[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the characters in this show so mean spirited?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15
Why are the characters in this show so mean spirited?
>>
>>81340705
because its edgy. that's like, 80% of the show's identity.
>>
They're not. If anything, they're indifferent or nihilistic.
>>
>>81340705
You know I'd expect spergs like enter to bitch about this show for being mean-spirited but they all surprisingly like it
>>
>>81340705
Because it's Literally 4chan: The Animated Series.
>>
File: donttalk.jpg (26 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
donttalk.jpg
26 KB, 498x412
Because one of the main writers has sadbrains.
>>
>>81340705
only character that gets shat on is jerry and rightfully so
>>
>>81340705
Why are atheist characters written and drawn by atheists for atheists completely lacking in basic compassion and forgiveness?

Why is it that atheists can blame their own weaknesses on God while insistently holding everyone else to a god-like standard?

Why do atheists think the more hopeless and miserable you are, the smarter it must make you?

Why do atheists think giving up on the rest of the world and only caring about their own life makes them brave and courageous?

These are ALL very interesting questions . . .

But nobody knows the answer.
>>
File: tipfedora.gif (618 KB, 263x396) Image search: [Google]
tipfedora.gif
618 KB, 263x396
>>81344917
My magic fedora whispers the secrets of the universe to me.
>>
File: laughing daddy.png (15 KB, 74x253) Image search: [Google]
laughing daddy.png
15 KB, 74x253
>>81342363

>has sadbrains

I'm using this from now on.
>>
>>81344917
The smiths and rick come off more as agnostic to me
>>
>>81344987
That's a little demon you hear whispering.

You know how you can always tell?

Satan tells you the lies you want to hear most. God tells you the truth you're most afraid of.

Do the whisperings make you feel more afraid, or more arrogant?
>>
>>81340705
>I don't like this show
>Why?
>It's meme spirited
>>
>mean spirited
>edgy

every fucking buzzwords at every threads and every stupid autistic questions.
>>
>>81345047
>The smiths and rick come off more as agnostic to me

Rick curses God just as often as he denies Him.

It's a funny little thing with atheists, for people who claim not to believe in God, they can't shut up about Him, and not only do they talk about Him, they talk TO Him!

Atheists are always talking to God. They may do so mockingly, but even when they're all alone, all by themselves, they talk to God as if they know He's listening.

They don't ACTUALLY believe that all of creation got here totally randomly. They're just really mad at God, so they're giving Him the cold shoulder.
>>
File: princess.gif (978 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
princess.gif
978 KB, 500x375
>>81345322
>>
>>81345322
Even your name sounds like a naggy Christian mother
>>
>>81340705
Nah it's cynical and caters to young adults. I'd say teenagers but nah.
>>
File: Red-Pilled Face.png (67 KB, 249x241) Image search: [Google]
Red-Pilled Face.png
67 KB, 249x241
>>81345322
your post looks like the typical stereotype of the american fundamentalist christian.

Boooooh THE RAPTURE IS COMING BOOOOOOOHHH!!!
>>
Because it's funnier than them being mature, responsible, and reasonable.
>>
>>81345322
Oh god, with that response and this new layout...

I thought I was in the comment section of a shitty local newspaper with a story about a local religious monument being taken down.

>>81345102
Shut up Amanda. God isn't a yellow lantern.
>>
>>81345322
>It's a funny little thing with atheists, for people who claim not to believe in God, they can't shut up about Him, and not only do they talk about Him, they talk TO Him!

Kek, you talk like you have authority and think your making a point.

You remind me of the 90s and 2000 era christian fundies
>>
>>81345102
>Why are atheist characters written and drawn by atheists for atheists completely lacking in basic compassion and forgiveness?
Because most people genuinely don't deserve it.

>Why is it that atheists can blame their own weaknesses on God while insistently holding everyone else to a god-like standard?
What.

>Why do atheists think the more hopeless and miserable you are, the smarter it must make you?
Because it's the most obvious conclusion to come to, life is going to be mostly about suffering and kowtowing, why wouldn't that make you somewhat depressed?

>Why do atheists think giving up on the rest of the world and only caring about their own life makes them brave and courageous?
Considering the religious and political climate, telling someone that you don't care about/subscribe to their beliefs is very difficult to achieve with help, let alone on your own.

>>81344917
Oh shit you're baiting. Well I typed it up might as well reply.
>>
File: START. PUFFIN'. BOEH.gif (491 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
START. PUFFIN'. BOEH.gif
491 KB, 500x384
>>81340705
I don't think they are. That's how people are usually like in real life tbbqh with you my chum, my buddy, my familia
>>
>>81344917
>Why are atheist characters written and drawn by atheists for atheists completely lacking in basic compassion and forgiveness?
Because, as one, I can tell you, most of us are miserable, broken people who are rebelling against society.
They also tend to think that just because they've seen through a lie people tell themselves to cope with the ultimate despair of being aware of one's mortality that this makes them MASSIVELY more intelligent than those around them.
To the point that most of them then fall into Leftist Dogma, which seeks to destroy the future for hedonism in the present.

>Why is it that atheists can blame their own weaknesses on God while insistently holding everyone else to a god-like standard?
Hypocrisy is the human condition. Or, if it weren't for double-standards, we wouldn't have any.

>Why do atheists think the more hopeless and miserable you are, the smarter it must make you?
Because, that's what reality is. Or at least directly observable reality. Everything will wither and die, ultimately even the universe itself.
Though, this goes back to the first question, doesn't it.

>Why do atheists think giving up on the rest of the world and only caring about their own life makes them brave and courageous?
Because, they view the religious as codependent sheep, and they view themselves as the opposite of religious people, so they become sociopathic hedonists.
Some of the more intelligent examples try to find meaning in the incalculable chance that they even exist. And thereby seek to find experiences worth having.
>>
>>81353145
Dang Marty, that's some heady stuff.
>>
File: HankHill2.jpg (84 KB, 222x273) Image search: [Google]
HankHill2.jpg
84 KB, 222x273
>>81349978
It does take talented writing to pull something like that off.
>>
>>81353301
Honk was only ever Mature or Reasonable. And often neither.

Especially where propane was involved. There's work-ethic, and then there's your personal heaven being your ugly, bitchy wife being composed entirely of propane so that you can make love to your life's work within the bonds of holy matrimony.

He made a good straight man for Bill, Boomhower and Dale though...
>>
>>81340705
Because he thinks life is meaningless because he isn't the center of the universe
>>
Rick acknowledges The Devil, not a Devil. Not a demon nor using the phrase "the devil". He acknowledges him as The Devil, they even acknowledge the name Lucifer in the episode. With Satan there must be God, as it is a yin and yang deal here. I personally do not believe Rick is a Theist or Atheist, most likely Agnostic with a heavy dose of Atheist behind it: Agnostic Atheist. He acknowledges Gods arch enemy by title and the name Lucifer comes into play in the episode itself. He does speak to God for help in Season 2. Whether or not this is just a reactionary switch that went off because he thought he had the possibility of dying, shows that Rick is at least acknowledging that there could be a god up there. But with all the knowledge we have gotten from the show, it could be perhaps that God only exists in certain ones. C137 most likely has a God, Rick is just so full of himself because he considers himself better than the actual God that most likely exists in C137.

This being said the show is very heavily indicative of Atheist themes and acknowledgements, but the fact remains that there is some evidence to suggest that God or a god exists within the spectrum of dimensions inside Ricks portal gun. After all, Rick has said himself that every possible conclusion exists in a dimension, infinite possibility, infinite scenarios. This includes the Christian god, God and Jesus Christ.
>>
Because it's an edgy comedy
>>
File: UJ7GIWQ.png (4 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
UJ7GIWQ.png
4 KB, 80x80
>>81345322
>>
File: 1424709111606.jpg (104 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1424709111606.jpg
104 KB, 803x688
>mean-spirited
>>
>>81345047
This
They just dont care one or the other except maybe Rick who actively says fuck you God
>>
>Why are the characters in this show so mean spirited?

Because people suck morty
>>
File: 1453205792329.jpg (81 KB, 616x616) Image search: [Google]
1453205792329.jpg
81 KB, 616x616
>>81340705

Because everything in modern animation, and hell, most of fiction these days needs to be either depressing, edgy, violent, or mean spirited.

Comedy shows always have one or more main characters who's job it is to be a mean spirited douche nozzle to everyone else, with the joke being that they always get away with it.
See characters like Roger Smith, Rick, and 80% of characters on Family Guy.

Flamboyent over the top action series need to kill off half the cast by the time the series is over just because, usually starting with that one character everybody really liked and then letting it spiral out of control from there. This is especially prevalent in anime or anime inspired series, usually their death serving as little more than motivation for the main character.
Boy, this Kamina guy sure is awesome. I hope he's around for a good long while...Oh.
I really like this RWBY show. Pyrrha is my favorite...WELP.

In modern cape-shit, nobody is allowed to have a happy life anymore, much less a happy ending.
What? Spider-Man is happily married? Nah, no he's not.
What? Hulk finally found a place where he belongs after years of pain and suffering and has himself a hot alien wife? Nope.
Oh yay, Batman and Catwoman finally found happiness together except no wait they didn't.

And then of course in live action TV and books, where this is among the worst of it.
Two of the most popular shows on Television right now are Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Everything is literally just grimdark depressing shit where characters drop dead left and right.

Eventually you train yourself to not get attached to characters in anything new, because odds are most of them are going to die and die horribly if the subject matter is even slightly violent. Like we're being trained to feel indifference towards this shit in a fictional setting so that when we see murders and violence and death happening for real all over the news, there's less of a negative reaction from the public.
>>
>>81340838
>Reddit: the animated series.
ftfy
>>
>>81356049
(Cont)

The same thing applies to dicks like Rick.

If more and more characters in fiction start acting like dicks, your brain is being trained to just start associating more and more of the people around you with the same dick ass characters they share even the smallest similarities with.
Before you know it, you have an overall jaded world view.
So does everyone around you.

And then people just start to stop interacting with eachother more and more, eventually breaking off to form tiny, tight-knit social circles while totally avoiding everyone else. You retreat to your comfort zone because the worlds starts feeling more and more like shit. The feeling gets worse the more you watch shows like this and the older you get, but you don't even realize it's happening.

You're being programmed. Programmed to be apathetic towards others, programmed to be bitter and repellent towards other people, and programmed to be apathetic towards death and violence.

You're being slowly but surely programmed to stop caring.

Just. Like. Rick.
>>
>>81356049
>>81356241
Wow, I had no idea a few middle age neckbeards were plotting to kill the American spirit with a cartoon about science!

Thanks Kristie, you've really opened my eyes! Upvoted!

EDIT: Thanks for the gold, stranger!
>>
>>81356551

No, they aren't plotting to kill the American spirit with one show.
They've already been infected by the plot.
It's a snowball affect.

Group A creates a bunch of shows that cause the effect.
Group B watches those shows.
Group B eventually goes to make those shows themselves, because that's what they've been trained to enjoy over the course of their lives.
Group B creates a bunch of shows that cause the effect.
Group C watches those shows, etc.

And before long everyone just craves more of the depressing, soul draining shit that they keep being spoonfed because it eventually becomes the only thing they know. And then they digest that shit, and shit out more shit to feed to other people.
It doesn't end. It just repeats in a never ending cycle.
>>
>>81356754
>It doesn't end. It just repeats in a never ending cycle.
Did that sound okay when you typed it?
>>
The social culture in general has become edgier, less empathetic and more narcissistic. The show just caters to the average cunt.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-me-care/
>>
>>81356829
There's nothing wrong with that sentence
>>
File: edgy as fuk.jpg (266 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
edgy as fuk.jpg
266 KB, 1024x768
>>81352792
>>
I always wonder that about Archer. There aren't any jokes other than shitty riffs on dumb puns, half of the 'comedy' is just that they always fuck up and are assholes, and the constant screaming is just moronic.
>>
>>81340705
Nihilism.
>>
>>81340705
It's because their old.

Old people have more life experiences.

Life is a bitch, is putting it lightly.

Life is an utter joke and hell, but it's all we know so we cling to it, fear death yet wanting it at the same time, we waste times years and oppertunities and in old age we are filled with regret, pain and delusions to keep us going every morning but hindering us from our full potential.
>>
>>81360371
nigga you prolly 15.
>>
>>81340705
because being mean spirited and overly down on the maincharacters is a cheap and dirty way to make your show seem "real" and "mature"
>>
>>81349978
If only the show could be just that
>>
Because go back to your Steven Universe shit if you start cutting yourself anytime someone around you isn't crying about their feelings for 5 minutes.
>>
>>81357061
It repeats, though; it's redundant.
>>
>>81357694
I see this picture so often, but I contest that only the Shadow the Hedgehog one is actually edgy. the other two just look edgy due to design.
>>
>>81362931
>Donte 'fornicate thou' Sparda
not edgy
>>
>>81362983
Rampant stupidity does not qualify for edgy, but it is a warning sign. Dude ends up being more sympathetic than his dick head of a brother and that isn't by that much. Besides as far as edgy goes vulgarity ranks pretty damn low. Look at the Punisher or better yet Spawn for examples of edgy. you know what? Crossed, all of it, just all of it. That's edgy.
>>
>>81362555
Not him, but wouldn't the brief repetition be used for hammering in a point?
>>
>>81356213
Star vs Evil is reddit
>>
>>81356049
>Comedy shows always have one or more main characters who's job it is to be a mean spirited douche nozzle to everyone else, with the joke being that they always get away with it.

this is by no means a modern trend
>>
>>81363079
Not him, but a point should be self evident. If you have to hammer it in, it's not a good point.
>>
>>81363266
But clearly there's value in reaffirming a point?
>>
>>81340736
>edgy
of course when people don't run laughing like retard in neon coloured flower fields it's edgy and bad because t reminds you of your dad's belt.
>>
File: Boy.png (175 KB, 337x427) Image search: [Google]
Boy.png
175 KB, 337x427
>>81353011
Start
Puffing
Boy
>>
>>81363497
for /co/ every adult comedy show is edgy anyway, and they takes random dumb gags seriously.

/co/ needs feelings and characters acting on a good way everytimes, also /co/ needs talking shit about the villain, not because it's a bad character but because he did bad things.

it's like /co/ are all innocent pansy kids who doesn't know the reality.
>>
>>81365972
>it's like /co/ are all innocent pansy kids who doesn't know the reality.
*tips*
>>
this video has a few good points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E
>>
File: 1450221810610.jpg (97 KB, 1157x772) Image search: [Google]
1450221810610.jpg
97 KB, 1157x772
>>81344917
>the first woman on Earth cuckolds God with Adam
>Satan convinces Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge so they find out how much of a beta God is
>they leave the garden out of embarrassment
>God tells himself "heh, I s-sure kicked them out!"
>gets his revenge generations later by planting his celestial seed in a man's wife
>"N-now you have to worship him!"
>makes humans write a book about how he's super great and Satan is a big meanie
>people worship this beta in 2015BC + 4030
>>
>>81340705
Because anyone who isn't a dick is a pussy. And this...warped generation will always take a dick over a pussy.
>>
>>81344917

Takes better bait to catch this fish
>>
>>81363497
Pretty sure these people complaining about mean spirited characters never had a belt to them, like ever.

Seriously is this a new meme?
>>
>>81342363
I thought both Harmon and Roiland were down but Roiland in more of a hip/artistic way. He's definitely the nihlistic one at least.
>>
>>81340705
The existentialist nature of the show creates scripts were "life or death" is common allowing characters to be extremists or in danger at all times. Also humor.
>>
>>81340705
Because they're miserable and more often than not visisbly miserable people go off the handle at others especially when they are direct results or causes of that misery. It's usually taken lightly in the show because it's a comedy.
>>81345322
Is that you, profressor from early-2000's copypasta/God's Not Dead?
>>81353145
>most of us are miserable, broken people
I thought that was just me?
>who are rebelling against society
Nah. I despise our society and have no respect for almost anybody in it but I'm not actively rebelling outside of living the life I'd want to regardless.
>>81353568
Life IS meaningless. Realizing that doesn't automatically turn you into an asshole.
>>81356049
>Comedy shows always have one or more main characters who's job it is to be a mean spirited douche nozzle to everyone else
This isn't new. It's just it's been ramped up in recent years because we have adult cartoons over here now as opposed to adult live-action comedies.
>In modern cape-shit, nobody is allowed to have a happy life anymore, much less a happy ending.
Because if they did then the story would be over and they need it to continue forever theoretically.
>>81356241
projection.jpg
>>
>>81340705
Because that's real life, bro!
>>
>>81340705

look at this, might explain a little

/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E
>>
>>81370038
>Nah. I despise our society and have no respect for almost anybody in it but I'm not actively rebelling outside of living the life I'd want to regardless.
That's about as low grade as rebellion gets.

Especially since our society is already an extremely individualistic one.
>>
>>81363188

star vs evil stars a young teenage girl and referenced tentacle porn. Sounds more 4chan than reddit to me
>>
>>81373568
I said I'm not really rebelling just that most people would not like or consider my life or preferences or activities very favorably.
>>
>>81363027

How is Shadow edgy then? He sacrifices his life to save humanity. Prior to that he was no more edgy than a typical "just as planned" Saturday morning cartoon villain. Even before his turn they gave him a soft spot for women in distress. That's pretty un-edgy there.
>>
>>81344917

religiousfags are actually the edgemasters since they worship a guy who sends you to the toture dimension if you don't spend your life in his service

Christian God is about as forgiving and compassionate as the evil overlords in cartoons who kill their henchman for disappointing them
>>
>>81373689
That's what I mean.

Any low on the rebellion scale, and you'd be on the conforming side.

It's like 0-100, you're at 0.1
>>
>>81373871
Right but I'm not actually rebelling. I'm not trying to show disdain or change society. I just don't care. I'd probably be 0.01 if there was a scale.
>>
>>81340705
a lot of them aren't though.

Rick mostly just wants to fuck around and have a good time...just to bad he's a manic depressive.
>>
speaking of characters why does everyone here have a fuckin name
>>
>>81376161
>he still posts anonymously
>current year
>>
Why is everyone in this thread a namefag?
>>
File: laughingeverything.png (385 KB, 368x447) Image search: [Google]
laughingeverything.png
385 KB, 368x447
>>81377627
>he still doesn't post with his real name
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.