[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw there are people who honestly don't realise Watchmen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 11
File: 1351794559875.jpg (28 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1351794559875.jpg
28 KB, 500x400
>mfw there are people who honestly don't realise Watchmen is the GOAT comic book movie
>>
>>81290948
it's not though, Sin City is
>>
It really isn't, because they tried making it cool, when the entire point of Watchmen was that these people aren't cool.
>>
Someone I follow put it well:
Watchmen is a good movie, but it is not a good adaptation.
Snyder obviously admires Watchmen, but he doesn't get the point of Watchmen.
>>
>>81290948

>several interconnected music videos with some dialogue in between is the GOAT comic book movie

nah

the nolan trilogy, deadpool and kickass are among the most watchable
>>
>>81290948
It's okay.
>>
>>81291183
Snyder doesn't really seem to get the point of stuff beyond the superficial bits. Which kind of explains his obsession with visuals over actual substance.
>>
>>81290948
It's not even in the top 20.

This is what it has going for it:
>great costumes
>some excellent, memorable casting choices
>a really poor choice for source material to adapt to film
>an idiot director

That's it. That's what Watchmen (the movie) is. And there's not a lot to talk about beyond bitching over Doctor Manhattan as always, because Snyder doesn't do anything else with the material. It's a panel-for-panel copy of the comic book. His ONE significant creative change is the single most controversial thing about it ffs.

Everyone has their own GOAT film, but I think most people can agree that Sin City, Hellboy, and Spider-man 2 are all floating around the top 10.
>>
does The 5th Element count as an El Incal adaptation?
>>
>>81291150
This.

One of the major points of Watchmen is that all the heroes are pretty shabby. Hooded Justice (I think) was inspired by Superman, but none of them ever really came close to Superman or Batman or whomever. They were all gnawed at by their own insecurities and failings, and more than that, they were all just weak people in bad costumes.

Then Dr. Manhattan showed up and made them look even more ridiculous.
>>
>>81291150
Moore should have done a better job conveying that in his comic then
>>
>>81291220
>the nolan trilogy
A third of it anyway.
>>
>>81291286
I'm sorry retards don't understand things.
>>
>>81291286
He did. Nite Owl in particular is a fat dumpy loser, and Moore makes it clear that he's wasting all his money trying to be a cape.
The Snyder version, on the other hand, is Bear Mode Batman, that has enough kung fu ability to shatter a ribcage in one punch.
>>
>>81291268
No, but it IS meant to be a comic book film of sorts; the entire thing is highly reminecent of the sorts of scifi anthology comics common in Europe, which Luc Besson himself admits in the DVD commentary.
Bruce Willis' character is strongly based off a similar character in one short in 2000AD.
>>
I like how most of us disliked Reimi's Spider Man movies when they came out but now, after the capeshit explosion, we have been forced to re-evaluate them and they hold up better than 85% of the new stuff
>>
shut the fuck up snyder
>>
>>81291286
>fat fuck who cant get it up
>cool

hrm
>>
>>81290948
The more time passes the more I realize how bad it is, I remember really liking it when it first came out and rewatching the extended edition sometime later and really finding it unpleasant. It does a lot of things right, but it does way more things wrong, your pic is a good example of that, also the lack of a giant Squid is a pretty severe charge.
>>
>>81291355
No, they still suck
>>
My 11yo brother thinks Scott Pilgrim is the best comic book movie of all time, and one of the best films of all time as well.

I gave him the first vol of the graphic novel as a christmas present but he never finished it because it was "too text heavy" and looks "outdated"

this is the generation that is driving market forces
>>
>>81291399
It's Snydervision. Now that you've been exposed to more flicks that he's directed you're seeing things with a whole new grasp on mediocrity.
>>
>>81291499
>>81291499

I'd like to watch a Snyder live action The Simpsons adaptation just to see how far he takes the Bart/Jesus analogies
>>
>>81291330
Yeah, I actually watched the movie before I read the comic and Nite Owl was the one who baffled me the most.
>>
>>81290948
>Watchmen is the GOAT comic book movie
Nope, that would be Road to Perdition
>>
>>81291220
>el trilogio nolanez

Bullshit lad
>horribly choreographed fight scenes
>all the villains are horribly underused
>except the Joker who's a 3edgy5me angsty lunatic who wouldn't stop Nietzsche-ing it up
>the 2nd was a convoluted mess
>the 3rd is only remembered for the maymays
>Batman's voice
>those moralfag questions nolano works into the films at the cost of logic, plot, character, etc.
>that 3rd one's final battle

>Kickass
This has to be a b9-1

>deadpool
I'm OK with this.
>>
A History of Violence is the best followed by Road to Perdition

don't be dumb

who Ghost World up in here?
>>
>>81291330
imagine if they had went with that approach in the relaunch

the entire supporting cast just fucking sucks donkey dick all day

boring as shit

id read it
for a few issues
>>
>>81292356
There's also Oldboy lad. But yes, these are the GOATs
>>
>>81291355
Fuck off, Raimi's Spider-Man is what made me read comics in the first place. My first comics were a reprint of ASM #39 and volume 3 of Ultimate Spider-Man. Raimi's movies have always been dear to me.
>>
>>81292385
>Oldboy
manga isn't /co/
>>
>>81290948
thought that suit had goggles, were his eyes just exposed?
>>
>>81292404
You were how old? I liked the Rambo films when I was little that doesn't mean they hold up(besides the 1st one). Nostalgia glasses off you wanker
>>
Nah. It has the most on-screen accuracy to the source material probably of any comic book movie, sure. But it still manages to completely miss the point of Watchmen.

That's how most of Snyder's movies are. It's like he looks at the art and replicates it perfectly to screen but doesn't understand what message those scenes are trying to convey.
>>
>>81292418
I don't know why, I thought it was a Korean comic book. Right. Then right you are, HoV>RtP>GW
>>
>>81292442
Did he do the same with 300?
>>
i mean.... why are we blaming snyder here? he didnt fucking write the film

he just directed someone elses ideas

an accodring to everything i read
he did a damn good job because everyone loves how it looks

if you want to get mad at anyone for the watchmen being written wrong
blame the guy who played the voice of solid snake

i believe he wrote the script
>>
>>81291355
>I like how most of us disliked Reimi's Spider Man movies when they came out
who the fuck are you talking about?
The only one people disliked from jump street in huge numbers was 3. And most people still hate 3.

But 1 and 2 i don't recall most folks hating at all. Particularly 2.
>>
>>81291355
>most of us disliked Reimi's Spider Man movies when they came out but

Spider-Man 3, sure
>>
>>81292429
>this faggot again every time someone mentions Raimi's trilogy in a positive light
Like a clockwork.
>>
>>81292458
Can't be fucked to look it up, I saw it 9 years ago, promptly forgot about it, never watched it since, and will never rewatch. The book itself looked stupid as fuck, especially when you look at historic accounts of the era(Thucydides especially) who are consistently good when translated well. It's one of those "murrigan jewcation" fucking garbage books that I never managed to read til the end.
>>
>>81292462
You're right, let's go kick Kiefer Sutherland in the nuts
>>
>>81292508
Wha? I got nothing against it, I just think it's not that good. I have no idea who you're confusing me with lad.
>>
>>81292462
Let me paint a picture here for you.
Someone writes a screenplay in which a young woman overcomes a brutal rape. Its horrifying but she finds a way to overcome the emotional and psychological damage to uh....i dunno....become a championship boxer. And its a great story with well written characters and a heartwarming ending.

And then a director says to the girl on set about to do the rape scene 'make sure you moan like you like it. I want it to be sexy because people like sexy'.
and then he ads slomo and lens flair and moan effects because he thinks that shit looks cool and he wants this rape scene to be as smoking hot as possible.
Then the fight at the end which normally takes up a few pages in the script he dedicates ten entire minutes to with lots of slo-mo into speed-up back into slo-mo. and the young girl overcoming her fears and defeating her opponent is entirely lost in this wash of grotesque shallow effects driven nonsense.

Would you go 'don't blame the director....he didn't make write the story'.

That is Zack Snyder.
>>
>>81292355
Man, I still can't understand what anyone sees in that version of Joker.
He's not scary despite the movie trying to play him up as a monster in human form like Anton Chigurh, he only seems like a threat because of plot armor and because everyone else is a huge idiot, his dialogue is shit and he has all the depth and charm of a small puddle. I really don't understand why he's "the best villain ever" according to so many people.
>>
>>81292536

>And then a director says to the girl on set about to do the rape scene 'make sure you moan like you like it. I want it to be sexy because people like sexy'.
>and then he ads slomo and lens flair and moan effects because he thinks that shit looks cool and he wants this rape scene to be as smoking hot as possible.

Sounds hot.
>>
>>81292521
I apologize, then.
I think I got a bit paranoid after some run-ins with a guy who just has to appear in almost every Raimi's trilogy thread and make it about how much he hates and how casual everyone who likes it is.
>>
>>81292536
alright you win
fuck snyder
>>
>>81292521
he's confusing you for me, I'm the guy who shits on the raimi trilogy every chance I get
>>
>>81291286
I'm sorry that you're intelligence is below average.
>>
>>81292536
Exactly. The crypt was fine, if not almost perfect. Zach Snyder's obession with sleekness, backflips, blood, and sexiness killed the entire thing. Hell, the changes seemed almost entirely to make it even more violent (minus the ending, which made no real sense but eh). Hell, changing Rorschach's first kill ruined a crucial element to his character, and all I could think was that it was altered for more blood.
>>
When are they making boards specifically for capeshit live media? Because I'm sick of this shit ruining /co/.
>>
>>81292560
Because they've never seen a good movie villain before it.

>anton chigurh
A smart man written by another smart man. And directed by a great pair of directors. Portrayed by a great actor. It was a perfect combo

>plot armor
So evil Batman right?

>scary
Seemed to walk the line between goofy and edgy. Which I'd like in a movie that does not think of itself as being the end-all comic book film or being the most pretentious shit you'll ever see outside arthouse cinema.
>>
>>81291468
you're faggot brother doesnt reflect the world
>>
>>81292429
>Implying First Blood isn't great

Contrarian tool detected.
>>
>>81292418
its a fucking comic dumbass
>>
>>81292619
Why do you do that tho? Are you trying to maymay those movies out of existence? I mean yeah, they're all kinds of silly and sometimes even bad, but why would you hate them?
>>
>>81292649
>reading comprehension

I actually implied it was great. Especially if they went with the original downer ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKsJLLaDA-k
>>
>>81292657
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons
Images and discussion should pertain to media of Western origin.
>>
>>81291355
1 and 2 were well recieved when they premiered, but 3 was a huge mess.
>>
>>81292657
Might as well throw GitS and Appleseed in there.
>>
>>81292692
so what its still a book with picture panels and word balloons, so when someone says its a good adaption its a good adaption, please dont tell me you think there's a difference between anime an cartoons.
>>
>>81292729
Anime is for girls and gays
>>
>>81292560
if you think the joker is supposed to be scary you are masively misunderstanding what point of the char. hint: nothing in the nolanverse is scary or meant to be

>>81292355

the fact that the nolan movies didn't appeal to people who care about choreography, fidelity to the DCU chars or compromised the director's vision to please comic book fans (and never pretended it would) is what make them good for me

and kickass was excellent for adapted capeshit with minimal worldbuilding or char development
>>
>>81292762
straight boys have shit taste. they like football and cod
>>
>>81292356
>History of Violence

its a very loose adaptation. feels more like its own thing
>>
>>81292816
those pertain to
>>>/sp/
and
>>>/v/
just like manga is on
>>>/a/
>>
>>81292806
> who care about choreography, fidelity to the DCU chars[...]is what make them good for me

Fuck off then you piece of shit. These are things that matter. Especially the choreography in a fucking action flick, Jesus Christ lad

>kickass
It's literally the worst capeshit. Literally worse than Catwoman and fuckin' GL. At least you can laugh at those, this is just garbage
>>
>>81292806
A comic book movie should appeal to people who care about the source material. If you're not gonna bother with that make your own original movie concept.
>>
>>81292806
It's not like the movie is actively trying to pretend he's an unstoppable force of nature.
Oh wait!
>>
>>81292879
Well he got stopped, didn't he?
>>
>>81292896
Like anyone with a half-working brain ever doubted that. That last scene was fucking shit tho. The worst in the entire film.
>>
>>81292841
>Fuck off then you piece of shit. These are things that matter. Especially the choreography in a fucking action flick, Jesus Christ lad

>nolan's batman is about the fights

its a knights cheesy tale with action scenes. not an action move featuring a knights. even snyder got this in BvS when he made bruce's parents watch Excalibur before they got killed.

>kickass the worse capeshit

literally your very own personal opinion

it was well received and stacked up decently in the cape department on a time where Chronicle and Super had also just came out, both excellent original capeshits

>>81292873
the success of those movies was largely a product of only loosely following the comic book canon.

>why bother if you arent gonna copy the source material verbatim?

because its a reboot of franchise that rebooted the live action Batman already. all those stories have been told. reboots of a reboot calls for some innovation
>>
>>81292896
So do many villains.
Doesn't change the fact that just because they're supposed to be in the wrong and/or stopped, they're not also supposed to be intimidating. And intimidating is what movie obviously wanted Joker to be, yet even Harvey Dent in whatever little screen-time he had as Two-Face was far more menacing than Ledger in the entire movie.
>>
>>81290948
as a movie itself? It's great and I really enjoyed it.

But as an adaption, I don't think so. I watched the movie before I read the comic and thought it was fantastic, but after reading the comic I realised that despite the panel for panel recreation (almost), the tone/themes/nuances weren't faithful to the comic.

I used to see people on /co/ bitch about how it isn't the same tonally and I thought they were being whiny babies, but I see what they mean now.
>>
>>81292923
I know that word gets overused, but when Batman started lecturing Joker on people believing in good it was so cringeworthy. A scene like that would've been fine in Raimi's movies because their tone allows to have something like that, but with TDK's tone it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Ferry scene was supposed to be suspenseful, but the dialogue and the fact that everyone stands with a straight face and reads their lines in a dull voice instead of panicking like real people would do killed everything.
>>
>>81292933
>yet even Harvey Dent in whatever little screen-time he had as Two-Face was far more menacing than Ledger in the entire movie.

Are you serious? Two Face came across as just some amateur with a gun. I mean Joker may have been just an amateur with plot armor, but that scene where he had recruits fight to the death for the right to join him cemented him as more of a threat than anything Dent could do. And the fact that he was willing to strap explosives to himself made him way more dangerous.
>>
>>81292929
>reboots of a reboot calls for some innovation
Can the innovation of the next reboot be an actual accurate adaptation? One where Batman doesn't kill anyone, maybe?
>>
>>81292995
>Batman
>not killing
faggot
>>
>>81292995
>Can the innovation of the next reboot be an actual accurate adaptation?

You don't bring Nolan or any other filmmaker who is known to have a particular personal vision for his projects, to do a comic book adaptation that you want to be faithful to the source material.

If you want fitfulness bring someone who fully compromises with the studio to do whatever they ask of him. Dunno what you expected the moment you knew Batman was a Nolan reboot.
>>
>>81293043
I'm not just talking about Nolan. I'm talking about the fact that we've yet to have a good, accurate, non-killing Batman film series under any director.
>>
>>81291183
>but he doesn't get the point of Watchmen.

What IS the point of Watchmen?
>>
>>81292991
Eckhart's rage was believable to me and he really felt like someone who'd kill you on a coin toss.

Ledger was just dull.
>>
>>81293058
superheroes are a shit
>>
>>81293043
>
If you want fitfulness bring someone who fully compromises with the studio to do whatever they ask of him

How about instead, someone who is interested in bringing comics to screen? Like Snyder without the brain damage? Or, shit, Ryan Reynolds apparently
>>
>>81291259
>It's a panel-for-panel copy of the comic book.
Why do people keep saying that? It really isn't. They cut out the stuff implying Rorscach was gay, Manhattan doesn't come back to give humanity another chance but because he wants to tap dat ass again, they took out the fucking Black Freighter, which you would think would mean they were trying to make it more ambiguous about whether he was right or not, but they just replace it with Nite Owl watching Rorscach being killed and then screaming about how wrong Adrian's plan is.

Like, the basic structure and plot is all the same, but what made Watchmen so fantastic was the way it packed so much symbolism into every panel and all of that is completely glossed over.
>>
>>81293081

Then Snyder did get it n the movie
>>
>>81293074
The fact that he had to toss a coon first made him way less threatening. Also the fact that you knew he was just some white collar pretty boy who never shot someone ever.

He was just throwing a tantrum over his waifu. pathetic.
>>
>>81293054
>a good, accurate, non-killing Batman film series

Lol when fans want Batman to be toothless
>>
>>81293082
>Or, shit, Ryan Reynolds apparently

Because he liked the char, and the people who wrote it actually knew it pretty fucking well, being also fans of it.

We may be getting close to a time where filmmakers know certain comics chars well enough to pull this off and it would be interesting to see what happens when someone who gives a shit is put in charge of say, Batman or Wonder Woman. But right now most people making movies just see comics as a marketable IP ready to be milked dry so they hire directors/writers who are known to be skilled at doing their job, yet not very familiar with the source material
>>
>>81290948
The Avengers is definitely the number 1, Joss Whedon was born to make comic book films
>>
>>81293084
that's all the Black Freighter was
just Moore adding something to the story saying "btw Adrien is evil'
>>
>>81293153
please say your kidding, not only is that a terrible movie but whedon has managed to damage the characters (Bar Iron Man) to such an extent they're not even seen as characters anymore.
>>
>>81293104
Still less pathetic than an overgrown angsty teen wanting to be an ubermensch.

And no matter how horrifying in theory Joker's actions are, the movie just failed to sell that he's a dangerous sociopath. Even Die Hard did it better than with Gruber than TDK did Ledger.
>>
>>81293156
Black Freighter was the only bit of the comic i liked
>>
>>81293178
Cap is still good

But yeah that guy was obviously rusing. I don't know how you can not see it.
>>
>>81293178
>whedon has managed to damage the characters (Bar Iron Man) to such an extent they're not even seen as characters anymore.

you are blaming whedon for a problem with the source material

if anything he kinda salvaged them, along with the lucky casting choices
>>
>>81293104

>Also the fact that you knew he was just some white collar pretty boy

Yeah, you really get that impression from the scene where a dude unexpectedly pulls a gun on Dent and his first reaction is to grab the gun, punch the dude in the face, and then dismantle the gun without missing a beat
>>
>>81291286
Rorschach is your favorite isn't he?
>>
>>81290948

which batman is that?
>>
>>81293186
> Still less pathetic than an overgrown angsty teen wanting to be an ubermensch.

Wrong, nothing is more pathetic tham throwing a tantrum because you lost something. I just want you to understand something, I have no interest in defending Ledger's Joker here. I'm only replying because you claimed that Eckhart's two-face is even the sightest bit threatening.

But since you have to force the comparison, Joker is both more threatening and more competent than two face in that movie in every way. Just watch the scene of them together in the hospital to see the full story. Dent spends the entire time impotently lashing out because his fee-fees are hurt, while Joker calmly remains in control the entire time. You're comparing an overhyped villain to a literal child who needed a time out.
>>
>>81293219
>his first reaction

He hesitates. A lot. If the gun worked he'd be dead. Dude squeezes the trigger like 4 or 5 times before Dent does anything.
>>
>>81293230
nah. His psychiatrist was alright though.
>>
File: watchmen002.jpg (385 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
watchmen002.jpg
385 KB, 800x500
it may or not may not be a good adaptation, but as a movie by itself I think it's amazing
>>
>>81293250
I want YOU to understand something. Just because you write your villain as a shitty overcompetent Hannibal Lecter rip-off doesn't make them inherently threatening. I don't care how "in control" he's supposed to be, because it never fucking feels believable.
This is what a villain who's in control like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giVzxyoclE
movie being overrated aside.
Ledger would never sell it that well.

And Joker is a definition of a literal child, even much more so than Two-Face. Snapping because of losing someone is far less pathetic than WAHH SOCIETY SUCKS I HATE EVERYONE
>>
>>81291183
yes, yes, yes. same reason why the people who I watched it with loved it and I didn't. I read it first. good movie, bad adaption.
>>
File: 855[2].png (484 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
855[2].png
484 KB, 582x600
>>81291286
>snyderfags
>capable of understanding subtlety
>>
>>81293366
You keep acting like I'm trying to claim the Joker is a good villain. I'm not. He's just infinitely less pathetic than a little boy throwing tantrums.

Ledger didn't need to "sell" being in control. Two Face was so busy acting like a spoiled toddler the wallpaper was in more control than he was.

>Snapping because of losing someone is far less pathetic than WAHH SOCIETY SUCKS I HATE EVERYONE

Joker's position may have been childish but at least it wasn't purely based on his momentary feelings. At least he had a solid position and didn't suddenly change his mind when he didn't get his way.
You know, people claim the Joker in this movie doesn't make jokes. Those people are wrong. The Joker made Two-Face, otherwise known as the biggest joke in the film.
>>
Only the Directors Cut was
>>
>>81291355
>most of us disliked Reimi's Spider Man movies when they came out but now

Disliking Reimi Spiderman 2 which is probably one of the best cape movies. And the first one + Xmen 1 pretty much revived the whole cape genre.
>>
>>81293408
I want to see Snyder tackling other genres

I want to see him making a Jesus film to see how he smuggles superman iconography into it

I want to see him making a dark a and gritty noir Marmaduke remake with slowmo frisbee chasing scenes.
>>
>>81291355
Raimi's Spiderman Trilogy is the only Spiderman shit I care about
>>
>>81293443
>Marmaduke v Heathcliff

FUND IT
>>
>>81293443
I want Snyder to make another Halloween remake because I'm curious to see how much Satanic symbolism he'd fill Michael Myers with.
>>
Just pointing, Dredd is the best comic book movie adaptation ever.
>>
>>81293446
please politely remove yourself from every conversation that even mentions Spider-Man.
>>
File: 1454816797825.jpg (142 KB, 500x449) Image search: [Google]
1454816797825.jpg
142 KB, 500x449
>>81293441
>one of the best cape movies
>>
>>81293483
This and the Hellboy films are the top tier adaptations
Snyderfilms are shit movies and shit adaptations
MCU is a mixed bag on both accounts.
>>
>>81293240
Earth 3 Batman
>>
>>81293434
Alright, at least we agree Nolan's Joker is not that great of a villain.
>>
>>81293462

At least it can't be worst then the Rob Zombie ones.
>>
>>81293523
i think that if Rob didn't need to cast all of his friends and his wife on most of the stuff he makes, he would already be known as a pretty solid director
>>
Watchman had GOAT costumes. Try and name one that is as good. New supes is great too.
>>
>>81291150
I read the comic 10 years ago and I reread it almost every year and I've never picked up on this. Truly, this book is 2deep4me. Evafags, eat your heart out.
>>
>>81291281
Nite Owl I is the superman fan, by far the best hero in the whole thing although still with a fair few fuck ups
>>
File: hellboy-trio.jpg (52 KB, 700x300) Image search: [Google]
hellboy-trio.jpg
52 KB, 700x300
>>81293542
>Try and name one that is as good.

Hey there
>>
>>81293563
that girl ruined the movie for me

her acting is daytime soap-like
>>
>>81293563
had that been any other director instead of del toro, it would not have looked as good.
>>
>>81293579
>>81293588
Doesn't change the fact that its costumes are GOAT, and its a good adaptation.
>>
>>81293523
How do you screw Halloween up like that anyway?
Giving Michael a sympathetic backstory I get. I don't approve it because I like the unstoppable force of nature with no rhyme or reason so much, but I get why it's done.
Trying something new with the franchise I get too.

But why is this "new" making everyone so unlikable you don't fear Michael and root for him to kill some more of those assholes instead?
One of the reasons Halloween worked because people in Haddonfield were mostly peaceful like many real towns, so contrast of having an unstoppable killer with no conscience or sense of right and wrong running around a town like that added to the horror. Here Michael is one of the most likable characters due to not being a massive dickhead (if you can ignore him being a serial killer).
>>
>>81293627
Its a problem with a lot of Horror these days.

Directors and target audience are sadistic masochist who just want to watch people die horribly. The monster is the hero.
>>
>>81293588
that's a meaningless statement.
>>
>>81293509
hey man 300 was good
>>
>>81293627

Becuase he wanted to do his edgy House of 1000 Corpses paint-job on Halloween, which was kind of acceptable in the first one.

The sequel is a garbage fire. You wanna talk about some Zack Snyder symbolism the recurring white horse/family motif made me want to rip my damn eyes out, it's such cheap and shitty symbolism and its surrounded by some of the worst character I've seen in a horror movie.
>>
>>81293644
>claim its a horror movie
>there's nothing horrifying, it's just a cheap thriller
back in my day we shot people like this with rocks
>>
>>81291150
You're absolutely right.
It's a shit adaptation.
But it's great capeshit at the same time.

I mean don't get me wrong, I feel the same way about it as I feel about Star Trek 2009. I hate them both with a passion for what they're not, but that doesn't mean they don't do something completely different right.
>>
>>81290948
Watchmen was a shit movie, not just a shit adaptation. I'd be okay with Watchmen: the Action Movie if they had paced, scored, and re scripted with that goal in mind.

The goat capes movie remains Mystery Men.
>>
>>81290948
Snyder is an objectivist and thus lower than garbage, everything he touches turns to shit.
>>
>>81293644
blame the Saw franchise for that, I think Horror should go back to what it used to be - the uncomfortable feeling like you get like you don't wanna watch the screen
>>
>>81290948
I would say that there's not still a definetive Comic Books Movie, but I do tend to consider Wtachmen Ultimate Cut that movie.
>>
>>81293862
There has actually been some really good horror recently.
>the uncomfortable feeling like you get like you don't wanna watch the screen
Have you seen The Witch? Would highly recommend it if that's what your looking for.
>>
The Rocketeer
>>
File: Ant-Man[1].jpg (146 KB, 1393x770) Image search: [Google]
Ant-Man[1].jpg
146 KB, 1393x770
>>81293542
>>
Watchmen is a totally superficial adaptation. It looks like Watchmen almost shot for panel, and the ending have a bomb rather than a tentacle beast is really insignificant, but the movie more or less misses the point entirely.
>>
>>81294266
literally the most underrated superhero movie in history, everyone seems to forget it but it's probably the best superhero movie, not only as in the comic book medium but as an actual good solid action movie, from an era where superhero movies weren't exactly that well produced and written.
>>
>>81292331
Came here to post this.
>>
>>81294545
Honestly I forgot about it until these post, and I am sure most of /co/ has never seen it. From what I remember it was a decent film.
>>
File: 1457388314266.jpg (13 KB, 233x281) Image search: [Google]
1457388314266.jpg
13 KB, 233x281
>>81294473
Fucking this
>>
>>81292819
Hence why it's a good adaptation. It doesn't use the original comic as a one to one storyboard and still somehow contrive to miss the finer points of the source material.
>>
If someone made a fan edit of this movie with some of the music removed and the Rorshach vs Police fight edited down you'd all think it was 10/10
>>
>>81291355
Spider-Man 2 is the best video game of all time.
>>
Funny, I just watched the ultimate cut last night, made it way better
>>
>>81290948
Its the precurser to MoS and BvS. Pretty images and dialogue taken straight from the books with zero soul or spirit. It's like Zack Snyder is obsessed with filming a bunch of Dr. Manhattans in our world with Batman's tone.
>>
>>81293588
>If a grandma had a dick, she would be a grandpa.
>>
>>81295321
What is the 2014 Midnight Cut?
>>
>>81290948
It came out at the wrong time.

If it had came out recently, "after" audiences had started to feel super hero fatigue, it would of had a more lasting impression on movie going audiences.

They made the Watchmen movie pretty early on when comic book movies were still pretty fresh, so a lot of general audiences didn't really know what to make of the movie.

Maybe if they re-advertised it now....
>>
>>81292575

This is how that film adaptation of the Bernardo and Homolka serial killings supposedly went.
>>
>>81293462

The sixth one was already overflowing with it.
>>
>>81300227

>Another incident Misha Collins described involved the director and writer of the script, who said to Misha after the rape scenes, "That was really hot."
>>
>>81290948
It's shit.

Shit tone. Shit soundtrack. Shit characterizations.

It takes more than a few "wow that looked cool" moments for me to like a movie based on something I was already familiar with.
>>
>>81290948
Did anyone else find Rorshach's death to be arousing? Did they do that on purpose?
>>
File: desperado-banderas-hayek[1].jpg (119 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
desperado-banderas-hayek[1].jpg
119 KB, 600x400
>>81290948
Snyder liked the visuals of the comic but didn't understand any of it thematically.

Sin City is a better direct adaptation and Robert Rodriguez is a better director.

Snyder was brought in for 300 to be a knock-off Rodriguez, same way he was brought in for Man of Steel to be a knock-off Nolan.
>>
>>81291247
>visuals over actual substance
But anon, visual codes on a visual media ARE substance.
>>
>>81300740

>Sin City is a better direct adaptation and Robert Rodriguez is a better director.

All the sadder that his filmmaking career is now floundering.
>>
>>81300920
Real artists sometimes burn themselves out.

Hacks go on forever.
>>
>>81300920
>In 2011, Rodríguez announced at Comic-Con that he had purchased the film rights to Heavy Metal and planned to develop a new animated film at the new Quick Draw Studios

>As of May 2009, Rodríguez plans to produce a live-action remake of Fire and Ice, a 1983 film collaboration between painter Frank Frazetta and animator Ralph Bakshi. The deal was closed shortly after Frazetta's death.

>In October 2015, it was reported that Rodriguez will direct Battle Angel Alita with James Cameron and Jon Landau producing.
Is this guy the hero /co/ needs?
>>
>>81292560
It's sad too. The joker is supposed to be fucking terrifying because of how nonchalantly insane and psychotic it is. You think that he's just a loon then he has this one little moment of clear self salience and you wonder just how insane he really is.

The entire time in that movie he seemed to be trying to hard. Like every moment on the screen he was trying to justify his motives and even justify his own existence, like some sort of sardonic teenage girl. In a way it's kind of close to the original work, but the likeness breaks apart almost completley if you have anything more than a passing familiarity with the source material.

They could have made a god tier batman movie, but instead they just made Hamlet. I've got nothing against Shakespear, but that amount of proselytizing in a superhero movie is just cringey to be honest.
>>
>>81301116
Hero?
He is no hero.
He is a god.
>>
>>81293408
its hardly subtlety when it comes to alan moore
>>
>>81293509
i wanna agre with you but snyder's films have been pretty good, only weak one was MoS
>>
>>81301169
I like it when joker's characterization is a bit ambigious. Is this a sane guy pretending to be crazy, a genuinely crazy person, or an nihilistic absurdist?

I also like when he behaves in a manner which would be disarming if you didn't know him by reputation.

Haha. Pie in the face. Haha. Oh shit he just shot me and has already forgot about it.
>>
>>81293539
desu, RZ seems like someone who simply doesnt care
>>
>>81293749
300 was a highly entertaining, but very bad movie.

Likewise, a Big Mac is a very tasty, but horrible hamburger.
>>
>>81293862
idk, Saw started out really strong for the first two films at least. I would say the genre really went to shit when Paranrmal activity came out
>>
>>81293523
I like Rob Zombie's stuff.

He unabashedly loves lowbrow grindhouse schlock and always has. He pursues that aesthetic with 100% commitment and loves doing it.

He's like Ed Wood or something.
>>
>>81293644
>Directors and target audience are sadistic masochist who just want to watch people die horribly. The monster is the hero.

Well that's basically slasher flicks, which is a subset of horror.

When I watch Nightmare on elm street, I gotta admit, I'm rooting for freddy.
>>
>>81301368
Or another option

>Charity ball
>Clown man walks walks into a room and shoves a pie in someone's face
>Pulls it back throws a little smoke bomb on the floor and runs away like he's invisible
>Pie face man starts laughing
>Whole room starts chuckling
>Pie face man starts laughing harder
>Whole room starts rolling on the floor laughing
>12 dead and 32 in critical condition from exposure to joker gas
>Event is robbed blind and even the donations box at the front door is empty
>Batman momentarily questions his own existence before remembering that his parents are still dead

Fuckin' Joker man
>>
>>81301645
That's NoES biggest downfall in my opinion desu.

The movies (especially later ones) made Freddy too likable and forget to make you care about the teenagers he kills.
>>
>>81291281
IMHO think the point is that they have failings that you would expect of people in their shoes but that we rarely see in superhero stories. For example Owlman was never meant to be shabby. His subplot was about the feeling of impotence one might expect if one retired from being a superhero. And Dr. Manhattan was supposed to represent how a person would feel disconnected from the rest of humanity if one acquired godly powers. Rorschach and Ozymandias were supposed represent different perspectives that might drive one to become a superhero and the ultimate conclusions one might make given those perspectives.

There was maybe one line by one of the superheroes about how Dr. M showed them up, but that's about it.
>>
File: 1456375488535.jpg (22 KB, 330x244) Image search: [Google]
1456375488535.jpg
22 KB, 330x244
I wish the watchmen was good meme died
>>
>>81290948
Frank Miller is a hack. Watchmen & Dark Knight are both shit. The only reason they're so respected is because the nerds reading them are used to reading stories written for kids under the age of ten.
>>
>>81301431
>a Big Mac is a very tasty

no
>>
>>81293094

you all are delusional, you dont turn up to direct
blockbusters if you are a moron who dont get some comic,
you become big director because you get essence of the comic,
but also you get that those 253 people who liked comic(fans) and would come
and watch the movie is not enough $$$$ for Hollyews.

He played it extremely edgy for a flick of that nature and he did
sent a message that caped caricatures are as/or even more flawed than normies
and their lives suck.

Same with Hackson and Del Torro, i think they got Hoobit & LOTR books, but they had to
take into account that maybe 2% of the people who watched the movies actually read the books.

Example, back when it was LOTR1(Fellowship) premiere, i went with more than 30 people(friends,friends of friends, girlfriends, it just turned out that way, later on we went clubbing etc....), anyways, from us ~30 maybe 4-5 people actually read the books, from those
4-5 , 2 actually appreciated LOTR for what it was.
Same rule apply for every and any capeshit movie.......
Who the fuck ever gave a shit about IronMan, it was some obscure superhero no one gave shit about, but good director and $$$(and I bet ya also 98% of people who went watching that movie never read the comic).

3 biggest superheroes are Supraman(who was admitedly put in the back for last 20 years), SpiderMan(6 movies in 6 years will fuck you up, no one is that interesting) and timeless Batman(who is obviously invincible, movie can loose billions but after credits there will be teaser for sequel).

So, lookin thru the eyes of the normies who go and watch movies in theatre, combo made out of Superman & Batman should make gazillion even if whole movie is about how some 2 rich fuck want to measure dick with alien who is more human than humans.
Watchman, Watchman is good, not as good as Super, but as far as AAA capeshit goes and amount of shit people are able to absorb in 3 hours in theater, its relatively good adaptation.
>>
>>81293542
>parodying Batnipples for the fuck of it
>GOAT anything
>>
>>81290948
It's good but it's not Crumb or American Splendor.
>>81291131
Please tell me the point of making a film which was exactly the same as the comic in every respect, down to panel/shot correspondence...you may as well have made a motion comic outta the book. Most pointless comicbook film of all time.
>>
File: Gloria Swanson not amused.jpg (17 KB, 305x420) Image search: [Google]
Gloria Swanson not amused.jpg
17 KB, 305x420
>>81290948
>mfw there are people
>>
>>81293542
Do you mean in the movie? In the ONE superhero movie where they should have had costumes look shabby, like they were made by people with no experience making costumes?
>>
The shit that it has that are movie exclusive
Doesn't make up for the part that it failed at
>>
>>81304158
>Please tell me the point of making a film which was exactly the same as the comic in every respect, down to panel/shot correspondence...you may as well have made a motion comic outta the book. Most pointless comicbook film of all time.

This shit is the very definition of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". There's no pleasing you fags, huh?
>>
>>81291286
Zack no one wants you here
>>
>>81293084
Because many scenes are straight lifts from the comic. But I agree, the small, critical bits they did cut/alter ruined the entire point of it.
>>
>>81301116
>Battle Angel actually being made
I will fucking believe it when I see it, Cameron has had that on the back burner since he first thought of Avatar, if not before. And without Cameron directing something that has been his brain child for more than two decades, I don't think any other director could step into that role easily.
>>
>>81292621
>you're intelligence is below average
Oh the irony
>>
>>81290948
wow Deadpool sure has that owlman cosplay down
>>
>>81291281
>One of the major points of Watchmen is that all the heroes are pretty shabby.
I wouldn't say that. A lot of them were badass in their own ways.
Nite Owl was nerdy and insecure, but his gadgets were seriously pretty cool. Ozymandias could literally catch a bullet shot at him. Rorschach's sheer bloody-mindedness had him fighting crime, alone, with no money or resources, and the cops chasing him, for several years.
Combine them together and you basically have Batman, at his most overpowered.
>>
>>81291247
"hey Snyder, you know that's not what the writer is trying to get across right"

Snyder: "lol what a nerd, tell you what if you can do more push-ups than me i will take on you're idea"

Dudebros ruin everything they touch.
>>
>>81291468
Scott Pilgrim is a good comic book movie, but honestly once you grow up a bit you realize that the characters are annoying assholes who shouldnt be used as role models (yes, i had to learn this). also being in your 20s isnt as glamorous as the movie or comic makes it out to be
>>
One thing I still don't get is that the movie seems to imply the "watchmen" were actually an active team, even if only briefly
>>
>>81290948
Ive posted so much about hating the Watchmen movie, but fuck it, Ill give Snyder some compliments. At least his action scenes have gotten better since then, the Choreography for the Batman fight in BvS is miles ahead of any of Watchmen's fights
>>
>not Tank Girl
>>
Best comicbook movies are (in no particular order):
Sin City
Batman (1966)
Scott Pilgrim
Spider-Man 2

>>81302497
You are so full of shit I'm surprised you don't overflow every time you open your mouth.

Everything about Snyder's Watchmen adaptation was designed so that audiences would view Rorschach as 'badass'.

Even if that wasn't true and Snyder was actually trying to present heroes as 'even more flawed than normies and their lives suck' HURR SUPERHEROES ARE FLAWED is not a new or innovative take on the genre. Have you ever seen a Batman movie? Bruce Wayne's life is perpetually fucked and most of the time Alfred explicitly points this out. How about Spider-Man? The literal point of that series is that being a superhero sucks and you do it because you're a good person and have responsibility not because it's fun or enjoyable.

The fact that you say '2% of people who watched the movies actually read the books' and then give a statistic where more than 10% of your sample had read the books shows that you're pulling numbers out of your ass. Maybe 2% of the 12 year olds you spent your time with when the movie came out had read LotR but Tolkein's work is some of the most celebrated fantasy in the world and literally [re]invented the genre of high fantasy. Loads of people have read it and a number of elementary school teach The Hobbit as part of the curriculum.

Do you also assume that only 2% of the people who watched Force Awakens or JJ Abrams' Star Trek had watched the original Star Wars/Star Trek?
>>
>>81311506
>once you grow up a bit you realize that the characters are annoying assholes who shouldnt be used as role models
>once you grow up a bit
>>
>>81311958

>You are so full of shit I'm surprised you don't overflow every time you open your mouth.

Just want you to know that I agreed with you here and yet I still didn't bother reading the rest of your post. No idea why you bothered typing all that out.
>>
>>81311421
>Snyder
>Dudebro
dumbass
>>
>>81312231
I dunno, he seems pretty dudebro in interviews
>>
>>81312668
the dude grew up in a christian comune and has a passion for fine art, incidently he likes to work out as well.
>>
>>81313270
Well that explains everything about these films
>>
>>81313342
it really does
>>
>>81291150

But Dr. Manhattan is cool. The original Owl is cool. Ozymandias is misguided, but is without a doubt a fascinating being.
>>
>>81291150

Next you're going to say Before Watchmen was bad.
>>
>>81293801
No fag, it's a great capekino.
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.