[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those who grew up watching He-Man and She-Ra, did your parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10
File: gray.jpg (37 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gray.jpg
37 KB, 400x300
For those who grew up watching He-Man and She-Ra, did your parents think it was too violent ot satanic and stuff? What was the perception of it and other shows where you lived as a kid?
>>
File: 1133245709433.jpg (32 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
1133245709433.jpg
32 KB, 352x240
>>
Yeah right, so Conan, Red Sonja, Tarzan, Thundarr, Blackstar, Thundercats, John Carter, Dejah Thoris, Beastmaster etc are satanic too. Guess that you have never heard before about the Sword and Sorcery, or the High Fantasy genre before?
>>
I bought a book at a flea market last year called 'Saturday Morning Mind Control"
and its a pretty good read its some guy writing about the dangers of not only Saturday morning cartoons but comics, toys and video games as well
but he talks about He-Man and how its satanic and all that stuff
>>
>>81367132
Are we still in the Dark Ages? There is nothing satanic about He-Man, that's BS. It's a typical Fantasy series.
>>
>>81367123
Calm down, I'm talking about parents exagerating things. I wasn't allowed to watch the first Power Rangers as a kid because my parents were like that.
I wasn't around at the time but it seems these shows were differemt or at least popular enough to get atention from certain groups.
Is it true that it had more action than people were used to for cartoons?
>>
>>81367204
to be fair the book came out around 1990
a lot of people got caught up in the idea that cartoons and stuff will ruin their children
>>
>>81367030

Did other countries have to deal with this "cartoons and video games are satanic" shit or was it just america?
>>
It was an action series yes, but so what? It was not the first and neither the last action cartoon. The Tarzan cartoon that came before He-Man also has action. And afterwards well Transformers, Thunderacts, Conan the Adventurer.
>>
>all these PC parents that thought every other show was satanic
>my parents would try and force me to watch horror movies because they wanted me to "face my fears"
>>
>>81367263
Millions of children saw these cartoons. With that logic millions of nowdays adults would have been "ruined" because of these cartoons
>>
>>81367356
Im not defending them or anything
They were just misguided
>>
My parents just thought it was stupid
>>
File: seiya_00.jpg (57 KB, 595x800) Image search: [Google]
seiya_00.jpg
57 KB, 595x800
He-Man was OK because one of the main inspirations was Superman and my mom loved Superman on her childhood.
What my mom hated and viewed as gay and satanic was Saint Seiya
>>
>>81367439
I guess that Harry Potter, would be regarded as the Lucifer himself in that case.
>>
>>81367492
In my country that anime show used to be controversial...Until Dragonball appeared, and all the accusations of satanism and promoting violence moved to that series.
>>
>>81367463
It's High Fantasy, it's escapism. If you don't like the genre, then you cannot appreciate it.
>>
>>81367356
- Millennians
- Carl the cuck
- /r9k/
- Nicky Minaj
- Rapefugees
- Donald Trump has serious chances of becoming president of the United States

Maybe soccer moms had a point
>>
>>81367492
I get the gay thing, but satanic isn't exactly the firth thing to come to mind when I think of Saint Seiya.
>>
>>81367571
Okay dude, want my dad's phone number so you can tell him that?
>>
>>81367575
And i guess that He-Man is responsable for all this, lol. Don't know if this is ridiculous or completely retarded.
>>
>>81367585
Dude, Lucifer himself appeared in one of the movies. Yes, he was a villain and all, but for some people if the Devil appears in something that thing is definately satanic unless the devil is defeating by praying to Jesus. This is why so many religious people liked The Exorcist.
>>
>>81367627
Not a fan of Marvel's Thor either huh?
>>
>>81367642
The generation Y was an extreme reaction to the 80s macho culture and 90s cinical teenagers were kids who learned morals from toys advertisements
>>
>>81367642
Its a joke, not a cock m8, calm down.
>>
>>81367708
Let's be honest the nowdays superhero worship is not much different from the 80's or 90's action cartoon hero worship. For example the current Thor is not much different from the 80's He-Man, or Conan. But guess since is Disney he is getting a free pass.
>>
>>81367123
I thought I was the only one who remembered Blackstar. I was reminded of it by homage weapons in Demon's Souls recently.
>>
File: 0046_07.gif (44 KB, 468x240) Image search: [Google]
0046_07.gif
44 KB, 468x240
>>81367123
Were you born after 2000?

In the 60s-90s loads of people on the religious right used to think any kind of sword and sorcery was a Satanic conspiracy; and they also put a load of pressure on cartoon and toy makers too. They were REALLY powerful in the early 80s. They're the reason why GI Joe had those PSA's after each episode. They had to justify being so violent.
>>
>>81367030

my parents used to be pretty strict catholics when up until i was about 15 (they mellowed out when my older brothers left), and still never accused a cartoon of being too violent or satanic

fuck they would let me watch literally any movie or show, because they said "the real world was 10x worse"
>>
>>81367030

i thought teela had a nice ass.
>>
>>81367302
I don't recall any satanic panics in Finland, but there were some complaints that Power Rangers was too violent and that Dragon Ball normalised pedophilia because of Mutenroshi lusting after teenage Bulma (who critics always insisted on calling a little girl).
>>
>>81368100
>fuck they would let me watch literally any movie or show, because they said "the real world was 10x worse"
You parents sound cool.
>>
>>81367030
Nope...but then again, black people tend to not be wimpy religious nuts, trying to wrap children in safety blankets.
>>
>>81368672
middle class+ evangelical black people are as retarded as middle class+ evangelical whites
>>
>>81367030
No, nobody not trying to sell you something actually believes that bollocks.
They did get a bit annoyed when I would pester for the toys which I can sympathize with now I'm a parent myself.
>>
>>81367585
The good guys pray to a pagan goddess. Remember the Catholic Church has actual political power on Latin America and until the early 20th century, there wasn't freedom of religion. The old generation still see any non-Christian cult as satanic, even on a glorified chinese toy commercial. The gay overtones didn't help because homosexuality is satanic
>>
>>81367302
No satanism stuff, but up until relatively recently, media authorities in my country were very uptight and dictatorial. Anything even remotely out of tune with old-fashioned commie kids' cartoons and watered-down Hanna Barbera shows got parents up in arms. Basically, they didn't get the memo that it wasn't the Soviet Union anymore.

Probably part of why we don't get anime. Shit got stifled just when it was getting popular.
>>
>>81367302
European countries are pretty secular to the point where anyone talking about Satan just gets laughed at.
There was some concern about TMNT being too violent and kids copying Power Rangers but no one I know took that seriously
>>
Little sister couldnt watch She-Ra because "it was a bad influence on young girls", but this was probably because she beat some kid up. I was allowed to watch He-man but mom always looked annoyed when she was in the room and Skeletor showed up.
>>
>>81367030
She-Ra didn't even have violence.
>>
>>81367132
AHAHAHAHAHA! I came to this thread to talk about that book in case people didn't realize how REAL the reactionary, morally-indignant "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" school of thought was in the 80s. Sure, it's still around, but they move on to different things.

Anyway, my mom had a copy of it, which I'm pretty sure she never read (although she DID buy into that whole "Pokemon is TEH DEVIL" meme and ruined my late 90s), but *I* did as a kid. It was really fascinating to me, because most of the cartoons it described weren't even on the air anymore in my childhood and I was always eager to learn more about older cartoons. I scoffed at the writer's declaration of anything fantastical as "Satanic", especially because I'd actually read my Bible and knew that God did all sorts of messed-up shit too (water/wine to blood, talking donkeys, sending bears to eat kids alive, etc.), but some of his reaches - such as pointing out how The Wuzzles or Scales, the snake Go-Bot, can be compared to ancient Egyptian half-man, half-beast gods, did get me to think more about how mythological cartoons can be with the right (or wrong) viewpoint.

While his reactionary cries of "you must protect your kids from all heathen religion!" were questioned by me even as a kid ("What if the parent reading this ISN'T Christian?"), a lot of the book is about how dangerous the new commercialization of cartoons at the time was - how kids can be easily manipulated by advertisers through shows. Nancy Reagan argued against her husband's decision to legalize that sorta content, because "kids brought up on programs meant to sell products, won't be able to tell the difference as they grow up", and she was NOT WRONG. Nowadays, we have Walking Dead and Breaking Bad action figures just because our generation(s) EXPECT them to exist.
>>
>>81368672
Yeah, white people are the worst.

My parents thought Fat Albert was Satanic. The junkyard they played in was supposed to represent Hell. Fat Albert was The Beast and the kids were his disciples. My dad said "HEY HEY HEY!" was really part of an anti-christian chant and when you played the theme backwards you could hear "Down in the pit, come for me, Satan rise, Evil not good - HEY HEY HEY - Born daaaaaaaaaamned".

Also, Hong Kong Phooey was a closet homosexual. At least that kind of makes sense.
>>
>>81367236
S'funny, I can remember my parents wouldn't let me watch MMPR when it first came on the air for such reasons, but they relented by the time the second season came out... and so my first memory of PR was of Lord Zedd, who actually WAS horrifying compared to anything I'd have seen in the first season.
>>
>>81367530
...you never knew any kids from religious families growing up, did you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9-gWlR5TA
>>
>>81368672
Actually, a good-sized percentage of Jehovah's Witnesses are black, and in my experience, black-Jehovah's-Witnesses are WAY more fucking draconian about that shit than even most fundie Christians. Or at least, their kids buy into that shit more, because, at least in African-American culture, black people are very superstitious. I once knew a grown-ass black man who FREAKED THE FUCK OUT and ripped out a copy of Fellowship of the Ring from a DVD player because GOLLUM IZ UH DEMUN
>>
>>81367328
How did that go, Anon?
>>
it just goes to show

no body really has any idea

ABOUT THE GLORY OF SATAN!!

Seriously though, do any of these people have any clue about actual satanism?
>>
>>81367687
What's it like to fail at reading comprehension so consistently? NOBODY here is advocating these beliefs, we're discussing them, presumably because if you were a kid growing up under these kind of parents, you COULDN'T talk about how bullshit it was without getting in trouble. Now that we're older, we can share our experiences and try to figure out WHY our parents were so paranoid.
>>
>>81369302
That might just be because Skeletor is annoying.
>>
>>81367675
>This is why so many religious people liked The Exorcist.
But anon, the demon ISN'T defeated by Christ in that movie. The whole point is that the titular exorcism fails, one priest dies, and the other is forced to damn his immortal soul (suicide is a sin) to send Pazuzu back to hell.
>>
>>81367989
It's ironic, doncha think, that the works of HPL and Robert E. Howard date back to a time when society was MORE repressed.
>>
File: 1441404967893.png (630 KB, 672x537) Image search: [Google]
1441404967893.png
630 KB, 672x537
>>81369911
>That might just be because Skeletor is annoying.

How fucking dare you.
>>
>He-Man
>Satanic

He's wearing a huge Crusader Cross on his chest.

He's obviously a servant of the Lord.

Deus definitely vults
>>
>>81369849
No, but then actual Satanism has next to nothing to do with "actual" Satan, so...
>>
>>81369992
In times of repression, the need of escapism is always becoming more urgent. Immagination is a gateway in those cases, from the real world's problems.
>>
>>81370096
But he's magical.

Magic is a product of Satan according to people who have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>81369992
Think of Julius Verne for example. He wanted to become a sailor and go to see the world, but his oppressing father forced him tro be a lawyer. Then Verne promised that "from now on i will travel only with my immagination". And he became one of the greatest, if not the greatest Sci/Fi writer of all time.
>>
>>81370166

Godly intervention = miracles = good
Devil intervention = magic= evil

simple
>>
>>81370287
>And he became one of the greatest, if not the greatest Sci/Fi writer of all time.

It would have been nice to live in an era when all those wacky ideas wouldn't have been immediately shot down for being too inaccurate or implausible.
>>
>>81367030
This question must have the country in consideration .
In mine , nobody gives a shit about what is in a cartoon .
we had simpsoms at mornings on a children tv block
>>
>>81370106
HA

this is very true!
>>
>>81367030
So, I was curious about this, and it turns out that He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was indeed one of many things targeted by the Satanic Panic of the 80s.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/07/31/star-wars-is-satanic-et-is-occult-and-the-smurfs-are-undead-gays
>>
>>81370357
Could you immagine if Verne was born a couple of centuries earlier. Ideas like "exploring the oceans with submarines powered by electricity", "going to the moon", "travelling to the center of the Earth", "creating genetic monsters in the mysterious island" they would definitely sent him to burn for witchcraft.
>>
>>81370106
I'm talking real satanism, not that trolling bullshit.
>>
>>81367302
ex-Yugoslavia here. no problems whatsoever, these cartoons were regarded as kids stuff and everyone in my generation was watching them. aired on the national television right before the sunday evening news (prime time here). pretty much the same nowadays.

>no god = no satan
>>
When I started reading Lovecraft my dad asked me if it was ok because he'd had a creepy encounter with some vodoo dude in a library who asked him if he was "interested in such things" when browsing a book.

I told him that was probably Aleister Crowley he was thinking of and that ol' Howard P was all sci fi.

As for He man are you kidding? Skeletor turned good because of the power of christmas. Perhaps they were a little concerned when I started singing the She-ra theme song, but I think an interest in She-ra is pretty heathy for a little boy.
>>
>>81370980
>think an interest in She-ra is pretty heathy for a little boy.

its either gateway fap material or brings out your hidden gay self

if you were singing the theme song, probably the later
>>
>>81367123
great reading comprehension anon
>>
>>81367030
My parents only let me watch PBS educational shows
>>
>>81367123
>>81367204
>>81367356
>>81367571
>>81367642
>>81367530
Are these all the same anon, lacking a sense of humor/reading comprehension?
>>
>>81370677
>"going to the moon"
Didn't Kepler write that and not get burned?
>>
>>81371313

they put his mom on a jail over witchery accusation for that, because they couldnt get to him due to his royal connections.

he ended up burning his sci fi epic (first ever)
>>
>>81369622
I think Goldar was the main reason my parents didn't allow me to watch it. With his scary dark face, red eyes and feathery wings, he obviously had to be a demon. I had no idea he was supposed to be a monkey.
It was so baffling to watch a random episode from a later season and learn that he had become a comic relief.
>>
>>81367302
Here in Mexico we all knew that one kid whose parents would not let play Pokemon/YuGiOh/Resident Evil because his parents told him it was satanic
>>
>>81367302
Every place has its crazies.

I specifically remember media watchdogs here in Hungary throwing shit at the toned-down French edit of Dragon Ball and DBZ (they wanted to force an 18+ rating on it), and later Pokemon and The Clone Wars (which they wanted to rate 16+) for showing scenes of peril, spaceships on fire, aliens being hurt, and for episodes not having feelgood happy endings.
>>
>>81367204
That sounds exactly like something that a member of childmindcontrolsatanilluminati would say.
>>
>>81368435
Guess you never saw this at school, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWffRNgYnc
>>
>>81373573
Really? Are Howard, Tolkien, Burroughs, Lewis, members too?
>>
>>81367030
No, I didn't grow up in retarded america with retarded parents lmfao
>>
>1980s
>All this material will distract our children from the salvation and Jesus Christ and will lead them to the path of satan
>Lol u dumb

>1990
>The number if cartoons continues to rise
>Numbers of atheists is on the rise

>2010
>More cartoons than ever, more unchristian messages everyday, lesbian space rocks, furries
>More atheists than ever before
>Gay marriage becomes the standard

LOOKS LIKE THOSE PREACHERS WERE SOOOOOOO WRONG! WHAT A BUNCH OF WEIRDUMMIES! LOL!
>>
>>81367204
>On the internet no one knows you are a satanist.jpg
>>
>>81373888
Agreed, but everyone can see who is retarded.
>>
>>81373841
a
>>
>>81370980
>>81371062
No offense, I'd argue that enjoying He-Man is WAY more indicative of homosexuality than enjoying She-Ra, if you're a boy.

She-Ra was the better written of the two shows too.
>>
File: 1459178170321.gif (93 KB, 2000x2059) Image search: [Google]
1459178170321.gif
93 KB, 2000x2059
>>81373841

/pol/ pls

Caring about people's belief systems and caring about what people decide to shove up their bums doesn't make you a better person.

It only makes you a person who cares too much about asses and beliefs
>>
>>81370881
Slovenc?
>>
>>81373841
So Saturday morning cartoons are redeeming western civilization? Cool.
>>
>>81374127
Anyobdy have the comic where before parents didnt let kids play games cause of satan and now parents not letting kids play because they are misogynist and shit
>>
>>81370166
>>81370290

"Magic" is simply the religion that's not mainstream.
>>
>>81367530
My mother legitimately did not let me watch Harry Potter when I grew up because it "glorified witchcraft."

Fast forward 10 years, long after she left the church she was attending, my aunt let us borrow her collection of Harry Potter dvds. I planned to rip them to my computer and casually watch one a week. My mother downed all 8 movies in 3 days, and liked them.
>>
>>81374283
You just a gay in denial
>>
File: img_b.jpg (172 KB, 360x278) Image search: [Google]
img_b.jpg
172 KB, 360x278
>>81370980
>>81371062
>>81374064
What if I turned out to be bi?
>>
>>81367030
My uncle worked for Matell at the time. They had an employee store at the warehouse he worked in where they could buy toys for dirt cheap. Like 2 figures for a dollar. Kids weren't allowed inside so I usually circled what I wanted in a store catalog.

So my parents liked when I asked for he man toys because they didn't have to pay much for them.

I do remember people talking about how it was just a 30 minute doll commercial and how all TV would end up like that eventually. No satan stuff though.
>>
>>81374314
>My mother legitimately did not let me watch Harry Potter when I grew up because it "glorified witchcraft."

was your mother "young"? (Under 50)

-50 parents easily go full retard and can't deal with the complexity of society while trying to raise their kids "right"

Once parents age a bit more, they become much more open.
>>
>>81374411
>Once parents age a bit more, they become much more open.
You sound like a 11 year old literally believing his parents are the base model for the rest of the world.
>>
File: OTP.jpg (227 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
OTP.jpg
227 KB, 720x1280
>>81374357

Thats fine. Bi is the 21th century master race
>>
File: sorceress.png (1 MB, 1283x960) Image search: [Google]
sorceress.png
1 MB, 1283x960
>>81367030
I remember watching He-Man as a kid when my dad was in the room and he said: "Damn, that eagle girl is pretty sexy, huh?"
>>
>>81374473
Every parent i know has become more open

This happens when one of their kids turns out to be gay, or when tragedy makes them a bit indifferent of religion, or when they realize they won't live for many more years now.
>>
>>81374411
At the time she was in her mid 40's.
>>
>1984
https://youtu.be/Hnjdq32u-MU

>00s
https://youtu.be/FR7wOGyAzpw

Were they all that wrong after all?
The kids are openly consuming memes on the streets and the schools for crickey's sake.
They are practicing hardcore mememagic right in their own homes and not one parent is concerned about any of this in the least bit!
>>
>>81376240
Disney/Marvel is releasing Dr. Strange in few months. We are talking about the Sorcerer Supreme of their Universe, and a character, who is far more magical, than just an old fashion barbarian from an alien world. Should be this movie being boycotted or kept away from a children audience?
>>
>>81377024
We should warn everyone of this movie and make an "informative" book or a vhs-tape that we can give to them in exchange of ~50 dollars + shipping.
>>
>>81373064
wow was Hungary that bored?
>>
>>81380440
No, it just experienced a combined case of
>it's animated, so lets aim it towards little kids regardless of content
and
>it's too different from the shit kids watched during the Soviet era, so lets try to ban it
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.