[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Female Kryptonians
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: AH.png (1 MB, 895x896) Image search: [Google]
AH.png
1 MB, 895x896
Are there any female Kryptonians whose name doesn't end in "A"?
Lara, Ursa, Kara, Alura, Mala, Faora...

I know Super Girl had a female friend on Kandor but I can't remember her name. And the only exception I could think of was Lilo from All Star Superman.

Other than my question Lady Kryptonians thread. Let's talk about our favorite females from under a red sun.
>>
>>81348151
Why i there no Mala fanart?
>>
>>81348196
Scared of a woman with real strength.
>>
>>81348151

It's a common convention, yeah. Nothing wrong with that - male Kryptonians have one of their own in that their names are generally monosyllabic.
>>
>>81348151
Wow, I never noticed that.
>>
>>81348151
OP, do you know what a motif is? Look it up.

>>81348266
>Scared of a woman with real strength.
Maybe that's why I can't get /lit/ to discuss the Tortall books. Kel is best girl.
>>
Martha
>>
There's female Daxamites without -a (Laurel Gand) but I can't think of a female Kryptonian. Should we count Cir-El? What was the name of the woman Busiek created in the Third Kryptonian arc?
>>
>>81348268
Shit, you're right.
Got curious about Zod, turns out his first name is Dru.
>>
>>81348330
Also another point in favor of this being a trend is Thara Ak-Var (pre-Flashpoint Flamebird)
>>
>>81348151
>Super Girl had a female friend on Kandor
Yeah, her name was Thara.

Thara Ak-Var. Sounds like some jihadist Aloha Snack Bar shit.
>>
>>81348330
>Should we count Cir-El?

I thought about her but she wasn't really from Krypton and I've heard it mentioned enough times that Clark speaks Kryptonian like he learned it from a dictionary so I thought there was a chance he just didn't understand something culturally.
>>
>>81348330
>What was the name of the woman Busiek created in the Third Kryptonian arc?

Karsta Wor-Ul apparently.

I guess it's just a thing at this point
>>
>>81348151
>Faora is obviously Ursa
>Change the name anyways

Snyder and Goyer are so bizarre.
>>
>>81348522
He also named Mon-El because he was found on Monday so Clark definitely isn't the expert on Kryptonian naming conventions
>>
>>81348322
I can't help but like Alanna more. I know the earlier books were definitely not as well written and Kel is, in a lot of ways, more real than Alanna is, but Kel's more the kind of person you admire for her stoicism but you'd sit next to Alanna to watch her chew someone.

Also short redheads.

But FUCK Aly. God I hated her. Daine's okay.
>>
>>81348637
GEEZUS CLARK

I wonder if Clark would come off as like wigger Krptonian to actual Kryptonians.
>>
>>81348648
I haven't actually read Aly's books, but I hear a lot of tell that she faces virtually no challenge in her adventure. Which sucks because the refusal to pull punches is one of the reasons I like Pierce's writing.

And I can see where you're coming from with Alanna. I still love Kel though.
>>
>>81348616
Yeah why the hell would they use the character from the comics instead of Donner's OC
>>
>>81348322
Yo Tamora Pearce has been writing great fantasy literature for the last thirty years and she doesn't get enough props for that. And Kel is objectively bestest girl even if she is a total weeb.
>>
>>81348939
>Implying they didn't use Donner's OC

They got an actress who looks like Ursa, gave her a black wardrobe similar to Ursa, had her mannerisms exactly like Ursa's, and just changed the name like it somehow isn't Ursa.

You trolling right now, son?
>>
File: Karsta_Wor-Ul.jpg (52 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
Karsta_Wor-Ul.jpg
52 KB, 400x480
Never forget ex-space pirate grandma
>>
>>81348648
I liked Alanna more when you see her through other people's eyes as this fully formed living legend. Like Kel spends two whole books on basic knight training and it;s a struggle the whole way; Alanna beasts through that shit in like half a book, it was just not as compelling. Woman Who Rides Like A Man and Lioness Rampant were fantastic though, really handled the transition into darker material with way more grace than the likes of Harry Potter.

>>81348908
Aly's a bit of a smug bitch but she isn't unbearable. Her role is the puppetmaster behind the scenes, so there's lots of sabotage and court intrigue and politics. I found it an interesting change of pace but she's easily the weakest Tortall heroine. Beka was a nice return to basics.
>>
File: 1458306458930.jpg (73 KB, 750x1166) Image search: [Google]
1458306458930.jpg
73 KB, 750x1166
>>81349094
I'm not that guy But Faora was Zod's orignal side kick in the comics. You could definitely argue that the newer version might have been modeled physically on Ursa.

Although I didn't find their mannerisms that similar. Faora seemed much more colder and detached than Ursa.
>>
>>81349454
>Faora was Zod's original sidekick in the comics

Yeah, I know that. But MOS Faora was clearly a replica of Ursa with a name change.

>I didn't find their mannerisms that similar

How can you not? Ursa's whole thing was she was cold, insulting yet didn't talk a lot, and stoic. Faora was the exact same personality, only personified because Snyder has no character subtlety.

In short, if she was more like comic Faora, then name her Faora. But this Faora was obviously Ursa, so why even bother to change the name. That's like saying that big brute in MOS wasn't Non. That was clearly supposed to be Non, semantics be damned.
>>
>>81349322
I also enjoyed Alanna as a living legend. Really, one of the best parts of the post-Lioness books is seeing what the old characters are up to.

>Her role is the puppetmaster behind the scenes, so there's lots of sabotage and court intrigue and politics.
Sounds like Mistborn. Although, I didn't really care for Mistborn because of what I feel is a lack of consistent focus.
>>
>>81348908
Yeah, that's basically the issue I had with Aly. Even her biggest fuckup when one of her princesses elopes ends up in her favor without her doing anything because the other princess was a better match for the throne. I haven't reread the books in a while but I remember the first readthrough being intrigued because, like >>81349322 said, she's a puppeteer, and that immediately sets her apart from the other characters as straight soldiers or mages. Unfortunately, her attitude kept rubbing me the wrong way, and I don't really enjoy the puppeteer style character much, anyway.

>>81349322
I get what you mean. Alanna works better as a character when seen outside her own books, and I think that's due, in part, to the fact that Pierce had been writing for longer at that point. To be fair, though, the point of Kel's character is that she's the one being judged for her every move, she's the magic-less, known female-in-training, so of course her books are going to focus on her training whereas Alanna's training is secondary to the regicide plot and her establishment as a champion of the Goddess. She's got to be real flesh and blood, but she has been singled out by the gods as one of the people whose actions change the world, as Faithful told her, so at the same time she can't quite get bogged down in the nitty-gritty to the same extent that Kel will, since Kel is all about being normal (although her enormous size detracts from that a bit, since the average woman warrior would not take after her).
>>
>>81349724
Ursa talked all the damn time.
She talked about the space suits and the surface of earth when they landed in the lake, she talked about snakes and the law enforcement She talked to Lois, Almost everything she said were snide little jokes about how primative this planet was. Ursa obviously had a sadistic streak and enjoyed pushing people around.

Faora introduced herself said get on the ship with the girl then the evolution shit then the good death line. Other than that she was completely silent. And the whole time she was just kind of about business.
>>
>>81349952
ohh forgot, you're dead right about Non/Nam-Ek though >>81349724
>>
>>81349952
That amount of dialogue you presented wasn't more than a few minutes in a 90 minute movie. She had more dialogue only because the film had a better screen writer. She still had the exact same demeanor and coldness, but was simply more developed.

The differences you have cited haven't been due to character differentiation, they were the separation of a good movie and an incompetent one.
>>
>>81349933
Also I always felt that Pierce tended to neglect noble women besides main characters. I didn't feel like we got enough of Thayet and her pairing up with Jon was so absurdly neat it was annoying. Josaine was also left behind and relegated to "did it for the plot" tier.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.