[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Wally West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 16
File: 1459550366957.png (410 KB, 595x767) Image search: [Google]
1459550366957.png
410 KB, 595x767
Why must DC insist on trying to make this character a thing? Who even likes this character?

He was ass when he first introduced.
>No care was taken to make him distinct, likeable, or even interesting. He even looked generic. With his Rebirth "redesign" if he didn't have that "lighting" part in his haircut he'd look just like Miles Morales.
>Racist origin story: stereotypical "troubled black youth" that needs a white savior (Barry) to guide him from his savage & destructive ways.
>>
I'm black. He's a good character.

Stay mad.
>>
He's biracial
>>
>>81376538
He's not a good character just because your skin color is mildly similar.

He's actually very expressly one of the worst written characters in the New 52 regardless of his name or race.
>>
>>81376705
>DC and tumblrites

and /pol/
>>
>>81376409
>Racist origin story

Most black/bi-racial characters have this backstory for some reason. What minority is honestly appealed to these type of origins, especially in 2016? It's a comic book, not some novel for pre-teens.

Fuck, the ideal for the new Cyborg comic book sounded amazing until the author ended it with he has to "deal with the mean streets of Detroit also".
>>
>>81376409
He could still be a good character. Probably a better idea to try and salvage him than to scrap him entirely.
>>
His introduction into the nu52 was awful but I have no idea how he is now since I dropped the book. Also side note design wise, new Wally shouldn't wear yellow. Never thought I'd miss the silver look
>>
File: Recycle picture.jpg (161 KB, 665x595) Image search: [Google]
Recycle picture.jpg
161 KB, 665x595
>>81376409
Read the comic before judging him.

Don't treat him like miles morale dude.
>>
>>81377415

Or the new robin
Or the red dinosaur girl
Or captain falcon
>>
>>81377086
Just because it's stereotypical doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. Did you know Wally WAS a troubled youth in Born to Run, before Barry basically saved him?

And a real problem that continues to plague American black people is their kids grow up in shit areas with shit parents and shit teachers and the only black people they can look up to are local drug dealers and retarded rappers. True, they should be able to look up to white people too, but when all you see all the time are shitty retard black people and all the smart, succesful people are white, it makes you think maybe you're inherently shit because of your race, or they get bitter and blame white people for everything. So like McDuffie knew you have to have characters who are in shit situations like them but still end up being good people.

Also it's not the character's fault that the writers were fucking trash and wrote him shitty.

IMO, at this point I'd rather they bring back old Wally as his own character from the old universe, retaining some of his old characterization and progress, because resetting him to Kid Flash would be bullshit considering Dick got to keep most of his character progress. They SHOULD have not named the new guy Wally West, yeah, and they SHOULD have just kept old Wally in general, just made him younger with a new code name, but it's too late for that now so they've got to salvage what they have.
>>
>>81377415
We've read his comics. He's an awful, awful character. Irredeemable bad origin.
>>
>>81377486
>New Robin
Because we really needed ANOTHER addition to the batfamily, especially a Robin. Hell they didn't do anything with Harper
>>
>>81376409
>racist black character who's power is to run fast
what a bunch of biggots working at DC
>>
>>81377527
First, Iris saved him in Born to Run. The entire point of that story was how much he missed Iris and how much he owed her.

Second, there's a difference between "Has problems at home because of shitty parents" and "Parents died and abandoned him so he joined a gang to rob people"

Wally was never a criminal in need of a ~male role model~ to turn his life around. Wally didn't grow up in a "shit area" -- or atleast that's never said. He turned to his shitty life despite living with his presumably well off Aunt, considering she's a top reporter in the city. Iris never complains about how bad off they are or poverty stricken or whatever. Wally goes to a nice school.

It actually is the character's fault. None of this shit would've been possible if we were given OG Wally instead of forcing this stupid black character on writers who don't even know who Wally West is. This was an editorial fuck up and it will continue to be an editorial fuckup forever because they can't undo it for fear of being called racists and nothing is ever fixing this character concept.

He's always going to be "Black Wally" instead of just Wally. He can't escape that difference. It forces him to be separate and simultaneously have to live up to OG Wally who's basically the highest standard there is for cape characters.

Even if he wasn't named Wally he'd still be a shit character. The best salvaging option would be cutting your losses.
>>
White adult Wally will be back, there's a huge spoiler for Flash and Titans. It's a given. They had to reveal black teen Wally first so that SJWs wouldn't freak out, but we know the old Wally is coming back too.
>>
>>81377552
Now, we don't actually know if Duke is going to suit up. King and Snyder have both said they're hesitant to just give him the mantle, so maybe he'll have more of a "backup Alfred" role.
>>
>>81376409
because lightning
all lightning based heroes must be black
so decrees thor
>>
>>81377527
Surely those inner city people look around at the rest of the inner city, see how the white people in it are niggers too, and so are the hispanics and everyone else who lives in the shitty-ass inner city, and realize it's the environment, not the race.
>>
>>81376409
>Why must DC insist on trying to make this character a thing?
But they don't, they made the character and then continued using him. It isn't like they scraped everything 5x over and made sure to include him each and everytime. To them he is just another character.
>>
>>81376660
So he's as black as Obama then.
>>
>>81378717
I'm sure some do. It's harder to step back and look at your circumstances objectively when you're focused on living through them. That said, the world would be a much better place if people were able to do so.
>>
>>81376538
Odd. I'm black and I think it's an odd and unnecessary change.
>>
>>81379913
You should self-insert more than
>>
>>81377543
>Irredeemable bad origin.

Haven't read it.

How bad?
>>
>>81376409

it makes no sense that hes black at all

time was not set that far back with new 52

going back in time does not make someone suddenly black.

its the same complete bullshit as young iceman from the past being gay while future iceman is not gay and has never been gay
>>
>>81380256
That bad
>>
Real answer: they want to be consistent with the CW show, which is very popular with normies. A white wally would be weird for their tumblr audience who was introduced to black wally first.
>>
>>81377415
stop giving characters free passes because they're black
>>
>>81380661
That is not the case, they were done independently of each other
The West's are black in CW because of Joe's actor getting the part
>>
Actually it is the case - do the research, I don't have time to educate you. It's why they did it originally, and it's why he hasn't reverted back for the "rebirth". Instead of "Kid-Flash" we will all now from this point call him "Token-Flash" -- all say "I".
>>
White Wally was an ass before he was given the Flash identity, though.
>>
>>81380661
The show did literally nothing for the Flash comics sales. It's actually hovering around all time lows consistently.

Iris is still white in the comics, too. They had to do a workaround explaining it.
>>
>a black guu whose power is running fast
Great. Is his weakness swimming? Does he get powered up by collared greens?
>>
I'm Jewish (so practically black) and I think we should have more black and Jewish characters.

You don't have to change a pre existing character, we need new ones
>>
>>81380256
So you know how Wally's whole schtick was being a Flash fan whose dream came true?

New 52 Wally's origin is that his dad abandoned him as a child, his mom died, and he hates and blames The Flash for his mom's death. Instead of wanting to be a superhero he spray paints anti-flash graffiti on buildings in a city that just got razed and mouths off to police officers when he gets caught. His idol in life is his uncle, who is a serial killer in jail. But he likes him even more because The Flash put him away and his uncle was nice to him? We think? We never saw any scene of Wally's past interactions with his family. We're just told that he idolizes a guy who everyone knows is a serial killer, even his aunt Iris who has taken him in due to his orphaning.

Iris then shows up at Juvenile Hall to pick him up and then begs Barry, who she's not even friends with, to raise her nephew because he needs a good male role model and she's just not capable of making Wally not shit. You know, because she's a woman and can't relate to him despite also being orphaned. Barry tries with the power of baseball but it doesn't stick. Also at some point Iris goes "I don't think he's a good kid but I would really like it if you worked hard to make him one, Barry. Because I totally can't." Not verbatim but it was a running theme that Iris shirked all responsibility onto Barry.

Fast forward sometime later and he joins a gang to rob a store and gets caught by police. Barry blames himself because he thinks he should've used his super speed powers to stop Wally before the cop arrived. Yes, it was as stupid as it sounds.

Barry then decides to bribe Wally's uncle, aforementioned serial killer Daniel West, to lie to Wally to tell him what Barry wants him to hear. This sets Wally's life on the straight and narrow.

It's bad. It's not just bad but it's painfully, obviously racist and it was from the very beginning when they had a black kid in a hoodie spray painting buildings.
>>
>>81376409
>>Racist origin story: stereotypical "troubled black youth" that needs a white savior (Barry) to guide him from his savage & destructive ways.

Yeah like when that happened to Robin right
>>
>>81386805
Sigh... remember when DC was the upbeat one instead of marvel...
>>
>>81387092
and everyone hated Jason for that
>>
>>81376538
You're not, he isn't and I'm not.
Not OP BTW.
>>
>>81379913
That poster isn't actually black. He's a troll.
There's a high likelihood that he doesn't even actually read comics in fact.
>>
>>81376538
>And my explanation is...
>>
He's even worse in the show and helped cement Season 2 as inferior to Season 1
>>
>>81376409
>Why must DC insist on trying to make this character a thing? Who even likes this character?
Geoff Johns makes all the decisions. He likes the character, that's all that matters.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 461x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 461x462
>>81377908
I want to believe, I really do
>>
>>81387092
Everyone hated Jason.
>>
>>81388128
Geoff Johns has never said a single thing about New 52 Wally.
>>
Him being black has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good character. I suggest you stop pretending it has any effect.

If cyborg suddenly became white, he'd still be fucking cyborg
>>
>>81389191
>Him being black has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good character
>I suggest you stop pretending it has any effect
>If cyborg suddenly became white, he'd still be fucking cyborg

Yeah, but if Cyborg's character and history were drastically changed to reflect a supposedly superficial change in skin-tone, then he ain't fucking Cyborg anymore, now is he?
>>
>>81389191
Yes it does. You can't pretend being a different race doesn't affect a character. That character is forever slotted as a minority fill in (which will affect the character) and now has to be written in a racially conscious way that wasn't present before.

Also, Wally's a fucking ginger. That's core to his character. How someone has looked for 60 years actually matters. If Superman suddenly became a blonde indian people wouldn't recognize him.
>>
>>81389319
>>81389366
>The race does matter!
>See, let me list the writers being bad writers as proof!
Also, you just said that wally west is red hair first, superhero second. pretty fucking shitty character if hi most defining trait is superficial
>>
>>81389191
>If cyborg suddenly became white, he'd still be fucking cyborg
White people can't BOOYAH. Thus, he wouldn't still be fucking Cyborg
>>
>>81389437
and guess what? people cant fucking time travel, yet we have booster gold.
>>
>>81386805
This post made me miss Static Shock.
>>
>>81376409
I am unbelievably annoyed everytime I think about it.
They're blacking up all the gingers. Fucking hypocritical faggot progressivsts.
>>
>>81389465
He didn't mean that while people are literally incapable of saying booyah, silly autist.
>>
>>81389436
A good writer still has to be conscious of the character's new race which changes how the character was written.

To be honest, the de-aging ruined the character more than the race change but race does affect characters. Fuck it even affects who gets to write them. Wally, at some point in the future, is going to be written as a black character by black writers because he's black. Just like women writers more often get slotted onto books with main women characters. He's now a black character which is not something he ever was or ever represented before.

Representation comes with change.

He's not "red hair first" but there can be more than one thing important about a character you dipshit. Yeah, New 52 Wally IS shitty because his most important, defining character trait is that he's black. That's the only thing anyone talks about. It's the only thing that matters for the character anymore.

And, unless DC is gullible beyond belief, they knew it would happen. You can't pull massive changes like this on popular characters with derision. He literally can't be Wally West. He's just "Black Wally West." That's his title now -- he's already a different character, the only issue is that he's now eating up a good character's screen time.
>>
>>81386805
>Wally is a cliche street-rat criminal nig
>on CW he's a selfish street racing faggot
I'm glad comics are dying.
>>
>>81389436
>you just
Two different anons, mate.
>>
>>81389831
Thanks, Batman
>>
>>81386805
The best part I left out about his origin.

At the midway point of this arc his future self in a knockoff Flash costume comes back, dies to save Barry Allen, and while he's dying he tells Barry that Barry is the greatest ever. He existed for a total of 5 pages only to say that Barry was the best before dying.
>>
>>81389191
>whole race based origin for both new Wallys
>both CW and comics made Wally into a criminal
>race is cosmetic and doesn't change the character
It changes the demographic and very clearly how they are written. Maybe you should preach to the writers instead of us.
Finally is it doesn't matter then neither does 'muh representation'. If that concept is allowed then there clearly is a difference and your whole defence shits itself.
>>
>>81389905
So like I said then, race is not the issue. writing is
>>
>>81389930
If race wasn't an issue they wouldn't consciously change his race you dipshit.

Race changes how characters are treated, even by good writers. Stop repeating yourself.
>>
>>81390026
you literally keep confirming what I said
>>
>>81389930
Except clearly the race informs the writing. You can make it circular if you want but there is a clear causation that is undeniable.
Race change->writing change->demographic change

It's not like the writing for Wally changed and then they decided to chuck him in a raceswap machine.
Racial connotation, context and demographic changes a character and what audiences want out of that character.
This is a corp. They are writing for cash. If you don't like the reasoning behind it that's fine but that's reality f//am
>>
>>81390059
You're either impossibly dense or a troll. I've pointed out several things that are not based on how good or bad the writer is that is changed about the character.

I mean fuck he's already literally a black replacement character in a team book that lost their previous black guy.
>>
I quit buying DC over black Wally and I'll keep at it til he's gone.

It's called make a new character, don't destroy old ones.
>>
>>81390428
I hope you complained with such fervor over DCEU Alfred, CW Iris, Renee becoming The Question and MCU Heimdall
>>
>>81390428
This. Irks the shit out of me when they keep black-washing characters. Make some original blacks, and stop with the bullshit.
>>
>>81390886
But they aren't Wally, so what does it matter.
>if you're not angry every time you can't complain about shit you like being ruined by the same bullshit
You smell of tumblr keyboard warrior.
>>
>>81391072
>But they aren't Wally, so what does it matter.
Because people who go "NOT MUH ESTABLISHED CHARACTER DESIGN" tend to be very selective about what they criticize.
>Hermione shouldn't be played by a black woman, that's not in the books
>Snape (ugly in the books) is played by the handsome Alan Rickman? No worries there!
Not even saying I disagree with you, but it is funny to observe

>You smell of tumblr keyboard warrior.
Ha ha, whatever you say you hardcore meme master :^)
>>
>>81390886
Those are different universe versions. Especially with live action acting where it's way more important to get a suitable actor than to worry about race or hair color.

They don't really have anything to live up to because it's a separate universe. This Wally was and is an attempt to reproduce that Wally fanbase but failed because it's not Wally.

Like I don't think anyone cares that Wally of The West from Justice Riders used guns to shoot people, despite being something regular Wally would never do.
>>
>>81391342
people complain about stuff they specifically care about and not stuff they don't care about

how enlightening
>>
>>81376409
My problem isn't that Wally is black, my problem is that he's a horribly written character. He's the embodiment of a shitty racial stereotype and had zero depth.
>>
>>81377954
He's not going to be robin but he's going to have the role of Robin. King has already stated that.
>>
>>81391342
>hardcore meme master :^)
I dunno mate, I'll take the compliment but I'm not the bloke who you were talking to. I was just saying. The reason can be a simple as a change to something you like as opposed to opposition to the way something was changed.

Also few things are ugly in films. Even the uggers are cleaned up or just good looking people uggered up. Completely different issue than race swapping existing characters.
In fact the way you conflate the two with ease adds to what I was saying about keyboard warriors. You simplify the issues involved to make them more dismissable. Not a good look friend. Either you're intentionally obscuring things or you're a bit to simple to be discussing it.
>>
>>81391477
Order of importance in ruining him:

1: Removing all legacy and legacy connections
2: De-aging him
3: Changing his race
4: Bad writing

The thing about bad writing is every character gets badly written. I can be undone easily and retconned. Wally's good origin itself, Born to Run, was a retcon of his Rockwellian 60s origin.
>>
>>81377486
>Duke
>Make Robin black 4 diversity
>completely ignore the fact that Damian is an Arab
DC are so fucking shallow when it comes to race representation
>>
>>81391590
The problem with diversity is it doesn't matter unless you put really obvious, often racist racial features to exemplify how diverse the character is.

Talia and Ra's were always pretty white for arab folks and Damian's just another tiny Bruce beyond that. Him being half arabic just doesn't count unless he's got brown skin and spouting off Muslim nonsense.
>>
>>81388128
More like Geoff Johns want to bury Wally for the crime of taking the Flash mantle for more than 20 years and he knows nerds are racists as fuck being a nerd himself. For Geoff Johns, there's only one Flash and his name is Barry Allen
>>
>>81392747
Devious cunt
>>
>>81389141

I highly doubt Geoff has been very happy with a lot of things since New 52 started. His runs were characterized by being continuity wankery where he made it his job to smooth out the creases of decades of fucked up continuity. And then his work was all thrown away.
>>
I still wonder how Wally got picked to be black-painted.

>We need a black hero that sells well!
>Alright, we will make up an entirely new hero! New original name and background and everything! People get to follow him becoming a big hero
>No, thats too much work and takes too long! Just turn one of the old ones black. They are already selling, so people will keep buying it even if they change color!
>Sir, that hasn't worked in the past!
>Make one of the Flashes black! And give him attitude problems! God I love running this company! *wanks off in rare first edition comics*
>>
>>81393323
He's ginger. The new rule of black capes is lightning and previously ginger. Just you watch.
>>
>>81393443
When will it be Guy Gardner's turn?
>>
>>81393490
He may be saved. There is plenty of 'diversity' in lanterns. Especially given Baz was still fairly recently introduced. Probably the only good thing gun lantern has done.
>>
>>81380292
Frankly, Flashpoint had the same problem, and the answer was

>flash was a fucking tard at time travel and literally broke time while traveling back so random shit changed even further back than he went
Like Superboy Prime punching reality.
>>
>>81393323
The thing is, Wally wasn't selling anything. And there's clearly never been any plans to make Wally a starring character. He isn't even Barry's sidekick yet despite us just now passing the two year mark for his existence.

It's not "make one of the Flashes black!" because he's not one of The Flashes. He's a bit character in a medium selling book.

I legitimately think a lot of it was trying to distance Wally from his pre-52 self but also trying to draw in Wally fans to a faltering book. They figured the pro-diversity crowd would jump at the change and ALL they got was disdain. Makes sense considering about 6 issues in the character just disappeared from the book for over half a year.
>>
>>81380292
NuEarth isn't the same as Pre-Flashpoint Earth.
>>
>>81380292
Lots of not time related shit changed. It just turns out Barry fucked the time stream up enough that Wally's dad fucked a black woman and yet still had enough influence to name him Wally again. Even though he abandoned him when he was born.
>>
>>81376409

My problem is that they are just re-skinning old superheros instead of trying to make new ones.
>>
Really it depends on who writes him. If handled right, he could be fun character.
>>
>>81395330
If by "if handled right" you mean "completely disregard and retcon everything about the character that has been written so far" then yes, he could be good.

Even if he were good though he'd still be a different character. Same way Black Nick Fury is a good, but different character. But atleast Black Nick Fury doesn't stop Nick Fury from existing.
>>
>>81395468
>completely disregard and retcon everything about the character that has been written so far
Venditti and Jensen have already disregarded everything about the character and they were the ones who introduced him. nuWally's current character boils down to "wants to be a mechanic." It's still awful, but at least it means editorial has no problem with ignoring what we've see so far.
>>
File: got a new hat.png (507 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
got a new hat.png
507 KB, 600x450
>>81395248
But they got a new skin
>>
>>81395800
Notice how I said "and retcon." The character has a terrible history that no one likes and only earns him ire.

But yeah "wants to be A RACER" is the most generic uninteresting thing imaginable and it's pathetic that the only two version of Wally West that exist anymore both do that.
>>
>>81395468
>If by "if handled right" you mean "completely disregard and retcon everything about the character that has been written so far" then yes, he could be good.
That is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for.
>>
File: geoff-johns-rings.jpg (75 KB, 450x488) Image search: [Google]
geoff-johns-rings.jpg
75 KB, 450x488
>>81395887
>>81395468
Just as planned

My childhood >>>>>>>>>>>> Your childhood
In fact, your childhood doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>81392747
Geoff "Silver Age is how I make my wage" Johns

Fuck his boner to bring back Silver Age plots and characters. He did it with GL, Flash, Supes, god knows what he'll do it with next
>>
>>81396080
Johns' childhood was Wally. He's even said he only read Barry in back issues after he was already reading Wally.

Thought that was when he assured people that Wally wouldn't be going anywhere after Rebirth, which turned out to be a series of horrid lies, so who knows.
>>
File: Batman Ha Ha Ha.png (301 KB, 306x458) Image search: [Google]
Batman Ha Ha Ha.png
301 KB, 306x458
>>81376409
A black kid that runs fast and commit crime. How original!
>>
>>81377415
New52 Flash is cancer though. Why would you bother reading something that evolved from cancer to supercancer after the introduction of Black Wally?
>>
File: FutureShock.png (170 KB, 432x323) Image search: [Google]
FutureShock.png
170 KB, 432x323
I just don't get the point of blackwashing or whitewashing characters. Just create a new character, or use an already existing character of that ethnicity. Where the fuck is my Static Shock? Why does DC keep neglecting perfectly good preexisting ethnic characters in favour of racewashing?
>>
>>81380292
>its the same complete bullshit as young iceman from the past being gay while future iceman is not gay and has never been gay

They decided Iceman in the future is gay too, he's just been SUPER repressing it, despite years and years to say otherwise. Despite his relationships with females being ancillary to the majority of his character focus plotlines. He was just hiding his 'true' self all along. Fucking. Bendis.
>>
>>81396946
the hilarious thing is it's not like the Flash family lacked from interesting, non-white, young characters. Iris, Jai, and XS were all available.
>>
>>81386805

It's absolutely adorable how so many people in this thread are trying to rationalize the impossible notion of DC retconning "Diversity Wally" in favor of "Old Wally that only Level 2 Casuals Give a Fuck About," by trying to imply that Diversity Wally is a bad idea for the actual concept of diversity.

Give it up. The SJW morons are too loud to be ignored. Barry's here, so we've got the iconic Flash. If we ever see Old Wally again, it's going to be some side-story/Convergence bullshit that no one cares about.

Go read the back issues and quit crying.
>>
>>81389366

So, you're incapable of seeing past race, and completely unwilling to accept change? Even /b/ would find you tedious, anon.
>>
>>81396978
Bendis is about 30 years late on that idea anyway. It might have worked better when subtext was more of a thing.
>>
>>81376409

It's been what, 5 years? Does anyone besides self-inserting niggers give a shit about this character?

How long until they Miles Morales him and just give him all the characteristics and personality of the original?
>>
>>81396946
Static isn't owned by DC, he's owned by Milestone.

>>81397014
Iris and Jai are a quarter-Asian and XS has always been more tied to the Legion than the Flash family.
>>
I'd create a vilain that would target any unnecessary race changed characters or pc characters.
>>
>>81396616

Johns was also clearly setting up a longer Flash run for himself, and the original seven League members to return. Neither of which happened. Face it, he had plans that DC fucked over. He's been in the lurch as the rest of us have been.
>>
>>81397718
Besides, diversity mean black.
>>
I'm glad they're giving him the Kid Flash outfit and letting him have fun. If we're stuck with this new version at least they're working on improving him slowly.
>>
Alternative is get rid of this character for a white male and get shit thrown their way. They don't need bad press, specially not around the Rebirth launch. They're playing it too safe currently.
>>
>>81397912
Which he couldn't possibly pull off considering he had a main Flash title and a lot of GL shit and events to handle. Saying Johns "had plans" to do something is the most meaningless statement ever. He has "plans" for lots of shit and leaves hints of it in every run he does and never gets around to doing anything with said plans.
>>
>>81397718
Iris and Jai are Half Korean. Both of Linda's parents are Koreans. They're ever bit as diverse as current Wally. Not to mention they come from, gasp, a successful and positively portrayed interracial family.

Instead of, you know, new 52 Wally where his dad ran off when he was born.
>>
>>81377086
Honestly really liked the pitch for that comic, still not sure he can hold a biweekly book.
>>
>>81386555
I miss Milestone Comics.
>>
>>81398298
Milestone's supposed to be coming back. But we haven't heard anything since that announcement.
>>
>>81398160

Johns is a three to four book a month writer. GL, Flash, and JLA. That's clearly in his ability range.
>>
>>81386805

Jaysus.
>>
I'm a moustached man, and I really think moustached people should have more representation in DC comics. Theres a lot of bearded men, but I can't think of any superheroes with just a straight up moustache and no beard
>>
Assuming we are stuck with Nigger Kid Flash, the only way to salvage this farce is to erase Nigger Wally from existence via Rebirth and create a brand new Nigger Kid Flash who is a completely unique character with a brand new name,

Worse case scenario, they pull a "Nigger Wally was switched at birth and is not a West" shit and have Nigger Wally go by his new/real birth name.
>>
I dont know why hes in yellow, the bronze five o would spot him easy.
>>
>>81398540
He was heading multiple GL books and Blackest Night/Brightest Day during and after Rebirth. He had to make a choice and he choose GL. There wasn't any room for him to fight for his Flash "plans" and just got to stick to the one book.

Then DC called for the summary execution of The Flash family because the main book had to be about Barry and there was no room for them.
>>
>>81390886
People bitched about Renee as Question so hard, Rucka was banned from giving her her own book and had to make due with a shitty back-up no one read, a Final Crisis tie-in that didn't use her name, and a single mini- using the Question name that NO ONE bought.

Even internally, DC knew killing Vic was bullshit; hence why the artist on Final Crisis FLAT OUT REFUSED to draw Renee as Question unless absolutely required by the script (which was in one single scene).
>>
>>81390886
Alternate universe, original still exists.
Alternate universe, original still exists.
Legacy character, original did die but Renee was new.
Alternate universe, unimportant character at that.

With Wally it's the main universe version that no longer exists and got replaced by a shitty black version. If this were a spinoff else worlds Wally like, you know, the CW Flash version then people wouldn't care as much. It took folks like a week to stop pretending they even cared about the CW version being black
>>
>>81399447
The fact that Black Dad is by far one of the most liked characters around here on the CW Flash shows that if DC would just fucking bother to write good characters, they'd avoid a huge amount of this stupidity. Hell, remove the race bending and new Wally is still dumb because it's the classic "edgy teenage hero" bullshit that happens all the goddamn time. They pulled the exact same thing with the New 52 Blue Beetle. To be fair to them, good times teenagers don't seem to sell. Looks at the old Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, which consistently sold poorly and was kept around on the mercy of the higher ups. Look at Stephanie Brown Batgirl.

I don't think you can entirely disentangle the race change from the other stupid shit in this instance, for reasons like this >>81389612, but it's clear they don't have to be linked. And it's clear there's no real impetus behind these changes besides crass commercialism and thoughtless pandering, because nothing else about the character lines up with the arguments for changing a character's race.
>>
>>81386805
>can't relate to him despite also being orphaned.

Wait, there's no New 52 Ira West?
>>
>>81401865
Nope. Iris' dad was changed into an incredibly physically abusive alcoholic. I forget what happened to their mom but she never showed up in the flashbacks.
>>
If the Flash is a brand spanning multiple characters then why do you have to give a black Flash the name of a white Flash?
>>
>>81398191
>Instead of, you know, new 52 Wally where his dad ran off when he was born.

I bet the fucker didn't even leave because he was collaborating with Alien Robots.
>>
>>81401915
I miss when Wally "dysfunctional middle class suburban parents who eventually got divorced" was the worst of the Flash family drama.

Well, outside of future shenanigans like Iris the time baby and Bart the war orphan.
>>
>>81402123
Eh, I mean, even Wally had "Your unborn children are dead and your wife left you" for a good bit in the Johns run.

And there was the time he almost got cucked. Thank god Linda owns.
>>
>>81402258
I meant specifically background "character's parents" stuff.

Wally angsting about his family being targeted is kind of a different thing.
>>
File: NOPE.png (33 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.png
33 KB, 500x300
>>81377527
>Also it's not the character's fault that the writers were fucking trash and wrote him shitty.

No, of course we're not assigning blame on a fictional creation for a writer making them. We're saying the writer made a shit character, and by those merits the character is shit.
>>
File: itwas.jpg (214 KB, 1266x986) Image search: [Google]
itwas.jpg
214 KB, 1266x986
>>81391590
>>completely ignore the fact that Damian is an Arab
>DC are so fucking shallow when it comes to race representation

We don't even get any recognition for the Asian Retard member of the Batfam.

The only racial diversity that seems to matter is BLACK. Otherwise you're shit outta luck.
>>
>>81402983
>The only racial diversity that seems to matter is BLACK.

C'mon, anon, you knew this already.
>>
>>81386555
I'm Jewish too and it sucks Bendis as control over all the chosen comic book characters
it's fucking bs
>>
>>81403164

Doesn't mean I like it.
>>
How much better would it have been better if Barry stayed dead, Original Wally remained the Flash, and we got a brand new black kid for Kid Flash?
>>
>>81403679
Why? We already had Bart and Iris.
>>
File: stop hes already dead.jpg (81 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
stop hes already dead.jpg
81 KB, 456x386
>Barry sacrifices himself, Wally takes over.
>Is regarded as best Flash for TWENTY YEARS
>Geoff Fucking Johns takes over
>Barry dethrones Wally, is shilled to the point where Crime is said to be rampant and out of control since his death
>Barry is better despite Wally being canonically faster
>Flashpoint happens and he gets rebooted out of existence
>Nu52 happens
>Any flash is now a shell of their former self
>Barry is intact

Even in the animated adaption JL Doom, where it was supposed to be Wally, it was Barry.
>>
File: IMG-2319-6e759-771a9.jpg (395 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
IMG-2319-6e759-771a9.jpg
395 KB, 900x1384
>>81402983
>We don't even get any recognition for the Asian Retard member of the Batfam.
That's the way it is now. Any diverse characters made before New52 don't count anymore. I'm amazed we don't have a black Donna Troy
>>
Because if they change him back that would be racist.
>>
>>81404527
Wait, you're saying changing a character's race is racist?
>>
No, I'm saying changing a none white character's race is racist. Check you are privilege.
>>
>>81404550
>>81404539
>>
>>81404550
I checked it. I'm half pakistani. Do I get to point out how changing a character's race is racist now?
>>
>>81404844

No because you are a male
>>
>>81404844
No because Wally is black which trumps sand nigger.
>>
>>81404864
what if I grew up in the south where people were really mean to me?

>>81404859
ok but what if I really want to be a girl? I can change, pls, i just want an opinion
>>
>>81391590
Remeber Dick is also a gipsy
>>
>>81404890
>i just want an opinion

you can't have one because you are a cis male
>>
>>81376538
Try hard m8.
>>
>>81377527
I'm just wondering if you have read Born to Run?
>>
>>81377086
expect more black panther kind of stories because they wuz kangs and sheeit
>>
>>81376409
well think about it, if anyone is gonna have a super power based on running fast it's a black guy
>>
>>81405270
But then why is the fastest man alive white?
>>
>>81390428
Even if Black Wally was a new character that D.C. decided to push,/co/would still complain because their favorite character did not get a push.
>>
>>81390428
he is a new character. Your Wally still exists in the Pre-Flashpoint Earth that Pre-Flashpoint Superman came from, he has tons of stories now being published in that alternate earth you don't inhabit.
>>
>>81391693
.Damian is not white.
Him being half arabic jcount,,he's got brown skin
>>
File: tumblr_nye25tnvEq1rttb7qo1_500.jpg (145 KB, 500x465) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nye25tnvEq1rttb7qo1_500.jpg
145 KB, 500x465
>>81391693
Robin: Son of Batman #6
here's also something I noticed this issue that I want to touch on and that's Damian's ethnicity. If you want to be technical about it, Damian is of mixed heritage, with a good deal of the Al'Ghul side of his family being Arabic, and that's really clear this issue along with the series as a whole. The way John Kalisz colors Damian and Talia's skin makes it clear that they're actively trying to depict Damian as reflecting his heritage. So if that's something important to you, know that this book is probably the only book to have ever made it this clear. Thought that was pretty cool.
>>
File: 13.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
Damian is of mixed heritage.
>>
>>81389723
Not anymore. He's going to college and has specialized in engines. He's even kinda dating his professor.
>>
>>81394510
It's Earth-Prime now.
>>
>>81395468
Except they did change Nick in 616. The old white Nick you saw was nothing more than Life Model Decoys to keep the appearance of not aging. Real Nick Fury never stopped aging, and killed Utatu for one his eyes for some reason.

It started a whole chain of reactions. Thor no longer being Thor because he lost his worthiness, Dr. Strange losing his Sorcerer Supreme title, Steve Rodgers losing his Super Soldier serum. A sudden biracial Samuel Jackson lookalike who's name is Nick Fury (Jr.).
>>
>>81403960

Why were the Flashes so pared down for the new52? Batman kept all his Robins, all the Earth Green Lanterns stuck around and Superman kept his spin off characters too.
>>
>>81406711
He only started aging again after he gave his blood to Mockingbird cause she got shot. Or some stupid shit like that. And then somehow his age caught up with him.

Which doesn't make sense since taking something to halt your aging would just mean if you stop taking that, you'll just continue on aging from whenever you started taking it, not you'll suddenly age decades and decades because somehow your cells actually know what age you are.
>>
>>81376409
Why is Wally suddenly black? Why can't they just make a new character?

I hate modern comics
>>
What's the deal with making the "black teen who gets saved by the whites" character so much? It's not like the people who could relate to this character read comics.
>>
>>81382052
b-but it's the current year don't you know?
>>
File: 4241_4.jpg (208 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
4241_4.jpg
208 KB, 728x409
>>81377552
That feel when the Venture Bros hits way too close to the mark
>>
>>81380661
Black Wally predates the CW show, dumbass.
>>
>>81406789
Live action synergy.
>>
File: 1445294190299.jpg (114 KB, 667x764) Image search: [Google]
1445294190299.jpg
114 KB, 667x764
>>81406795
White guilt.

White man has to save the poor under-privileged black teens, because it's whitey's fault that they're all hood rats.
>>
>>81404499
>>81402983
She was a very interesting character. Despite being retarded, it's part her background. She's the poster child for child abuse.
>>
Why not just make Kal-Dur the main Aqualad?
>>
>>81407203
He was cool in YJ. They tried to introduce him into the comics, however they fucked up his character. Instead of short blond hair, and being raised Atlantean he has dreads and never knew he was Atlantean.
>>
>>81407384
Jesus christ.
Did his dad abandon him too? Are DC literally incapable of writing a black character who isn't a stereotype?
>>
>>81407409
Stereotypes are based on reality. If they wrote a black character void of all black "stereotypes", people would complain it was a color-swapped white guy.
>>
>>81407563
No one complained about Aqualad in YJ being a color-swapped white guy
At least not that I saw
>>
>>81407116
>>81404499
>>81402983
Who is this? I'm a sucker for abuse/healing stories.
>>
>>81407607
Aqualad in YJ is a different character from Garth who is the white Aqualad.
>>
>>81407899
And? What's that got to do with the conversation?
>>
>>81407794
Cassandra Cain, she's daughter of David Cain & Lady Shiva. She was never taught language until later, instead she was taught the "language of body". She can't read or write because until Barbara started teaching her no one taught her how to.

Her body is covered in scars from her childhood. Seeing how she was to be the perfect bodyguard for Ra's, and her first kill was like at age of 8. She killed a pedophile that her father set up, and she was horrified by it.
>>
>>81407409
He was raised by foster parents that instilled hydrophobia into their "son" because they were afraid his true parents would wisk him away.
>>
>>81390886
What the fuck is wrong with DCEU Alfred
>>
>>81403960
And Jay Garrick said Barry Allen was the one who made him The Flash. This is even lower than fanfics
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.