[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What good runs did the 90s have?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
Getting back into comics after a long break and going through all the usual suggestions but I'm curious about something else. Everyone knows the jokes about the nineties: Liefield. McFarlane. XXXtreme. Swears and swords. 'These ain't your parents comics!!!'

Even assuming those stories are true and the entire decade hasn't been vilified by repetition of memes and re-posting bad art for easy e-cred, it can't have been an entire decade of garbage. What good stuff did we get, capes or not?
>>
>>81273127
Nothing. Comics stopped being good in the 80's. Thanks to books like Watchmen and DKR everyone tried being extra edgy in an attempt to imitate it but did a poor job of it. Things are only starting get better now because comics are being aimed at "normies/casuals" instead of neckbeards and children
>>
>>81273127

Vertigo dude.

Sandman was a 90's comic.
>>
Stray Bullets
Dark Horse Presents
Astro City
Peter David's Hulk
Hitman
Starman
Giffen's Legion
like, 95% of what Vertigo put out
>>
Hitman
Hellblazer
Astro City
>>
>>81273127
is this a joke, Starman, Sandman, JLA by Morrison, Batman by Moench and Jones, Perez Busiek Avengers, Ellis Stormwatch, Moore Wildcats, Moore Supremeverse. Shit even the stuff that gets vilified had high points. Spawn 8-11 was written by Moore Gaiman Sims and Miller. After that Morrison did three issues with Capullo on art.
>>
The Spectre.
>>
>>81273264
Yeah, 90s were simultaneously GOAT and goatshit.
>>
>>81273127
The Darkness and Witchblade weren't bad, though you must have a tolerance for 90's stuff.
The original 90's Superboy comic was hugely based, so much fucking fun.
The Superman comics of the 90's weren't too bad, but had their moments. Many of the Chuck Dixon-controlled Batman comics were quite good.
>>
>>81273478
So basically literally any era of any media type ever, more or less.
People on the internet shouldn't believe memes and shit Linkara says.
>>
>>81273412
Beat me to it. When the fuck will the whole series be collected??
>>
Milestone and Impact were great. And those were ENTIRE LINES of comics.
>>
OP here. Holy shit, fast work! Thanks so much guys, I'll start on some of that stuff. Sandman is the only thing I've read from these lists.
>>
>>81273127
Spider-Man 2099 is fucking fantastic. Punisher 2099 is great in a different way.
>>
>>81273302
>>81273348
>Hitman
>Starman
>Astro City
Mah niggas
>>
Gaiman's The Books of Magic
Morrison's Animal Man
Morrison's Doom Patrol
I don't know if anyone else liked it, but I liked Resurrection Man
>>
>>81274657
Morrison Animal Man actually ended in 1990
>>
Spawn. No really it started well enough arounf until issue 60 it took a turn for the worse.
>>
ABC Comics
Alan Moore's Supreme and From Hell
Bone
Eightball
Hate
Love and Rockets
Acme Novelty Library
Palooka-Ville
Yummy Fur/Underwater
Peepshow
Concrete
Usagi Yojimbo
Madman
Age of Bronze
Hellboy
Cerebus
>>
>>81277083
A few deep cuts right here.
>>
Morrison's run on JLA is my favorite run of all time
>>
>>81273233
>meme response
>>
File: x-factor87.jpg (117 KB, 400x594) Image search: [Google]
x-factor87.jpg
117 KB, 400x594
>>81273127
My favorite capeshit from the 90s was Peter David's run on X-Factor. It's a shame it didn't last as long; Marvel's insistence on having big X-title crossovers once a year messed up his story plans.
>>
>>81277378
Yeah David always killed it on X-factor. Vol 3 when he finally got to tell a complete story from beginning to end is without a doubt my favorite run on a series ever.
>>
Hitman
Morrison JLA
Moore's America's Best Comics
Ellis Stormwatch
Robinson Starman
Sandman
Ennis Hellblazer
Anything by Peter David
Doom 2099
Legends of the Dark Knight (the entire series)
Earth X
Paul Jenkins Hellblazer
Hellboy
Black Hole
Cerebus the Aardvark (I can't find dates on it but I think it was still good in the 90s if it ended in 2004)
>>
Milligan's X men
Shade the changing man
Sandman mystery theatre
Waid's Flash
Milligans Tec.
>>
>>81273127
Sandman and Legends of the Dark Knight were both great
>>
File: Aquaman17_(1996).jpg (49 KB, 300x465) Image search: [Google]
Aquaman17_(1996).jpg
49 KB, 300x465
>>81273264
>>81273302
>>81273348
>>81273392
>>81274657
>>81277083
>>81277933
>>81278673
I'll add Peter David's Aquaman run to the list
>>
File: DAWN.jpg (114 KB, 362x500) Image search: [Google]
DAWN.jpg
114 KB, 362x500
The 90s were a good time for indies.
Try Joe Linsner's Dawn
or
If you're really patrician try Kabuki by Mack.
>>
It was pretty much a very shit era for Marvel, but a great era for DC, with great defining runs for most franchises, like Justice League (JLI and JLA), Superman and family (Byrne and Jurgens era), Batman and family (everything after Knightfall was great untill the early 00s), Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Captain Marvel, Lobo, L.E.G.I.O.N., Starman, Hitman, plus a bunch of stuff I'm probably forgetting

That only considering monthlies, and not the many graphic novels and elseworlds minis
>>
File: Concrete by Chadwick.jpg (193 KB, 496x750) Image search: [Google]
Concrete by Chadwick.jpg
193 KB, 496x750
pic related. the whole run and various minis are good
>>
>>81278673
>Milligan's X men
I'm a diehard Milligan fan, even loving his commonly derided Hellblazer run and having bound Shade into my own custom hardcovers. I'm also a huge X-Men fan, owning every Uncanny/Legacy title from 1977 to 2012 in floppies.

Milligan's X-Men was awful.
>>
Spider-man 2099.
>>
>>81273547
Probably not any time soon, though they actually did release the entire thing digitally on Comixology after they stopped doing the trades.
>>
>James Robinson Starman
>Ordway Shazam
>Peter David Young Justice
>Garth Ennis Lobo, Demon and Hitman
>Mark Waid Flash and Impulse
>Ostrander Martian Manhunter, Spectre and Suicide Squad
>90s Superboy (always forget writers name, Kersch?)
>Sandman Mystery Theatre

Won't mention obvious Vertigo stuff like Sandman, Hellblazer, Lucifer, Preacher, Transmet etc...

90s DC was best DC
>>
>>81273127
Almost anything Darkhorse was good during the 90's
>>
>>81279867
90's Superboy was Kesel, I think
>>
someone should take this thread and make a "90s comics weren't shit" list
>>
>>81273127
Just off the top of my head:

DC
>Starman
>The Demon ongoing (Alan Grant, later Ennis)
>L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S.
>Hitman
>various Lobo mini's and oneshots
>INVASION!
Darkhorse
>Multiple Aliens minis
>Multiple Predator mini's
>multiple AVP minis
>Godzilla
>The Mask

Really anything you find by Keith Giffen and Alan Grant in the 90's is pretty good
>>
>>81281496
Most of Marvel's were complete shit
>>
Trencher.

I would bet you could pick up issues anyplace that has a bargain bin, and that shit was so fun.

Unique visual style that may not be pleasing to most, but it took the piss out of the era and was a good ride.

Seriously, if you have a half price books or LCS around you, dig around their bargain bin, you'll probably find a copy.

Also, The Maxx.
>>
>>81274657
Second resurrection man
>>
>>81281496
Marvel was pretty shit
>>
>>81279373
Seconding this.
>>
File: punisher51a.jpg (189 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
punisher51a.jpg
189 KB, 700x1050
Faust
Challengers of the Unkown
Hellstorm
Thunderstrike
Ladronn Cable
Igor Kordey Cable
Kelley Jones Batman
DC's Black Hood
Andy Helfer The Shadow
Deadman
Scarab
Chain Gang War
Carnage one shots
The Nocturnals
The Mace
Terror Inc.
Justice Inc.
Deathblow
Team 7
Chase
JLA
Vigilante
Viking Glory
Gunfighters in Hell
Schizo
Biologic Show
Fate
Law Dog
Eros comics
Verotik
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.