[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm so sick of the Trigon arc. Are there seriously no other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16
I'm so sick of the Trigon arc. Are there seriously no other good Teen Titan stories? Every time new TT media comes out, it's a race to get to Trigon.
>>
Not unless ravenger is around. And you know, most teen titans get killed off. Miss Martian and red/kid devil had good plot thread going where their future selfs were evil. They kinda touched on the MM thing in young justice but not really.
>>
Other than Trigon, there's Jericho maybe.
>>
>>81362959
Deathstroke? He was GOAT villain in the show.
Hell, I'd like to see more of any of the villains in the show. Especially the teen villains. Gizmo was pretty rad, but I'm not sure he even exists in the comics.
>>
>>81362959
There's quite a few good ones, but the problem is a lot relied on it's relevance to the time period, the 1980's.
The New Teen Titans mag (the one everyone talks about when they talk about the team) often ran socially or pop culturally relevant stories at the time if it's publication; kids getting abducted info cults (didn't actually happen but this was the era of Satanic Ritual Abuse fears), Satanism-based Rosemary's baby shit (everything to do with Raven), drug peddler stuff (DON'T DO DRUGS), USSR tensions (the entire story with the original Starfire), Star Wars-like scifi (the return Tamaran and Starfire's throw-down with her sister Blackfire on their homeworld as well as the associated subplot with The Citadel), and then stuff related to the team's individuals origins which aren't usually even in the adaptions of NTT at all such as the deaths of the Doom Patrol and Gar's subsequent orphaning.

There was also stuff like the War of the Gods storyline (which was notable for featuring none of the male Titans), and especially the Judas Contract.
>>
File: STAR10212.jpg (142 KB, 450x691) Image search: [Google]
STAR10212.jpg
142 KB, 450x691
>>81362959
They could always try this. Not sure how it would work, but I'd be interested in seeing how it turned out.
>>
That's all there is. Trigon and Judas Contract
>>
>>81362959
It was to tell and resolve Raven's origin story.
>>
>>81364781
>Jericho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQXGa6N10Nk
>>
>>81364923
No, but it's okay that you don't read comics.
>>
What else is there?

H.I.V.E.?
>>
File: 1459335051611.jpg (20 KB, 328x396) Image search: [Google]
1459335051611.jpg
20 KB, 328x396
Why hasn't they considered be doing RED FUCKING X

It is reel in the mad bucks like a whore to tits and lipstick!

EDGY SKULLMAN IN A CAPE.
DC WHY? YOU DUMB IDIOTS.
>>
>>81364954
HIVE's plotline was basically tightly intertwined with Deathstroke's.
Remember, he was a mercenary and didn't just randomly decide he wanted to kill a bunch of kids; he was getting paid and avenging what he saw as the death of his son Grant.
>>81364962
Because he only exists in the animated series and no one working on these shows was young enough to have fond memories of it.
Also, that's pretty much a single episode's worth of plot at best.
>>
Dr. Light?
But I don't remember any good story arc with him.
>>
File: sailor_tamaran.webm (3 MB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
sailor_tamaran.webm
3 MB, 960x544
Blackfire I don't think anyone would mind a Kory centered story.
>>
>>81364962
red x isn't real.
>>
>>81365017
is him being a rapist a story arc? they could do that
>>
Where's our Team Titans adaptation?
>>
>>81365017
Doctor Light was a serious threat at first, but he gradually got turned more and more into a joke character as time went on; whenever he showed up a more serious threat always showed up and kicked his ass.

Brother Blood and the Fearsome Five are also good recurring villains.
>>
Jericho,Brother Blood, HIVE,the Reach(if you want to focus on Blue Beetle),Blackfire and maybe Harvest(he would need a major retool to work as a villain in a movie or TV show)
>>
>>81362959

>Are there seriously no other good Teen Titan stories?

The Judas Contract appears to be next on the adaptation hit-list, if the Terra tease at the end is any indication.
>>
>>81365067

DAT ASS, GOTDAMN.
>>
>>81362959
You could always do that story about the Teen Titans team that got their powers from aliens from Titan and were lead by a de-aged Ray Palmer.
>>
>>81364876
Looks like a lot of great shit.

Why writters can't do anything similar these days? We would have only ISIS and terrorism to talk about?
>>
>>81365117
I'm almost positive that his declining effectiveness was because of >>81365083 the magic brain fuckery.
>>
>>81365208

>Why writters can't do anything similar these days?

In regards to animated adaptations? Production lead times and the need to make things "kid-friendly" without going too dark (because it's animation and animation is for kids, as you probably know).
>>
>>81365251
That was the intended explanation with that retcon
>>
>>81364950
No, it's not...

>>81364923
Should An-hero.
>>
>>81365208
Nah it's probably just comic writers aren't as invested in current events as the ones in the 80s were. They really got everything back then, from Iran Contra to Quebecois separatist movements.
>>
>>81365208
We do have that, but people don't like things like BLM showing up in their comics
>>
File: 6588.gif (341 KB, 265x198) Image search: [Google]
6588.gif
341 KB, 265x198
>>81364876

Wow this shit is clear as day but I never realized it before it was all laid out in my face. Good post.
>>
>>81365208
It comes off as heavy-handed with most writers. It requires a good writer to pull it off, and most writers these days are still struggling like fuck with the pacing of decompressed comics, let alone with matters that require a lot of dialogue and pages that AREN'T about punching things.
>We would have only ISIS and terrorism to talk about?
Cursory examination of current events says that this is not the case, but political correctness is important in modern day, and I'm not just spouting that as a line.
It's why Suicide Squad doesn't work as a series anymore; the original one was good because it had some edgy shit for the period (there were stories involving a terrorist super team funded by OPEC countries, an infiltration of the USSR to rescue a political prisoner, and rigging an election in the US to prevent a fascist-leaning guy from gaining power) that doesn't work in modern contexts.

Killing the Joker? You don't need an illegal off the books hit team to do that. You just need to pay off one or two of Gothams three or four hundred dirty cops to empty a magazine into his head while he's in police custody.
>>
>>81365275
Maybe, but there's also a bit of getting away with it because you were the first to do it and no one had any idea what was going on until they caught up. But from that point on they stayed on the look out for those particular topics.
>>
>>81365293
I wouldn't mind it if they handled it well. Something like the Trial of Oliver Queen instead of it just being more like some hero saying "I endorse Black Lives Matter" awkwardly in the middle of some storyline.
>>
>>81365208

They do ALL THE TIME. Why the fuck do you think the comic discussions on this board are 90% anons bitching about "sjws" or "tumblr" or whatever.
>>
>>81365251
It was, but that was a retcon.
Ironically every time Light showed up he was ALWAYS show to be hugely powerful, and he could regularly do things like take out half of their active fighting strength in one shot, it was just that his ability to plan was awful and his luck was even worse then that.

Later in his repeated failures and awful luck made him a nervous wreck.
>>
>>81365067
are we sailor moon now?
>>
>>81365275
In the 80's the people who were writing comics hadn't grown up in a time period where interest in comics meant being part of a weird and insular subculture, which comics became during and after the 1980's.
Now all comics-authors WERE part of that subculture and the more insular a subculture is the less likely a member of it is likely to know anything accurate about current events.
>>
>>81364876
also:
>Who is Donna Troy?
>Roman gods and Titans storyline
>HIVE
>Blood Brother cult
>Wildebeast arc (AKA Jericho goes crazy)
>Titans Hunt
>>
>>81365416
>Who is Donna Troy?
A hard one to pitch.
It relies on using a character they never use as an important plot point (Donna herself), no action whatsoever, and just detective work and exposition.

All of these are things that do not happen in animated adaptions.
>>
>>81365443
Dick was so great in that story. When some always says that Tim is the detective (between the Robins) is someone that never read Who is Donna Troy.
>>
>>81365416
>who is Donna Troy?
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>81365067
Does that permanently destroy her clothes?
>>
>>81365374

Bronze Age was pretty much the perfect storm for comics.

First group of creators that grew up reading comics and actually had a respect for comics history and some pride in their profession. Many were college educated and had more academic knowledge of literature or art. Pretty much all of them were radicalized by the 60's and writing from a youth movement that actually was "with it" and knew what was up instead of awkwardly trying to tap into the "with it demographic".
>>
>>81365467
if you give a shit what are you doing in a Titans thread?
>>
File: teen titans 034.jpg (155 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
teen titans 034.jpg
155 KB, 530x800
Good place to ask, when should I stop reading the Wolfman run? When Perez leaves after the title change?
>>
>>81365461
Dick is in many ways the lead character of New Teen Titans, being the team leader and guy who comes up with all the plans.
Him going from Robin to Nightwing is an important part of his character development as his entire motive for committing to the Titans at the beginning was to find a place for himself outside of the Dynamic Duo, where he was feeling increasingly confined and uncomfortable.
Judas Contract isn't just about the betrayal of the Titans, but also about Dick finally becoming his own man and deciding who he wants to be in his life.
>>
>Trigon
Who came up with that dumb name. It doesn't even sound that threating.
>>
>>81365508
Just posting best titan girl.
>>
>>81365508
Cause I'm an asshole and also no one gives a shit about who is Donna troy. Her being an amazon is the extant of what you need to know about the character.
>>
>>81365509
You can keep reading it if you want, but there's still some stuff in Tales of the Teen Titans and such that's good.
The Wolfman-Perez era really was the best though; apparently the two lived near each other and became good friends, so they'd have lunch and discuss the next issue's layout and story the day before and thus the plotting was really tight and coordinated.
>>
>>81362959
So how would you guys make Trigon interesting?
>>
>>81365514
it doesn't even make sense. he has four eyes, and nothing to do with the number three
>>
>>81365722
Maybe Trigon is just really into Trigonometry?
>>
File: 1430193491400.jpg (39 KB, 425x404) Image search: [Google]
1430193491400.jpg
39 KB, 425x404
Posting Raven in a trigon thread.
>>
>>81365634
You can't in a cartoon, sorry.
It will always need to be kid-friendly, and Trigon is basically just Satan and in the first arc showing him he horribly killed a woman AND her five year old daughter (letting Raven save the daughter, just before immolating the kid right after she expended all her energy healing her once), enslaved an attractive princess of a conquered people whom he then explicitly committed genocide on one page later because they annoyed him.
In his second arc he takes over Earth and does some horrific body-horror fleshwarping shit to everyone, INCLUDING the Titans, and turns the Earth into actual Hell.

None of which you can show in TV in a children's cartoon.
>>
>>81365822
Very clever anon, now post one with clothes please.
>>
>>81364954
I wish they'd just do a movie of the Wildebeest arc as teens, seeing as DCAU doesn't care about the adult Titans (they ARE rather dull), and they already set a precedent with doing that by with Terra's storyline being in Teen Titans. And give us ANTHRO Pantha, not luchadora Pantha.
>>
>>81365871
As you wish.
>>
File: 1333944384459.jpg (1 MB, 1873x2631) Image search: [Google]
1333944384459.jpg
1 MB, 1873x2631
>>81365634
By pulling a SMT and having the friend break up into different fractions and killing each other to remake the world.

The shit that DC and Marvel are scared to touch.
>>
>>81365094
The Team Titans were those people from the future who went back in time to kill Donna Troy because her kid was a dictator in the future,right?
>>
File: WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE.gif (2 MB, 480x327) Image search: [Google]
WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE.gif
2 MB, 480x327
>>81365534
>we'll never have a decent Duela again
>>
>>81366157
>the .gif
Completely uncalled for, couldn't she see he was trying to read a book?
>>
>>81362959
it was kind of cool when Jason Todd beat Tim in the Titan's tower while wearing his old Robin suit.
>>
>>81364802
He does, but he's not a little kid. He's a hairy dwarf.
>>
I want them to make a new new teen titans with all sorts of new characters for the team. None of the old ones at all. It provides chances for new stories, no?

I don't know a lot about comics but from what my friend speaks it seems a lot of it is just resetting and going back and telling the same story with the same characters, dying, being brought back to life, e.tc.?

How come? What makes comics different than any other form of media that has new ideas a lot? Why all the rehash for the past 50 years? Just make new characters and make them not suck balls and everyone will enjoy
>>
>>81366157
Hey! We got Harley Quinn and isn't that the only clown girl you'll ever need?
>>
File: 1445557360564.jpg (116 KB, 619x421) Image search: [Google]
1445557360564.jpg
116 KB, 619x421
>>81366570
y-yeah, sure
>>
>>81366684
who is this? she is very cute
>>
File: bastard.jpg (67 KB, 391x363) Image search: [Google]
bastard.jpg
67 KB, 391x363
>>81367053
>A hopeless fanfiction writer loser
>Cute
>>
File: 1426269185372.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1426269185372.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
>>81367053
she's a respected author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Lives_of_High_School_Boys
>>
File: 1615636-dd_future_death.png (457 KB, 325x538) Image search: [Google]
1615636-dd_future_death.png
457 KB, 325x538
>>81366157
At least she went out with a bang.
>>
>>81364905
Doesn't the ending of that lead to young justice?
>>
>>81365067
>>81365355
that's not sailor moon it's symphnogear
>>
>>81365067

As long as it ends in reconciliation and lesbianish skinship between hot Tamaranean sisters.
>>
>>81365067
I burst out laughing at this part.
>>
>>81366548
Every time they try to make a new team, with new characters, the book gets cancelled. People just want to read the old stories they liked as kids.
>>
File: 1342841342734.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1342841342734.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
>>81365067
>dat ass squeeze when the skirt wraps around her
>>
>>81364876
Good post anon
>>
>>81366548
Next to nobody reads actual comics now, and nearly all are fans above of the age of 25 who have been reading them for years.
There are no "new readers" on a regular enough basis for them to contribute to sales, and many new readers who do start get scared off modern comics by the snails pace at which decompressed individual issues move and the low page count overall, with most comic books making well below the money they need to break average for production costs.

There's a lot of problems with the comics market these days, and the Big Two are actually hit hardest by them.
>>
>>81371739
Thanks.
>>
>>81365416
>>81365443
Who is Donna Troy is a story you either can't or shouldn't have to retell, it was only created to fix a retcon the Crisis caused.
>>
>>81371941
Mind you, these changes to the comics industry are actually most affecting the Big Two because they've been kind of unwilling to change with the times and still rate how successful a series is by the floppies which cost too much to make and nobody buys.
>>
Why kind of pleb doesn't want more hot spacedemon dad in their life?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.