[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/ what is your opinion on this character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 21
File: Goddess_Phoenix_I.jpg (95 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
Goddess_Phoenix_I.jpg
95 KB, 659x1000
/co/ what is your opinion on this character
>>
Should've stayed dead, but at least X-Factor ended up becoming good with Louise Simonson
>>
>>81396865
pretty much this>>81396950
>>
>>81396865
boring and best when dead. I hope they kill young Jean soon
>>
>>81396865

I hope she ends up with Wolverine and they have a miserable life together.
>>
>>81396865
I guess I'm the only person on /co/ that likes her and prefers her to not be dead.
>>
I never got the appeal of Jean. Honestly one minute mutants next some weird alien force of nature shit that leaves Scott crying like a bitch.
>>
>>81396865
Should have let her leave Earth and have cosmic adventures, rather than keep her with the X-Men.
>>
I CAN'T CONTROL IT DARK PHOENIX RISES BURN IN THE FLAMES DODGE THIS TOO HOT FOR YOU I'LL TAKE YOUR POWER HAHAHA WRITHE FOOL YOU MAY DIE
>>
>>81397794
I think the reason people want her dead is because they like her, y'know. Character legacy and stuff.
>>
>>81398433
in my experience, most people that want Jean dead want it because they find her boring when alive.
>>
JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
>>
THIS ONES FOR YOU MORPH!
>>
>>81396865
the phoenix is based and I enjoy all aspects of it including but not limited to JEAAAAAAAAAAAN
>>
>>81396865
Boring, better off dead, worst red head, too OP for most writers.

>>81398009
Everybody except scott, should leave the x-men. It should be a temporary thing with regularly changing cast.
>>
Should have stayed dead. Hasn't done anything interesting since. Anytime she's on the page now is an opportunity wasted.
>>
>>81396865
I don't think i ever liked the character in any of her iterations, not even in videogames.
>>
>>81398389
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbunuekV3lQ
>>
>>81396865
Really needs a writer and editor who don't give a shit about the Phoenix or her "legacy."
>>
>>81396865
What woman, sir? That there's a ho.
>>
>>81398714
That's what Rachel is for.
>>
>>81396865
She is a goddess.
Literally.
And that was a great way to write her out.
And she needed to be written out.
Think about it, she's far more influential in stories as a memory than she ever was as a living character.
And if se had died-died (again) the countdown clock to anouther meaningless resurrection would have left her as an eternal punchline.
So in short: I love her, and I'm glad she's gone.
>>
Liked her until they Brought her back, didn't mind xorn-Jean thought.

She just drags Scotts character back to "Muh Jean" whenever she's mentioned
>>
File: RachelSummers_1455422644166-3.jpg (139 KB, 474x736) Image search: [Google]
RachelSummers_1455422644166-3.jpg
139 KB, 474x736
>>81402369
I thought she only existed to remind X-fans of that one really good X-Men story with her every line of dialog.
>>
>>81402909
I was mostly just making a crack about everyone apparently forgetting she was Phoenix years longer than Jean ever was.
>>
File: queen-hearts.png (37 KB, 674x1037) Image search: [Google]
queen-hearts.png
37 KB, 674x1037
oh jean....

you won my heart so long ago
>>
File: TeenJean_Regrets_1459501521700.jpg (64 KB, 293x477) Image search: [Google]
TeenJean_Regrets_1459501521700.jpg
64 KB, 293x477
>>81402659
I love the second chance 5.
It's freakin' hilarious how much they emphasize just how horrible the original five's lives have been.
And the new version is playing out things way better than she originally did.
Instead of settling for lameclops right away she's playing the field like a champ.
Will it be TeenBeastiality? Settling for Summers? Or the newest option of jailbaiting OldManverine?
This is so much fun to read.
>>
File: 1458214935196.jpg (214 KB, 1137x451) Image search: [Google]
1458214935196.jpg
214 KB, 1137x451
>>81402939
I honestly don't know why writers never bring her into the Phoenix stories, but anything remotely Days-of' and she's the main character for that.
>>
I really don't mind her either way but I really get sick of all the deifying she gets.

Every puts her on this pedestal like she was the greatest shit ever but the only thing she really did was die.
>>
File: 501831e890a1e.jpg (157 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
501831e890a1e.jpg
157 KB, 1100x733
>>81396865
I think she's long overdue as a cosmic recluse, with her own solo book trying to figure out who she is and what that really means. She's a force of nature, but a human being at the same time. The phoenix isn't just destruction, it's the chaos of life. She is raw creation, the hand of God who remakes the world. A living genesis device.

But I don't trust Marvel to do it properly, much less not fuck it up by throwing Carol or the Guardians in for reasons.
>>
File: Scott Emma Kiss Cheat.png (649 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
Scott Emma Kiss Cheat.png
649 KB, 500x733
Lady got cucked by Emma Frost
And rightly so
>>
>>81403435

>Cyclops being unfaithful

Oh no, what a shocking development. Who could have foreseen this.
>>
File: 1455760997157edit.jpg (53 KB, 279x263) Image search: [Google]
1455760997157edit.jpg
53 KB, 279x263
>>81403365
I think it was more of an implied value in the stories rather than the readers making their own judgements as to her worth as a character.
After all, how many stories did they tell were some sleaze kidnapped her and turned her into the damsel in distress.
There's a reason we think all those white knights are getting a value gal when they invest all that dragon-slaying effort into getting that first date.
It's a fallacy of vested interest that she simply must be worth all the effort Wolverine put into stealing her away from Scott over all those years.
>>
>>81396865
She will use her power to turn you gay

Disintegrate that bitch
>>
>>81403435
>Matt Murdock and Felicia Hardy playing dress up
>>
>>81403580
Hey, now
>>
Psycloke is better than her even at loli mode
>>
File: 1457677304639.jpg (78 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
1457677304639.jpg
78 KB, 300x428
>>81403435
"Bitch, I know you didn't think his mind belongs to you."
>>
File: emma_jean139.jpg (79 KB, 700x166) Image search: [Google]
emma_jean139.jpg
79 KB, 700x166
>>81403652
They're fighting because they both want to literally mindfuck him
>>
>>81403476
Destiny, Blindfold, Madam Webb, Kang, Layla Miller...
>>
emma's a good sort too...
>>
File: TheMoment_1456275407946.jpg (212 KB, 937x492) Image search: [Google]
TheMoment_1456275407946.jpg
212 KB, 937x492
>>81403675
I would hope that worked out better for him than for Iceman.
>>
File: Boo Don't Be Afraid.jpg (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Boo Don't Be Afraid.jpg
17 KB, 200x200
>>81403821
Why what happened
What happened here
>>
>>81403845
Jean mind raped Iceman and made him gay.
>>
>>81403845
She invaded his privacy and confronts him about his sexuality
I don't like Jean, she is trash tier waifu
All hail queen Emma Frost
>>
>>81396865
>big green tits
>red hair
>skintight costume on a curvy, athletic body

She's an excellent character.
>>
>>81403849
Man, Kitty Pryde just has no luck does she
First Rogue steals her man in Ultimate, and now this crap
>>
>>81403845
>>81403821
I still refuse to believe they're the real X-Men. Alternate universe, sure, but not the original Five.
>>
File: SSC11088-Colossus-.jpg (43 KB, 332x557) Image search: [Google]
SSC11088-Colossus-.jpg
43 KB, 332x557
>>81403873
Don't forget her long and painfully rough ride with that giant hard-as-steel Colossus, Peter.
>>
File: youknowanoncomeon.jpg (44 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
youknowanoncomeon.jpg
44 KB, 246x200
>>
>>81396865
I liked it when the Phoenix wasn't a cosmic firebird. The 90s fucked up so many things about X-Men.
>>
File: AUG090530.jpg (30 KB, 390x600) Image search: [Google]
AUG090530.jpg
30 KB, 390x600
>>81403923
There's an issue in Uncanny X-men (3rd Vol.) when the X-teens join Adultclop's X-Men and right away a sentinel kills teenclops during a mission, Adultclops vanished on the spot.
It was some fortunate plot-armor that one of Cyke's new mutant recruits was a healer that can bring people back from the dead.
You can't get much more "they're the same person" than temporary causality-fail.
>>
>>81404172
Then how the fuck are Cable and Rachel still around? Christ the X-Men are worse than Doctor Who.
>>
>>81404192
Time-travel is fucked in Marvel.
It's not like DC where you can "change" time, because every time you do you effectively cut yourself off from your own causality stream and create a new branching universe.

In effect Cable and Rachel can never go to "their" version of their timelines because they both have altered them significantly enough (and in Rachel's case prevented it entirely) that they branched off into their own universes now, which leaves Rachel and Cable both stranded and "unstuck" in time, so they no longer adhere to logical causality because they kept changing shit too much.

Apparently guys like Kang the Conqueror have this problem to a MUCH worse degree, in that Kang literally does not ever belong in any timeline (and thus is one of the few people capable of genuinely changing history without creating branching realities) and it's difficult or impossible to find out where and when he "begins" and "ends" because even if you kill him he can retroactively unkill himself or give himself aid so he survives you killing him or half a hundred other crazy things.
The only reason Kang the Conqueror ever really "looses" is because he has a strong internal sense of fair play and only allows one of himself to ever involve themselves in his conquests at any given time.
>>
>>81396865
I don't really have one on her character per-say, I just want her away from Scott at all times. She is a complete bane on his character.
>>
>>81404270
Kang is nice like that
>>
>>81404270
Who's the other ones who can change history?
>>
>>81404338
Bishop?
>>
I think all the other red headed psychics are cuter
but she's like a tsundere but still a slut and not pure anough to waifu
what's with that girl with the scar face?
was she only a plot device to render XvsA non-canon?
>>
>>81404338
Doom, of course. Who else?
The time travel technology that Kang uses is actually Doom's time platform in the future so what Kang is actually doing is using Doom's own technology.
Doom is MUCH more responsible in his usage of time travel (at least that we know of, it's hard to tell with time travel) and tends to only make subtle changes or use it to discover historical information (he was apparently banging Morgan LE Fey for awhile to learn her magicial secrets) because he's smart enough to not fuck with time as badly as Kang has.
I believe the Time Platform tech itself actually is the reason they can alter time without creating new realities, rather then anything in particular about the people involved.
And since the other guy who can definitively change time is Immortus, who is yet another version of Kang, I think we can safely say that Doom is the only one that figured it out.
>>
>>81404338
like half the X-Men and the Fantastic Four sometime and anytime there's any shenanigans with any Kang incarnations
>>
>>81404324
Her character would have worked better without the invention of the Phoenix Force. Especially since it was created to give a reason to "forgive" Jean for stuff she did as Dark Phoenix, as we now live an an era where practically every character with a book has done something completely and utterly horrible which was then ignored or retconned.
>>81404362
No, Bishop is in the same boat as Cable and Rachel. Which is fitting since his storyline is identical to both of theirs and is a cheap way to cash-in on rehashing Days of Future Past yet again.
>>
>>81404444
Nope, not the X-Men.
Every time the X-Men go back in time and change history they just create an alternate reality, which is why in the Multiverse the Age of Apocalypse can still be found even though it was prevented.

So while the X-Men frequently have "prevented" futures from happening to 616, they never really got rid of the shitty universes created by said time changes; they just cut them free of the 616 timeline. Funny how that works.
>>
>>81404481
So what I'm hearing is that the people who can change time are Kang, Kang, Kang, and Doom?
>>
>>81404507
Yup.
Fun fact; Kang actually has semi-regular conversations with himselves from other time periods called "the Council of Kangs" where they discuss what each of themselves are doing in different timelines at different points.
I can't decide if that's brilliant, narssististic, or both.
>>
File: 1455439916704.jpg (89 KB, 439x598) Image search: [Google]
1455439916704.jpg
89 KB, 439x598
>>81404192
>>81404270
In general when someone timetravels they're not actually altering THEIR OWN history, what they're doing is creating a divergent timeline, or parallel universe/reality. In some stories the "DrDOOM time-platform", or Kang "timechair" is designed to create a field or bubble of time that prevents the tourist trips through time ever actually altering any history. Other times someone going to the past is just travelling to a completely seporate universe that just looks like their own history, Rachel Summers did just that, even after her actions altered the events of history it had no effect upon her past because her parallel universe reality history wasn't the history she was meddling around in.
Then there's Cable's thing, he's actually from universe 616, he's actually the son of Mad Lyn Prior and Marriedclops, he's actually from their personal (this) timeline. But then he got sick and Dadclops sent him into the future to be cured, that future is a "potential future", it MAY come to pass but will exist as a parallel reality if it doesn't come to pass. His timetravel gear and future tech is all basically parallel future reality matter from a future that is still linked to this present as it's history, that's how he can travel to and from the fture and not lose his history. etc. etc.
That last bit about Cable is actually an important concept in this X-teens thing.
>>
>>81404537
Compare and contrast to DC, where you have overworked bastard's like Rip Hunter, Booster, and sometimes the Linear Men going around behind the scenes ensuring people don't fuck up time.
>>
File: 2008_06-mv073.jpg (14 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
2008_06-mv073.jpg
14 KB, 400x600
>>81404537
The reason it's important is because the same thing has happened to the X-teens as happened to BabyCable: a timetraveller from a POTENTIAL future came to the past and transported them into this POTENTIAL future.
When BabyCable grew up in the future, that was the future that was going to exist, but then Cable grew up and decided to go home to his original time and change a bunch of stuff. So now does that future he grew up in exist now only as a parallel reality or will it be what the world looks like when the clocks tick down to that future date? Did he alter history or act out his fate?
TeenJean and the rest are now in the same position: if they eventually return to the past and get their memories wiped (in time) they live out the fates of history's X-Men, BUT if they stay in the future long enough that history gets changed, say by dying in this future, then this timeline gets separated from the past history's universe/reality they've come from and goes the way of all potential futures that never come to pass: it becomes a parallel reality potential future that a timetraveller once came from in that one adventure that one time. How many of those have we read about before? How many of those have we seen play out since?
>>
Fuck my brain is melting can you put it in simpler terms
>>
>>81404526
PROTIP: it's actually suicidal because he once murdered all those guys when he got sick of their constant nagging.
>>
File: First-issue-X-Men.jpg (69 KB, 600x896) Image search: [Google]
First-issue-X-Men.jpg
69 KB, 600x896
>>81404790
The timetraveller that's from the farthest back in history decides what becomes a meaningless timetravel adventure in a future reality that will not exist and what becomes the history of the world.
Right now teenaged Jean Grey gets to decide if all of the X-Men history ever happens.
>>
Jean Grey is the definition of the phrase "But what about me?"

There is no story that she's involved in that doesn't suddenly become about her.
>>
>>81404335
True.
>>
>>81403055
I agree in concept that they're great.. until you actually read the comics and get Bendis writing and dialogue. Though I guess he's off the book now. Still I don't really understand why they're still in the future. I don't mean that there's no more stories for them to tell, I mean I literally don't understand their motivation or everybody else's motivation in letting them stick around.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.