[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm new to comics and I want to know if this so called Doctor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
I'm new to comics and I want to know if this so called Doctor Strange is a fun and exciting character. I love B.C and I'm thrilled that he'll appear in the Marvel Universe. Because of this I want you guys to rec me the best Strange arcs.
>>
>>81408858
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/407nge5z1zrhr/Doctor_Strange
There's already a thread up for this exact purpose you brain dead fuck
>>
File: Magic is Complicated.png (682 KB, 405x815) Image search: [Google]
Magic is Complicated.png
682 KB, 405x815
>>81408858

He's got his moments.
>>
George RR Martin once had a pretty good summary of Strange's shtick, back when he pitched a potential run to Marvel:

>He’s a guy who hardly even should be known to the other heroes, living on the edge of the Marvel Universe, protecting the world and our dimension and plane from dangers and forces out there that the other characters, like Spider-Man and the Avengers, don’t even dream exists, y’know. He’s our wall against Cthulhu, the Great Old Ones and, y’know, the Dread Dormammu and stuff like that.
>>
>>81408904
link?
>>
>>
>>81408989

Ignore him, he's an asshole bitching up the other thread which is more about the movie anyway.

If you just want a basic intro to the Dr. Strange comics, read this stuff:

>http://www.mediafire.com/download/araspaddej639ae/Doctor+Strange+Introductory+Package.zip
>>
>>81408858
>B.C
The fuck is BC?
>>
>>81409044
Bandicoot Cabbagepatch
>>
>>81409044
Bendydick Cuminsnatch
>>
>>81409044
Bendick Cuminmysnatch
>>
>>81409081
Blackburn Cummings
>>
>>81409044
Brandywine Cucumberbath
>>
>>81408989
Are you trolling me
I feel trolled
It doesn't matter. The salient points are read anything with the names Ditko or Engleheart or Stern. Please notice Ditko did a bunch of Spider-Man with Dr. Strange, notable Amazing SM Annual #2, 1965. The graphic novels called Doctor Strange: The Oath and Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment are readable but don't quite capture the essence of the character
>>
>>81409009
It's weird seeing Lee credited for the Strange run. He certainly worked on it as an editor, but I thought the first story in Strange Tales said that this was something Ditko just did on his own and turned in when they needed a story.

Not that Ditko would ever claim ownership of him now. Despite the fact that some of the best stuff he did was focused around magic, Ditko has apparently denounced stories about sorcery because it's not real enough for his objectivist agenda.
>>
>>81409200
Aye, it's quite clear that Lee had almost nothing to do with that run

Why did Ditko go and become a nutter
>>
>>81409162

I'd argue Triumph and Torment captures the spirit, but it's more a Dr. Doom story than a Dr. Strange story, so Strange gets a bit overshadowed.
>>
>>81409200

I think Lee did some of the actual dialogue/narration, it's got his breathless, bombastic style. Ditko did more of the scripting, though, so Lee was writing within those parameters.
>>
>>81409297
Who knows, I'm wondering why no one ever got him help. It's fine to do these things if you're still functional, but these beliefs lead to him half assing all his corporate work in the mid to late seventies which got him blacklisted from the industry. Why didn't anyone take him out for a drink and shoot the shit with him?
>>
>>81409435

By all accounts Ditko was not a "shoot the shit" type. He was always super serious, going around in a business suit and crewcut. Apparently hippies in the 60s would come to visit Marvel HQ, convinced that the creator of Dr. Strange must be some far-out type into psychedelic drugs. Those that met Ditko were very confused.
>>
>>81409363
Well yes Lee re-did the dialogue and was writing, but I wouldn't call him a co-creator of Dr. Strange since the character seems to be all Ditko.
>>
>>81409537

Collaborator, then? I think it's still fair to call the initial run the Lee/Ditko run. Lee did contribute stuff, after all.
>>
So, the usual runs people mention are Ditko, Englehart, Stern, and sometimes Gillis. How do you guys think those runs compare to each other?

And what about the other runs, like the two by Roy Thomas, or the Quinn run and... whatever you want to call the run Warren Ellis started and then immediately quit.
>>
File: 1431183465471.gif (2 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
1431183465471.gif
2 MB, 371x209
>>81409061
Best one I've seen in a while.
>>
>>81410041
Honestly I just binged everything and had a grand old time. Couldn't tell you who was who, at least not until the 90s hit and every new writer was like a total reboot.
>>
Not a run, but if you really enjoy Strange try checking out MGK's "I should write Dr. Strange." Lots of interesting discussion about the character and potential story pitches.
>>
>>81409044
Black cock.
>>
>>81414847

That series is great. It's actually what finally got me into Dr. Strange comics, after years of keeping my distance.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.