[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Snyder interview on All-Star Batman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: allstarbatman.jpg (178 KB, 600x922) Image search: [Google]
allstarbatman.jpg
178 KB, 600x922
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/04/01/hitting-the-streets-scott-snyder-and-john-romita-jr-unite-for-all-star-batman

>What it came down to was that I realized I wanted to do a series called All-Star Batman that would invite all-star artists to work on some of the best characters in the world and kind of reinvent them within continuity for the Batman mythos. So I pitched him on a crazy Two-Face story

>The story takes them on the road. That’s one of the fun things that I pitched John on. If we do this story, how about we do it in a way we haven’t really seen before in Batman? I wanted to do a sort of grindhouse Death Race, Fugitive, Running Man, Defiant Ones, out-of-control story. Batman is completely out of his element, desperate to get Two-Face somewhere upstate, and just about every assassin in the DCU is hunting them at the same time. It’s really, really fun.

>We work really closely. We actually just had a Bat summit yesterday. We’re going to do some mini-Bat events down the line and we’re all going to co-plot them. We’re very entwined with each other in terms of the stories and the Bat mythos.

>But I really feel like the books each have a very different flavor. What Tom King is able to do in Batman now that it’s double shipping is a really fast-paced and muscular classic Batman. He’s in Gotham, fighting villains and protecting the city. What I’m doing on this is very different. I get to use all of the classic villains redone in a new way largely outside of Gotham. What James Tynion is doing [in Detective Comics] is dealing with all of the young characters training under Batman and Batwoman. It really is very tailored for all your different tastes. There’s a Bat book for everybody right now.
>>
>>81343225
>he's planning on "reinventing" a bunch of characters.
Goddammit Snyder. That worked out so great with Mr Freeze and Joker.
>>
>>81343225
Didn't he also say that this was going to feature an older Batman? I think he said it was going to be his The Dark Knight Returns.
>>
Shit batsuit right there.
>>
>
But the first arc is called “My Own Worst Enemy,” and it’s about 13 issues. The first part with John is about six issues. It might be packed into five with the last one being double-sized. Then we’re gonna do some one-shots and short stories, then we’re gonna do the finale with Sean. It’s almost like my Dark Knight Returns. It’s crazy, crazy “Old Man Logan” Batman who winds up coming back to the past. It’s really nutty, I can’t wait. Sean and I have been talking about it for a long time. All of it is in continuity, and secretly, it is all one big, operatic story where it’s asking you, “Who is the worst enemy?” And I think it will surprise people, cause in this one, it’s not the Joker. It’s someone where people will be like “What???” so I can’t wait.

Snyder thinking he can pull off a work on the level of TDKR.
>>
>>81343225
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USdJWY1F47w
That Batrang looks way too big
>>
>>81343225
Yet another sad attempt to "leave your mark" on a character that will outlive the current writer and still essentially be unchanged.

It's pathetic how much these guys need validation and the need to feel like somehow their comics runs will be remembered despite the obvious truth that barely anyone buys or even reads comics anymore.
>>
>>81344119
I have no problem with Snyder doing his own little elseworlds story. Could be good if he's allowed to just do his own thing.
>>81344284
Shit opinion.
>>
>>81344284
The belt is really ugly. Capullo fucked up on this one. It's awful because the JimBats costume was so great.
>>
>>81344426
The thing is plebs will be pointing to Snyder's run for a long while as being the best. They aren't going to like King's stuff at all.
>>
>>81344358
>it’s about 13 issues
Come on
>>
>>81344426
Yeah people should just stop trying to do different things and feed us our gray lukewarm slop so we can continue complaining about how shit is so stale these days.
>>
>>81345619
What would be the best batman run?
>>
>>81345820
You literally just described Snyder's run...
>>
>>81343623
There was nothing to reinvent in Mr Freeze. He's just some random thug with a sobby backstory.
>>
>>81345864
My favorite of all time is probably Morrison's 16 issues of Batman and Robin. But if you want good stories, then the majority of Legends of The Dark Knight, and writers like Dennis O'Neil, Alan Grant, Peter Milligan, Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, and Grant Morrison.
>>
>>81345820
No, see, the thing is groundbreaking runs should come naturally. When Moore started to write Swamp Thing he didn't hype it up as the "biggest Swamp Thing story ever"; when Morrison started his Doom Patrol run, he didn't claim it would be a paradigm shift in comic book history or anything like that. You don't hype your shit up claiming it'll be a gamechanger or whatever, you let your audience decide that. Chances are, Snyder's Batman run (both adjectiveless and All-Star) will be forgotten in the future, along with other overhyped Batman runs of the past. Sure, casuals will still flock to them but future writers will know what inspires them (O'Neil and Miller are referenced to this day) and what they don't care about.
>>
>>81344119
He specifically said that this would be his long Halloween, actually
>>
>>81345864
Because it was their first run for a bunch of casuals, and they'll always have nostalgia lenses for it
>>
>>81346123
This was in reply to >>81345619
>>
I get immense satisfaction from the fact that even court of the owls (the best thing to come out Snyder's run) has ended up to be Dick's villains!
>>
>>81346446
Well they almost ended up as Dick's to begin with, and it's not like they won't not harass Batman later
>>
>>81345866
Good thing i'm not talking about snyders run.
>>
>>81346446
They were always meant to be anyway. I wish he would've thought of it sooner so it could've been part of Black Mirror.
>>
>>81345996
You realize the only thing you are talking about is how something is advertised.

I don't believe Morrisons run on Doom Patrol or Moores run on Swamp thing came...naturally. I believe they made a concerted effort to write stories people would love and remember because thats the kinda shit they do.
Whether the hype is bad or not has doesn't change whether or not the story will be bad. And id rather have people TRYING to do something new and different (failure or not) regardless of how annoying people find how it is advertised these days.
But I was responding to a comment that they should stop trying to 'leave their mark' that ended with 'nobody reads comics anyways' which sounds pretty much like 'fuck it may as well give up and stop trying'.

So yeah hype is annoying...oh well i'm of clear enough mind not to let that shit tell me if something is good or bad one way or another. So i'll ignore the hype, read the story, judge it on it's own merits. And either way I will appreciate at the very least it was Snyder trying to do his own thing and write a different kind of story.
>>
>>81345956
>My favorite of all time is probably Morrison's 16 issues of Batman and Robin.
I dunno. Just find it funny. Because what you said about snyder is what i hear countless people say about Morrisons run.
How everyone overrates it as GOAT. Weird how that comes around.
>>
>>81345896
Snyder took away the one thing that made Fries more than just a crazy person.
>>
>>81345820
They aren't trying new things. They are trying the SAME new things people have been trying for the last thirty years.
>"Make a character their own."
>"A whole new spin on it."
>"Re-shuffling the status quo."
Maybe if they're REAL dating they'll add a new cast member who lasts as long as a cat's fart before being completely forgotten.
Or let's re-hash another story about Batman's early years of being Batman!
Or maybe a big thing where a Bat-family member dies? Surely no one's done THAT before!

The fact is, guys like Snyder just aren't good enough to leave an actual mark on the character and comics are too sparely read for anything to be memorable anymore so they do big dramatic meaningless shit that everyone forgets. So you do another big dramatic violence shocking thing like your favorite comics back as a kid.
Who gives a fuck. Alan Moore beat you to the punch thirty years ago and they are STILL talking about it, but you joined up in the market too late to make a real difference by trying that, I don't give a shit how much you liked Year One and the Killing Joke.
Right now most comics readers are a fraction of fraction of how many people used to read comics, and more superhero fans are influenced by animated cartoons they saw as kids and films rather then floppies they didn't buy and were never planning to buy in the first place because nobody reads these things anymore and twenty years ago literally every single ongoing modern comic on the market would be canceled for selling too few issues.

The guys writing comics NOW are people who think writing comics now us like writing comics decades ago in the 80's and 90's and failing to realize that time has changed the industry and they have to change WITH it or they'll be forgotten completely.
>>
>>81346083
There's a ridiculous fucking claim.
>>
>>81346952
Now people know just how shit the character is.

We should be thanking Snyder for that.
>>
>>81347233
Honestly sounds utterly defeatist to me.
'Someone already did unique shit before, don't bother trying cos the industry is dying'
>>
>>81347324
People won't even remember him in another decade, so we probably should; it'll make him feel better for having written such an utterly superfluous thing.
Like the years he spent working on Batman weren't completely wasted.
>>
>>81347374
The problem is Snyder isn't trying new shit, he's trying shit that's been done before because he liked that stuff when he was a comics reader.
And that's admirable in some ways, paying homage to your inspirations, but ultimately he'd just not good enough to make it work or make it worthwhile.

He's got to try something new. Actually new, something that he doesn't WANT to writer because he read something similar as a kid, some shit that goes way outside of the box he built for himself twenty years ago.
>>
>>81346861
There's a gigantic difference in writing quality between the two, like that's just an objective fact. Whichever one you actually ENJOY more is up to you.
>>
>>81343623
Godamnit (insert Scott or Zack as appropriate) Snyder!
>>
>>81345395
Except this is in continuity.
>>
>>81343623
>I just want the same boring shit ive already had a million times before instead of trying something new!
Kill urself
>>
>>81348673
All of Snyder's reinventions have been terrible and Two-Bad-Choices will be no exception.
>>
>>81348673
I'm find with reinventions, just not when they suck
>>
>Groundbreaking new series
>Supposed to have crazy great art
>Not using Rafael Albuquerque

Damnit.
>>
File: snyder ruining harvey.png (108 KB, 554x562) Image search: [Google]
snyder ruining harvey.png
108 KB, 554x562
>>81348769
>Two-Bad-Choices will be no exception
>>
>>81347470
Such as?
>>
>>81343623
Snyder had nothing to do with Joker cutting off his face, that was made in Detective Comics #1 (which he you know, didn't fucking write), and most likely was an editorial decision to make things "grittier" to better fit with Vertigo and Wildstorm characters.
Endgame is a proper Joker story with all that face nonsense retconned away.

Next time at least pretend that you read comics, it's embarassing.
>>
>>81348055
This is /co/. Only one of them is relavent here.
>>
>>81347378

>implying someone won't use Rebirth as an excuse to bring back classic Freeze
>>
Please explain to me how Romita Jr. is an all-star artist?
>>
>>81343225
I like the suit but what the fuck is up with that retarded batarang?
>>
>>81352214
I thought it was a bow until you said, batarang.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.