[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homestar Runner April Fool's Day joke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (188 KB, 568x434) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
188 KB, 568x434
For April Fool's Day, they did a 31 minute long Marzipan's Answering Machine episode.

However, I'm genuinely mad at THIS. What happened to the embedded flashes of yonder? Bring back 2006!
>>
>>81370398
didn't you hear? flash is dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nuQ5o2DYU
>>
>>81370398
*crickets*
>>
Flash dying is a good thing.
Fuck you if you think otherwise.
>>
>>81375747
why couldnt they just FIX it?
>>
>>81376046
I don't know, why didn't they just fix the Titanic?
>>
>>81376565
they did. boats are better now
>>
>>81376046
To fix flash they'd have to start from scratch.
They'd just have to make a whole new thing anyways.
>>
I never got the fucking appeal of Homestar Runner. Maybe I was born too late but when I watch it, it's an anomaly. I don't laugh, I don't smile, i'm just confused on how this was massive at one point. Can someone explain please?!
>>
>>81376644
bullshit. it's browsers that have been intentionally getting stupider and bloatier so they dont run flash as well. flash itself didnt need to change
>>
>>81376708
Kids were easier to entertain back then. You are too refined, classy and advanced for this material. You are just simply better than everyone else.
>>
>>81376708
you must have been born too late. it's a shibboleth. if you were born with a silver ipad in your mouth, you won't get homestar.
homestarrunner is a timecapsule of shitty old monochrome computers, crinkle-cut fries served in red and white checkerboard paper baskets, and game cartridges being called 'tapes' by other kids
oh, and.. yknow. other kids. having other kids around you're friends with.
>>
>>81376824
Thank you.
>>
>>81376779
Flash is full of vulnerabilities that they will never be able to fully patch away.
But even so the real problem is that flash is shit and worse than any of the viruses, malwares and crackers that you could get through it's many exploits.
>>
>>81376708
Well, people like what they like, if you personally don't then that's fine.

As for why it was so popular, I can say a significant reason was at the time there wasn't a whole lot in regards to regular content on the internet. Especially in regards to video. Homestar Runner helped establish that the internet could launch it's own pop culture without the assistance of old media.

Think of it like Howdy Doody. I'm sure if you'd watch that you'd be baffled at how it was such a huge thing, but it was, and without it a lot of the stuff you actually like might not have been possible.
>>
>>81376708
It was the (relatively) early days of web 1.0. Have you seen the kind of shit people though was funny back then? Fucking "All Your Base"?

If there's one consolation, in 15 years the stuff you think is funny now will seem incredibly stupid as well.
>>
>>81376708
It's got a few different levels of humor. It's got some good wit in some jokes and lines while also having a lot of absurd situations and phrases. And with the absurd situations there's usually a character to go along with it and another character to be aware of how absurd it is. A lot of the lines are also funny because sometimes they'll just casually say stuff without really thinking so you just kind of end up with some amusing nonsense. On top of that, they're also really on point on real-life observations. It's fun watching how accurately they portray things like early-internet websites.

I don't know, it's difficult to explain why something is funny. It just is. If you can't get it then I guess it's just not for you. And as others have mentioned, it was a very early time in the internet before webcomics and webcartoons were a big thing. Though I honestly wouldn't leave it all to that since the cartoons still hold up compared to thing like weebl's stuff.
>>
>>81375747
Maybe for other things, but not Homestar.
>>
>>81376708
When you say "born too late", how late exactly are we talking? This may be crucial to understanding.
>>
>>81377957
He will never have a true and proper childhood.

Poor thing.
>>
>>81376992
>wolling my eyes
>>
>>81376708
It's really a product of its time. If you weren't there with it when it was prevalent in the early-mid 2000s, then you're not going to get into it now. Especially since so much of its humor is based on self-references and inside jokes and they have several years worth of material. It's pretty much impossible to get caught up with as a newcomer because there's no easy chronology to follow either.
>>
Was that John Linnell as The Poopsmith?
>>
>>81378359
well actually there is. the wiki has a guide to all the toons in chronological order
that said, NOBODY finds the realllly early stuff funny. it wasnt supposed to be supremely funny, just like a nice little story like youd read in a book.
>>
>>81378478
it wiggity was.
i guess he couldnt wait for another 200 sbemails to talk again
>>
>>81377102
>Think of it like Howdy Doody.

Princess Summerfall Winterspring = ultimate waifu
>>
File: English.gif (137 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
English.gif
137 KB, 500x352
>>81376708
I was born pretty late, didn't get into it until during the hiatus, so here's a brief summary from a young idiot's viewpoint:
>Strong Bad's snarkiness, which pokes fun at multiple topics you can relate to while still being mostly kid-friendly (see: his criticism of spelling errors)
>Wordplay that's naturally goofy, but still casual and logical without making a big deal about it (see also: brain-for-brains)
>Injokes that make you feel like you're part of a special club when you understood them
>Pieces that are intentionally poorly-done and let you laugh at the characters (see: Powered By The Cheat)
>Wide variety of goofy voices and catchy music

Honestly, though, I got the biggest laughs from Teen Girl Squad, just because of how intentionally jarring it could get. And the Halloween Costume Critiques.

I don't agree with people saying it was a product of its time. It was intentionally dated when it was released, with references to 80s music and video games that younglings of the time probably wouldn't get. Look at Stinkoman; he's a parody of anime, but he looks more like early 80s Megaman than what was popular at the time (like FLCL, Azumanga, or Evangelion). I'm no expert, but Coach Z's raps sound decidedly early-90s. And all of Strong Bad's computers are completely outdated. Maybe "a product of its time" for college people in the early 2000s who had childhoods in the 80s; but I don't think people who grew up on Homestar Runner were the target demographic.
>>
>>81379081
The thing is, it's a product of its time, and that time is 'all the time from when your dad was a kid until when people stopped using computers and started using phones'
>>
>>81377127
>he didn't like all your base
you have no chance to survive, make your time
>>
>>81380650
>not getting into both homestar and AYB years after they were both tired and old
move, zig
for great justice
>>
>>81379081
Mega Man didn't exist in the early '80s.
>>
>>81381153
i assume there's a missing comma there.
>>
>>81381153
>>81381273
Sorry, no, that was my bad. Didn't do my research.

The thing it seemed to reference the most besides Mega Man was Akira, which was in the late 80s as well.
>>
>>81376708
It was pretty unique humour at the time, and likely inspired a LOT of this generation's internet humour. But because of that, it looks like "the same as stuff you might get now, but just not as good". Not because it wasn't good back then, but just because that sort of humour's been so much more refined over the years.

It's like that with Seinfeld, Batman The Animated Series, Final Fantasy 4, and early Megatokyo (yes, really). All stuff that was pretty groundbreaking at the time, but come off as astoundingly mediocre today.
>>
>>81384301
>Homestar
>mediocre
HR's humor is so bizarre and relatable that it has me laughing every time.
>>
>>81384301
i still miss l33t
honestly i don't think the h-star the h-star-r has that seinfeldy 'everyone else has done this better now' aspect at all. the only other thing even slightly like it is early adventure time. but really homestar has more of a classic simpsons feel. sorta like gravity falls had.. you can feel the mattchapman in it
>>
>>81379081
I always liked the way they'd just make up phrases and words on the fly and use them naturally as if you were supposed to understand them. And most of the time you did thanks to the context.
>>
>>81386403
very well constructed portmanteaux
>>
>>81376579
They didn't fix the fucking titantic you retard, the titantic sunk.

Not all boats are the titanic.
>>
>>81386789
all boats are the titanic, anon. it was the best boat. they didnt stop having best boat and start working on planes instead. they kept building big titanic-y ones, but without the problems
>>
>>81387145
Holy fuck you are stupid. This is beyond anything I've ever seen in my life. You know you have to be 18+ to browse this website right?
>>
>>81387145
I'm pretty sure the best boat is Brown Boats
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.