this INSTEAD OF that".

Calm down and stop throwing a fit over everything, please.
>>
>>81442771
Ugh.
>>
>>81442043
>Hey /co/ these are the first comics I've ever bought
>bought

This is where you fucked up. The vast majority of people here don't buy what they read so they can't put a monetary value on it from an entertainment perspective. They know whether they like it or not, but there is more to it than that. A grade A steak you got for free will always be good, but you wont understand the pure taste and pleasure of it like you would if you had payed for it.

TL;DR don't ever take the word of someone from /co/ because most of the time they don't have an investment in what they are reading
>>
>>81442407
Ed Brubaker is a name you should look up. Some of his stories are down-to-earth, some of his stories are fantastical, but a lot of them involve low down and dirty crime. Gotham Central was pretty popular on /co/, and I'm also going to throw in Criminal, Incognito and Fatale as well.

Scalped is good crime, but I don't know how the /co/ hivemind feels about the author today. We're a fickle bunch who can turn on someone in an instant.

For a crime comic that's really strange, really out there and fully takes advantage of the comics medium like few other comics, try City of Glass, by Paul Auster and David Mazzucchelli.
>>
>>81442878
Most people who pirate do buy trades.
You can check the shelf threads for that.
>>
>>81442840
Quit being a baby and start recommending comics already.

>>81442407
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. It's like Game of Thrones meets Sailor Moon.
>>
>>81442979
Shelf threads are literally only a dozen or so people posting the same shelves for years.

People who have a collection of comics make up a very small number of the people on /co/
>>
>>81442544
Thanks anon, just checked this out online and it looked pretty cool so I'll definitely look more into it. I assume whatever series came before the 2012 one covers issues 1-21? Any of those worth the read or am I wrong

>>81442628
Sounds great I'll look into these too

>>81442713
Interesting but I'll check it out since these are all the things I've come to love in fantasy stories (including the lsd)

>>81442954
Thanks anon all sounds good I'll make sure to check them all out

>>81442981
>GoT meets sailor moon
Not sure how I feel about that

>>81442688
Marvel or DC ?
Marvel but mostly for the villains (thanos, doom, galatus, symbiotes, ultron, loki, etc )
>>
>>81443160
Prophet #1-20 don't exist. The number 21 is created by combining three different Prophets. And this new Prophet is separated from those Prophets by ten thousand years. Don't read them expecting any connection.

It's part of a shared universe though, so if you want more background on the lore of Prophet, read Supreme by Alan Moore, Supreme: Blue Rose by Warren Ellis, and Glory by Joe Keatinge.
>>
>>81442878
>you wont understand the pure taste and pleasure of it like you would if you had payed for it.

Wew, that's a hell of a brainwashed consumer thing you've got going on there bud.
>>
>>81442878
Thanks for the tip anon. Personally if I do end up buying one I don't like I will probably just put it up for resale. I keep all of my stuff in good condition and like to have a collection of only the best and my favourites so I always look into everything before I buy but every once in a while some shit spills through
>>
>>81443236
That sounds cool. I love stories with great lore and background. You might have just convinced me to get it
>>
>>81443123
Or people who don't have decent cameras and aren't willing put out the money for one. Why go buy a camera to show off on when you can use that money to buy more of it.
>>
>>81442043
You could definitely do worse for yourself OP. I wasn't a huge fan of Nu52 Flash, but what I read always had good action and was entertaining enough.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.