[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have a choice: A superhero movie full of quips Or a superhero
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_o3u1wrm6Xq1v1yn5lo1_1280.jpg (474 KB, 1280x1493) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3u1wrm6Xq1v1yn5lo1_1280.jpg
474 KB, 1280x1493
You have a choice:

A superhero movie full of quips

Or a superhero movie full of pretentious 2deep4u one-liners
>>
>>81292594
Christ, can't I just have one that has a good balance of story and dialogue that doesn't treat itself too seriously without forgetting to have stakes and levity?

Why the fuck can't Marvel or DC do this?
>>
>>81292936
Days of Future Past?
>>
>>81292936
Iron Man and Cap 2 balanced serious with humor and levity pretty well.
>>
>>81292936
too much money at stake, too much trust in recent statistics to inform future developments
>>
>>81292936
>What is Hellboy.
>>
>>81292594
Give me content and depth over jokes every day.
>>
>>81292989
Reading skills.
>>
>>81293068
>You're right but I'm offended.
>>
>>81293098
>Marvel and DC
>>
>>81292594
Option 1 any day. If I want deep I don't watch Hollywood blockbusters, let alone capes.
>>
A balance of both is good, but here's the thing since this is clearly a thinly veiled console wars thread

Marvel is way too much about making "family" films, they will never take any risk or make anything the least bit "adult" because they want that Disney money....this is bad because outside of hardcore flag wavers who will accept anything, this results in very on the fence movies that don't know if they want to be action, comedy, romance, but try to engage everybody without being honest...there is room for all of that, but not all at once all the time, they want to engage young adult males with action but can't go too far because it will alienate girls, they want to engage girls but can't go too far because it will alienate boys, they want to be taken seriously but also want little kids to like it, it results in stagnant films that are completely on the fence, giving a little to all but all to none

DC movies tend to take themselves a bit too seriously, they aim to be the most epic, the most serious, the most dark, and really that shouldn't be an aim to begin with...it should just come naturally as it would and could, if they didn't try so hard to achieve that status. I still think the 89 Batman was literally perfect, it was cartoonish and funny but it didn't try NOT to be, it embraced it was about comics and still is a movie that can be enjoyed by any adult. They seem to try too hard a bit these days.
>>
>>81292594
The later
>>
>>81292594
So my options are a movie full of quips or a movie full of smart quips?

Smart quips I guess
>>
So our choices are, a movie that's trying to entertain us or a movie that's trying to entertain itself?

How is that even a choice? You pick the one trying to entertain you.

Francis Ford Coppola said it best.

"Nothing is so terrible as a pretentious movie. I mean a movie that aspires for something really terrific and doesn't pull it off is shit. It's scum, and everyone will walk on it as such."
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.